Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Clarence posted:

Odd sort of question - how do I find out who my car is insured with? The postman has just knocked on the door and he's hit the back of the car.

It is definitely insured - that can be looked up online - but I cannot find the box with the car paperwork in. We've not shopped around the last few years as we're old and insurance cost is relatively low so we just let it roll over.

Could you check your bank statement and see where the insurance payments are going to?

Edit: Cat tax (I can now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Depends what you mean. It's better to have a thermostat that will get your house to temp and keep it there, and only call for the boiler to heat as required to achieve that, rather than manually turning on the heating and overshooting the temperature you want to achieve.
Yeah, any decent modern thermostat should have external temperature monitoring (either an outside sensor or iirc Nest uses the local weather) and some kind of PI control so it's not hunting all over the place.

The orange curve is wasting a bunch of money and should be avoided. Newer boilers also often have some kind of extended control like OpenTherm Smart Power rather than the thermostat just saying on/off pls via a relay.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Modern boilers are also more efficient at condensing when they are set to a lower flow temperature
This is also true. Active radiators that return the water cooler really work well with condensing boilers, they compound each others' efficiency.

You don't have to go all out fan heaters in every room though, you can get little fans that fix to existing rads (but results may vary).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Clarence posted:

Odd sort of question - how do I find out who my car is insured with? The postman has just knocked on the door and he's hit the back of the car.

It is definitely insured - that can be looked up online - but I cannot find the box with the car paperwork in. We've not shopped around the last few years as we're old and insurance cost is relatively low so we just let it roll over.

If you can’t tell from your bank statements showing whoever is taking the premium payments, you can either contact the MIB who will take a while to get back to you with the info OR contact whoever postie is insured with, who will likely not think too hard about telling you who your vehicle is insured with because it’ll come up on their systems when they take your reg.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Clarence posted:

Nothing in your email inbox? Presumably you get a notification when it renews each year?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Heat pumps are also more efficient at lower temps, which is they tend to top out at 50C or so. In case of using them for your hot water, they are designed to use direct electric resistance heating once a week to raise the water temp enough to kill possible legionella. It's also the backup mode if the heat pump compressor chokes.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Thanks for the help with the car insurance
Found an entry in the bank statement (Esure). When I did an email search for that it popped up an email with a 'my account' link and I was off to the races from there.
Searching for the car type/registration or "insurance" in gmail hadn't found a thing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Esure are scum. I'm with them too

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The government should provide insurance for every vehicle and pay for it out of road tax instead of making every driver run a gauntlet of untrustworthy dickheads

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Calling all Miftan's. Calling all Miftan's

This appeared on my Youtube & it seems right up your street: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozkQaWYXxPU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

can see your willy out on the reflection

My junk had safely retreated into my abdomen for warmth.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jel Shaker posted:

can see your willy out on the reflection

Yes that's how we know it's cold

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1603773745130311685?s=19

This is the difference between Labour and the Tories. The difference between Cocaine and alcohol addiction.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
How else are you supposed to put masses of poors behind bars?

(I assume that's the goal of prohibition, because it's been gently caress all use for anything else)

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Guavanaut posted:

How else are you supposed to put masses of poors behind bars?

I might get kicked out of the secret tories club for this, but here's the long term plan:

1. Liz Truss enonomics.
2. Inflation to the moon.
3. Cost of living crisis, no one can affort anything.
4. Massive increase in debt.
You know this much. Here's the genius next step:
5. Criminalise debt.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Special “sausage roll” version of “gently caress the Tories” has dropped

https://twitter.com/DeadMenTalkPod/status/1603717844369391618

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

forkboy84 posted:

This appeared on my Youtube & it seems right up your street: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozkQaWYXxPU

He is far too gentlemanly to mention this but his failed ganache looks like semen. It does.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Miftan eat the jizzcake

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

Looks like your bill went up 50%ish which is the same that mine did with Octopus, I was just paying more than Ł50 a month in the first place which I assume is the case for most people - especially big families.

Are you on the Octopus variable rate? If so can you let me know what they are (excluding any 'cost of living' discounts)?

I'm still on my fixed rate from over a year ago but trying to find out what I might be in for next winter. After what I've used this week, I'm hoping to turn all heating off from this Sunday for at least whole week!

It's been so cold this week plus being poorly, I've not particularly stinted myself.

My tariff just now (incl VAT) is:

Hi 26.22
Lo 17.41
SChg 24.95

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

smellmycheese posted:

I don't think I've ever actually heard one of the sausage roll songs. Didn't even realise there was any controversy about them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FnF posted:

Boiler heating chat :

Could someone elaborate more on this? 'cause, yeah, this seems super-counterintuitive (unless the boiler is loads more efficient at ~13C ambient than ~7C ambient, which seems crazy to me :confused: )

I have a ~7 year old Worcester combi-boiler, if that's relevant.

For others who answered this question partially, isn't Testro's point more that letting the house drop to say -2 and then trying to get it back up to 15 every morning is more power inefficient than burning a steady stream of heat to get it there once and then maintain that temperature?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Are any suppliers accepting new customers yet?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

:lol:

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

5. Criminalise debt.
Genius.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

stev posted:

I don't think I've ever actually heard one of the sausage roll songs. Didn't even realise there was any controversy about them.

The whole thing feels unreal. Nobody can tell me who he is. The assumption is that the kids are really into him, but as far as I can tell he plays no videogames and shouts no slurs.

I reckon it's just a sign of how little the Christmas top position means these days. Whole thing can be decided by a few thousand people.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The guy behind the sausage roll songs is a Tory IIRC, or at least proudly voted for Johnson

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
What the gently caress is a sausage roll song?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
he managed to get to the top despite having no skills or talent whatsoever, that’s a Tory if I’ve ever seen one

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They’ve been Xmas number one every year for the last 4 years but as a goon I never listen to the radio so haven’t heard a single second of what I presume are some twee bullshit covers with the words “sausage roll” wedged into them.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
God I haven't had a sausage roll in ages.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

What the gently caress is a sausage roll song?
How did you miss the official England song of the World Cup Qatar Sausage Roll?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm not gonna click that, but my brain just started playing Vindaloo by Fat Les with the words changed to "sausage roll" and I guess that's probably close enough in spirit

Testro
May 2, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

For others who answered this question partially, isn't Testro's point more that letting the house drop to say -2 and then trying to get it back up to 15 every morning is more power inefficient than burning a steady stream of heat to get it there once and then maintain that temperature?

Yes, that's what I found; keeping steady at 15C used fewer gas units than letting the house go cold overnight and heating it back up again.

I guess different variables will affect it. I live in a mid-terrace, so I have fewer outside walls. I also have an older boiler - so that might be a factor; a newer boiler might be more efficient.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Last year I did some quick calculations based on sales figures and how much he claimed to have raised for charity. I don't remember the exact figures, but in his first year he raised something like £85k, and by the same metric, going by claimed sales numbers, last year it would have been about £130k.

Which is nice, but seems questionably low for the top spot on the chart.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1603773745130311685?s=19

This is the difference between Labour and the Tories. The difference between Cocaine and alcohol addiction.
the details of this one are absolutely sending me for some reason

a discarded Boots Advantage card

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The charts count streams now and those only get artists (used very loosely here) a fraction of what an actual sale would so it’s probably right.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Last year I did some quick calculations based on sales figures and how much he claimed to have raised for charity. I don't remember the exact figures, but in his first year he raised something like £85k, and by the same metric, going by claimed sales numbers, last year it would have been about £130k.

Which is nice, but seems questionably low for the top spot on the chart.

No one buys records any more and there's no money in streaming

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

a discarded Boots Advantage card
At least there was some opulence to lying on silk cushions while your indentured servant warms a jewelled ivory opium pipe.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Mr. Gibbons has some interesting ideas and I think we should hear him out

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

I thought this was gonna be some music we had in common, but no, you had to go and be a jerk. :(

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Are you on the Octopus variable rate? If so can you let me know what they are (excluding any 'cost of living' discounts)?

I'm still on my fixed rate from over a year ago but trying to find out what I might be in for next winter. After what I've used this week, I'm hoping to turn all heating off from this Sunday for at least whole week!

It's been so cold this week plus being poorly, I've not particularly stinted myself.

My tariff just now (incl VAT) is:

Hi 26.22
Lo 17.41
SChg 24.95

Yeah I'm on their variable rate.

Gas is 10.24p/kWh and 26.84p/day
Electric is 33.03p/kWh and 47.90p/day

vat included for both

Miftan fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lemon Party have my vote.

Rarity posted:

No one buys records any more and there's no money in streaming

I resent this, I buy as many as 10 albums a year if I'm feeling flush...vinyl is expensive, still can't get over seeing a Type O Negative record for fifty notes. Really wanted it too but got to have a limit