Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Got the first hard win off the back of . Actually worked out to be easier than the normal runs so far once I had eccentric in the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Eccentric is a beast. There are so many items that he works well with.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Wittgen posted:

Eccentric is a beast. There are so many items that he works well with.

Until your cursed run has you pick right side blank and all of a sudden he's a level 3 Gambler.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Finally broke the 300 barrier for Blursed. I was done in by the massive bonuses to monster sides and 3 graves spawning ~20 skeletons on the first turn as a result.

Things I see as essential to get this far.
  • Bolt - Bolt is love and life. Its damage efficiency is basically unparalleled and it makes mana generation all the more important.
  • Boss Smash - You need this as you get higher in the runs, as accumulation of curses means you are increasingly at a disadvantage and monsters get stronger. It is especially key at the beginning of new cycles further in the run when your Level 1s become woefully outmatched due to curse accumulation.
  • Health boosts for heroes / health nerfs for monsters - You need at least one of these, although obviously both is better (and you should prioritize reduction of monster health). Being able to kill snipers/thorns via bone damage and making it easier to kill statues and graves is a huge boon.

At a certain point, you'll start preferring to keep Level 1 or Level 2 heroes over Level 3s (except e.g. Valkyrie) due to taking easy-to-handle curses like the reduction of Level 3 hero HP, though the pendulum will swing back when you get Boss Smash+ (+3 to all sides during boss fights) which dramatically improves heroes like Wizard, Fencer, etc. who previously were good, but only become truly exceptional with items.

Other tips:
  • Do NOT take Worse Items (-1 item quality) until you have either Treasure Seeker or Shiny. Items of level -1 (and sometimes 0) are cursed and can really screw you.
  • Treasure Seeker makes cursed items dramatically more bearable via giving you extra slots, though I didn't get it this run unfortunately.
  • Some heroes that can really help carry you, particularly as you get higher in the run: Trapper (killing enemies of 4 health or below is insanely good, esp. statutes and graves, and Vulnerable can also be clutch for high health enemies), Spellblade (mana is king and Boss Smash makes her amazing), Collector (very versatile and boss smash is a huge comparative boost for him vs. some other early yellows), Armorer (multi-target shield and smithing are clutch), Druid/Fey/Herbalist (honestly all level 2 reds are decent to great, not much to say here), Caldera (multi-target damage is important and his firebrand is a good finisher) and Spark (again, autokilling certain enemies via his spell is excellent).
  • Absolutely no surprise to anyone, but Valkyrie can carry you insanely far. This is its own bullet because of how good Valkyrie is.
  • Avoid any curses that put a cooldown on or remove burst prior to getting Bolt. After you have bolt, they are basically free curses.
  • Avoid Death Shield and Shield Response curses at all costs unless your alternative is one of: Slow Spells, Permadeath, Mundane, Heavy Weapons, Undying Monsters, Back to Basics, or something equally devastating.
  • The Vine spell (frmo Herbalist) is extremely efficient at dealing with Statues, Graves and otherwise spending remaining mana.

One other interesting thing on this run were the two tweaks I got: -2 HP to all (both heroes and monsters) and Power Up (+1 to Hero sides, +2 to monster sides). -2 HP one was definitely worth it. I think in retrospect I would forego Power Up next time not because it is bad in normal battles, but because in battles with enemies with stone health, you're going to get overwhelmed (as I did per my screenshot above).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 12, 2022

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I was stoked to hit 154 yesterday and you just go double that and go further.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Inceltown posted:

I was stoked to hit 154 yesterday and you just go double that and go further.

Someone else in this thread hit like ~375 or 380 I think! As you saw, my prior best was 196, so you'll get there eventually. There is a real rollercoaster trend I think. At the beginning of a blursed run, you have more advantages than disadvantages due to blessings. Difficult ramps steadily until ~60 or so then drops again as you get more blessings. It levels out until around ~120, when you start to run out of "free" / easy-to-handle curse options, leading to another difficult spike. Your synergies make it easier from ~180 or so until mid 200s, when it becomes pretty painful as you then run out of even "I can work around these" curses and are left with increasingly debilitating ones.

Edit: It was Pain of Mind on Page 31 with 396.

Also, Tann, I have 129/131 achievements, but only one shows up (Soul Link) on the incomplete achievements list. Any idea what causes this or whether the final 131st achievement is intentionally concealed?

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 12, 2022

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

It's kind of funny you think "there is no way that I could beat that effort" and then a day later the rng gods shine on you and yesterdays max effort is todays not even breaking a sweat.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
On that note, I just broke level 200 for the first time when my previous best was 99. I will say that holding on to Burst is really worth it (at least for a while) if you pick up Cruel Burst. 4 damage for 2 mana is a solid finisher spell, and being able to slam 4 shield on a hurt hero is extremely valuable as well.

Also, if you get Treasure Seeker and Shiny with no item level- curses, you start getting Infinity basically every run because the level 10+ item pool is so small. It is very satisfying to instantly kill the endboss three loops in a row :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

TravelLog posted:

Someone else in this thread hit like ~375 or 380 I think! As you saw, my prior best was 196, so you'll get there eventually. There is a real rollercoaster trend I think. At the beginning of a blursed run, you have more advantages than disadvantages due to blessings. Difficult ramps steadily until ~60 or so then drops again as you get more blessings. It levels out until around ~120, when you start to run out of "free" / easy-to-handle curse options, leading to another difficult spike. Your synergies make it easier from ~180 or so until mid 200s, when it becomes pretty painful as you then run out of even "I can work around these" curses and are left with increasingly debilitating ones.

Edit: It was Pain of Mind on Page 31 with 396.

Also, Tann, I have 129/131 achievements, but only one shows up (Soul Link) on the incomplete achievements list. Any idea what causes this or whether the final 131st achievement is intentionally concealed?

I'm at 128/131, exact same question except I also have to get 6 keywords on a side.

...also getting soul link to show up is completely RNG, right?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Managed to lock myself into a draw for 20+ turns of waiting for the enemy to finally roll enough flat damage to overcome 7 regen a turn.

Goddamn running into Hexia with both a spell heavy party and no source of purify was rough. Almost managed to recover after stacking regen on the whole party but the main damage dealer got petrified early on and from then on out it was just death by a thousand cuts.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

TravelLog posted:

Finally broke the 300 barrier for Blursed. I was done in by the massive bonuses to monster sides and 3 graves spawning ~20 skeletons on the first turn as a result.

Things I see as essential to get this far.
  • Bolt - Bolt is love and life. Its damage efficiency is basically unparalleled and it makes mana generation all the more important.
  • Boss Smash - You need this as you get higher in the runs, as accumulation of curses means you are increasingly at a disadvantage and monsters get stronger. It is especially key at the beginning of new cycles further in the run when your Level 1s become woefully outmatched due to curse accumulation.
  • Health boosts for heroes / health nerfs for monsters - You need at least one of these, although obviously both is better (and you should prioritize reduction of monster health). Being able to kill snipers/thorns via bone damage and making it easier to kill statues and graves is a huge boon.

At a certain point, you'll start preferring to keep Level 1 or Level 2 heroes over Level 3s (except e.g. Valkyrie) due to taking easy-to-handle curses like the reduction of Level 3 hero HP, though the pendulum will swing back when you get Boss Smash+ (+3 to all sides during boss fights) which dramatically improves heroes like Wizard, Fencer, etc. who previously were good, but only become truly exceptional with items.

Other tips:
  • Do NOT take Worse Items (-1 item quality) until you have either Treasure Seeker or Shiny. Items of level -1 (and sometimes 0) are cursed and can really screw you.
  • Treasure Seeker makes cursed items dramatically more bearable via giving you extra slots, though I didn't get it this run unfortunately.
  • Some heroes that can really help carry you, particularly as you get higher in the run: Trapper (killing enemies of 4 health or below is insanely good, esp. statutes and graves, and Vulnerable can also be clutch for high health enemies), Spellblade (mana is king and Boss Smash makes her amazing), Collector (very versatile and boss smash is a huge comparative boost for him vs. some other early yellows), Armorer (multi-target shield and smithing are clutch), Druid/Fey/Herbalist (honestly all level 2 reds are decent to great, not much to say here), Caldera (multi-target damage is important and his firebrand is a good finisher) and Spark (again, autokilling certain enemies via his spell is excellent).
  • Absolutely no surprise to anyone, but Valkyrie can carry you insanely far. This is its own bullet because of how good Valkyrie is.
  • Avoid any curses that put a cooldown on or remove burst prior to getting Bolt. After you have bolt, they are basically free curses.
  • Avoid Death Shield and Shield Response curses at all costs unless your alternative is one of: Slow Spells, Permadeath, Mundane, Heavy Weapons, Undying Monsters, Back to Basics, or something equally devastating.

One other interesting thing on this run were the two tweaks I got: -2 HP to all (both heroes and monsters) and Power Up (+1 to Hero sides, +2 to monster sides). -2 HP one was definitely worth it. I think in retrospect I would forego Power Up next time not because it is bad in normal battles, but because in battles with enemies with stone health, you're going to get overwhelmed (as I did per my screenshot above).

Nice run, your write-up seems to track with my experiences as well. I wonder if there are some tweaks that can break the game open, I don't think I have ever accepted one. I have not been playing much since the constant 1-100 grind is a pretty tedious use of 3 hours or so, but I started a run yesterday while watching football that seems pretty interesting. It is only at round 65 and I have decent blessings (Save spell, Shiny, Treasure Seeker, Shrink, and Fizzing, but no Bolt or Leyline yet), and got offered a tweak that is +1 to enemies sides but each side becomes single use. On one hand I can see it being pretty detrimental since the +1 will make the first few rounds pretty tough, especially with a lot of smaller enemies. On the other hand I can see it leading to a situation where you can outlast larger enemies if you prioritize defensive blessings and avoid the Doom curse, especially as they get a ton of hp later in the game. The enemies do not get rerolls, so it could be nice to have a bunch of basilisks, caws, or bosses that just run out of sides, or at least do nothing a reasonable amount of times. You don't need to worry about The Hand constantly summoning swords or AOEing since it can only do each thing twice (though I guess that would lead to 2 more swords than normal).

Still hemming and hawing on whether to take the tweak. I quit playing to mull over it more, tweaks are rare so it might be worth the novelty to see if it works out, but I am pretty happy with my blesses so far.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 12, 2022

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That tweak turns eggs and graves into a nightmare. So many goddamn summons. It's never ever worth it IMO. This is especially true in higher Blursed levels, because eventually tiny enemies start stacking an insane number of pip bonuses from all the overlapping and upgrading curses. You really don't want to try to wait out an Archer who's shooting you for 12+ damage every turn!!

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 12, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mirror mask was pretty important to get me past 100 on blurst. It's a good way to double down on better classes and neutralize a couple cursed items.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Heh, didn't know this was possible with a boss, much less Hexia. Not bad for a triple blue run.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Pain of Mind posted:

Nice run, your write-up seems to track with my experiences as well. I wonder if there are some tweaks that can break the game open, I don't think I have ever accepted one. I have not been playing much since the constant 1-100 grind is a pretty tedious use of 3 hours or so, but I started a run yesterday while watching football that seems pretty interesting. It is only at round 65 and I have decent blessings (Save spell, Shiny, Treasure Seeker, Shrink, and Fizzing, but no Bolt or Leyline yet), and got offered a tweak that is +1 to enemies sides but each side becomes single use. On one hand I can see it being pretty detrimental since the +1 will make the first few rounds pretty tough, especially with a lot of smaller enemies. On the other hand I can see it leading to a situation where you can outlast larger enemies if you prioritize defensive blessings and avoid the Doom curse, especially as they get a ton of hp later in the game. The enemies do not get rerolls, so it could be nice to have a bunch of basilisks, caws, or bosses that just run out of sides, or at least do nothing a reasonable amount of times. You don't need to worry about The Hand constantly summoning swords or AOEing since it can only do each thing twice (though I guess that would lead to 2 more swords than normal).

Still hemming and hawing on whether to take the tweak. I quit playing to mull over it more, tweaks are rare so it might be worth the novelty to see if it works out, but I am pretty happy with my blesses so far.

I took that tweak a few weeks ago. I ultimately died going for a defensive playstyle, with my takeaway being that you shouldn't think about it as a tool for going defensive. Instead, the way to think about it it: "How much do I value a steadily increasing 1/6 chance from Turn 2 onward of an enemy doing nothing?"

That can be valuable in its own right, but it depends on what blessings you have. If you have things like Turn 3 Heal, Turn 1 Shield and other stuff that will help you survive the first few turns, coupled with things that can kill the most problematic enemies on Turn 1, I'd probably take it. If you are squishy (e.g. Fragile Middle or Edges, Sandstorm+ or more, etc.) it will probably just kill you rather than helping you.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Eschatos posted:

Heh, didn't know this was possible with a boss, much less Hexia. Not bad for a triple blue run.

I think there is an achievement for Dragon boss fleeing.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Some of the secrets are pretty obscure, I have 15 and would not be surprised if there are 100 of them, to the point where I do weird stuff just because it might be a secret. I equipped Venom with Horned Viper and Poison Dip just to see if there was some poison based secret, but sadly nothing happened.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I got a secret cheevo for killing Hexia with Hex :hai:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Never take the +1 power for +2 monster power tweak. Basalt :negative:

Need a level 8 blessing: turn off basalt and slate :argh:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Just got the preview version of this on my phone, liking it, but haven't made it through normal on 3 attempts so far.

I take it the game scope gets wild once you break out of the initial 20 or so levels it gives you for the free version?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Deki posted:

Just got the preview version of this on my phone, liking it, but haven't made it through normal on 3 attempts so far.

I take it the game scope gets wild once you break out of the initial 20 or so levels it gives you for the free version?

The paid version's core game is also built around 20-level runs, but it has a shitload of alternative game modes you can unlock. The most popular of these is Blursed, which does indeed proceed infinitely (resetting your party and the enemy progression every 20 levels, but accruing more and more blessings and curses).

Speaking of which:

I was so close to 300 :negative:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Slaan posted:

I've had enough of Basalt, period. It ends at least 75% of my Blursed runs. I've had some amazing builds that would crush Hexia or Dragon without effort but they've died on level 16 because Basalt decided to summon Slates three times in a row and 99% of builds just cannot survive.

Suggested fix: add Exert or Self Weaken 1 to the Summon Slate sides. It'll still be tough, and curses will still gently caress you, but at least the auto losses will stop.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

IDK if the stats bear it out, but it feels like Graves or those random lvl 18/19 spawns which have like 6 tough enemies are my main run enders. Graves are just brutal though with a couple of curses and a bad roll.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I'm just throwing my face into the classic unfair streak achievement. I die a lot stopping level 12 or so.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I feel like my most common run ender is the two Alpha Wolves + Warlords and friends, which is around round 14? or so.

I wonder if you could game the achievements to have better runs for Blursed/Cursed. Some bad heroes/items/monsters that you can just avoid unlocking. Some will be impossible to avoid unlocking after a few rounds, but some like Ace or The Hand will be extremely easy to never unlock.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Honestly every single summoning monster is a huge pain in the rear end and not fun imo. Something to keep them from infinitely summoning would really improve things.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Woebin posted:

Honestly every single summoning monster is a huge pain in the rear end and not fun imo. Something to keep them from infinitely summoning would really improve things.

Pick fey or glacia. They're high priority for me purely because of Basalt.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I hammered the "unlock everything" (thanks for both putting that in, and giving me the option to turn it back off!) because there are so many modes I absolutely don't enjoy or am crap at but I just love having so many weird options.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I took a tweak today that has saved my run multiple times. The one where monsters get a pip bonus but all their sides are now single use.

I just had a run against a troll and two caws that killed my entire party except a wizard with 2 HP and no way to heal. Against a full health troll. I won because it didn't roll it's one side that it had left.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Now do a blue one with cantrip mana bomb.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Slaan posted:

I thought I was smart and took this tweak because I had some good items, eventually got all of sorcerer's sides up to 4. More fool me, I rolled X's 3 times in a row and got wrecked immediately!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

There should really be an inverse of Vitality or whatever the "bonus for health gained this turn" one is, where a face gets bonuses based on how much/how many times that hero lost health this turn. Could have some fun synergies with the knife bag, imp statue, other sources of Pain & Cantrip, Cut, Burn, etc.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is there a list of challenges I should go for to unlock cool poo poo? I'm stuck trying to beat hard but I don't know if there's anything that'll make it easier I should do first.

The first few levels are an easy puzzle of finding the right way to kill enemies without dying. Early-mid game you have to think a turn ahead, mid game you have to think about class/item synergies, mid-late is about thinking 2-3 turns ahead, and the end boss is if you can deal with their damage output or not and if you've got some revive die faces.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i prefer to live life in the moment, only playing for the current turn. the future is unknowable

there's probably an unrelated reason that i haven't yet gotten a streak in hard

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

TIL that if you put an Ichor Chalice on someone and have a Doctor cast Liquor on them, you can immediately kill just about anything in the game by aggressively getting drunk at it.

I also learned that Hexia is not impressed when you do this, and will, in fact, reflect 20 points of damage onto your very drunk, very dead adventurer

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It's amazing how much a single fight can trash your whole plan in this game. I had a real good Classic Unfair run going, hit level 17 and a Jinx that makes all my damage sides Heavy just ruins everything.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yes! Yes!!

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS