Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it' basically healthy scratch.

https://twitter.com/dhockey13/status/1603468002871357440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Klim Kostin owns, retire his drat jersey

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Conor Timmins - 4GP, 4A, +2, 62.1% xGF%, 75% GF%. This is despite falling on his rear end at least twice every game.
Rasmus Sandin - 30GP, 13P, +10, 57% xGF%, 67.7% GF%.

Will these trends continue? I doubt it, but hey, it's nice to see the stalwart defensive dynamo Leafs carry on thanks to judicious dumpster diving. (Mete and Hollowell suck poo poo, but Benn was okay the 6 games he managed to play)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
https://twitter.com/rmnb/status/1603483305441116162

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I assume it basically means healthy scratch, i.e. still counts against the cap

It's more than a scratch. It's like IR except no injury, where there's an actual reason to be away from the team but not health related. They get the roster spot opened up but no cap space. Usually for stuff like birth of a child or death in the family.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/needlesonnews/status/1603481738897940485?s=46&t=AIfDyX2OQMcQkK4r6xMfOw

People are discussing their hot takes on realignment ideas rn. Random, but it’s interesting to see people suggest there be fewer games per season.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

People are discussing their hot takes on realignment ideas rn. Random, but it’s interesting to see people suggest there be fewer games per season.

They're fun thought experiments, but the owners and probably even players won't be looking for fewer games in a season for the fact that if there are fewer games, then the cap doesn't go up and when it does it goes up slower.

Four team divisions would lead to dumb geographical things like dumping the California teams + Arizona together and having a dumpster fire division. And then dumping Seattle into Canada-West. I don't see this leading to a better season/playoff experience either, because you're taking only 2 from every division and in years like this with a stronger Metro division, you'd be missing out on one of those teams that would make it via wild card right now.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Non-roster means they can call someone up to replace him, as opposed to being scratched where he still counts against the 23-player limit.

eXXon posted:

Conor Timmins - 4GP, 4A, +2, 62.1% xGF%, 75% GF%. This is despite falling on his rear end at least twice every game.
Rasmus Sandin - 30GP, 13P, +10, 57% xGF%, 67.7% GF%.

Will these trends continue? I doubt it, but hey, it's nice to see the stalwart defensive dynamo Leafs carry on thanks to judicious dumpster diving. (Mete and Hollowell suck poo poo, but Benn was okay the 6 games he managed to play)

They sure don’t look great on the ice, but Sandin has stopped hilariously whiffing on 1 stretch pass every game and Timmins looks serviceable although I’m still waiting for him to actually connect on a one-timer. They’ve played few enough games that it’s hard to separate their play from their opponents just not taking advantage and the big guys going on a heater, still.

With any luck Timmins bumps Mete off the roster entirely, and if that’s all he does well then good trade imo

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Hmm Josh Mahura has dressed for every game this year and is somehow +17 for the Panthers despite only playing around 15 minutes a night on average. Maybe the Ducks shouldn't have waived this 24 year old kid in order to fit Nathan Beaulieu into the lineup

It's so frustrating watching the Ducks because I just know that a goon collective could do a better job of running that team.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I dunno. The Ducks are bad but they're bad on purpose. It's easy to forget that they're basically icing a NCAA roster, in terms of age (that's an exaggeration, but like half their lineup is real young). Zegras, McTavish, Drysdale, Terry, and Lundestrom already has the makings of a pretty good core, and Terry is the oldest at 24. They have some other decent prospects in the pipeline too like Olen Zellweger and Nate Gaucher. Then you figure they add one of Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, or Carlsson this summer and I think they'll turn it around pretty quickly. They have the potential to be scary good in a few years.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
wasnt there a period of time after the lockout but before the half season lockout where teams played each team in their division 8 times a year.
i just remember the wings playing nashville like every goddamn night

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I dunno. The Ducks are bad but they're bad on purpose. It's easy to forget that they're basically icing a NCAA roster, in terms of age (that's an exaggeration, but like half their lineup is real young). Zegras, McTavish, Drysdale, Terry, and Lundestrom already has the makings of a pretty good core, and Terry is the oldest at 24. They have some other decent prospects in the pipeline too like Olen Zellweger and Nate Gaucher. Then you figure they add one of Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, or Carlsson this summer and I think they'll turn it around pretty quickly. They have the potential to be scary good in a few years.

They're young, but their contract situation isn't great for a team that's miles away from the playoffs. Zegras, Drysdale and Terry are all RFAs this offseason and are going to get paid. Then they are going to have to replace almost their entire D corps with whatever cap space is left.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

clean ayers act posted:

wasnt there a period of time after the lockout but before the half season lockout where teams played each team in their division 8 times a year.

I remember this mostly because when it happened the Stars were in the Pacific division and it felt like half the games they played would start at like 9:30 pm Dallas time.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Simplex posted:

They're young, but their contract situation isn't great for a team that's miles away from the playoffs. Zegras, Drysdale and Terry are all RFAs this offseason and are going to get paid. Then they are going to have to replace almost their entire D corps with whatever cap space is left.

They have 13 million in space right now and Klingberg (7M) Shattenkirk (3.9M) will almost certainly be traded/not re-signed. Maybe Adam Henrique (5.825M) and Kulikov (2.25) too. They're still going to be bad, but having young players called up to fill roles won't be a problem for them. Like Olli Juolevi, remember that guy? Apparently he's in the Ducks system now. The cap won't be a problem. Zegras might get paid but Drysdale and Terry will get bridge deals I bet.

They're still going to be bad for the next year or two, but it's not going to last forever with the talent they have in their system.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you're a team giving up 4+ goals against per game, replacing your entire defense sounds good actually.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

clean ayers act posted:

Before Atlanta moved to Winnipeg and they did the realignment, teams would play other teams in their division six times a year. They would play teams in the other divisions in their conference a bunch of times but would only play once against teams in the other conference, iirc. Then they changed it to at least a home & home with every team.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Before Atlanta moved to Winnipeg and they did the realignment, teams would play other teams in their division six times a year. They would play teams in the other divisions in their conference a bunch of times but would only play once against teams in the other conference, iirc. Then they changed it to at least a home & home with every team.

ok yes this is what i was thinking of. there were years where you would never see some teams in your home barn

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What is non-roster status?

Player counts against the cap, doesn't count as one of the 23 people on the roster, doesn't have to be placed on waivers to do it

edit: I'm dumb, didn't see this page.

fermun fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 16, 2022

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

clean ayers act posted:

ok yes this is what i was thinking of. there were years where you would never see some teams in your home barn

Yeah I didn’t get to see Nashville in person until they did the realignment. But then I went every year, and rooted for Nashville because Buffalo sucked for a while.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

ThinkTank posted:

When he retires I hope someone makes a super cut of all his identical ovi spot goals over the year to show how little it changed over two decades and yet no one could ever figure out how to stop it.

I want to see someone make a supercut of like 50 different shots from the same camera angle but different games cut together into one smooth shot going in. He has so many shot from the same place this ought to be possible.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They have 13 million in space right now and Klingberg (7M) Shattenkirk (3.9M) will almost certainly be traded/not re-signed. Maybe Adam Henrique (5.825M) and Kulikov (2.25) too. They're still going to be bad, but having young players called up to fill roles won't be a problem for them. Like Olli Juolevi, remember that guy? Apparently he's in the Ducks system now. The cap won't be a problem. Zegras might get paid but Drysdale and Terry will get bridge deals I bet.

They're still going to be bad for the next year or two, but it's not going to last forever with the talent they have in their system.

Terry's already on his second contract, he's not signing a one year(?) bridge deal. Given the market for young defensemen who are worth a poo poo, you are absolutely going to have to give a 7-8 year deal to Drysdale.

eXXon posted:

If you're a team giving up 4+ goals against per game, replacing your entire defense sounds good actually.

Imagine the guys who can't crack the lineup on that team. Now imagine having to play 2-3 of them every night.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Simplex posted:

Imagine the guys who can't crack the lineup on that team. Now imagine having to play 2-3 of them every night.

Some of it is so they can hit the cap floor. The Ducks are just really bad this year and I’ll be surprised at this point if they don’t start selling early and get real solid positioning for the lottery.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
That's the first Rangers win in the retro jerseys this year.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

rangers win 5 in a row and the devils can’t beat philly with 50 shots. balance is being restored.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Simplex posted:

Terry's already on his second contract, he's not signing a one year(?) bridge deal. Given the market for young defensemen who are worth a poo poo, you are absolutely going to have to give a 7-8 year deal to Drysdale.

Yeah, but the Ducks have only $39.7 million under contract next season and Bettman said the salary cap should be around $83.5 million next season up from the current $82.5 million. The Ducks will get a chance to secure 3 guys for a long contract this summer.

Bridge deals would absolutely be a mistake because the players debt from the covid-shortened seasons will be fully paid very early in the 2023-24 season and the salary cap will raise by something like $8 million for the 2024-25 season, long contract extensions this summer will become bargains 1 year on.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I hate sports betting, but I should have bet my life savings on Jimmy Vesey scoring against the Leafs.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Simplex posted:

Even if you're right, and they give all of them 7M+ or whatever, they have the cap space.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Dr Zaius posted:

I hate sports betting, but I should have bet my life savings on Jimmy Vesey scoring against the Leafs.

They had to lose sometime! I’m kinda glad the pressure’s off before I go to a game next week

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/needlesonnews/status/1603481738897940485?s=46&t=AIfDyX2OQMcQkK4r6xMfOw

I really like that first tweet's schedule. Those last games would be wild. Guys would be really loving each other up in anticipation of the playoffs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/HabsInHighHeels/status/1603584437521973249?s=20&t=j-gnHl3V40uqwjPhpzu5dg

E: mods pls make any of this the thread title

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Pens are currently in their 'play statistically good hockey and accumulate wins and points doing it' part of their season. Depending on Malkin's injury/issue they are beginning to enter or have entered the 'injuries piling up' part. Rejoice it means much less Rex posting books on things. Despite an incredibly fortuitous hat trick Kapanen still stinks and Dumoulin is washed. Also Jeff Carter isn't really 3rd line center material anymore :(

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens are currently in their 'play statistically good hockey and accumulate wins and points doing it' part of their season. Depending on Malkin's injury/issue they are beginning to enter or have entered the 'injuries piling up' part. Rejoice it means much less Rex posting books on things. Despite an incredibly fortuitous hat trick Kapanen still stinks and Dumoulin is washed. Also Jeff Carter isn't really 3rd line center material anymore :(

Crosby and Sullivan didn't make it sound like it was serious but I can't count the number of times I've heard that xyz player is fine only for them to be out for a month a few days later.

Hopefully Geno's not dead though. I don't want to see the Jeff Carter 2c experience very much

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Can the habs please opt out of reverse retro? Please?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Can the habs please opt out of reverse retro? Please?

It's extremely bad and I feel like it's loving up their play because they should not be losing these fuckin games

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

DancingMachine posted:

I agonized over whether to renew my tickets after the Kraken's disaster first season. So glad I ended up doing it and hyped to see them at #3 in point percentage in the NHL right now. They might be overperforming but they definitely don't suck!

Since I wrote this post the Kraken are 1-5 with 13 GF 24 GA. Apologies to my fellow Seattle hockey fans for having a some hope.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils quickly slipping on the division lead and I don't really expect them to hold it much longer considering their very difficult stretch coming up.

Just don't implode guys -- yesterday should have been a W if not for Hart in God mode so I'm hopeful they can stop the slump against Florida.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

clean ayers act posted:

From 2005-06 to 2007-08 teams played 8 games against their 4 divisional opponents and did not play any games against one division from the opposite conference. It was pretty unpopular as it meant that fans in the West didn't get to see Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin early in their careers. Once it had cycled through the three years the league rolled it back to six divisional games with a home and away game against every team in the league.

It did result in a three game mid season mini series between the Canucks and Oilers that was a bloodbath by the third game though, that was pretty cool.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Calling it now, Ruff will be fired with the Devils in 6th place in late January

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ThinkTank posted:

From 2005-06 to 2007-08 teams played 8 games against their 4 divisional opponents and did not play any games against one division from the opposite conference. It was pretty unpopular as it meant that fans in the West didn't get to see Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin early in their careers. Once it had cycled through the three years the league rolled it back to six divisional games with a home and away game against every team in the league.

It did result in a three game mid season mini series between the Canucks and Oilers that was a bloodbath by the third game though, that was pretty cool.

My memory is that those Leafs/Sens games were brutal. And they just kept coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008