Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Elendil004 posted:

Any good lets plays on youtube? Ideally someone good at the game doing cool stuff with enough explanation so I'm not totally lost but I've been watching Quill18's beginner play so I feel like I understand the gist.

Only other ones I've been watching are nookrium and tomato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgPNTlYBt48

Waiting on plumphelmet punk to play, but he is waiting for some updates for better storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I dug a spillway shaft into the first cavern layer that includes an access stairway, which caused a whole parade of monster slayers to visit my fort. I think the fort population was half monster slayers for a while. Underground creatures keep running up the stairway into my fort, which gets a bit annoying but admittedly has given me a lot of meat and bones to work with. There's also a bunch of antpeople down there who are marked as Hostile, but they mostly just stand in place and beat up the occasional giant bat or troll for me. The monster slayers totally ignore them, and they also ignore my dwarves as far as I can tell, so might as well leave them alone.

Currently I'm still on my temporary accommodations while I figure out how I want to architect the interior of my fort proper, which always seems to be where I get stuck with indecision. I might expand my "temporary" rooms into a more organic warren of tunnels and workshops dealing with surface goods mostly separate from a more organized fortress below.

And maybe after that I'll build goddamn Blighttown, only accessible from that sewer access shaft.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'm playing a fort down at a Cavern layer. The cavern itself spans about 5-10 z-layers. Is this the "first cavern layer" and should I dig down further I would encounter another set of 5 or so z-layers of cavern, the "second cavern layer"?

Additionally, after setting burrows why are many of my dwarves leaving them to fish, clean fish, and haul poo poo out of the burrow? What is going on with this

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I satisfied the royalty's demands with my massive gold hoards, goblins took over the elf outpost next door and are ramping up their assaults, a grievously wounded forgotten beast appeared at the bottom of my water-filled caverns and hosed off after splashing around there for a while, and I keep digging down because the queen told me to. Hauling anything up from -100 to my workshops is going to be a nightmare.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I set everything to stall, no work orders to be filled except hauling. And my kids to only haul stone. I set it so they should haul the stone from the lowest level of my fort to my stone stockpile, thinking, "This way I'll clear out all the stone from my bedroom level!" Instead of hauling the stone everyone just hosed off to the pub for ten days.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Started an expedition in the frozen tundra. Before I could even strike the earth my 7 dwarves were attacked by a zombie polar bear. No one survived :sweden:

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Mrenda posted:

Can pots be used instead of bins? Or is there something else stone that can be used instead of bins?

you can make metal bins

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mrenda posted:

I set everything to stall, no work orders to be filled except hauling. And my kids to only haul stone. I set it so they should haul the stone from the lowest level of my fort to my stone stockpile, thinking, "This way I'll clear out all the stone from my bedroom level!" Instead of hauling the stone everyone just hosed off to the pub for ten days.

These are the dwarfways.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

does giving your dwarves their own personal study rooms actually help them? i know it makes them more satisfied but do they use it to increase their crafting abilities or something?

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So something seems to be bugged out in my most recent fort. Is it the bookkeepers who also appraise the value of, well, things?

Because my bookkeepers seem to have given up keeping any records (hell their record keeping skill is rusty, although my stocks are up to date). I don't know the true value of any of my artifacts, my rooms, or even my fortress wealth - everything just caps out at saying ~2500? wealth. For instance I have a grand guildhall and it just says ~3500? despite it being above 10k in actual value.

I've assigned different bookkeepers, different brokers, given all of them different offices etc. None of it has helped.
edit: reading through the wiki it might be brokers, but I've changed my brokers around as well to no avail. argh

Clocks fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 16, 2022

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

This guy fucks

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

a fancy cup

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Space Jam posted:

does giving your dwarves their own personal study rooms actually help them? i know it makes them more satisfied but do they use it to increase their crafting abilities or something?

Offices are required for some positions to do their job, like manager or bookkeeper. Other than that I don't think so.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Clocks posted:

So something seems to be bugged out in my most recent fort. Is it the bookkeepers who also appraise the value of, well, things?

Because my bookkeepers seem to have given up keeping any records (hell their record keeping skill is rusty, although my stocks are up to date). I don't know the true value of any of my artifacts, my rooms, or even my fortress wealth - everything just caps out at saying ~2500? wealth. For instance I have a grand guildhall and it just says ~3500? despite it being above 10k in actual value.

I've assigned different bookkeepers, different brokers, given all of them different offices etc. None of it has helped.
edit: reading through the wiki it might be brokers, but I've changed my brokers around as well to no avail. argh

With no evidence to offer, I wonder if it's a skill issue? I don't know how fast those skills gain XP so maybe once a room is so expensive, the appraiser can't figure it out.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I'm playing a fort down at a Cavern layer. The cavern itself spans about 5-10 z-layers. Is this the "first cavern layer" and should I dig down further I would encounter another set of 5 or so z-layers of cavern, the "second cavern layer"?

Additionally, after setting burrows why are many of my dwarves leaving them to fish, clean fish, and haul poo poo out of the burrow? What is going on with this

That's vaguely correct, though I think cavern layers are closely linked; if go down to the bottom of layer 1 and dig, you'll hit layer 2, etc.

In the burrows screen there's an option for your workers to acquire supplies/work items like stone or wood outside their burrow. Turn that off.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just want a nice 5-6 layers of solid rock to build a nice fortress in. :negative:

I started on top of a volcano. My top level is at 56 and my first cavern is at -99. There's no aquifer either! You might just wanna start somewhere higher up.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 16, 2022

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I just noticed my fort library has two books written by the same dwarf and they're both about his divorce: :iit:

Turns out this guy is insanely productive, having authored at least two dozens poems, essays and compositions:

(Yes, he's listed as the author on all of them)

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Those titles are magnificent

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How do purring maggots work? I want to theme my fort entirely around cave life and so I'm taming and breeding naked mole dogs for meat and leather, but I want to milk purring maggots to supplement my food industry. The wiki is very unhelpful so a step by step guide would be appreciated.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

How do purring maggots work? I want to theme my fort entirely around cave life and so I'm taming and breeding naked mole dogs for meat and leather, but I want to milk purring maggots to supplement my food industry. The wiki is very unhelpful so a step by step guide would be appreciated.

Just imagining this as a real-life help request, maybe one written into a magazine.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If the site finder doesn't list, say, Goblins as "neighbors", will you *never* get a goblin raid, or will it just take longer before you get one?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 16, 2022

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

On the subject of copper, it's still worth investing into your MIC if you embark without any easily accessible iron. Otherwise it's trivial to make everything out of steel, especially with default embark mineral abundance.

I need to figure out how libraries work so I can get my own dwarfiction industry started. So much to do!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Appoda posted:

On the subject of copper, it's still worth investing into your MIC if you embark without any easily accessible iron. Otherwise it's trivial to make everything out of steel, especially with default embark mineral abundance.

I need to figure out how libraries work so I can get my own dwarfiction industry started. So much to do!

Copper is so insanely plentiful that it's at least a great way to train smiths. I'm mostly transitioning to black bronze though because it's a huge multiplier. 4 bars in 11 bars out.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there any way to search (either when assigning an item to a pedestal or in the stocks menu) specifically for named artifact items? I have a bunch lying around but I don't know what item type they are :(

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there any way to search (either when assigning an item to a pedestal or in the stocks menu) specifically for named artifact items? I have a bunch lying around but I don't know what item type they are :(

In the pedestal or stocks menu? I don't think so. There's a separate objects view next to the nobles menu in the bottom left that lists out all your artifacts though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I set my finished good stockpile to not allow artefact quality items, and then set up one which would only allow that. Worked well enough and now I don't have to worry about trading them. At least that helps you with looking up the names. You can also look them up on the objects menu!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Demiurge4 posted:

Copper is so insanely plentiful that it's at least a great way to train smiths. I'm mostly transitioning to black bronze though because it's a huge multiplier. 4 bars in 11 bars out.

I always used bismuth bronze back in the day. At least in earlier versions bronze's material values were at least "better than iron," and it was *purple*, and it did something crazy like triple the material value -- you didn't get more bars but each bar was 3x as valuable.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Is anyone else getting a thing where some dialogs show a dwarf's translated name and some show a dwarf's dwarven name?

I ran into this while playing with the Justice screen but it shows up in a few other places too. The crime description lists the witness names like "Urist Shitnickles" but the screen for scheduling interviews just lists dwarven names so you have no idea which is the one referred to in the report.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GOTY

(courtesy of a friend)

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If the site finder doesn't list, say, Goblins as "neighbors", will you *never* get a goblin raid, or will it just take longer before you get one?

I raided Goblin neighbors who were like 10 days away and eventually they came back to raid me. I know this because it was always 1 goblin recruit and 5 Evil Dwarves whereas the neighborly Goblins were always just Goblins.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

How do you make parchments and other stuff necessary for books, scrolls and such?

my fortress works only because of its trading economy pretty much, it relies so heavily on buying every single scrap of stuff you can make alcohol or food out of every visiting caravan that it is really funny. an elven caravan comes in ferrying mostly nuts and berries and my broker just instantly throws an artifact and golden crowns and stuff at the elves and buys every berry that is instantly given to the stills to make more alcohol out of them.

this is the third time this "only nuts and berries" elf caravan has happened. i think the elves know what we need.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Yooper posted:

I raided Goblin neighbors who were like 10 days away and eventually they came back to raid me. I know this because it was always 1 goblin recruit and 5 Evil Dwarves whereas the neighborly Goblins were always just Goblins.

did they do full seiges or just like a little raid

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

did they do full seiges or just like a little raid

Yah, they did sieges. Showed up with like 25 evil dwarves, 4 dwarf snatchers, 5 goblins, and 1 kobold. The kobold may have been a coincidence as he was caught by the Beak Dog Patrol.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

It's slightly convoluted because you have to first go to the "Objects" tab (next to "Justice"), inspect artifacts to see their base item type, then you can assign them to a pedestal by searching for that item type

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

26K 'cause he happened upon some recently-mined diamonds. Hot drat! Considering if I should display it, where I should display it, give it to someone as a symbol of office, or wall it up so no one steals it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This jerklord in a fey mood on my crafting station demands:

bones
silk cloth
plant cloth
logs
rough gems

He went and picked up bones (16 yak bones) and rough gems (1 Rough Rock Crystals). The other things he wants are all in stockpiles in literally the room he is in. I have 5 bins full of silk, one bin full of pig tail cloth, about 40 wood, 10 or so other uncut gems. But he won't go take any of it and start crafting :argh:

e: If I Forbid the bones or gem he took he will immediately go get new ones, but he refuses to open the bins to take cloth, or to take logs from right next to him.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 16, 2022

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I'ma bout to give up on marksdwarves for this run, which is frustrating because they were working. These yellows just stay yellow forever, they never actually grab anything:

I've previously had this entire squad all green and good to go, but at some point they just won't pick up bolts anymore. I've tried-reassigning the uniform a dozen times, made a different uniform with the same choices (the ones that previously worked), made a different uniform with slightly different choices, nothing

It seems like if it's working, DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING because them going off duty starts to mess it up

My last guess is it's the channel trick creating a ton of single bolts, like this, which is messing them up?

But right next to that there's 3 other crates with full new stacks they won't touch:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

This jerklord in a fey mood on my crafting station demands:

bones
silk cloth
plant cloth
logs
rough gems

He went and picked up bones (16 yak bones) and rough gems (1 Rough Rock Crystals). The other things he wants are all in stockpiles in literally the room he is in. I have 5 bins full of silk, one bin full of pig tail cloth, about 40 wood, 10 or so other uncut gems. But he won't go take any of it and start crafting :argh:

One of those might be queued up for some other work in your fortress. Try pausing any work that uses those materials and see if that "frees" them to be used by your fey dwarf.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Nosre posted:

I'ma bout to give up on marksdwarves for this run, which is frustrating because they were working. These yellows just stay yellow forever, they never actually grab anything:

I'm currently having the same problem with my melee squads

I even made a custom uniform specifying the exact material and type, which I have 20+ of in a box inside the barracks, but they refuse to equip the gloves (stay red) or boots (stay yellow), and 3 refuse to equip helms. I've tried everything. Made them replace their clothes with the uniform, wear the uniform over the clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah someone posted you gotta make two uniform sets, one with uniform replaces clothing, to get the boots right, and then another to put anything else on. Too much effort.