Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I hadn't thought about them after they first appeared, but I really enjoy the teen who is also a vicious union-crusher.

It’s an inspired take on teenaged superheros mixing high school and their secret crimefighting lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I missed Dr. Sweetchat's first appearance and had to go hunt it down, what an atrocious loving character for an audio medium, I loved it.

Also Lily Sullivan scuttling around in the background off-mic while hunting for for "Francesca's" phone was great too.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bookending the year with Dr.Sweetchat was a great decision.

Gil Ozeri might be my MVP for this year, though I can't think of a Lily Sullivan appearance that didn't have me laughing my rear end off.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Sweetchat this time was entirely unintelligible, to everyone, not just the listening audience. 5 stars.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still really want them to release the first episode without the voice processing on as I couldn’t understand it for poo poo and I think it’d be funny to listen to everyone not understand someone I can interpret normally.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I still really want them to release the first episode without the voice processing on as I couldn’t understand it for poo poo and I think it’d be funny to listen to everyone not understand someone I can interpret normally.

I laughed so hard when Gil accidentally turned the voice off and it sounded terrible when it turned it back on and said "oh my god"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Dr. Sweetchat sounded sick this time

I didn't have that hard of a time understanding him until everybody started trying to repeat what he was saying.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ozeri seems to be talking into a microphone through a keyboard or synth. It's not a filter they can just remove. The Christmas episode he's calling in through Zoom.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha funny enough I just got to his section of the Xmas episode and yeah, probably no raw audio exists. A shame!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Dr. Sweet chat almost killed me while driving. 10/10 best guest

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Oyyyyyyyyyy Veyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I had to pause and rewind so many times. what a classic.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Dr Sweetchat is amazing, but I still think one of the best Xmas specials was the one with Peter Griffin.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

jeeves posted:

Dr Sweetchat is amazing, but I still think one of the best Xmas specials was the one with Peter Griffin.

That was definitely a strong one. We got to hear Leo Karpatze really expand his range with a Christmas carol!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

This holiday special made me realize more than ever that even though a lot of old classics aren't on as much anymore there are so many great newer talents that come on the show and are amazing.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Bookending the year with Dr.Sweetchat was a great decision.

Gil Ozeri might be my MVP for this year, though I can't think of a Lily Sullivan appearance that didn't have me laughing my rear end off.

And I have to agree, Gil and Lily are MVPs of the year. Lily is just so consistently good and Gil just killed it each time he was on.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I love lily, yeah. I know she already has 1.5 CBB presents shows, but i wouldn't hate it if francesca got one too

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

kdrudy posted:

This holiday special made me realize more than ever that even though a lot of old classics aren't on as much anymore there are so many great newer talents that come on the show and are amazing.

I remember a few years ago Scott was kind of hemming and hawing about how they were making changes to the show that some people wouldn't like when talking about talents cycling out, and a lot of the show's repeat guests from the early days hadn't been on in a while. Like you, this episode is when it dawned on me that even the second gen staples that were new back then have kind of fallen away as they have careers or focus on their own projects, while another generation of performers are becoming regulars. (Also that I have been listening to the show for a decade now and am getting old.)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

For me that happened sometime in early Fall just before the tour. The new regulars are really strong, and anytime an older regular stops in they meld perfectly. It's hard to not feel like we're in a bit of a golden age of CBB at the moment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It feels like Scott is a lot happier to just sit back and let the guests play these days. Going back and listening to old episodes where he's trying so hard to steer the show is a bit tough, and the games and segments and such generally fall completely flat for me. It's much more fun as a platform to interview insane weirdos.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I would like Scott to bring back Would You Rather and the Cake Boss. :corsair:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

cakeboss

There actually was a Would You Rather (with the full theme song, silence enforced and all) on a semi-recent episode but to my shame I can't remember specifically which one

It came up organically, and I think Scott did it mostly to show why he doesn't do it anymore lol, it felt like a very old bit all of a sudden

Sometimes I think about going back to the old episodes, but then I remember some of what those old episodes were like (crazy how the show's audience is mostly white guys) and decide to just leave the past where it is, the show is good now too

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I remember when Lauren had brought in Would You Rather as a threeature for Threedom and just genuinely didn't know it was a game they used to play on CBB. PFT saying the CBB version was "would you rather peepee out your poopoo or poopoo out your peepee" is going to stick with me forever.

I am glad they got away from the games, but I'm also someone who thinks Scott is often a detriment to his own show, so whatever. The new standouts are all great, and I feel like things have only gotten better since CBB World launched.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SpacePig posted:

I remember when Lauren had brought in Would You Rather as a threeature for Threedom and just genuinely didn't know it was a game they used to play on CBB. PFT saying the CBB version was "would you rather peepee out your poopoo or poopoo out your peepee" is going to stick with me forever.

I always think of Sean's "And would you rather be honey or your grandpa's a tissue box" example on Hollywood Handbook. (Where they did clearly defined segments early on because when they met with Scott about launching a podcast, Scott's advice was "You have to have segments; listeners love segments!")

Ainsley McTree posted:

There actually was a Would You Rather (with the full theme song, silence enforced and all) on a semi-recent episode but to my shame I can't remember specifically which one

The Erin Whitehead/Seth Morris episode a few weeks ago.

I just got around to watching this and lol @ "sharing my special secrets with a guy in a tunnel"

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 15, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

One newish Scott bit I really like is openly criticising his guests improv. Near the end of a character segment he'll say "and is that everything?" and the guest tends to wither.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

RandolphCarter posted:

Bring back WHOOOOO Said it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev_1R6ftYlY

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

heard this bit a thousand times and it still gets me

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I remember my first attempt to get into the CBB podcast years and years ago because I binged the first couple seasons of the show and loved it. I bounced right off the podcast at first because I didn’t really know how different the formula was. I slowly got into it more and more because I had so much time to listen to podcasts at my last job. Honestly I think it’s better than ever in the years that I’ve been listening. The guests in the Christmas episode all piling on Scott is just great.

Maybe thanks to Threedom and Scott Hasn’t Seen he feels less compelled to play the character of “Scott Aukerman”. So the show feels more relaxed as he lets the guests just go hogwild and he gently nudges them along. But also I could be talking about of my rear end!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

A lot of it is just that Scott is low key a loving amazing stage setter for improv. On the main show he basically never hogs the spotlight by choice (half of Lily's characters are borderline making fun of this, saying he wants to eat poo poo or is ordering hentai), but is a master of pumping the gas or breaks. When a person comes on is bombing, and is a friend, he knows when to break the wall and go "well this isn't working well is it". Hardly ever does that for newbies tho, and tends to help guide them towards premises otherwise.

He's not unsung per se, but it's noticeable listening to bad improv podcasts how drat great Scott is at what he does.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I also enjoy how for the interview portion of the Real Celebrity episodes he goes out of his way to never ask a normal question that the guest would have heard 100 times by now on the junket. I come away learning very little new information about the project that the celebrity is there to promote, but I like when they catch on and relax and have fun with it

I was a big fan of the podcast since around the end of the Comedy Death Ray era, and then kind of fell off around the time covid hit (just because I suddenly found myself listening to a lot fewer podcasts and CBB never made the top of that short list, but it does kind of sound like if I had to miss a part of the show, the all-zoom era wasn't a bad one to miss) and am honestly really delighted that it's still good, but in a new, slightly more mature way and not just a bunch of 50 year olds trying to chase a dragon

It's still one of those podcasts where I'll usually only tune in if there's a guest name I recognize that I like, but that's most of the episodes these days, they've got a good group of talent

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

CatstropheWaitress posted:

He's not unsung per se, but it's noticeable listening to bad improv podcasts how drat great Scott is at what he does.

I remember when Besser had a St. Louis(?) improv group on his show because they won a contest and it was not very good, and Besser wasn't really helping them that much. You kinda don't realize how good the regulars are that are on the earwolf shows, and many of them have been doing it for very little pay for 20+ years.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Gabrus loving rapid fire roasting the poo poo out of Scott at times really reminds you that the dude has been doing it for over 22 years.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mr. Squishy posted:

One newish Scott bit I really like is openly criticising his guests improv. Near the end of a character segment he'll say "and is that everything?" and the guest tends to wither.

"That's your voice?"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Especially if it's Lippert.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

There's a recent episode where Scott bullies either Lippert or Hines (can't remember which) into changing things up when the next guest came on, and then Scott says "oh you think it didn't go well?"

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I think it was Griffin Newman as the YouTube reviewer

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
The guy (sorry I never pick up on anyone's names) saying he was considering not revealing the amoeba bit if the first part went better was a hilarious example of that behind the scenes stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

I think it was Griffin Newman as the YouTube reviewer

Also applies to Lippert's half-baked vampire character, iirc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Annabel Pee posted:

The guy (sorry I never pick up on anyone's names) saying he was considering not revealing the amoeba bit if the first part went better was a hilarious example of that behind the scenes stuff.

Can’t wait til the Best Ofs just for stuff like this. Finding out that OJ Simpson slipped Scott a piece of paper saying not to mention the murder was incredible.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Can’t wait til the Best Ofs just for stuff like this. Finding out that OJ Simpson slipped Scott a piece of paper saying not to mention the murder was incredible.

What was the line, "please don't know that I murdered people"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty sure that was it yeah!