Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I don't think you move from Murray until you see what a better coach can do. At least, I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

A significant chunk of that is guaranteed base salary in 2024 and vesting roster bonuses, so those would go to the traded team. Impossible to move next year, but fine after that.

But man, $16m cap hit next year, boy are they paying for today's Hamburger on Tuesday with that contract.

Hmm, they're likely going to have a bunch of cap space next year. They should probably blow it up, move a chunk of Murray's money forward into next season and just go ahead and eat poo poo.

It's a tough debate whether you just implode the whole thing and start over or hold onto him and see what a new, and hopefully competent, coach can do with him. It's also going to be really hard to trade him this offseason with that injury, anyone looking to trade for him is probably going to offer you 10 cents on the dollar

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Rip the bandaid. More teams need to be willing to just accept a hear of massive dead cap as part of a rebuild.

The cards roster has money invested into old and bad players.

It’s not like the roster is a super bowl contender

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

yeah I don't think you aim to trade Murray until you see what he can do with a new coach next year.

But say, a soon to be 31 year old DeAndre Hopkins?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Yeah if you move anyone it's Hopkins

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I don't think you move from Murray until you see what a better coach can do. At least, I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Part of the problem now is we don’t know when Murray will be fully back and healthy. ACL tears aren’t the end of the world they used to be, but we don’t know definitively when he’ll be able to play next season or how he’ll look on the field. Just as a quick comparison, Carson Wentz tore his ACL at basically the same time in 2017, and missed the first few weeks of the following season. Next season might as well be a wash too since they’ll have to see how Murray does come back from the injury.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Murray has looked excellent at times in his career. Like, MVP-caliber excellent.

There's a much greater chance that he gets back to top 10 form than there is just trying with some random Will Levis rear end rookie or a Baker Mayfield reclamation project or whatever.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Don't move Kyler. He's hurt and rehabbing and has only ever played in an offense so white bread it offended Arizona Cardinals fans. I'm numb to terrible seasons from growing up with them!

Kyler on one leg is at worst the 3rd best QB they've had.

I want to see what he looks like in an NFL offense. I don't care which. The Shannahan zone run scheme with tons of play action? Fine I see it. The Arians offense? I wouldn't expect a ton but who knows with those weapons. Sean Payton? Let me dream lmao

Kiem and Kliff going and there being this weird limbo year would still be a win. Get me a GM that doesn't hand out long term extensions to players in their 30s

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Kyler on one leg is at worst the 3rd best QB they've had.

I smell some Neil Lomax erasure going on here. Sure he only had one or two seasons but he had those!

Ha, looking it up Jim Hart is by far the Cardinals passing yards leader. To the tune of 12,000 yards over Lomax who is #2. He played in the 60s and 70s so apply the asterisk to these stats, but he completed 51.1% of his passes and threw for 209 TDs against 247 interceptions. His yards per completion averages per season are all between 12 and 15, so when he did manage to hook up with a receiver the ball was going somewhere most of the time.

Sorry for the derail, I just wondered about the Cards past QBs. Plummer is #3 on the career list for total yards for what it's worth (not the best measure of course).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Next year should be a write off for the Cardinals and assume Murray is out for most, if not all of the 2023 season

Sign Gardner Minshew as a one year stopgap and go from there

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I was thinking today, is there any way Hackett could save his job? Their remaining schedule is Cardinals, @Rams, @KC, Chargers. They could certainly beat a reeling Cardinals team and a slumming Rams team. I don't know how they beat KC, but let's say they keep it close again all game at least. The Chargers are a bunch of a slapdicks and it would be very on brand to lose to the Broncos in a win-and-in scenario.

If they go 3-1 does this do anything to help Hackett, or is he too far gone?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If they went 3-1 and Russ was so good he wins player of the month that could do it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sign Gardner Minshew as a one year stopgap replacement and go from there
Fixed.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Next year should be a write off for the Cardinals and assume Murray is out for most, if not all of the 2023 season

Sign Gardner Minshew as a one year stopgap and go from there

I would immediately buy a Minshew jersey. I like Kyler. Minshew has immaculate vibes for Arizona. He'd be the ultimate second coming of Drew Stanton.

The team is not built to write off a single season, but they also loving suck. I don't mind that they're paying some of the guys, I just can't imagine why they extended Ertz. They don't have an out for next year, but after 2023/24 they have an out for only $4 million dead cap. It still felt like such a weird move given the investment in a TE in the draft and Kliff's personnel types.

I want to see one of the more adequate backup QBs handle an offense with Hopkins/Brown/Moore. The team has a ton of flaws but I bet they'd at least be interesting in a non-Mickey Mouse offense.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I was thinking today, is there any way Hackett could save his job? Their remaining schedule is Cardinals, @Rams, @KC, Chargers. They could certainly beat a reeling Cardinals team and a slumming Rams team. I don't know how they beat KC, but let's say they keep it close again all game at least. The Chargers are a bunch of a slapdicks and it would be very on brand to lose to the Broncos in a win-and-in scenario.

People were calling for him to be fired after his first game and that didn't prove to be a hot take. I cannot possibly imagine him surviving another season.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think they have to win out, or maybe go 3-1 where the offense looks really good in all 4 games.

e: to expand, they were terrible for almost a full half against the Chiefs, and that poo poo isn't going to fly. They need to look good for 16 quarters, that it's even reasonable to consider keeping Hackett.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 15, 2022

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

He'd have to, like, win out and stop a school shooter or something.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Grittybeard posted:

Ha, looking it up Jim Hart is by far the Cardinals passing yards leader. To the tune of 12,000 yards over Lomax who is #2. He played in the 60s and 70s so apply the asterisk to these stats, but he completed 51.1% of his passes and threw for 209 TDs against 247 interceptions. His yards per completion averages per season are all between 12 and 15, so when he did manage to hook up with a receiver the ball was going somewhere most of the time.

His best seasons coincided with the Cardinals being coach by Don Coryell, basically running the same scheme he’d later make much more famous in San Diego with a more talented roster. They made the playoffs in 1974 and 1975, after having not made it since 1948, and outside of the weird 9-game 1982 strike season, they wouldn’t get back until 1998 (And then again until 2008 after that!).

Once again, put Coryell in the HoF, you bastards! :argh:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Hackett is done, the Broncos have allowed the 4th least amount of points in the league and still have a -44 point differential. There's no way a new ownership group continues with that staff.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

fsif posted:

He'd have to, like, win out and stop a school shooter or something.

He's got experience rendering shotguns ineffective

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Ultimately I would fire them both, but I would at least consider keeping Hackett longer than I would consider keeping Paton. That dude loving sucks.

He inherited a dumpster fire, and that's not his fault. But he is the one who sprayed gasoline all over it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Simplex posted:

Ultimately I would fire them both, but I would at least consider keeping Hackett longer than I would consider keeping Paton. That dude loving sucks.

He inherited a dumpster fire, and that's not his fault. But he is the one who sprayed gasoline all over it.

But but but he's a good drafter

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Docjowles posted:

People were calling for him to be fired after his first game and that didn't prove to be a hot take. I cannot possibly imagine him surviving another season.

It was a hot take in the sense that it was never ever going to happen. Coaches rarely get fired after one awful year, much less one awful game.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It was a hot take in the sense that it was never ever going to happen. Coaches rarely get fired after one awful year, much less one awful game.

Obviously. Just saying that the initial take that this guy sucks and shouldn't be a coach was right. He has shown no improvement since that loss to Seattle (who to be fair are way better than anyone imagined) and if anything has grown steadily worse.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Rip the bandaid. More teams need to be willing to just accept a hear of massive dead cap as part of a rebuild.

The cards roster has money invested into old and bad players.

It’s not like the roster is a super bowl contender

Just missing Kenyan Drake. That’s all they need but they let him GET AWAY!? NOOOOOOO

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Simplex posted:

I mean, they’ve got a great defensive roster, and 4 months ago the popular consensus was they had a good offensive one too. Very few people thought Russ was washed, and even as someone who DID think he was well past his prime and that the trade was pretty iffy, I didn’t think he would be this bad. If Russ was still 2020 Russ they’d be competing for the division in all likelihood

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the only thing that would give me pause about keeping Kyler (aside from the chance that he never trusts his leg again) is that all his teammates seem to hate him

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What are the chances the Broncos choose their DC to be the new HC?

I was gonna also include them requesting their next HC to keep him as their DC, but the Broncos aren't exactly in position to make requests like that if they want a half-decent HC.

Also, fire Kliff and give Kyler another season to see if he's worth anything. If not, cut bait like with Rosen and go with the draft and/or try a reclamation project QB.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mega64 posted:

I hate the Broncos but I'm cheering Ejiro Evero on and have been since like week three. His unit is the only thing that works about that team and it still works pretty goddamned well despite everything else being broken.

He's got the pieces in place to make it work I guess but we all thought the offense would be pretty good going into the season too. Hire this man.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grittybeard posted:

I hate the Broncos but I'm cheering Ejiro Evero on and have been since like week three. His unit is the only thing that works about that team and it still works pretty goddamned well despite everything else being broken.

He's got the pieces in place to make it work I guess but we all thought the offense would be pretty good going into the season too. Hire this man.

I think Surtain and Gregory (on IR) are the only two Broncos defenders I can still name.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Mega64 posted:

I was gonna also include them requesting their next HC to keep him as their DC, but the Broncos aren't exactly in position to make requests like that if they want a half-decent HC.

Also, fire Kliff and give Kyler another season to see if he's worth anything. If not, cut bait like with Rosen and go with the draft and/or try a reclamation project QB.

If they were interested, I don't see why you wouldn't can Hackett and see what you've got in Evero for the remaining games.

They could still do it, but I don't see why an org would pass up the opportunity to get what is essentially a free, extended interview.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shrimpy posted:

If they were interested, I don't see why you wouldn't can Hackett and see what you've got in Evero for the remaining games.

They could still do it, but I don't see why an org would pass up the opportunity to get what is essentially a free, extended interview.

Then they can't bring him back as DC next year. Which they probably want to do

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
The Broncos aren't going to have that hard of a time hiring someone. Every single possible coach is going to convince themselves that they can fix Russ. One bad season is never enough to convince anyone that a player is done unless your a 30+ year old RB.

To be an NFL level coach you basically have to have an insane ego.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Pain of Mind posted:

Would Belichick still draw the same level of genius coach mysticism without having the best QB in modern history for the majority of his career in what has historically been a somewhat weak division?

Belichick isn't the Colts coach, OP.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think it's because Paton is a bigger anchor around the franchise's neck going forward than Wilson's contract, and that does matter to head coach candidates and their agents. There seems to be some ridiculous campaign right now that the Broncos should retain him, so the job could be really toxic.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I only post this because it would be extremely funny if it were remotely possible to be true

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1603786365350600704

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
There really are way too many bald white guys working in the NFL right now

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

This is my head canon now because that would be pretty funny. Although I'd feel a little bad for the guy who got fired and labeled as a sex pest because they nabbed the wrong generic Stone Cold-looking white dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kugler and the steelers o-line would hang out with big ben a lot in the early 2010s. no comments about it from me tho. i don't get into that stuff or bring it up