Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Should've chosen better parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Libertarian I know is about to be homeless after using up the goodwill of his siblings whom he relied upon (thanks to their union jobs).

He doesn’t think children should be taught about the threat of climate change because we’ll have created technology that will fix it by the time they’re adults.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Professor Shark posted:

He doesn’t think children should be taught about the threat of climate change because we’ll have created technology that will fix it by the time they’re adults.

Watching people try to justify or minimise the apocalyptic threat imposed by climate collapse is... almost certainly the most horrifying thing that I have ever seen. It isn't a libertarian thing uniquely - I've seen it from every kind of imbecile on the so-called political spectrum. The greatest crisis that humanity has ever faced and people either deny it, rationalise it or cannot put aside their petty bullshit even in the face of an apocalypse that touches every living thing on the planet.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

The Libertarian I know is about to be homeless after using up the goodwill of his siblings whom he relied upon (thanks to their union jobs).

I thimk kids should be taught about cfcs and asbestos because they're great examples of major problems that society just up and solved for the greater good, so even if global warming is somehow miraculously solved completely in the next 20 years, the kids won't be hopeless doomers about whatever bullshit comes their way next.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thimk kids should be taught about cfcs and asbestos

Those examples involve minor changes to a few industries where alternatives were readily available, and transition was painless. Climate change involves basically every human activity (even renewable energy tech has a carbon footprint), and will require massive changes that people are, and may not ever, be willing to make (austerity, cooperation with the other, leaving the remaining oil in the ground, etc).

They are not the same.

E.brevity

Preen Dog fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 17, 2022

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just think it’s funny he basically believes in magic, just like in Atlas Shrugged

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

Watching people try to justify or minimise the apocalyptic threat imposed by climate collapse is... almost certainly the most horrifying thing that I have ever seen. It isn't a libertarian thing uniquely - I've seen it from every kind of imbecile on the so-called political spectrum. The greatest crisis that humanity has ever faced and people either deny it, rationalise it or cannot put aside their petty bullshit even in the face of an apocalypse that touches every living thing on the planet.

Covid taught me that a huge number of people will gladly march to their deaths in total denial of reality, even to their final breath.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It kind of baffles me that women like the "Redheaded libertarian" are willing to be libertarians. What do they think will happen to them in their own ideal society? She's one of the more ridiculous libertarians as of late as well, as she's extremely pro life, anti lgbt, anti... Femininism it seems as well. It's like if you took the most hypocritical edgelord libertarian and put them in the body of a person that looks uncannily like Wanda Maximoff.

Also, the really ardent anti child trafficking zealot Eliza Bleu also claims to be an An-Cap, which is also a hoot given that she's super into complaining that children are being sexually abused and trafficked (up until Musk took over, now things are so much better!). Again, how do those beliefs even work in libertopia? I guess she just gets tunnel vision about how governments perpetuate human trafficking and doesn't think about anyone else that might have a financial incentive. She's also ardently anti sex work-you're either being exploited by others or exploiting others yourself which seems counter to the idea everyone does their own thing and leaves each other alone.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Panfilo posted:

It kind of baffles me that women like the "Redheaded libertarian" are willing to be libertarians. What do they think will happen to them in their own ideal society? She's one of the more ridiculous libertarians as of late as well, as she's extremely pro life, anti lgbt, anti... Femininism it seems as well. It's like if you took the most hypocritical edgelord libertarian and put them in the body of a person that looks uncannily like Wanda Maximoff.

Like many libertarians, she's actually a fascist. And I'm betting the next reveal with be multiclassing as a trad-cath.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Panfilo posted:

It kind of baffles me that women like the "Redheaded libertarian" are willing to be libertarians.

It fascinates me, horrifies me and amuses me in an incredibly dark away that anyone is a libertarian. The whole 'movement' started as a corporate reaction to all of the gains made by the working class. We've had 70+ years of everything that labour movements stood for being stripped away to the detriment of all but a tiny few to be replaced by knee-jerk, teaspoon-thin tribalism and people bickering over whatever flavour-of-the-month claptrap is currently the media buzzword. A lot of people don't realise that they are being hosed, a lot do but don't know what to do about it, and a few know that it's hosed but it's working for them so gently caress the rest of the plebs. It takes a special kind of media brainwashing and a special sort of idiot to embrace a label that was designed all along to disempower them.

Preen Dog posted:

Those examples involve minor changes to a few industries where alternatives were readily available, and transition was painless. Climate change involves basically every human activity (even renewable energy tech has a carbon footprint), and will require massive changes that people are, and may not ever, be willing to make (austerity, cooperation with the other, leaving the remaining oil in the ground, etc).

They are not the same.

Same is irrelevant - it will still be the death of us. I look forward to mass extinction because doing otherwise wouldn't be convenient. It would be quite appropriate for humanity to be hoisted with its own petard/victim of its own hubris, the problem is taking so much else with it. Humanity destroying itself is appropriate punishment for knowingly irresponsible behaviour, but every other living thing doesn't deserve to be punished for that.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Covid taught me that a huge number of people will gladly march to their deaths in total denial of reality, even to their final breath.

... and just like Covid, the idiots are taking the non with them.

Edit: Added a chapter

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 17, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I think the theory is that the fights for equal rights already happened and were won so there wouldn't need to be continused protracted fights over it, and the current state of things could just keep going. I think one of the points of libertarianism is that it can take like a "neutral" stance on progressive issues instead of having to be all the way regressive.

Of course, libertarianism is a tiny flimsy island in the grand political tides that are shifting around these days, so the party is mostly underwater and practically a branch of the republican party in denial.

Preen Dog posted:

They are not the same.

E.brevity

You sound like a guy who didn't really learn how big of a deal those old fights were to fight and uninterested in the prospect of people being able to do things about their fates rather than consign to doom.

JustJeff88 posted:

doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

JustJeff88 posted:

Remember, unions are bad because they distort price signals from the glorious free market, so employees should be paid as little as possible, preferably nothing. This is absolutely not grossly exploitative and won't lead to a crisis when no-one can afford to buy anothing and/or they die from lack of basic needs.

Unions are ironically libertarian in nature, a free association of sellers forming a sellers cartel in the market for certain categories of labor to improve the price they get.

Of course most libertarians in the US are just small businesses fascists who want to go back to a good old boys Jim crow.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

What did Goutpatrol do to get put in the thread title?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Red and Black posted:

What did Goutpatrol do to get put in the thread title?

Sound like galt

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

SlothfulCobra posted:

You sound like a guy who didn't really learn how big of a deal those old fights were to fight and uninterested in the prospect of people being able to do things about their fates rather than consign to doom.

Are you saying it's likely, or technically possible that was see the changes we need to thwart climate change and biosphere collapse? The global market sacrificing profits, regulatory bodies discarding the status quo, global superpowers not competing for resources, and populations accepting a radical lessening of material comforts and products... I don't see how anything less is progress on this front, and I don't see progress happens without a radical collapse of those structures and powers, because existential threat doesn't seem to be enough to encourage meaningful change.

Such radical global collapse (that seems inevitable at this rate on paper), would be akin to a doomsday scenario for the world we've built.

I guess I don't understand how you can be immersed in these topics but call people doomers. How could one come to any other conclusion without buying into "market based solutions" and such.

I started from ~nothing matters~ and found a way to believe in fighting, in doing the work. Most of the people I talk to can't or won't even reckon with how bad our situation is wrt to preserving a habitable diverse earth. What power might we gain to change our course, what reason might we have to expect things to change when the man-made world most people cling to preserving stands in the way of preserving the only planet that can sustain us?

Let the doom come swiftly, I'd rather we who contributed and benefited from this horrifying scenario shoulder the burden of change than doom most of the future to suffer for our prosperity and comfort. Of course, some who neither contributed nor benefited are already suffering. Hope is unseemly, it's the opposite of doing that hard work.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 17, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

JustJeff88 posted:

It fascinates me, horrifies me and amuses me in an incredibly dark away that anyone is a libertarian. The whole 'movement' started as a corporate reaction to all of the gains made by the working class. We've had 70+ years of everything that labour movements stood for being stripped away to the detriment of all but a tiny few to be replaced by knee-jerk, teaspoon-thin tribalism and people bickering over whatever flavour-of-the-month claptrap is currently the media buzzword. A lot of people don't realise that they are being hosed, a lot do but don't know what to do about it, and a few know that it's hosed but it's working for them so gently caress the rest of the plebs. It takes a special kind of media brainwashing and a special sort of idiot to embrace a label that was designed all along to disempower them.

Eh, while I'd still disagree, I can still see how some people end up libertarian. It's the people who feel like the Little Red Hen, they played the game by the "rules" yet are frustrated by the people they feel could help make the cake but choose not to. The people that chose the life of the ant over the grasshopper, but see the discourse about how the grasshoppers of the world are the real victims.

But people like this usually do come from privilege of some degree or another of course, and that is the reason I find it surprising when a woman identifies as being libertarian. They'd have to kind of go out of their way to ignore systemic injustices by virtue of their chromosomes, and turn around and blame other women for the same things that affect them. I suppose privilege insulates them as well to a degree, though even so not nearly as much as privilege can benefit a bright and driven middle class white guy.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Panfilo posted:

Eh, while I'd still disagree, I can still see how some people end up libertarian. It's the people who feel like the Little Red Hen, they played the game by the "rules" yet are frustrated by the people they feel could help make the cake but choose not to. The people that chose the life of the ant over the grasshopper, but see the discourse about how the grasshoppers of the world are the real victims.

But people like this usually do come from privilege of some degree or another of course, and that is the reason I find it surprising when a woman identifies as being libertarian. They'd have to kind of go out of their way to ignore systemic injustices by virtue of their chromosomes, and turn around and blame other women for the same things that affect them. I suppose privilege insulates them as well to a degree, though even so not nearly as much as privilege can benefit a bright and driven middle class white guy.

I, and I think a lot of others, realized that the "rules" were bullshit around the 2008 recession. My whole life I was told that I go to college (hell, I even got an engineering degree!), graduate, and then I'll have people lining up to give me a job. Instead I got somewhere between nothing and sweet gently caress all for opportunities. Now we're at the point where it's almost impossible to even just afford to live in most of the country. Even as an experienced engineer with a great high paying job, rent is an absurd amount of money to the point where affording a 1-2 bedroom apartment is more than 1/3 of my income.

This poo poo just isn't sustainable, and people are looking for something to blame for why it's not working. An increasing number of people are understanding that it's an intentional byproduct of a society structured to funnel as much money as possible straight up to the top. And some of them see government as the bogeyman instead of the very wealthy. And that makes some sense - a lot of very wealthy and very powerful people are in government. They just don't take it to the next logical step and realize that getting rid of the rules that were put in place to help the less wealthy (labor protections, industry regulations, etc.) will only entrench the very wealthy further in control of society.

And then you have the complete and utter morons who blame immigration for their woes, but that's a whole separate discussion.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

People who aren’t smart enough to realize that they’re getting screwed by the rich blame immigrants because they look different and that’s about where they are with logic

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

'Your statements of fact frighten me. I don't want to deal with thinking about sad things, so I'll call you a big poopy head'.

Panfilo posted:

I like how first you play the randist card of hard workers vs all of these parasites to defend libertwats, then snap into the modern smarmy liberal position of how 'white males' have the world on a string while tens of millions of them can barely afford shelter. I could almost hear your gears stripping on that one.

Dirk the Average posted:

And then you have the complete and utter morons who blame immigration for their woes, but that's a whole separate discussion.

It's not, though. Massive immigration is a tool of capital in order to create a glut of cheap labour, drive down wages and create cultural conflicts to keep the heat off of the ownership class. You're correct that people are blaming immigrants and a lot of them are motivated by blind hate, but there is most definitely a foundation for their anger. The problem is that no-one will seperate immigrants as people from immigration as a construct. Immigrants are by and large just average people trying to make a better life, while immigration is a social phenomenon with huge systemic problems. However, the rhetoric these days is that any criticism of immigration is criticism of immigrants, and those are considered a 'protected' minority that cannot be criticised. This is completely intentional on the part of big capital and they just love the fact that people are blaming anyone but them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A lot of the climate doomerism I think is coming from people who haven't heard that in 2020 we elected the most progressive president ever and aren't paying attention to all the things he is doing
https://mobile.twitter.com/POTUS/status/1603782016629149697

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I haven’t been invited to even one of those 194 parties

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JustJeff88 posted:

I like how first you play the randist card of hard workers vs all of these parasites to defend libertwats, then snap into the modern smarmy liberal position of how 'white males' have the world on a string while tens of millions of them can barely afford shelter. I could almost hear your gears stripping on that one.

I know right, like remember who Rand refers to?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Dirk the Average posted:

I, and I think a lot of others, realized that the "rules" were bullshit around the 2008 recession. My whole life I was told that I go to college (hell, I even got an engineering degree!), graduate, and then I'll have people lining up to give me a job. Instead I got somewhere between nothing and sweet gently caress all for opportunities. Now we're at the point where it's almost impossible to even just afford to live in most of the country. Even as an experienced engineer with a great high paying job, rent is an absurd amount of money to the point where affording a 1-2 bedroom apartment is more than 1/3 of my income.

This poo poo just isn't sustainable, and people are looking for something to blame for why it's not working. An increasing number of people are understanding that it's an intentional byproduct of a society structured to funnel as much money as possible straight up to the top. And some of them see government as the bogeyman instead of the very wealthy. And that makes some sense - a lot of very wealthy and very powerful people are in government. They just don't take it to the next logical step and realize that getting rid of the rules that were put in place to help the less wealthy (labor protections, industry regulations, etc.) will only entrench the very wealthy further in control of society.

Think that's a great point. Libertarians or conservatives I meet seem unable to carry that anger across the finish line. When they got burned for believing in all this and doing what they were told, they just blamed somebody and went full fygm. Liberals do it too with trump/chuds (as bad as they are, still a symptom).

It's everybody's inclination to just declare some group, some "other" the enemy and cause of things not working. It's not even just "the rich", there are obscenely wealthy people who donate to causes and treat workers well, though they naturally still believe in the system(s). The problem is the power we wield to destroy our surroundings, and our consent (whether forced or natural) in maintaining and preserving the unsustainable systems we've come to rely on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Also, the really ardent anti child trafficking zealot Eliza Bleu also claims to be an An-Cap, which is also a hoot given that she's super into complaining that children are being sexually abused and trafficked (up until Musk took over, now things are so much better!). Again, how do those beliefs even work in libertopia? I guess she just gets tunnel vision about how governments perpetuate human trafficking and doesn't think about anyone else that might have a financial incentive. She's also ardently anti sex work-you're either being exploited by others or exploiting others yourself which seems counter to the idea everyone does their own thing and leaves each other alone.

Another possibility: an "anti-trafficking zealot" who tries to get fame by sucking up to a billionaire who partied with Ghislaine Maxwell might not be very sincere about opposing child exploitation.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

JustJeff88 posted:

There's no need for hostility. I'm not defending libertarians, check my post history here I've been gawking at and mocking them the whole time. My point was that I see how their distorted logic finds themselves to those conclusions, in contrast to other groups like women who typically have less agency, all things being equal. It makes even less sense for a woman to be a Libertarian because it's going to be harder for them to ignore the contradictions based on their experiences.

People draw lovely conclusions in response to their perceived injustices all the time. What's easier on the ego when other people take advantage of you- to condemn them for doing it or yourself for letting it happen? Libertarians are always going to slam pick the former. And it's also connected to how a lot of libertarians often are highly skilled professionals or small business tyrants.

VitalSigns posted:

Another possibility: an "anti-trafficking zealot" who tries to get fame by sucking up to a billionaire who partied with Ghislaine Maxwell might not be very sincere about opposing child exploitation.
How do you feel that is connected to her considering herself an an-cap though? My guess is another symptom of libertarian beliefs-misplaced blame. If someone believes the government is complicit in protecting CSEC then it makes sense they'd think government as an institution is bad. Of course, the obvious elephant in the room is how do you solve that problem on an intuitional level WITHOUT the government?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Panfilo posted:

How do you feel that is connected to her considering herself an an-cap though? My guess is another symptom of libertarian beliefs-misplaced blame. If someone believes the government is complicit in protecting CSEC then it makes sense they'd think government as an institution is bad. Of course, the obvious elephant in the room is how do you solve that problem on an intuitional level WITHOUT the government?

I don't think she is interested in solving the problem; I think she is a grifter.

I get the same feeling from her as from those alt-right "anti child trafficker" people, where their "heroic" actions consist of selling Q-Anon merch, sucking up to right wing billionaires, and claiming Trump is secretly rounding up all the secret pedophiles in pizza parlors and hidden tunnel complexes. And not, you know, anything that would actually help real life abused children.

Now granted the only thing I know about her is she's claiming Ghislaine Maxwell's friend shut down Jack Dorsey's secret Twitter child porn operation, so maybe I am off base, but that's a pretty big lie and I can't think of an innocent reason for telling it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think she is interested in solving the problem; I think she is a grifter.

I get the same feeling from her as from those alt-right "anti child trafficker" people, where their "heroic" actions consist of selling Q-Anon merch, sucking up to right wing billionaires, and claiming Trump is secretly rounding up all the secret pedophiles in pizza parlors and hidden tunnel complexes. And not, you know, anything that would actually help real life abused children.

Now granted the only thing I know about her is she's claiming Ghislaine Maxwell's friend shut down Jack Dorsey's secret Twitter child porn operation, so maybe I am off base, but that's a pretty big lie and I can't think of an innocent reason for telling it.

Oh I agree. But saying she's an An Cap pretty much removes all ambiguity. She denies associating with QAnon and says she's already previously condemned them. And her sycophants are pretty quick to argue that the photo of Musk was a photo bomb on Maxwells part; they also dig up some quote by his ex saying they weren't close like people assumed.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
On a slightly unrelated note, I was looking back through earlier parts of the thread, because I am a glutton for punishment, and I came across an old post that cracked me up.

Any of y'all long timers here remember shiranaihito? Dipshit libertarian that someone bought an account and we ran out of here in about a day. Very funny stuff.

Have a post from 20 fuckin' 14.

shiranaihito posted:

Actually, producing anything with slave labour is massively less productive than people producing things out of their own will, pursuing their own personal gain (like we all do). A slave resents being forced to work, so he only does the bare minimum to avoid punishment. On the other hand, someone like Elon Musk single-handedly changes the automobile industry, providing tens of thousands of jobs while at it, advances technology and makes people's lives easier.

The most productive slave is one who doesn't realize he is a slave. That would be the vast majority of people on the planet, of course. If 100% of the fruits of your labour are forcefully taken away from you, you're obviously a slave.. so if 50% is taken away, you're a .. "50% slave"? You're not an outright slave, but you are enslaved.
Wonder where this guy is now, and if he's still an Elon Musk fan.

Oh, who am I kidding, he totally is. :allears:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I've found that the line about 'creating jobs' to be the most putrid piece of socio-political propganda of our age. Seriously, break that down for a moment and you will find that it is utterly appalling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A big part about libertarians is that they still inherently buy into a lot of the rules and the assumptions that are all lies.

Female libertarians don't surprise me at all, they're just a slightly more fringe variant on #Girlboss liberals a lot of the time.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
As much as I hate all the labelism of the modern world, the thing about libertarianism as a label is that it's always for bad reasons - same as conservative. I can't stand modern liberals for so many reasons, but a lot of them are very well meaning... idiots, but well-meaning idiots. Left libertarians, 'classic' libertarians, are so rare that I can't recall the last time I met one. I have met the starry-eyed market worship type libertwats and there are a lot of people duped by capitalist-owned media (which is all of it), but almost universally anyone who calls themself a libertarian (or, again, even a conservative) always does so for terrible reasons. It's either due to blind hatred of group X, Y or Z, sociopathic tendencies, greed, protecting disproportionate power, or resentment of any authority (such as those who refused to wear masks). I never really see anyone who buys into that philosophy because they think that it's the best means to a noble end. The obvious example here are people who pretend to adore the free market but in reality are just trying to get poor people to agree that they shouldn't have to pay taxes or not abuse workers. I can respect a well-meaning naïve person or a dupe, but 99% of the time if you peel back the layers of false benevolence or show libertwats where they are wrong, they will refuse to give an inch because, in the end, they just want what's best for them.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

theshim posted:

On a slightly unrelated note, I was looking back through earlier parts of the thread, because I am a glutton for punishment, and I came across an old post that cracked me up.

Any of y'all long timers here remember shiranaihito? Dipshit libertarian that someone bought an account and we ran out of here in about a day. Very funny stuff.

Have a post from 20 fuckin' 14.

Wonder where this guy is now, and if he's still an Elon Musk fan.

Oh, who am I kidding, he totally is. :allears:

That part about be a 50% slave can only describe capitalism to me, but I know he doesn’t mean it that way. Is it about taxes? That total lack of self-awareness floors me. He’s the slave that thinks he’s free, and he’d post for days about how he is the free one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is about growing up under capitalism is that it's considered an entirely valid, admirable and socially accepted mindset to pursue personal profit and power at all costs, and the way this makes you incredibly lovely to everyone around you is considered an amusing quirk. See again, #Girlboss. Make that money, Obama.

Libertarians buy into that uncritically without realising you're supposed to keep a facade of something over it else you give the game away.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I think I may be a classic libertarian but I find it unlikely because I think the only way to achieve it is a state regulator who can make the playing field fair and just.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

RuanGacho posted:

I think I may be a classic libertarian but I find it unlikely because I think the only way to achieve it is a state regulator who can make the playing field fair and just.

I personally see no hope for the future, ecologically speaking, except for a strictly rationed Soviet-style economy that will never happen for a hundred reasons and would probably be corrupted even it it were implemented. Even though I have my doubts about genuine socialism, I used to consider it the most likely step after capitalism. Now, with climate collapse, I can't see anyting but dystopia as liveable land, food and water become hyper-scarce and people really start to show their true colours.

Despite all evidence that it's a bad idea, people keep pumping out more children. Overpopulation is the elephant in the room that no-one will acknowledge, and I've realised that there is some truth in a roundabout way to the Malthusian imperative. People keep pumping out children regardless of what happens and we're not allowed to criticise that because apparently anything that anyone does with their genitals is sacred and beyond reproach.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Overpopulation arguments are pretty badly tainted by how basically all the arguments come down to 'there's too many of the wrong kind of people'.

Also how that resource distribution is not the problem. There's enough resources for all those people. What there isn't enough resources for is to satisfy the rich.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Overpopulation arguments are pretty badly tainted by how basically all the arguments come down to 'there's too many of the wrong kind of people'.

Also how that resource distribution is not the problem. There's enough resources for all those people. What there isn't enough resources for is to satisfy the rich.

Agreed. When you look at the enormous, completely wasted surplus that capitalism produces (food left to rot on the ground because to let people come and take it would be socialism!, brand apparel shredded so the filthy poors don't get ahold of it and taint the brand, the entire US agricultural system) and the per-capita resource consumption of population groups around the world, it's clear that there is enough to go around several times over -- we just can't have those obnoxious *curls lips* poor people consuming any of it without paying their fair share, which is "all they have plus put their country into hock for the next several generations".

The people making those arguments are definitely the ones who are at the top of the pyramid and want to give up neither a jot nor tittle so that poverty and resource misallocation (but I repeat myself) can be alleviated.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

I AM GRANDO posted:

That part about be a 50% slave can only describe capitalism to me, but I know he doesn’t mean it that way. Is it about taxes?

It was totally about taxes. With the brand of libertarian we used to occasionally lure into this thread they always always always equated taxation with slavery, but literally nothing else. Including, in the memorable example where Jrod cited a hilarious ranking that put the UAE above the United States and Europe in terms of pure freedom, actual slavery. He did not take it well when this was pointed out, and bent himself into knots so tangled and acute a Lovecraftian protagonist would describe them as being eldritch and having too many angles. He claimed that the peonage system in question was really just a low-level labor issue and not worth talking about

Weatherman posted:

Agreed. When you look at the enormous, completely wasted surplus that capitalism produces (food left to rot on the ground because to let people come and take it would be socialism!, brand apparel shredded so the filthy poors don't get ahold of it and taint the brand, the entire US agricultural system) and the per-capita resource consumption of population groups around the world, it's clear that there is enough to go around several times over -- we just can't have those obnoxious *curls lips* poor people consuming any of it without paying their fair share, which is "all they have plus put their country into hock for the next several generations".

Man, this newest form of imperialism sounds a lot like it's the most refined form of capitalism yet! I wonder if anyone's written about this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Weatherman posted:

The people making those arguments are definitely the ones who are at the top of the pyramid and want to give up neither a jot nor tittle so that poverty and resource misallocation (but I repeat myself) can be alleviated.

Yep, and all for an unsustainable, inefficient and even unfulfilling lifestyle that's not only forced on the world but mandated as literally the only possible option. The whole point of 'there is no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism' is that it's impossible to live a sustainable lifestyle even if you want to because the infrastructure and options aren't there, and the system actively fights with unlimited resources against any attempts to build alternatives, whether it's zoning laws or cops busting up mutual aid networks, let alone even mild social democrat candidates.

Libertarianism is a natural product of capitalist atomisation being the only game in town, and being actively lied to at every step about how it supposedly works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

That part about be a 50% slave can only describe capitalism to me, but I know he doesn’t mean it that way. Is it about taxes? That total lack of self-awareness floors me. He’s the slave that thinks he’s free, and he’d post for days about how he is the free one.

This is where the job creator myth comes in - it's ok for your boss to take the majority of the value you produce because he created the job for you.