Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The very driven and the very unhinged can always out-invest you when it comes to filling a vast void in their life if the only factors are time and hassle :goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

quote:

Reject humanity and embrace your inner gorilla in a new spin on a classic game. Chase through trees, scale cliffs, or just hang out with fellow gorillas in the virtual jungle. Now available on Quest.

Oh, *now* available. So kind of you to let me know Zuck.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

Lemming posted:

Even with ip and hardware bans, there were some people who made literally hundreds of accounts

Jeeez, the lengths people will go to to be absolute shits on the internet is bewildering.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Ever my vr headset zuck Daddy. and my brain Elon senpai.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Anyone here try the Valheim VR mod? If so, how is it?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I liked it a lot. Most of the core stuff works really well and you're right in that world. They've laid on a pretty insane degree of customisation and control. It's a bit of a shame there's no controller-relative option, and some stuff like the spear throwing never felt great to me (even though they offer like 3 different throwing techniques and loads of further options). But it feels kind of churlish to even mention that to be honest. It's great, go for it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Demeo last upadate:

First, you start with a new item given to every hero, Vortex Dust. It’s a 1 dmg in a 3x3 area, with a pull effect like the vortex lamps, useful to deal a bit of damage or do a bit of pull on enemies to put them in the ideal position.

There are npcs that talk to you. Some give gold, other health potions, other are sellswords you can hire (200g for a dude with a crossbow moved by the AI with their own skills like poison arrow or panic arrow).

The new barbarian is fun. Perhaps the most surprising ability is the Vargas whatever, what lets you accumulate extra damage in a permanent counter (by first shouting to an area of enemies, the more th emerries), and said damage is only spent later in the right amounts. If a enemy has 3 hp, the extra damage counter isn’t used, if a enemy has 10 hp, 7 extra damage is used up, etc.

Enemies:

Elf lancer: low level enemy, throws a lance that pushes you, and have a vortex dust item too.

Elf Archer : I think it’s different of the usual archer? He has a ‘heavy arrow’ attack.

Elf Summoner: ‘mini boss’ level enemy. 48 hp! Teleporting, and a shield ability. He is hard to kill because he will skirt around the periphery. He appears on the first floor and second floor. His main skill is how he summons several rifts with a single spell, you have one turn to destroy the rifts, before they start summoning new enemies. The rifts can merge if they are close, changing from minor to normal to major rifts, with more hp each, and able to summon bigger enemies.The vortex dust item closes them instantly, bypassing their hp.
Something funny is how they are really rifts: they can summon enemies unique to other scenarios, like the desert scorpions.

I reached the final boss of the last scenario and man, he is hard. I got him to 50hp, and I can do it slightly better next time now that I know how he works, but still, I don’t picture myself winning anytime soon.

This final fight has some neat gimmicks, with stone walls rising from time to time enclosing you or the enemies, and giant spectral hands smashing things in an area or in a line (at least they indicate what they will do the previous turns). It isn't a fight where you are swamped with enemies, but on the second half the final boss start placing the elite enemies around in the board. I noticed the hands are vulnerable to Hunter's Mark and Poison so they are killable, the bad thing is that they respawn later. Not sure how it works.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Shemp the Stooge posted:

It's the best VR mod. I've played through to Yagluth both solo and with my wife and love it. Only downside is not being able to use mods that rely on you pressing a hotkey and some interface mods don't work with it. I've been able to work around that nicely by using alternative mods that do practically the same things without using hotkeys. The Mistlands update did break VHVR though. He has a temporary dev build up in the flatscreen2vr discord to use until he gets a regular update out.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey yall, is the OP current?

I know absolutely nothing about VR but I'm looking for the best VR headset (either out now, or coming out this year) that would pair best with a 4090.

I'm open to this "room scale" stuff where you turn a room into a VR room or whatever but is it worth it? We have an empty room, theoretically, but it's an open question whether it's actually worth that kind of dedication...

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Insanely good, though it's still a mod and thus is tied to an interface that isn't ideal for VR. Valheim's everything-except-UI feels way better in VR than flatscreen though. It revitalized the game for me to the point where I don't bother playing flatscreen Valheim anymore.

Honestly it's the game I most look forward to when I consider putting the headset on again. More than Beat Saber or any of the other big made-for-VR games.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/16..._source=twitter

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Taima posted:

Hey yall, is the OP current?

I know absolutely nothing about VR but I'm looking for the best VR headset (either out now, or coming out this year) that would pair best with a 4090.

I'm open to this "room scale" stuff where you turn a room into a VR room or whatever but is it worth it? We have an empty room, theoretically, but it's an open question whether it's actually worth that kind of dedication...

I'll defer to other goons on the headset question since I only have experience with the CV2 and Quest 2, but will say that roomscale is absolutely worth it. I bounced off of the CV2 hard because being tied to my computer in my small office just wasn't that fun; I could never really get fully immersed when I was constantly worrying about punching a monitor or sticking my hand into a ceiling fan. Untethered roomscale just really removes most of the friction and lets VR shine imo.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Does into the radius support arm swinging movement? It's literally the best movement out there

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Wintermutant posted:

I'll defer to other goons on the headset question since I only have experience with the CV2 and Quest 2, but will say that roomscale is absolutely worth it. I bounced off of the CV2 hard because being tied to my computer in my small office just wasn't that fun; I could never really get fully immersed when I was constantly worrying about punching a monitor or sticking my hand into a ceiling fan. Untethered roomscale just really removes most of the friction and lets VR shine imo.

Oh, that brings up a really good point.

You need a battery source for room scale, don't you?! That really limits the capabilities of the headset, doesn't it?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Taima posted:

You need a battery source for room scale, don't you?! That really limits the capabilities of the headset, doesn't it?

Depends on the headset; I've got an upgraded battery strap for the Quest 2 and it extends battery life well enough that my body's ready for a break before the headset is. It does add a little extra weight but it's well-balanced enough that on top of the strap improvements, actually feels better to me than just the headset & base strap.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Kwolok posted:

Does into the radius support arm swinging movement? It's literally the best movement out there

No, only joystick/teleport as far as I've seen. There have been some recent updates, but nothing seemed to be new locomotion.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Taima posted:

kiwi strap with one of those absurdly large but thin cell phone backup batteries extends your playtime every very well. Just velcro strap it on and it balances nice

Does anyone have tips/pitfalls for setting up 2 quests in the same house ? The original one is my account, but the new one will be in use mostly for the kids to use vs PCVR use of the other. I want my kid to have his account on it for friends sharing and meetups , but obviously share the games already bought. I have already made his account a sharing one with access.

Do I need to log in at all on the other ? He has had issues just switching accounts and still things connected to me when playing and friend finding

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Is supernatural really that good of a workout game? I like beatsaber, and synth riders but they don't really work up a huge sweat. I don't want to buy poo poo on the meta store for obvious reasons but it seems like people really like supernatural....

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Roundboy posted:

kiwi strap with one of those absurdly large but thin cell phone backup batteries extends your playtime every very well. Just velcro strap it on and it balances nice

Does anyone have tips/pitfalls for setting up 2 quests in the same house ? The original one is my account, but the new one will be in use mostly for the kids to use vs PCVR use of the other. I want my kid to have his account on it for friends sharing and meetups , but obviously share the games already bought. I have already made his account a sharing one with access.

Do I need to log in at all on the other ? He has had issues just switching accounts and still things connected to me when playing and friend finding

The share stuff on meta is still pretty broken and doesn’t work most of the time, and then there’s all the big name games that just don’t do it by design

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Kwolok posted:

Is supernatural really that good of a workout game? I like beatsaber, and synth riders but they don't really work up a huge sweat. I don't want to buy poo poo on the meta store for obvious reasons but it seems like people really like supernatural....

if you really want to work up a sweat get thrill of the fight, only $10 and will have you absolutely dying

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kwolok posted:

As a fat-rear end-nerd who's trying to be more active, I like Supernatural. I haven't tried the boxing mode but Flow is fun and a 20 minute session gets me sweating and breathing hard. The song selection is pretty good too.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kwolok posted:

Yeah, it works. Its decent.

But, how are you not getting a sweat on with SR/BS?

Are you just standing still? Not trying to be a dick here but like, I cannot imagine playing either of those games for 30 min and not being at all sweaty. Even on lower difficulties, since ya know, if its your limit itll still push you.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

The only things supernatural does different from beat saber, in my experience from like 6 months ago when I did the trial :

- Encourage you to swing harder to work up a sweat. You can do this in beat saber if you want instead of just flicking your wrists. Just make sure you have space to swing hard and no little ones to walk in front of you.

- Turning around during play. I’m not sure it adds anything much to the fitness aspect. Kind of made it harder because it’s easy to get off center and hit an obstacle accidentally.

- Trainer motivation. I found it actually helps you push a little harder.

- Cost a lot of money. I guess you could spend similar amounts buying all the song packs on beat saber.

Personally I liked synth riders the best for exercise once I got some custom songs I like and trained myself to actually move my legs too and basically dance for real or hop around. Finding the right custom songs with lots of arm movement and squat opportunities helps.

Pistol Whip is good too if you really try to duck and move instead of just leaning your head.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Spend the $14.99 on two wrist braces and play Beat Saber with them on

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

don't do that ever. really really bad for your joints.

Unless that's the point and you were waiting for a call out

only use a weighted vest

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Blaston is a surprisingly good workout. A whole lotta leg stuff going on in that game as you weave in and out of shots.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

forest spirit posted:

only use a weighted vest

Braces, not weights. To discourage using your wrists instead of arms

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

forest spirit posted:

only use a weighted vest

They said wrist braces not wrist weights, I'm guessing their idea is that by preventing you from bending your wrists you will have to move your arms more.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Okay cool. Still nice for newbies to read.

But first time I've heard of splinting to get a better work out!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

VegasGoat posted:

The only things supernatural does different from beat saber, in my experience from like 6 months ago when I did the trial :

- Encourage you to swing harder to work up a sweat. You can do this in beat saber if you want instead of just flicking your wrists. Just make sure you have space to swing hard and no little ones to walk in front of you.

- Turning around during play. I’m not sure it adds anything much to the fitness aspect. Kind of made it harder because it’s easy to get off center and hit an obstacle accidentally.

- Trainer motivation. I found it actually helps you push a little harder.

- Cost a lot of money. I guess you could spend similar amounts buying all the song packs on beat saber.

Personally I liked synth riders the best for exercise once I got some custom songs I like and trained myself to actually move my legs too and basically dance for real or hop around. Finding the right custom songs with lots of arm movement and squat opportunities helps.

Pistol Whip is good too if you really try to duck and move instead of just leaning your head.

The other big thing with Supernatural is having new playlists every day. I get bored doing the same tracks repeatedly in other apps (and half the time, the thought of "ugh, I have to go try and download new music" is just enough for my lazy rear end to weasel out of doing a work out). Obviously how much this matters is different for everyone and whether it is worth the money.

I find the hard level tracks in Supernatural beat everything other than Thrill of the Fight (which is still the champion at totally kicking my rear end) for exercise for me.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Also yeah if you're not sweating playing Beat Saber or any other rhythm game you need to be hopping, bopping, embellishing, giving every swing a wide arc, you should be introducing squats during songs and during song breaks. Essentially dancing

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Manager Hoyden posted:

Braces, not weights. To discourage using your wrists instead of arms

I would still recommend against that at a certain point of skill level. You physically cannot hit certain patterns without wrist movement.

forest spirit posted:

Also yeah if you're not sweating playing Beat Saber or any other rhythm game you need to be hopping, bopping, embellishing, giving every swing a wide arc, you should be introducing squats during songs and during song breaks. Essentially dancing

Fact.

Thats like 4 and change hours into a stream. Chest strap, calibrated to me specifically, custom software.

StarkRavingMad posted:

The other big thing with Supernatural is having new playlists every day.

1000000% this. If you get bored of music stuff easily, and don't want to download your own playlists for something like powerbeats, supernatural is pretty rad.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 16, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

And a very important thing about starting any fitness endeavour is to remove as many barriers as possible, supernatural has a free trial so give it a shot. the novelty of new songs might be the only hook that grabs you but you have to bite at least once

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I wish there was a boxing-like Beat Saber that was as good as Supernaturals boxing mode. Les Mills Bodycombat maps are boring, and while it is not as good as Thrill of the Fight for pure sweating that doesn't have the music component.

I prefer the boxing to the flow sets but definitely do both.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
battle talent will work up a sweat in the arena modes as well

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

I wish there was a boxing-like Beat Saber that was as good as Supernaturals boxing mode. Les Mills Bodycombat maps are boring, and while it is not as good as Thrill of the Fight for pure sweating that doesn't have the music component.

I prefer the boxing to the flow sets but definitely do both.

Have you given until you fall a go? Slam on some decent music and its a pretty killer workout. Well, assuming you're actually trying to kill things with all your might and not baby swinging.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
New Lynx update https://www.lynx-r.com/blogs/news/youtube-live-lynx-uptdate-december-05th-2022

Lots of Q&A white noise ("does it use pancake lenses?") but also some useful stuff.

First units have rolled out of the factory, sounds like it's not quite full steam ahead production-wise yet, but it's happening.

First units aren't quite cosmetically representative of the final versions, not sure what that means exactly but they're going to be shippable if someone's OK with receiving it (they don't want them showing up on video reviews though because the first units aren't what the final version will look like, again not sure exactly what that means but likely something simple like the color is off a little or something.)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

EbolaIvory posted:

Have you given until you fall a go? Slam on some decent music and its a pretty killer workout. Well, assuming you're actually trying to kill things with all your might and not baby swinging.

Yeah I love UYF. Needs more dubstep and in time choreo for what I'm saying here though. I agree it's a good workout if you put the right effort into it

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chin Strap posted:

Yeah I love UYF. Needs more dubstep and in time choreo for what I'm saying here though. I agree it's a good workout if you put the right effort into it

Its right on par with thrill for me as far as rear end kicking goes.

Hell I might fire that bitch up today. Kinda sounds fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

it's nice to mix in with the boxing + rhythm games to mix up the pattern recognition routine