Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

oscarthewilde posted:

Also, full voice acting is really distracting and pretty useless if you’re a quick reader

Big this (and also the narrator's tedious staccato ruins a lot of the jokes). I tell everyone I recommend the game to to immediately switch to Classic or Psychological.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
In case someone isn't following them, Sea Power is putting out some disco videos.
Remixes of their songs, and with the newest also a fanart show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Q-IgHnuWs

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Phlegmish posted:

Forgot to mention this earlier: some things that I did dislike about the game were the clunky UI and the questionable pathfinding. It just felt generally unpleasant and awkward to move around in the world. Was expecting better from a game released in 2019.

Unless there was an 'always run' toggle that I missed, in which case I partly take it back

What ideology did you end up pursuing?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

What ideology did you end up pursuing?

I didn't actively pursue anything (appropriately enough), but I ended up with Moralism. I triggered the associated quest and everything, although I never got around to doing it. I also got the achievement for being a sorry/apologetic cop, which sounds about right.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
If I have the "steal the high technology boots" task but I choose for mr Kim to take the corpse to the morgue (?), does that make the task go away? If something becomes impossible to perform, does that disappear from my tasks-list?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

If I have the "steal the high technology boots" task but I choose for mr Kim to take the corpse to the morgue (?), does that make the task go away? If something becomes impossible to perform, does that disappear from my tasks-list?

I regret to tell you that that task is now impossible to complete and will stay in your quest log forever. Same thing happened to me.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I didn't actively pursue anything (appropriately enough), but I ended up with Moralism. I triggered the associated quest and everything, although I never got around to doing it. I also got the achievement for being a sorry/apologetic cop, which sounds about right.

i also played like this

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I regret to tell you that that task is now impossible to complete and will stay in your quest log forever. Same thing happened to me.

How could this happen to me :negative:

e. the Pale is genuinely one of my favorite scifi concepts of all time, it's such an amazing idea

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 16, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fruits of the sea posted:

Ruby's voice weirdly made sense to me - maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the way she calmly discusses things made me think that she was somewhere on the spectrum or at least has a baseline that's really different from other folks. Not sure if Tommy's dialogue about her supports that or not.

Probably doesn't help that her hideout is right next to a pale anomaly :v:

She is also someone who has been planning suicide for a while.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the pale to me seemed derived from stanislaw lem. cultural white noise imagined as a physical place

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

MariusLecter posted:

She is also someone who has been planning suicide for a while.

Yeah, given her arc the VA's performance makes a lot of sense. From the way your encounter with her goes, she is very obviously ready to rock, and the dialogue and the VA's detached reading are right on point. In a skin-crawly kind of way.

Phlegmish posted:

I could give a gently caress about those boots, but poo poo like this haunts me.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

I assume not, but was there ever any way of preventing the death of the drunk man on the pier? :smith:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I assume not, but was there ever any way of preventing the death of the drunk man on the pier? :smith:

I can't imagine so - I think he's over there from the moment you're allowed across the water lock.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 17, 2022

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
He's been dead two days maybe by the time you find him, which can be morning of day 3, so he might already be dead when Kim's Kineema wakes you up.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

gently caress this game, I teared up when I figured out who that was. What the genuine gently caress.

If I have to deliver the news to his wife I'm going to cry.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

gently caress this game, I teared up when I figured out who that was. What the genuine gently caress.

Me, after playing the game twenty times: this is just life in Revachol, another notch for my case file count. This could be Harry if The Terrible Thing never happened

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

What I appreciated on a second play through was that The Terrible Thing happened because Harry was already unraveling because he functions aa a sort of antenna for the “vibes” the pale sends out. The psychologist expert at the end phrased it like Harry being akin to a magnetic tape that picks these emanations up, and Harry cant handle that. It’s what makes him a great human “can opener” and human wreck in equal measure. The dream sequence even has “Dolores” make a remark about how he thinks of interactions with humans like “trees” or tree dialogues, which I found pretty funny.

He’s been unraveling for a while, him nuking his mind with an ocean of alcohol was likely just his way of committing total ego death

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

The drunken man at the pier quest hit me hard too. It pulls absolutely zero punches and is just brutal.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It's the hardest part of the job. There's nothing you can do about it but deliver the news. Just the facts. Nothing more, nothing less.

Again, every play through this one task hits just as hard... when his wife asks about how long he's been dead and thinking about him alone in the cold...

EMPATHY: If you say two days it will be etched in her mind forever.

Two days. I cant ever bring.myself to not do this straight laced and by the book as possible. No loving around with an alternate theory or trying to sugar coat it. Just the facts ma'am.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 17, 2022

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Spoiler that stuff just in case

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

MIDWIFE CRISIS posted:

I mean you don't have to, you've got a bigger case to solve

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Yeah, given her arc the VA's performance makes a lot of sense. From the way your encounter with her goes, she is very obviously ready to rock, and the dialogue and the VA's detached reading are right on point. In a skin-crawly kind of way.

Perhaps Rhetoric's finest hour is in dealing with Ruby, very poignantly so

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Perhaps Rhetoric's finest hour is in dealing with Ruby, very poignantly so

RHETORIC [Impossible : Success] Well...:actually:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hahahahahahahaha

Well, yeah, besides when Rhetoric is involved in doing comedy of course

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not sure if it’s funnier to describe the perfect sandwich to Gaston only to tell him it’s impossible for anyone to create it, or to get the sandwich and then lose it because you tried to feed it to Kim with the old “here comes the fighter plane”

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

christmas boots posted:

you tried to feed it to Kim with the old “here comes the fighter plane”

Lmao I need to try this

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

EorayMel posted:

That is why I throw away the ham sandwich (preferably in Gaston's face)

And also the topping pie (preferably in Gary's face)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I think I got the best possible way to get the sando. It was after Rene had passed and I gave my condolences etc. Then misclicked and passed the check I had no right passing to trick him into giving me the sando. I literally took advantage of a grieving senior, grifting them out of their lunch.

HOBO COP HUSTLE.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah that checks out.

How did you feel about Moralism?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah that checks out.

How did you feel about Moralism?

Hmm. I personally found that in most conversations the moralist dialogue option just plain seemed like the most reasonable thing to say, compared to the remaining choices, which were often simplistic and caricatural. In general, I was comfortable with my character stating those things, and it made sense that I ended up being a moralist as a result. That's probably what I would have ended up picking anyway, were I forced to choose.

On the other hand, the game makes it pretty clear that there is a big difference between rhetoric and reality. In practice, within the world of Disco Elysium, moralism mostly seems to involve defending the status quo and the interests of the elite, behind (and justified by) an 'apolitical' veneer. There is all sorts of hosed up stuff going on in the places ruled by the Moralist International, and they've been guilty of atrocities in the past. Additionally, during the game, they are roundly denounced by several characters from divergent backgrounds, such as Klaasje and The Deserter.

In summary, my Harry was a moralist/centrist dweeb, but I like to think that he was still wary of the actual moralist authorities.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Moralism in Disco Elysium is really interesting. It's the dominant political system in the world, and therefore responsible for a great deal of brutality, but in many ways it's not an inherently brutal ideology. Incremental change is its core value because sudden change can be incredibly destructive. That's not an unreasonable position on the face of it. Moralism is capitalist, but not ideologically cruel Randian capitalism. The welfare state should take care of the poor (in rich countries). The market is what works, but people should be made comfortable, in as much as that doesn't adversely affect the markets. You wouldn't want the conditions for another revolution after all. Revolutionary change is what Moralism is all about preventing.

Kim is a Moralist. If Revachol just gets its act together it too can have a capitalist welfare state to lift the bottom rungs of society up just a few inches out of absolute squalor, and no one has to get shot in the process. If "people getting shot" isn't an abstract cost, but a real personal one that shaped your life, you can see why Moralism has its appeal. It's the most reasonable, least bloodthirsty ideology by definition.

And yet it takes the Moralintern to enforce Moralism. The "least bloodthirsty" ideology is directly responsible for most of the death and devastation in Revachol. It's maintained with a terrifyingly inhuman bureaucracy full of people supporting a system that they have no choice but to uphold. It's the only reasonable option to them.

I know Disco Elysium was made by self identified communists, but it seems like what the horror of the Moralintern demonstrates is the inherent violence of a dominant political system, period. Imagine how much worse things would be if the royalists or the fascists were the ones in the position of the Moralintern. And while communism should be better than that, we know how coercive and brutal geopolitically insecure communists can be.

Basically Disco Elysium shows how inherently violent hegemonic politics are in practice, no matter what the hegemonic values are.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i picked apparently "moralist" dialogues because the others were often wordy or on the nose. i didnt do the quest because it sounded hokey and stupid and my detective just wants a sandwich and do his job

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Moralism and the Moralintern are, just as the thought says, about control, that's it, nothing else it does or has done is anywhere near as consistent. The mercs arent sent into a city with a well funded social safety net and an emphasis on maximizing human potential, they're sent into a bombed out wreck created and maintained in state for decades by the Moralintern, to do whatever they've gotta do to break the strike and keep the money flowing in and ze prices stable. They'll tell you this if you ask!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I ended up titled towards communism (it was one of the things Kim brought up) but I think I probably ended up with a lot of moralist and boring cop choices just because they tended to be the least crazy or rude options, and I wanted to not be a jerk to most people (which is why I also ended up with a lot of sorry cop) - I picked the ultraliberal vision quest because a) Harry needs money and he HAS been hustlin' and b) it sounded a little less extreme then the others, but I didn't end up following it through.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Eiba posted:

And yet it takes the Moralintern to enforce Moralism

quote:

One cannot separate violence from the very exist­ ence of the state (as the apparatus of class domination): from the standpoint of the'subordinated and oppressed, the very existence of a state is a fact of violence (in the same sense in which, for example, Robespierre said, in his justification of the regicide, that one does not have to prove that the king committed any specific crimes, since the very existence of the king is a crime, an offence against the freedom of the people). In this strict sense, every violence of the oppressed against the ruling class and its state is ultimately ‘defensive’. If we do not concede this point, we volens nolens ‘normalize’ the state and accept that its violence is merely a matter of contin­gent excesses (to be dealt with through democratic reforms).

(this is from "Defence of the Terror" but was in put together into "Violence" in the version I got from the library back at uni lol)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Moralism and the Moralintern are, just as the thought says, about control, that's it, nothing else it does or has done is anywhere near as consistent. The mercs arent sent into a city with a well funded social safety net and an emphasis on maximizing human potential, they're sent into a bombed out wreck created and maintained in state for decades by the Moralintern, to do whatever they've gotta do to break the strike and keep the money flowing in and ze prices stable. They'll tell you this if you ask!
The social safety net is for the metropole. Revachol is the third world country that doesn't have its act together. That doesn't mean Moralism doesn't view the welfare state as an effective strategy. If only Revachol had been less radical, the Moralintern might lament, it might be able to support its own welfare state.

Moralism's ideals are somewhat coherent on a surface level from their perspective. We're unavoidably shown its hypocrisy and failures from our perspective on the bottom of the hierarchy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Moralism is neoliberalism as practiced by the global north. It's Chevron dumping oil in the Amazon, it's Nestle owning water tables, and it's the mercs who protect all of them. It should not surprise you that the Moralintern's most important weapon is indiscriminate destruction from the sky -- the airships are just US drones writ large.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Eiba posted:

in many ways it's not an inherently brutal ideology. Incremental change is its core value because sudden change can be incredibly destructive ... Revolutionary change is what Moralism is all about preventing.

The biggest problem, of course, is that incremental change is not a core value of moralism, despite their love of the slogan.

The Moralinterns core value is control. They support controlled change, no matter how rapid - violently invading and overthrowing foreign governments is not exactly incremental, and its something they've done several times, Revachol just being a recent example. Similarly, they oppose any and all incremental change which might weaken their control over things.

It is absolutely an inherently brutal ideology, or at least its no less inherently brutal than any of the other ones.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Yeah, the incremental change at the heart of the Moralintern is a lie. Talk to Sunday Friend, and see what these ideals are worth--just a endless stream of excuses from an invading empire that destroyed Revachol, then did nothing while the nuclear reactor melted down and vented waste into the river. The moderate viewpoint of Disco Elysium is to look at a problem, shrug, and then do nothing about it. Helping others is, after all, Communist, the worst thing you can be.

Eiba posted:

Kim is a Moralist.

I never really understood this reading. Sure, he's polite, in a way a lot of people try to make Harry be. But that man has revolutionary ideals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

The biggest problem, of course, is that incremental change is not a core value of moralism, despite their love of the slogan.

The Moralinterns core value is control. They support controlled change, no matter how rapid - violently invading and overthrowing foreign governments is not exactly incremental, and its something they've done several times, Revachol just being a recent example. Similarly, they oppose any and all incremental change which might weaken their control over things.

It is absolutely an inherently brutal ideology, or at least its no less inherently brutal than any of the other ones.
I feel like you're mistaking what they do for what they believe. Or else confusing Moralism with the Moralintern. The fact that they behave just as brutally as anything else is kind of the point.

If you select the dialog options like "let's make things a little bit better one step at a time!" you get moralist points. When Kim claims to be a Moralist it's not because he loves control, it's because he wants to make things better, but not in a dangerous way that gets people killed. Moralists definitely do legitimately value incremental change and it's what defines them.

Moralism is ultimately about control, in practice, but so are fascism and a bunch of other ideologies. Moralism's control is in the form of promising incremental change. It's reasonable. It's not going to rock the boat too much. It won't get people killed. And it might lead to a better world. People need to actually believe this for Moralism to successfully control society.

Of course if you decide to tear things down and build a better world today you can bet that they're going to sink your boat and kill a bunch of people and blame you for it for being too radical. If only you had been reasonable and moderate and followed the proper procedure they wouldn't have to kill you. Also the better world it's promising remains suspiciously distant.

It's definitely a hypocritical ideology in a lot of ways, but it still has the promise of incremental change without turmoil at its core. If you decide Moralism has nothing to do with incremental change because it doesn't match their actions, you're missing some important things about the nature of Moralism. Even if it's ultimately about control on some level, that's because the promise of incremental change is itself insidiously coercive.

Honestly, they're kind of dealing with a parallel dilemma to the paradox of tolerance. If you value tolerance, that doesn't mean you should employ tolerance when faced with intolerance. You should be intolerant of intolerance. If you value incremental change, that doesn't mean you should employ incremental change when faced with radicalism. You should radically revert radicalism. That much isn't even completely hypocritical (though it is brutal and evil and so on).

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yeah, the incremental change at the heart of the Moralintern is a lie. Talk to Sunday Friend, and see what these ideals are worth--just a endless stream of excuses from an invading empire that destroyed Revachol, then did nothing while the nuclear reactor melted down and vented waste into the river. The moderate viewpoint of Disco Elysium is to look at a problem, shrug, and then do nothing about it. Helping others is, after all, Communist, the worst thing you can be.

I never really understood this reading. Sure, he's polite, in a way a lot of people try to make Harry be. But that man has revolutionary ideals.
I misremembered and overstated Kim's position. Here's what he says:

the game posted:

YOU – "You like the Moralintern."

KIM KITSURAGI – "Yes. I *did* -- when I was younger. In my twenties I considered myself a moralist. *A blue forget-me-not, a piece of the sky*," he quotes. "They're not all that bad." "But the years have changed that. I don't know *what* I believe in now...." He thinks, then changes his mind. "No. I believe in the RCM. That's enough for me."
The fact that he has any sympathy at all to the Moralintern is a product of the Moralintern having interestingly appealing ideas.

I do want to clarify, I'm not defending Moralism or the Moralintern. It's poo poo. But it's interestingly nuanced poo poo. I like that the authoritarian villains aren't just reskinned Nazis, as you might find in a less nuanced political fictional setting. They're something that seems almost good from certain sympathetic perspectives. They 100% fall apart on closer examination, but that's not what I'm talking about here.