Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah I'm not interested in 'is using them' but rather 'how well is using them'. Does the 10 core, 20 core, 30 core GPU make any difference for particular app?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello thread.

Two quick things.

1) I wanted to apologize again for Kramering in here like a putz the last time I was here. It's something I've thought about a few times since then and I feel bad. So thanks for setting me straight and not being too harsh.

2) We've received a handful of reports over the Studio Display conversation from the past few pages. These seems to be a common reason for reports coming from this thread. I've done my own reading, but I'd like to solicit some opinions from thread regulars. I'm mostly looking for insight into how the discussions on the Studio Display have been historically and what, if anything, you'd like to see done about it. If you'd like to share your thoughts on the topic with me, please PM me. I would really prefer the thread move on from the topic for now, as it seems to have done, and I'd really rather not get into moderating discussions in the thread. So please don't take this as an invitation to discuss it here. Please PM me. If you don't have PMs, sorry. I wish users could PM mods and mods could PM users without plat, but alas,

Thanks thread.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Splinter posted:

IIRC there were some GPU workloads/apps that weren't making full expected use out of the M1 Pro/Max GPU cores when those chips first launched. Haven't been following if this is still the case as it doesn't really affect my use cases, but I think Shaocaholica's concern was at least valid at some point.

The main case I'm aware of was (and is) Geekbench.

GB is a suite of many subtests, and each one runs for a tiny fraction of a second. This is a very intentional thing, they decided up front that GB should be fast and easy to run rather than taking half an hour. They also decided that the system should be allowed to go idle for relatively long times between each subtest, because that way the machine won't heat up - GB is explicitly not intended to measure thermally-limited performance.

This is all relevant because in bigger Apple Silicon GPUs, most cores get powered down while the GPU is lightly loaded or idle, and Apple's power management doesn't turn them on fast enough for GB's ultra-short tests to see the full benefit. Other benchmarks (and real apps) which load the GPU for longer periods of time experience better results.

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah I'm not interested in 'is using them' but rather 'how well is using them'. Does the 10 core, 20 core, 30 core GPU make any difference for particular app?

You're probably gonna have to be a little more specific about which apps you're interested in, and even then it's not super likely there's lots of people here who can run direct comparisons between different GPU sizes in those apps.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BobHoward posted:

You're probably gonna have to be a little more specific about which apps you're interested in, and even then it's not super likely there's lots of people here who can run direct comparisons between different GPU sizes in those apps.

Yeah I kinda just wanted to know 'academically' if any one knew of apps that did scale really well or scaled poorly not any particular app.

edit: is there a way to disable GPU cores for scaling testing?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 14, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah I kinda just wanted to know 'academically' if any one knew of apps that did scale really well or scaled poorly not any particular app.

I mean, there's been a ton of documentation and content produced, yes. But to say right now off the dome "this app is good at scaling"/"this app is bad at scaling and doesn't use the new hardware" is difficult. The vast bulk of us, AFAIK, are not mac app developers, and we don't go around reading the latest trade press. Apps that noticeably used to fail on AS enough for us to post about them or for them to be featured in a lay blog or Youtube video have been steadily changing and being fixed or updated/replaced. What was true for a piece of software in 2020 is probably not true for it in 2022-2023 if it's at all popular enough and the company behind it is big and resourced enough.

If you're curious enough, my best recommendation would be to do some googling on the subject. "State of app compatibility and performance scaling on Apple Silicon in 2022" or similar queries. I know that various emulator projects have had very interesting and publicly documented struggles and processes to get AS compatibility working and optimized. Maybe look at channels like MrMacRight, etc to see how gaming performance has evolved both through sanctioned and unsanctioned channels.

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007
I'm in a super niche little world, but I'm hoping real hard for an apple silicon build of Mbox. Even running the intel build through rosetta or whatever on my 14" MBP I can run 20 layers of 1080 pro-res without dropping frames (14 if I wind in some gaussian blur). Can't wait to see what a native build can do.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i have both a poverty spec 14" m1 pro (personal) and a excessive spec 14" m1 pro max (work) and i do machine learning stuff professionally and for my use cases (mostly keras + tensorflow, a little pytorch, some julia/mlj) the two machines are basically interchangeable. a lot of my work can't be done on either in anything approaching reasonable time (or simply can't be done at all because of reliance on CUDA) but for workloads that can be run the max only outperforms the pro by 15-30%. note that almost all of my work is in model development and training. i don't do any kind of inference really. results may be different on that side

i wouldn't pay for extra gpu personally unless i had evidence the base spec pro wasn't sufficient

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I hope and pray the base model 14/16" gets a base spec bump when the M3's finally roll out, but the Apple Tax to spring for 32GB of RAM and 1TB of storage really hurts.

$600 more :cry:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ugh, now that we're into M2 and M3 I'm gonna start confusing them with other things

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Ugh, now that we're into M2 and M3 I'm gonna start confusing them with other things

I always promised myself I'd have one of those in my thirties......stupid Apple monkey's paw.....

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, actually more than a new one on Amazon at at Apple refurb $1,079 vs Amazon New $1049. But the price is slashed so deep on the M1 at new $799 vs $849 Apple refurb on what is technically a current machine, I'm really having a hard time talking myself into the M2 being worth $250 more.

M1 was delivered today, decided to keep it. I don't need the additional power with the M2 and honestly, I like the design of the M1 over the M2.

I tried really hard to talk myself into the M2 over the M1, especially when the price difference changed to $200 instead of $250, but the more I thought about it it, it became more a question on if I should get an M1 or a 14 Pro and I knew the 14 Pro was way overkill for my use case.

The M1 is a solid, solid upgrade over my 2018 Air though, screen is clearly much brighter and the keyboard, I guess I didn't realize how much the butterfly keyboard sucked, even having replaced it once, honestly I was happy with my 2018 Air until the logic board fried.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

has anyone had any luck on an M1MBP14/16 getting 120 fps on a TV with hdmi 2.1, if you're using a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter of any kind? ive tried a whole bunch and it always shows the max at 60hz. most recent one I tried was this one which should obviously have plenty of bandwidth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZTZ9LRR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

can M1MPB14/16s just not do 120hz on an external display unless the display is a monitor with usb-c or displayport?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Mia Wasikowska posted:

has anyone had any luck on an M1MBP14/16 getting 120 fps on a TV with hdmi 2.1, if you're using a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter of any kind? ive tried a whole bunch and it always shows the max at 60hz. most recent one I tried was this one which should obviously have plenty of bandwidth https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZTZ9LRR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

can M1MPB14/16s just not do 120hz on an external display unless the display is a monitor with usb-c or displayport?

the m1/m2 doesn't support hdmi 2.1 and as far as i know there's no adapter that will do emulation of hmdi 2.1. the thunderbolt to hdmi adapters just do passthrough of what the soc supports

(edit: apple might eventually claim they support hdmi 2.1 with no hardware/software change because hdmi 2.0 is technically compatible with hdmi 2.1 but that doesn't mean they'll support all the modes of hdmi 2.1. the current generation of hardware can probably never support 4k/120hz over hdmi)

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 16, 2022

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

the talent deficit posted:

the m1/m2 doesn't support hdmi 2.1 and as far as i know there's no adapter that will do emulation of hmdi 2.1. the thunderbolt to hdmi adapters just do passthrough of what the soc supports

(edit: apple might eventually claim they support hdmi 2.1 with no hardware/software change because hdmi 2.0 is technically compatible with hdmi 2.1 but that doesn't mean they'll support all the modes of hdmi 2.1. the current generation of hardware can probably never support 4k/120hz over hdmi)

Yeah I think this is the issue, I don't believe an adaptor can make a DP signal into an HDMI 2.1 signal, and AS machines currently are only HDMI 2.0. Which is dumb. I'm assuming your TV is 4k - HDMI 2.0 can do 120hz at 1080 but not above that. So yeah, you're stuck at 60hz on that combo afaik. There's no workaround to make a HDMI 2.0 output 2.1.

e; For testing purposes you could see if you can set the TV to 1080P and get 120hz then - it may self report resolution to the OS. That would at least help you know for sure, but TV's probably aren't the best at that. I dunno.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 16, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Internet Explorer posted:

Hello thread.

Two quick things.

1) I wanted to apologize again for Kramering in here like a putz the last time I was here. It's something I've thought about a few times since then and I feel bad. So thanks for setting me straight and not being too harsh.

2) We've received a handful of reports over the Studio Display conversation from the past few pages. These seems to be a common reason for reports coming from this thread. I've done my own reading, but I'd like to solicit some opinions from thread regulars. I'm mostly looking for insight into how the discussions on the Studio Display have been historically and what, if anything, you'd like to see done about it. If you'd like to share your thoughts on the topic with me, please PM me. I would really prefer the thread move on from the topic for now, as it seems to have done, and I'd really rather not get into moderating discussions in the thread. So please don't take this as an invitation to discuss it here. Please PM me. If you don't have PMs, sorry. I wish users could PM mods and mods could PM users without plat, but alas,

Thanks thread.

You're a great mod IE, you're always welcome in the IT thread if they give you any trouble here

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

*tugs collar*
I would like to apologize to all Mac users for the war crime that was Internet Explorer for MacOS.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

*tugs collar*
I would like to apologize to all Mac users for the war crime that was Internet Explorer for MacOS.

It's ok. Did you ever try the Windows version of Safari? It's glass houses all way down.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

*tugs collar*

IE for Mac wasn't much of a problem on an IE-dominated web.
Even when Safari first came out it was still preferable for people stuck on 56K (me.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

*tugs collar*

Apple gave you iTunes for windows so quite frankly I think we gave better than we got.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Lord Bude posted:

Apple gave you iTunes for windows so quite frankly I think we gave better than we got.

iTunes on Windows XP is what had me swear off Apple everything for a long time. It erased my library twice while I was trying to move songs onto my iPod.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kibner posted:

iTunes on Windows XP is what had me swear off Apple everything for a long time. It erased my library twice while I was trying to move songs onto my iPod.

Yea it was kinda instrumental in me being very anti Apple in my youth. I went through a godawful windows mobile 6.1 phone (htc touch hd), 2 Samsung androids, and then 2 Nokia windows phone 8 and windows phone 8.5 phones before I finally bought my first apple product with the 6S plus.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that - pain delivered over the internet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that

I cannot even begin to imagine the volume of booze and/or drugs that must have taken.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I cannot even begin to imagine the volume of booze and/or drugs that must have taken.

well, there was a nearly crippling coke habit, but also Ive had Macs since 1994 (along with many windows machines). So in short, yes.

e; gently caress im old, my first personal Mac was the SE/30. So uh, 1990. Zoomers can pile on now, it's ok. I never had to deal with iTunes on windows tho, always had a Mac around even when my main machine was XP/NT.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 16, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Lord Bude posted:

Yea it was kinda instrumental in me being very anti Apple in my youth. I went through a godawful windows mobile 6.1 phone (htc touch hd), 2 Samsung androids, and then 2 Nokia windows phone 8 and windows phone 8.5 phones before I finally bought my first apple product with the 6S plus.

I'm still partial to Android phones because drag & drop still feels better to me than any kind of sync program. Those worries are still with me today.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

The Lord Bude posted:

those last 2 phones before the 6S+ owned though

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The iPhone 6-8 arc for Apple was dire. Ugliest loving things I've ever seen.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I didn’t mind iTunes for windows but didn’t love it either until I got a Mac. MP3s on windows back then somehow the mindset was all about maintaining your own file folder structure and iTunes is so not about that. It didn’t make sense until I played around with a Mac and actually put my files on there.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

American McGay posted:

The jet black iPhone 7 (aka Vaderphone) ruled though.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

32-bit dirty bitch

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Waifu Radia posted:

those last 2 phones before the 6S+ owned though

They really did honestly. I still think aesthetically the Lumia 920 is one of the all time great phones. The cameras on them were insane for the era. Microsoft had a great product with windows phone 8 and I still shake my head in disbelief at the way they completely hosed it up and dropped the ball in almost every aspect of it. That was really the moment I first realised Microsoft was completely hosed and on a downward spiral and it kickstarted my transition to what is now a basically Microsoft free existence barring my email address.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MrBond posted:

I didn’t mind iTunes for windows but didn’t love it either until I got a Mac. MP3s on windows back then somehow the mindset was all about maintaining your own file folder structure and iTunes is so not about that. It didn’t make sense until I played around with a Mac and actually put my files on there.

The fact that iTunes was a database for music-centric metadata rather than a dumb front-end to an ill-suited files-and-folders structure was a revelation that made me spend years trying to spread the good word. I wrote books about that poo poo, had a blog for ten years talking about it.

My roommate tried iTunes and was immediately nonplussed that it didn't behave like MacAmp and just take a list of files that you dragged onto it and play them in directory order. He thought it was just being random and stupid. I had to devote the next ten years of my life to explaining to people like him that no, music is organized fundamentally along different lines, you don't sort the tracks alphabetically, why would you expect that to be how it works? There's track and album metadata, albums can be compilations with multiple artists who don't appear in a strict folder hierarchy, track numbers should appear separately from the track names, embrace the database

In the books I had to write exhaustively illustrated chapters on iTunes for Windows just for completeness. My dedication knew no bounds

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Data Graham posted:

The fact that iTunes was a database for music-centric metadata rather than a dumb front-end to an ill-suited files-and-folders structure was a revelation that made me spend years trying to spread the good word. I wrote books about that poo poo, had a blog for ten years talking about it.

My roommate tried iTunes and was immediately nonplussed that it didn't behave like MacAmp and just take a list of files that you dragged onto it and play them in directory order. He thought it was just being random and stupid. I had to devote the next ten years of my life to explaining to people like him that no, music is organized fundamentally along different lines, you don't sort the tracks alphabetically, why would you expect that to be how it works? There's track and album metadata, albums can be compilations with multiple artists who don't appear in a strict folder hierarchy, track numbers should appear separately from the track names, embrace the database

In the books I had to write exhaustively illustrated chapters on iTunes for Windows just for completeness. My dedication knew no bounds

you fought the good fight as someone continuing to use itunes to this day, even on windows

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

those were the first iPhones that really lasted years and could feasibly do laptop replacement for a lot of stuff/people

I got a 6 in 2014 and then replaced it with an Apple refurb store 6S in 2018 and then I used that one until 2021

6 had a problem where the front facing camera would detach from the screen assembly and start rattling around inside the phone (“half moon camera” issue), for which I got two free screen replacements, and then the third time I got the three-year old 6S and that thing was rock solid and I still occasionally miss it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Data Graham posted:

This is exactly how I felt about it.

iTunes for windows was awesome for library management, something I’d been struggling with for years with crap like Music Match Jukebox. It was a revelation to me too, and I still use it. Never had it erase my iPod or whatever.

Call me a rube or whatever but literally getting iTunes for Windows in 2004 made me get an iPod because I liked the experience so much, and introduced me to the whole Apple ecosystem.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Last Chance posted:

iTunes for windows was awesome for library management, something I’d been struggling with for years with crap like Music Match Jukebox. It was a revelation to me too, and I still use it. Never had it erase my iPod or whatever.

Call me a rube or whatever but literally getting iTunes for Windows in 2004 made me get an iPod because I liked the experience so much, and introduced me to the whole Apple ecosystem.

a click wheel iPod + iTunes on Windows was my return to Apple after a Mac childhood

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

squirrelzipper posted:

32-bit dirty bitch

Mine’s 32-bit clean but that’s because I’ve got a ROMinator. :clint:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

those were the first iPhones that really lasted years and could feasibly do laptop replacement for a lot of stuff/people

I got a 6 in 2014 and then replaced it with an Apple refurb store 6S in 2018 and then I used that one until 2021

6 had a problem where the front facing camera would detach from the screen assembly and start rattling around inside the phone (“half moon camera” issue), for which I got two free screen replacements, and then the third time I got the three-year old 6S and that thing was rock solid and I still occasionally miss it.

as I probably mentioned earlier, I just upgraded from an iphone 6 (yes 6, I bought it refurb maybe 4-5 years ago) a couple weeks ago, so I agree

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I just sold my 2017 mba to my coworker, it's for his son (mainly schoolwork). I had also sold the mba before that (2011 or 2012 I think) to him for the same son. his son was still using the 2011 one, so he's super pumped :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Last Chance posted:

The problem specifically with iTunes for Windows wasn't really the iTunes parts but the way they just ported like all of Carbon to Windows made the thing run like absolute dogshit, even today.