Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The first episode of Invasion of the Dinosaurs has a really good atmosphere doesn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Yeah, it's incredible. One of the times when having time to breathe really shines. Having Patricia Russell directing (this, Massacre, Horror of Fang Rock, Pyramids of Mars) rather than Barry Letts as he originally hoped was a useful bit of happenstance.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 16, 2022

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This week's random story was Invasion of the Dinosaurs which is probably the low point of special effects of that era - Robot looks like Star Wars in comparison. Pity, really, because there's a load of good stuff in the story. Too many cliffhangers are "someone being threatened by a dinosaur, with them not otherwise appearing in the episode" but that's a small crime compared to some (eg, the very next story has a cliffhanger - due to poorly timed scripts - where someone looks at a floor)

Completely agreed, Invasion of the Dinosaurs is really good story-wise, with a lot of twists and turns that even impact the beloved "UNIT family" as it neared the end of its run. And any story where Peter Miles plays an antagonist is generally an excellent story (The Silurians, Dinosaurs, and of course Genesis of the Daleks). The only really bad part of it is the dinosaur puppets, but if anyone's watching 1970s DW expecting to see high-quality SFX, then something is definitely wrong with them :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I actually dig Robot insomuch as it feels like a completely typical Jon Pertwee story... that happens to be starring Tom Baker! I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it's almost fitting in showcasing just how much the Doctor has changed while retaining enough familiar elements to allow an easing through from one era to the next.

Part of my problem is Pertwee just did this story, partially, with Invasion of the Dinosaurs. Okay, the robot itself has more going on, but the scientific conspiracy behind it just made me go, "Hey, you guys just did this."

I did like the design of the robot's head and body. His spindly arms and clamps, on the other hand...

I'm going to take my time going through Baker because I want to check out the mountains of special features as I go. Those blurays are overloaded with cool stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Random Stranger posted:

Part of my problem is Pertwee just did this story, partially, with Invasion of the Dinosaurs. Okay, the robot itself has more going on, but the scientific conspiracy behind it just made me go, "Hey, you guys just did this."

It had been a while (Invasion ended in February, Robot started in December), but also compared to the months long periods of "what's the Master's zany plan this week!" it's different enough to not annoy me

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Jerusalem posted:

I actually dig Robot insomuch as it feels like a completely typical Jon Pertwee story... that happens to be starring Tom Baker! I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it's almost fitting in showcasing just how much the Doctor has changed while retaining enough familiar elements to allow an easing through from one era to the next.

It's this for me as well. Robot feels like 3 should be running around, but they just plugged in Tom Baker as he tries to find his character voice (and gets it amazingly quickly, all things said - by the time he's in the costume, he's The Fourth Doctor).

Just a "fun" story overall IMO, though yes the special effects when trying to upsize the Robot are laughable

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

I did like the design of the robot's head and body. His spindly arms and clamps, on the other hand...

Them having to raise the firing arm higher and higher because it kept bending more and more was a fun inadvertent running gag

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

The way the robot walked didn't do it any favors either, I kept expecting it to go "ooh me hip" whenever it bent over to pick something up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ncuti is in the Barbie trailer for about a second :toot:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Honestly, I think there are probably six or so good episodes in the Chibnall run, almost all of them in the first season. Rosa,

This is weird to read since that is clearly the worst episode of all doctor who

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Khanstant posted:

This is weird to read since that is clearly the worst episode of all doctor who

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I mean, is there a universally-agreed-upon single "worst" story in Doctor Who?

Would it be easier to split it into books, audio, classic, and reboot, especially given the reception to Chibnall's run tends to drown out what came before?

What aspects would you measure for it? Just the overall story? Production, direction, acting?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

I mean, is there a universally-agreed-upon single "worst" story in Doctor Who?

Doctor Who fans cannot agree on ANYTHING beyond maybe agreeing that we can't agree on anything, and I hope long may it stay that way since the show as constructed is designed to offer all kinds of different things to different people, and some things are going to work with a lot of people and some things just aren't.

I think maybe the closest Who fans have ever been to being in lockstep is that almost everybody loving loved the 50th Anniversary celebration.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 17, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

I think maybe the closest Who fans have ever been to being in lockstop is that almost everybody loving loved the 50th Anniversary celebration.

:hmmyes:

“I’m… looking for… the Doctor.”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Day of the Doctor?

I've not seen it since it aired, but I thought it was only okay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

“I’m… looking for… the Doctor.”

"I'm a Doctor.... but probably not the one you're expecting."

:stwoon:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
"I never forget a face" :aaaaa:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Confusedslight posted:

"I never forget a face" :aaaaa:

I'll never forget tom baker taking to Twitter or whatever to reveal he was going to be in the 50th and saying "they said I couldn't tell anyone but what are they going to do to me?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
it's Twin Dilemma.

we all know it's Twin Dilemma.

i would DIE for Colin Baker and even I know it's Twin Dilemma.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

I'll never forget tom baker taking to Twitter or whatever to reveal he was going to be in the 50th and saying "they said I couldn't tell anyone but what are they going to do to me?"

And nobody could tell if he was joking cause he has a history of saying things like "Oh yes, I'm in that. I'm called Peter Davison in that one."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I think maybe the closest Who fans have ever been to being in lockstep is that almost everybody loving loved the 50th Anniversary celebration.

Hurt's soft "...Thank you" breaks my heart everytime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24jbDasdeEU&t=74s

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The show was so lucky to get Hurt for the War Doctor. I’d love to know if Moffat had anyone else in mind.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

As a curio it'd be interesting, but it was the perfect cast.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

it's Twin Dilemma.

we all know it's Twin Dilemma.

i would DIE for Colin Baker and even I know it's Twin Dilemma.

I've been getting the blu ray box sets when they're on sale (which is fairly often) and I look at those Colin Baker seasons and go, "I've got better things I could spend money on." Maybe I'll get them someday, but I'll get any Davison box sets before that and he's my least favorite Doctor

But rather than be down on the worst, we should talk about the best Six story. I think I have to go with Davros because it's just two house of Colin Baker and Terry Molloy being enormous dicks to each other and it's amazing. But, you know, Jubilee is good, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Revelation is great but everyone knows Varos is the best.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1604182155143282689?s=20&t=uGu7rDBbRlirMaNw2-tf6Q

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Edit: beat me to it!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

I wish it was a tad more costumier but it looks great!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I like it! Except for the orange shirt. Be interesting to see it in motion! Definitely feels doctory.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm not crazy about the clashing sizes of pattern, even though it's the same tartan. Orange is my least favourite colour too, so I look forward to different colours to shake it up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
love it. assuming the shirt color will change frequently like 9's.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I got my wish! Here's it in motion. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmR2sTegqqq/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Edit: didn't realise instagram doesn't embed here. Just a link to the video posted below.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 17, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1604183394941751296

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That coat is really nice in motion!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It really is! Feels a little 10th doctor coat vibes.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 18, 2022

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Don't wear rings when you're messing about with the inside of a dalek! They'll get caught on something and your finger will get ripped right off!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That shirt looks very comfortable

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It feels both extremely 70s and modern at the same time and I dig it a lot.

I really hope the mustache stays as well. Think of the facial hair jokes when The Master shows up!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Loving the brown combination but why did they forget the shirt? It's just a shirt. That looks awful. Well I'm sure there's a regeneration mind addled reason he picks that while running from something or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Does he need a shirt? He’s got a top on.