Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Hold off on spending any money since MSFS has the most free study-level aircraft of any sim.

The most recent Update 11 includes a study-level A310 and a full-fidelity G1000NXI.

The latest Open Beta includes study-level upgrades to the Citation CJ4 and Longitude. As well as improvements to the Garmin G3000/5000 and 430/530 systems.

There is a freeware full-fidelity A320Neo by FlyByWire.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Are there any real airline livery mods that can be easily added to make AI Deltas Delta and Uniteds United? Also, is the E170/175 mod that just came out worth the $16.99? It seems like a steal compared to the CRJ-7/9/10 that's $50.

FSLTL adds liveries for every airline you can think of and probably a lot more you can't, as well as models for planes that aren't in the game. If you run the injector it comes with it will add a lot more AI traffic than the sim has by default, but it will also add the correct livery and model to the stock AI traffic if you don't want to bother with the injector. And, the installer you need for it will also give you the excellent FlyByWire A320 mentioned in the post above.

There are two E17(0/5)s that I know of. There's one by Virtualcol that's been out for a while and is probably what you're talking about given the price. Consensus seems to be that it's, uh, "appropriately priced." Like it isn't unplayable garbage but it's definitely not comparable to most of the planes that sell in the $50+ range. (Or the stock/freeware "$50 planes" like the A310, FBW A320 and WorkingTitle Cessna bizjets) The other is by Flightsim Studio and isn't out yet, but it will probably be $50+ and have the quality to match.

Theris fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 15, 2022

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

The virtual col one is basically a model strapped to the default 320. The CRJ is good but unless you really want a a CRJ, I’d skip it. It’s pretty well made but it was one of the first aircraft to drop and people have definitely done a lot more impressive things in the sim. The BAE 146 is definitely worth a look in my opinion. The PMDG 737 is also very good, and if you don’t care about having the 700 or 800 for your immersion, the 600 is an absolute steal.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Wolfy posted:

The PMDG 737 is also very good, and if you don’t care about having the 700 or 800 for your immersion, the 600 is an absolute steal.

It's also really cute. :3:

But I bought the 800 because I have terminal Flight Simmer Brain.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Thanks for the feedback. If I'm dropping $50, it's going to be for something I really want. Like the 757. That's "shut up and take my money" territory.

I miss the days of PMDG, POSKY, etc. having lots of free stuff to download as was the case with FS2004. Maybe that'll build up over time.

Theris posted:

FSLTL adds liveries for every airline you can think of and probably a lot more you can't, as well as models for planes that aren't in the game. If you run the injector it comes with it will add a lot more AI traffic than the sim has by default, but it will also add the correct livery and model to the stock AI traffic if you don't want to bother with the injector. And, the installer you need for it will also give you the excellent FlyByWire A320 mentioned in the post above.

There are two E17(0/5)s that I know of. There's one by Virtualcol that's been out for a while and is probably what you're talking about given the price. Consensus seems to be that it's, uh, "appropriately priced." Like it isn't unplayable garbage but it's definitely not comparable to most of the planes that sell in the $50+ range. (Or the stock/freeware "$50 planes" like the A310, FBW A320 and WorkingTitle Cessna bizjets) The other is by Flightsim Studio and isn't out yet, but it will probably be $50+ and have the quality to match.

I installed both, sat for a few minutes at ATL, and saw a ton of Generic AI traffic in addition to Delta, Southwest, and United, some of which was fairly manic in its flying. Should I uninstall the injector?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I installed both, sat for a few minutes at ATL, and saw a ton of Generic AI traffic in addition to Delta, Southwest, and United, some of which was fairly manic in its flying. Should I uninstall the injector?

If you're using the injector you should turn off the default AI traffic. In the general options tab set "Aircraft Traffic" type to off and Ground Aircraft Density to 0. You'll still occasionally get generic traffic from the injector if it's a type or airline it doesn't recognize or the data is incomplete, but if you're seeing a lot it's probably traffic being generated by the sim rather than live real world traffic from the sim or FSLTL.

Edit: There's a 757 in progress that looks promising: https://youtube.com/@bluebirdsim6044

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

That 757 is probably going to be very good.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I can't wait for the Beechcraft Starship to eventually get released.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Theris posted:

BabyBoeing BestBoeing

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Shine posted:

Flight Sim Megathread: I'm finding excuses to buy this thing

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I love the pdmg 737 but i wish it didn’t tank my frame rate even more

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It could be because I'm flying an unfamiliar cockpit on the sim at this point, but this feels like Knob Turning Simulator right now moreso than previously. I hate the autopilot on the CJ and may switch to something with a more familiar like the 747, A310, or A320.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bentai posted:

I can't wait for the Beechcraft Starship to eventually get released.

Watch Beechcraft refuse to let it happen because they're trying to wipe the Starship from existence.

Speaking of cool non-existent planes, I want an Eclipse 400, just because it looks so cool. (I looked up to see if there were any similar looking VLJs and love how looking up lists of cool very light jets always ends with 'and then the company went bankrupt')

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 16, 2022

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Theris posted:

But I bought the 800 because I have terminal Flight Simmer Brain.

Does the 800 feel different enough to warrant the extra money?

Normally I wouldn’t care, but I live next to a southwest hub and I want to fly the approach over me.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Watch Beechcraft refuse to let it happen because they're trying to wipe the Starship from existence.

MSFS projects are often playing the copyright version of "I'm not touching you!", since no one wants to pay the licensing fees to manufacturers, so lack of permission from Beech may not matter.

As an example, the Carenado Cessna 182 and 337 don't have the Cessna name or logo anywhere in the models, textures, or documentation, (same with their D-18, Bonanza, and Staggering and Beech), so it appears that Textron has seemingly decided they have better things for their legal department to do.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MikeJF posted:

Speaking of cool non-existent planes, I want an Eclipse 400, just because it looks so cool. (I looked up to see if there were any similar looking VLJs and love how looking up lists of cool very light jets always ends with 'and then the company went bankrupt')

*bursts into the thread, panting*

PiperJet

*keels over dead*

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

azflyboy posted:

MSFS projects are often playing the copyright version of "I'm not touching you!", since no one wants to pay the licensing fees to manufacturers, so lack of permission from Beech may not matter.

As an example, the Carenado Cessna 182 and 337 don't have the Cessna name or logo anywhere in the models, textures, or documentation, (same with their D-18, Bonanza, and Staggering and Beech), so it appears that Textron has seemingly decided they have better things for their legal department to do.

The Carenado D18S definitely has the beechcraft logo on the outboard sides of both cowlings. I couldn't figure out how to remove them when I was reskinning my aircraft to match a local bird.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I have MSFS and the Black Square Steam Gauge C208 Cessna Caravan. I have been considering trying to plan out vfr flights across the US in approximately one hour long legs. Are there any tools that might make that easier than clicking around in MSFS and hoping there is somewhere close enough to fly to?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You bet!

http://www.skyvector.com

You'll have to learn how to read a VFR chart, but this is a tool used by real pilots for flight planning every day.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Are there any good options for non-sim flight games? I greatly enjoyed Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Wings of War, and Crimson Skies back in the day. Right now I finished the Star Wars Squadrons campaign and it's more or less what I'm looking for. Il-2 with minimal realism settings is also fun, but I have yet to successfully complete a single ground attack run because of how much the plane shakes close to the ground.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Are there any good options for non-sim flight games? I greatly enjoyed Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Wings of War, and Crimson Skies back in the day. Right now I finished the Star Wars Squadrons campaign and it's more or less what I'm looking for. Il-2 with minimal realism settings is also fun, but I have yet to successfully complete a single ground attack run because of how much the plane shakes close to the ground.

War Thunder might be up your alley.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lobsterminator posted:

No! Save yourself!!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Ace Combat 7 and Project Wingman are both fun arcade flight games that I love to play. I haven't tried it but WarThunder is supposed to fall into this category.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lobsterminator posted:

I have other sources for leaked military documents already.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

You bet!

http://www.skyvector.com

You'll have to learn how to read a VFR chart, but this is a tool used by real pilots for flight planning every day.

Skyvector has spoiled me. I'm flying into Europe now and I'm getting all annoyed that I can't get detailed information on airports and pretty vfr maps anymore.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Hekk posted:

I have MSFS and the Black Square Steam Gauge C208 Cessna Caravan. I have been considering trying to plan out vfr flights across the US in approximately one hour long legs. Are there any tools that might make that easier than clicking around in MSFS and hoping there is somewhere close enough to fly to?

Skyvector is great, but also look into Little Navmap. It's free and is a super powerful planning tool.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

If you have a VR headset, VTOL VR is great.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I use skyvector for airway, airspace, and procedure development in the real world. It’s a lot faster and easier to use than the tools we have.

:v:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bedurndurn posted:

If you have a VR headset, VTOL VR is great.

I'm a DCS snob and I hate how good VTOL VR is.

It's approchable enough that most of my friends can get into it, and advanced enough that it keeps my interest.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hekk posted:

Thanks for mentioning that Steam Gauge add-on. That's the kind of content I enjoy, but I haven't been keeping up with 3rd party stuff.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ace Combat 7 is on mega-sale right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/bandai-publisher-sale/

e: and yeah, VTOL VR is excellent.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Hopefully the Black Square stuff comes to the in game store soon.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007

Tiny combate arena from microprose seems like something on that genre.
I havent tried it, but its on my wishlist for some time.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Micr0chiP posted:

Tiny combate arena from microprose seems like something on that genre.
I havent tried it, but its on my wishlist for some time.

Similarly, The Brew Barons looks like it could be good fun, but it's not released yet.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Scruff McGruff posted:

Similarly, The Brew Barons looks like it could be good fun, but it's not released yet.
The flying physics felt really good in the demo.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Scruff McGruff posted:

Oooooh! I had totally forgotten about that. I remember seeing some trailer ages ago. Added that to my wishlist. It seems to have a demo, but I think I'll wait for the proper release.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Is there any sort of simple control mode in this game as, for example, EA Sports put into the NHL games when they brought back NHL 94 controls?

I landed long at Catalina Island and hit the reversers on a King Air only to never be able to pop them out of reverse again, so I said gently caress it and backed onto the ramp. You used to be able to toggle them by pushing F2 and then cut them off with F1 (which was the key command for idle thrust)

This game would be much more fun if it weren't trying too hard.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Scruff McGruff posted:

I had a blast with the demo, and I hope the full game fleshes it out, and that they successfully ignore the flight sim tryhards who keep making stupid suggestions that nobody who plays a game about harvesting wheat with propellers should care about.There's great potential there.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The Brew Barons is the only game I’ve ever taken the risk to throw Kickstarter money at because it seems like everything I love. I hope it rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is there any sort of simple control mode in this game as, for example, EA Sports put into the NHL games when they brought back NHL 94 controls?

I landed long at Catalina Island and hit the reversers on a King Air only to never be able to pop them out of reverse again, so I said gently caress it and backed onto the ramp. You used to be able to toggle them by pushing F2 and then cut them off with F1 (which was the key command for idle thrust)

This game would be much more fun if it weren't trying too hard.

Should work the same with with this version, I'm guessing the default bindings are just poo poo from an rear end.