Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I want to say I have heard it pronounced “nitch”, but very rarely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've never heard anyone pronounce it "nitch" in the US, and I would point and laugh at a person if they did.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
"Nitch" is definitely how everyone in my family says it.

I pronounce "immature" in a real weird way. "im-uh-toor" as opposed to "im-uh-churr" if that uhhh helps. Comes from being raised partly by my grandmother. I did not inherit nitch from her but gently caress if I can ever manage to not say imatoor every single time.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
For some reason I sometimes pronounce it nitch and sometimes pronounce it neesh.

No idea why I do that, don't think there are any other words that I pronounce differently at different times.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Coincidentally, "immature" is a funny one along those lines because I always want to give it more of that "choor" sound when I'm talking about biological aging, and "churr" when I'm talking about things like a teenager not acting like an adult.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

EasilyConfused posted:

For some reason I sometimes pronounce it nitch and sometimes pronounce it neesh.

No idea why I do that, don't think there are any other words that I pronounce differently at different times.

What about “the” or “Caribbean”

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

The Maestro posted:

What about “the” or “Caribbean”

HOW DO YOU KNOW ME BETTER THAN I KNOW MYSELF???

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've never heard anyone pronounce it "nitch" in the US, and I would point and laugh at a person if they did.

My ecology Professor pronounced it "nitch." (Northeast United States.)

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
It was nitch so often as a child in Minnesota in the 90s that when I was introduced to the neesh pronunciation in middle school, I was dumbfounded. Weirdly enough, my instinct is to use neesh these days, and I have no idea when that changed.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

"chassis"

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I've always heard both uses and it seems to be a personal preference. Doing a quick search, apparently both uses are consider correct with "nitch" being the americanized version.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've heard both but always thought nitch was a different word that I didn't know the meaning of instead of an alternate pronunciation of niche.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A niche you can't scratch

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

credburn posted:

"Nitch" is definitely how everyone in my family says it.

I pronounce "immature" in a real weird way. "im-uh-toor" as opposed to "im-uh-churr" if that uhhh helps. Comes from being raised partly by my grandmother. I did not inherit nitch from her but gently caress if I can ever manage to not say imatoor every single time.

"mature" being pronounced that first way reminds me of the opening to this Lovage track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfu2Gp-PrTQ

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

A niche you can't scratch

Actually, it's pronounced "scrache".

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
A friend of mine was talking about fitting in to certain social groups and he used the term "little niches" and all I could imagine were tiny mustachiod philosophers running around going "god is dead! god is dead!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And they're all played by Adam Sandler

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

credburn posted:

A friend of mine was talking about fitting in to certain social groups and he used the term "little niches" and all I could imagine were tiny mustachiod philosophers running around going "god is dead! god is dead!"
My world history coach in high school pronounced Nietzsche "Nitkey" and it drove me crazy because I still don't think I know the correct pronunciation but I know for sure it ain't that. He also said noocular and venzooella despite having a master's in education. Rural Texas education was fascinating.

Completely unrelated: Did y'all all know they changed April O'Neil from the first Ninja Turtles movie to the second one? I guess I never watched them back to back til today. Weirder is I remember the second April so i spent half the first movie confused about it.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Nee-Chuh will suffice for everyone except insufferable pedants.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

No need for the (cosmic echoes) HYPER BOWL

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Nietzsche is pronounced “nasty”

Ol Fred Nasty

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
[Snoop Dogg exhaling a large cloud] niche

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The violin family has a contoured waist so you can bow without hitting anything.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The Maestro posted:

What about “the” or “Caribbean

"Cah rib ian" is the cruise line and "care ah be in" is the place

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shifty Nipples posted:

Ah so it's a Celtics/Celtics situation

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shifty Nipples posted:

The former is an adjective, describing the type of cruise, and the latter is a noun, though I guess it's in an increasingly antiquated sense kind of like "the orient"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sir Lemming posted:

The former is an adjective, describing the type of cruise, and the latter is a noun, though I guess it's in an increasingly antiquated sense kind of like "the orient"

Ummm

The Caribbean is just off the gulf of mexico. Nothing about it is anywhere near "the orient" as you say

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

A carabiner is primarily intended for use as climbing equipment and is not just for "Mexican golfers" as you say

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RFC2324 posted:

Ummm

The Caribbean is just off the gulf of mexico. Nothing about it is anywhere near "the orient" as you say

They're both east of Kansas, the middle of the US

Basically anything west of Kansas is Europe, anything east of Kansas is Asia. The middle-east is Lebanon.

Lebanon, KS.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

RFC2324 posted:

Ummm

He didn’t say.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lmao you are right.

My reading comprehension fails again

People are so bad at geography my brain just jumped to it

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Shifty Nipples posted:

so like pecan/pecan

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snitch to the niche, Silent Bob.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

so like pecan/pecan

I took a Pecan cruise once. It was nuts.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
hot enough to make you drupe

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stuff I just figured out: I should know better than to start a pronunciation debate

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I say it as "pronounciation" because it's how you pronounce things

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
How very mischievious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

credburn posted:

But are those social groups -- cliques, if you will -- cleeks or clicks?

It's cleeks