Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, it feels like a reimagining of Avatar as a Young Adult series. Like, it's Pandora but it feels like an installment in Harry Potter or The Hunger Games.

Part of that's the refocusing on the kids, but also the way the story is more focused on small-scale teenage social dynamics with the epic good vs evil battle being something in the background until the installment's third act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Dune is set in a desert, it's complete apples to oranges.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

teagone posted:

Yeah I wasn't expecting as many setups that were woven into the plot. I explicitly remember very early-on in production that Cameron's producer said each Avatar sequel was written to be standalone with them all connected through an overarching narrative, but there are very clear sequel hooks left unresolved in this film, e.g., Kiri's whole deal, and recom Quaritch surviving. I had intially thought Cameron was gonna have recom Quaritch side with Jake at some point and have them fight together, and I think now that's more possible than ever to happen in one of the sequels since it's been revealed Spider is/was Quaritch's son. Spider could bridge them together I guess, or something.

This would be smart, but Cameron already said Quaritch will be the main antagonist in all 3 sequels.

And they really cut 30 mins right before release? Guess we’ll get an extended version of this movie on home release too

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

[edit] Recalling more of the film, I think my favorite action beats were the sequences of Neytiri and Jake just icing fools. Especially at the end. poo poo was rad as gently caress :black101:

MLSM posted:

This would be smart, but Cameron already said Quaritch will be the main antagonist in all 3 sequels.

He wouldn't reveal a big twist like that on a whim, so who knows!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The real enemy is America (as always)

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Dune is set in a desert, it's complete apples to oranges.

I don't like dunes, they're coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

MLSM posted:

Maybe they'll just keep on printing new Quaritch backups into new bodies so he can be on both sides in the end. Or it'll just be a generic struggle where he can't make up his mind for a while.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

that was a good time in a movie theater imo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just saw the movie (imax 3D)

BEST FUCKIN MOVIE OF THE YEAR. It’s not even close holy poo poo.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The HFR was done so well and it’s truly an achievement in tech. Gimme avatar 3, 4, 5 , 6 and goddamnit 7 right now baby

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
just got back from an imax 3d showing and wow. just, loving wow.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

It was great! But there are definitely things to nitpick about it -- it dragged at points and could have been a half hour shorter easily. But I really enjoyed it.

Definitely gonna see part 3 opening night which is something I rarely do at all for movies.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The HFR was done so well and it’s truly an achievement in tech. Gimme avatar 3, 4, 5 , 6 and goddamnit 7 right now baby

I wasn't expecting the theater I saw it at earlier today to project HFR (since it wasn't an IMAX or Dolby branded venue, and nothing on the site mentioned HFR), so it was a pleasant surprise. And agreed. I loved the HFR. Those first shots on Pandora had me whispering several variations of "holy gently caress" multiple times lol.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bringing back this tweet:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1600956218457071624

Mr Cameron wasn't lying. The gap in na'vi VFX improvements from the first film to TWOW is loving huge, and completely obliterates any other character based performance capture. WETA FX just completely outdid themselves. There's one scene in particular that my brain just remembered where recom Quaritch moves a little human out of the way while on one of the whaler boats and it looks completely real, it's insane.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 16, 2022

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

This was a great movie. I’m happy I paid for all the fixin’s.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
One thing that gets me during the final big battle is how Sully knocks Quaritch off his dragon mount but then... disappears? Like, Quaritch falls into the water and where does Jake even go? Just abandons the loving leader after clearly not even scratching him.

I feel like a lot of the big battle scene is chaotic in a way that kinda doesn't make sense. With characters disappearing/reappearing in ways that feel convoluted. And we're given pretty much no closure to any of it.

I still just hope poacher dude comes back as Captain Ahab and Jemaine joins the good guys.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

One thing that gets me during the final big battle is how Sully knocks Quaritch off his dragon mount but then... disappears? Like, Quaritch falls into the water and where does Jake even go? Just abandons the loving leader after clearly not even scratching him.

I feel like a lot of the big battle scene is chaotic in a way that kinda doesn't make sense. With characters disappearing/reappearing in ways that feel convoluted. And we're given pretty much no closure to any of it.

I still just hope poacher dude comes back as Captain Ahab and Jemaine joins the good guys.

Yeah, that plus the musical chairs with hostages to keep the fight going was pretty silly. It's a much smaller set piece than the massive war at the end of the first movie, but somehow also much sloppier and less coherent. It's weird because of all of the potential pitfalls the sequel could have fallen into, an incoherent action climax is the last I'd expect in a Cameron film.

Some of it could be fixed in a director's cut that adds more context, but not everything.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Came back but my soul remains in the seas of Pandora.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, that plus the musical chairs with hostages to keep the fight going was pretty silly. It's a much smaller set piece than the massive war at the end of the first movie, but somehow also much sloppier and less coherent. It's weird because of all of the potential pitfalls the sequel could have fallen into, an incoherent action climax is the last I'd expect in a Cameron film.

Some of it could be fixed in a director's cut that adds more context, but not everything.

So I had the pleasure of seeing this film roughly 15 times last month while I was working a job at a film mastering company. It started by watching the film in chunks (the film was split into 15 chunks) and when going through the preroll to the reels, you would hear a few seconds of audio from each of the reels. One of those audio bits was "I can't believe I'm tied up again!" from when Tuk was taken captive the second time on the ship during the battle and I've basically been repeating that multiple times daily because it's such a funny line.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

So I had the pleasure of seeing this film roughly 15 times last month while I was working a job at a film mastering company. It started by watching the film in chunks (the film was split into 15 chunks) and when going through the preroll to the reels, you would hear a few seconds of audio from each of the reels. One of those audio bits was "I can't believe I'm tied up again!" from when Tuk was taken captive the second time on the ship during the battle and I've basically been repeating that multiple times daily because it's such a funny line.

Have you only seen the film in those 15 chunks or have you seen it completely in one setting, i.e., the full ~3 hour runtime? Were those chunks also projected in an IMAX or Dolby Cinema equipped venue?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I'm taking the kid to see it again tomorrow and then do some Xmas shopping. May as well get my fill of the full experience before it's out of cinemas as there is just no way a home screen will do it justice.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

teagone posted:

Have you only seen the film in those 15 chunks or have you seen it completely in one setting, i.e., the full ~3 hour runtime? Were those chunks also projected in an IMAX or Dolby Cinema equipped venue?

I’ve seen it all the way through multiple times as well. I don’t know the specifics of the projector setup, but I’ve seen it in 24fps, 48fps, scope and flat. It’s a smaller theater room in the studio space that I watched it.

I’m actually excited to go see it in imax and get the massive experience.

I will not in any way criticize the visuals of the film because I think it is a beautiful, technological masterpiece. The story, on the other hand, I found to be quite weak.

It’s a film that is absolutely worth seeing in cinema. But I also think that if you can’t see in 3D at the theater, it’s not really worth it. I had the chance to see it in 2D a couple times as well, and it just felt incredibly lacking. (As would be expected)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SadisTech posted:

I'm taking the kid to see it again tomorrow and then do some Xmas shopping. May as well get my fill of the full experience before it's out of cinemas as there is just no way a home screen will do it justice.

I don't think TWOW has any real competition to take it out of IMAX/Dolby Cinema theaters any time soon. It'll probably be around for a while. Road to $3 trillion dollar box office :getin:

Mordiceius posted:

I’ve seen it all the way through multiple times as well. I don’t know the specifics of the projector setup, but I’ve seen it in 24fps, 48fps, scope and flat. It’s a smaller theater room in the studio space that I watched it.

I’m actually excited to go see it in imax and get the massive experience.

I will not in any way criticize the visuals of the film because I think it is a beautiful, technological masterpiece. The story, on the other hand, I found to be quite weak.

It’s a film that is absolutely worth seeing in cinema. But I also think that if you can’t see in 3D at the theater, it’s not really worth it. I had the chance to see it in 2D a couple times as well, and it just felt incredibly lacking. (As would be expected)

Ahh, ok. I'm seeing it on one of the largest IMAX screens next week. Can't loving wait.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I'm absolutely not going to sing the praises of the story because it's serviceable but nothing spectacular and flawed in a number of respects. What I will say, and stick by, is that this doesn't matter and is almost irrelevant. The story is not what this movie experience is about. People suck and want to destroy the environment for profit well no poo poo and it doesn't need wet blue cat people to drive that message home.

This film is about high impact brightly coloured insanely detailed stuff hitting you in your brain to an extent that leaves it almost punch drunk by the end. There are some big emotional beats and some exciting action scenes and it's just basically about awesome spectacular poo poo. Would it be nice to have that and a deep, well told satisfying story? Oh hell yes. Am I going to disparage this experience because it doesn't do that? No, fkn go and see this poo poo on the big screen in 3D and get your mind blown.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Just quoting myself because this is even more relevant now that I've seen the film.

teagone posted:

I feel like directing in stereo 3D is an entirely different skillset that not many directors have. Cameron is one of the few who has a real solid grasp on it, being a pioneer with the tech and whatnot. Most of the general audience probably couldn't articulate why they might've enjoyed Avatar outside of the visuals or whatever, but the strength of the film's direction in the 3D space is definitely a big reason why I think the movie worked as well as it did for so many. It's also why so many other films released in 3D didn't have as big an impact. Avatar was crafted with 3D in mind and shot in 3D with a director who knew how to flim in stereo 3D. A lot of other 3D films that came out in Avatar's wake weren't made as such and/or were converted to 3D in post that looked like rear end. With how 3D has fallen off in the past 13 years, I see the tech being a massive boon again for The Way of Water on the back of Cameron's directing strength.

As per Cameron's own words from a recent interview, I don't think any other director could have made this movie, speaking on a technical level.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I haven't seen the movie but I read the spoilers and Kiki's gonna end up with some or all of "Mom's" memories by the end of the series I bet

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I will ascend if Avatar 5 is literally Jake Sully's Capitalist Jihad. They might even save Earth while dismantling the RDA and the other megacorps.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Mark Kermode really didn't like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM-G84d0RWg

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Most UK critics didn't. Must be the anti-imperialist messaging :razz:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are the Brits still mad that Jim Cameron was mean to a bunch of UK stagehands once?

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

teagone posted:

Most UK critics didn't. Must be the anti-imperialist messaging :razz:

Mark Kermode is a marxist lol

e: classic mark kermode review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHeQeHstrsc (singing of The Internationale begins at 7:13)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

smug n stuff posted:

Mark Kermode is a marxist lol

Oh, well nevermind then! Lmao.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol mark commode

anyhow i've had a chance to sit and think for a bit so here are the bits of the plot that were left as sequel bait that i'm really interested in.

in the exposition they say that earth is dying, and the current plan is to move earth's population (everyone? the important ones?) to pandora.
and that it's no longer about unobtanium (which is the perfect name for that, come at me), but now it's this insanely expensive anti-aging syrum from the space whales that's the main economic driver of the pandora invasion.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It's best to remember the boring blue aliens represent the investor/capitalist class, the people who pretend to be boring blue aliens represent class traitors, and the marines workers seizing the means of production. Cameron is trying to lie to you by saying change can not happen, he is wrong!

THIS IS TEXT!!!!!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Also, as a reminder that might help to inform what the sequels could be about, here are the other title leaks since The Way of Water title turned out to be true:

These might change, but my guess is they won't.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

dr_rat posted:

It's best to remember the boring blue aliens represent the investor/capitalist class, the people who pretend to be boring blue aliens represent class traitors, and the marines workers seizing the means of production. Cameron is trying to lie to you by saying change can not happen, he is wrong!

THIS IS TEXT!!!!!

lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

My opinion of the story is… mediocre at best. The visual experience, in 3D at least, makes up for it though. Only as a sort of theme park ride though. It’s a great ride!

But you can understand why someone who isn’t moved so much by visuals would pan it. It doesn’t have much more to offer and asks you to sit through some really uneven pacing and a lot of thin cliches to enjoy those visuals.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
yeah, i think that any movie targeted at as a broad an audience as possible, instead of me specifically, is pretty shallow and hollow. like, i don't really come at movies as someone saying what's important to them and transporting me to a reality they've seen, i see it more as a service i've earned by paying for a ticket. by those standards, i really think this movie falls on it's face, although admittedly the effects are, compared to the first avatar movie, like a terminator to t2 jump.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Stringent posted:

lol mark commode

anyhow i've had a chance to sit and think for a bit so here are the bits of the plot that were left as sequel bait that i'm really interested in.

in the exposition they say that earth is dying, and the current plan is to move earth's population (everyone? the important ones?) to pandora.
and that it's no longer about unobtanium (which is the perfect name for that, come at me), but now it's this insanely expensive anti-aging syrum from the space whales that's the main economic driver of the pandora invasion.

The overall plot I'm pretty sure is basically gonna be Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, with the Na'vi basically being the Gaians.

Movie was fun, but feels weird pacing and setup wise. I agree the final battle was a bit of an overlong mess and tonally all over the place. It's also weirdly got vibes of a... soft reboot, basically. Well, more like treating the first movie as basically a prologue, this definitely has more 'first of a trilogy' vibes.

My favourite character is the renegade whale. He's goddamn family now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like the weekend song