Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Combatace posted:

I'm looking for a modern military turn based tactics game. Something that plays similar to xcom but with less aliens. I gave Jagged Alliance Back in Action a shot but I didn't find its real time/command gameplay very fun.

I think the closest to modern military one in this genre that's any good is Silent Storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

some bust on that guy posted:

Any good games recently for PS4 or Switch that have great soundtracks? Secondary wish is for games with great stories and/or fun to play. Games that aren't too long, less than 30 hours. Linear, and small world is preferred to endless overwhelming open world.

Recent games I liked a lot: FF7 Remake, Hollow Night, Bloodstained, Hat in Time, Last of Us 2

Nier was recommended to me in 2013 in this same thread and for that I love this thread forever. The most perfect game series for me discovered here.

It depends on what your tastes are in particular are for music.
  • I guess the most obvious is Crypt of the Necrodancer and its sequels since it's a game that focuses on the music, but that's a roguelike rhythm game which might not be your thing. The Zelda-spinoff sequel has dance remixes of Zelda music.
  • Spiritfarer has a sort of orchestral style to it that makes me think of a Miyazaki movie. The game itself is very chill yet deep. Gameplay isn't very complex.
  • The Wonderful 101--Action-packed game where you control a swarm of super-sentai (power rangers) heroes defending the earth from an alien attack. Very bold and heroic music.
  • The Bayonetta series--I don't really understand much of what's going on in these games, but they have one heck of a jam.
  • The Ace Attorney Series--Point and click adventure games about being a lawyer that are prone to having the music swell and rush as you make your way through a case
And for some less recent games that I think have very good music that you might've missed:
  • Bastion--A nice little action story that has you bushwhacking through the ruins of the old world with an absolute forest of a soundtrack. From a squeaky banjo to a chorus of strings and some weird electrical effects. I feel like I still tear up every time to the song at the end
  • Transistor--a weird setting that's in some kind of virtual world. The gameplay is a weird hybrid of action and turn-based that doesn't really come off well, but the music is great. Darren Korb did both this and Bastion. The main character is a pop singer who for various reasons can no longer sing, but you can press a button to have her hum along to the background music.
  • Shovel Knight--The game homages the NES and SNES and classic platformers like Mega Man and Ducktales but not as difficult. Lots of retro chiptunes.
  • Shadow of the Colossus--A fair amount of the game is pretty quiet as you search through the empty lands for where the next Colossus is, but the game really knows how to throw around its limited music to make it count.
  • Castlevania--The series that gave its roots to Bloodstained, and has that same collection of rock, organ, and orchestra music. Not all the Castlevania games play the same way though; the main "metroidvania-style" Castlevanias you can find in Symphony of the Night (only officially available on Playstation) the GBA collection (available everywhere).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Any good games recently for PS4 or Switch that have great soundtracks? Secondary wish is for games with great stories and/or fun to play. Games that aren't too long, less than 30 hours. Linear, and small world is preferred to endless overwhelming open world.

Recent games I liked a lot: FF7 Remake, Hollow Night, Bloodstained, Hat in Time, Last of Us 2

Nier was recommended to me in 2013 in this same thread and for that I love this thread forever. The most perfect game series for me discovered here.

Persona 5 has a fantastic soundtrack, decent writing (quantity over quality, but has some great *parts*), is fairly linear, but uhh is about 120 hours long.

So it hits most of those points?

Celeste is on the other end of the length spectrum and has a really memorable little 8-bit soundtrack. It's a brilliant game in general, can't recommend it enough - it's tough but also sets the bar very high for accessibility options and difficulty tweaks.

I didn't really like Gris at all but it has a beautiful orchestral score, also a very short and pretty platformer if you don't mind yet another feels indie with an on-the-nose grief theme. Yes I realise I am talking about on-the-nose feels indies after praising Celeste but it's also really fun!!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
So I managed to snag a new in box Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X stick for $7 at a thrift store today but I have no idea what to do with it. I've never played many flight games and haven't used a stick like this before. Any recommendations that would help a beginner get the hang of it? I mainly use Steam and GOG.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

FrumpleOrz posted:

So I managed to snag a new in box Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X stick for $7 at a thrift store today but I have no idea what to do with it. I've never played many flight games and haven't used a stick like this before. Any recommendations that would help a beginner get the hang of it? I mainly use Steam and GOG.

I have the T.Flight Hotas 4 and it works well with Star Wars Squadrons. I also played some IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad with it, it works at the lowest level of realism well enough, but I'm bad at flight sims so I haven't enabled anything more advanced than manual throttle.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

BrianRx posted:

I played an EA version of a mech game last year that reminded me very much of MechWarrior that I am surprised has gotten no traction so far. Big robot, customizable loadouts, heat management system, fly/jump real far, good sense of scale. I don't have a VR system, but it's designed to simulate a person in a mech, so you move your view to look at rendered control surfaces and system information (as opposed to a HUD). I liked it, but I can't for the life of me find it now. I'll check back in when I do.

This turned into a white-whale-type thing, but I found it. Vox Machinae. I think I misremembered that it was in EA but because it looks like it's out in full release. I'm going to be picking up a VR headset after the New Year and will give it a full shot then, but I enjoyed it without one as well.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FrumpleOrz posted:

I think Star Wars TIE Fighter was the best entrance to using a flightstick because the way that you start out the game with no shields and less things to keep track of really gives you room to learn the basic muscle control of using a stick and then things ramp up later. Freespace also has some ways to help learning to aim and allows for partial mission completion.

The Flight Sim thread might give you some ideas on things to play without shooting getting in the way, but sometimes more realistic flight sims can be harder to learn because it's real easy to crash. At least there's some free ones.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Persona 5 has a fantastic soundtrack, decent writing (quantity over quality, but has some great *parts*), is fairly linear, but uhh is about 120 hours long.

So it hits most of those points?

Haha yes, great soundtrack and I've played it for a good 10 hours. Just knowing there was 110 ahead was daunting. I wish I could have forced myself to stop playing Persona 4 half way. If a game is 60+ hours long, I feel like it better have a Xenogears caliber story to justify that. A lot of time to spend on one game.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It depends on what your tastes are in particular are for music.

Interested in any. Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. Will try to check them all out. Love Shadow of the Colossus and been loving Castlevania games for 35 years (I'm a goon so I'm ancient), but I haven't played the others.

I've wondered about Bayonetta. Shall I start with Bayonetta 3 do I have to go back and find Bayonetta 1?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bayo 1 is the hardest by a mile but they're all good, start with it and skip to 2 if you get too frustrated.

3 is very good but the story and writing are genuinely some of the worst insane gibberish I've ever seen. I don't care much because the gameplay is probably the best the franchise has been, which is an incredible bar to clear, but yeah.

Plus they're all great and it would probably be annoying going back to the rougher edges and lower quality of life if you start with 3.

1 probably has the best music too.

On a similar note by the same developers, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance has the most enjoyably stupid music ever and is well worth a look

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Chrono Cross has one of the best soundtracks of all time. I dont recall how long to beat though

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

On a similar note by the same developers, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance has the most enjoyably stupid music ever and is well worth a look

MGR loving owns. The music, especially the boss themes, are dope, the gameplay feels like you're doing cutscene bullshit from MGS4, and the writing is less sappy and overwrought than MGS while keeping the humor and charm. It's seriously one of the best spectacle brawlers out there. Also, the big bad guy is a roided up Libertarian senator who quotes Dr. King and yells "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN" (the game came out in 2013).

Seriously, look at this loving guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBlLsLFhS3Q

Shine fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 16, 2022

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Chrono Cross has one of the best soundtracks of all time. I dont recall how long to beat though

I love Chrono Cross music so much that I helped make and edit a video for a pianist covering the entire soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ZriJ8FTp8
Chrono Cross has been my top 3 soundtrack since 2000. A life changing game for it's music. Also because of the Nier suggestion in this very thread, and falling in love with it, I put together a 2 hour long Nier video for another pianist. I might be too into VG music.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

While the soundtrack is amazing, the game decidedly isn't. Lots of head-scratching design decisions in that one.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

I love Chrono Cross music so much that I helped make and edit a video for a pianist covering the entire soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ZriJ8FTp8
Chrono Cross has been my top 3 soundtrack since 2000. A life changing game for it's music. Also because of the Nier suggestion in this very thread, and falling in love with it, I put together a 2 hour long Nier video for another pianist. I might be too into VG music.

Holy poo poo! I actually bought that album a couple months ago! Fantastic work, thank you for helping it come to life! I hope she released the sheet music some day!

anilEhilated posted:

While the soundtrack is amazing, the game decidedly isn't. Lots of head-scratching design decisions in that one.

Yes, this is true, there are some odd choices...I still find it fun though. Honestly, the vibe it achieves (with the music being a huge part of it) outweighs any issues I have with the gameplay

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I love Chrono Cross music so much that I helped make and edit a video for a pianist covering the entire soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ZriJ8FTp8

Oh dang, I love some good piano music. Definitely checking this out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In that case, I'd also suggest watching some of 8-Bit Music Theory's videos. He does some analyses on videogame music that mostly goes over my head, but it's still a nice collection of music recommendations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

In that case, I'd also suggest watching some of 8-Bit Music Theory's videos. He does some analyses on videogame music that mostly goes over my head, but it's still a nice collection of music recommendations.

This one's good poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEA2YeIrJvE

Even if you're not a music theory tryhard (I am not, beyond the basics I picked up as a high school band geek), it's still interesting to hear someone break down the little hows and whys behind a composition.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Any recommendations for an Arena FPS or similar for a LAN party type situation but with a grab bag of random computers? Probably looking for older/low spec games that have a good combo of fun/cheap/cross-platform/easy to set up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ut99, ut2k3 and ut2k4?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cicero posted:

Any recommendations for an Arena FPS or similar for a LAN party type situation but with a grab bag of random computers? Probably looking for older/low spec games that have a good combo of fun/cheap/cross-platform/easy to set up.

Unreal Tournament 2004 has a pretty good campaign mode where you build a team of bots and do matches against other teams of bots.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

That's an extremely lucky find! Make sure you get the drivers set up first and it is not in PS4 mode: games really don't get how it has its axis' spread out otherwise.

As for games, Ace Combat 7 fully supports the T.Flight and offers some of the best arcade dogfighting you're going to find. Doesn't matter if you never played a flight game, you'll feel like a badass in no time. And if you like it, Project Wingman and Sky Rogue are going to to be right up your alley as well.

Another recommendation would be Chorus. You'll need to setup the controls a bit (I map acceleration to the throttle and dodging to the throttlebar) but it's a really fun space game that is easy to pick up but can suck you in. It has newtonian flight, so you can throw your ship around like in Battlestar Galactica and shoot backwards. Also, you play as a space witch who can teleport behind enemies and shoot magical lightning. I prefer it over Squadrons, but that could be because my GPU died while playing the latter and I haven't gone back to it since.

If you don't mind machines on the ground, it is possible to get it working with Mechwarrior 5 but requires some setup.

I'm currently using it together with emulators to play Armored Core 2, and it makes the controls a lot more fun.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Cicero posted:

Not counting Unreal Tournament 2004 and Quake 3, you might also be interested in Dusk. Fun multiplayer and you get a great singleplayer FPS as well.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It admittedly isn't my favourite but Warsow is free, can run on just about anything and is well suited for some LAN shenanigans.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e:nm found it

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 17, 2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

when ppl say lego games are good for co-op, which ones do they mean? the superhero ones are on humlbe rn, but i assume that's just like "heres a batman game with a lego skin." is there one like where the gameplay is cooperative construction puzzle solving and combat?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Mescal posted:

when ppl say lego games are good for co-op, which ones do they mean? the superhero ones are on humlbe rn, but i assume that's just like "heres a batman game with a lego skin." is there one like where the gameplay is cooperative construction puzzle solving and combat?

So the general lego-game formula is having 2 active characters running around on screen at once that you can hot swap between so doing MP just means not having to hotswap. They're all very similar and the construction is split between 'automatic' types where you break some things on the map for pieces that then assemble and 'manual' which are generally big blocks that you can stack to make stairs or whatever - very simple. Combat is simple so don't go into them expecting anything too deep.

Most of the depth of the games is based around exploring the worlds for collectibles which unlock characters/ships/skins/etc. and minigames so perfect for dragging a chillfriend along.

Basically just choose whichever one has the skin you want and they'll all play mostly the same with later entries just having more collectibles stuffed in.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Something I enjoyed doing in Forged Alliance Forever (Supreme Commander) almost more than actually playing the game was picking the biggest map my computer could handle, switching to observer mode, adding in all AI players, pressing play, and watch an apocalyptic war commence. The various colors of the factions' armies would spread across the map until dozens of battles would be fought simulatenously on the immense scale that only Supreme Commander, among RTSs, achieved. Inevitably there'd be a stalemate where a clusterfuck of units would bunch up around a chokepoint, or bases would get turtled up, immune to any assault other than experimentals, which I'd be rooting for to break through and sometimes did.

My dream for a strategy game (which I know doesn't exist yet and probably never will) is one where base construction, army building, resource gathering, attacking and defending are all automated, doing away with clicky micromanagement, while the player can issue general commands for resource distribution, attack and defense, the details of which are sorted out by the ai.

There's two games I know of somewhat like this, a MOBA (though you have no control over the battling armies here, just your hero) and Dwarf Fortress. I've never played DF but I've been reading about it since it came out on Steam. Obviously the level of micromanagement needed is beyond anything, but the player has no control over units and can only issue general commands and directives (as I understand it). Also, I love how the game generates the world and simulates its history. Legends mode would be what I was looking for if it was more than just reading about what happened - I'd rather see the action, the battles, the expansion and collapse in progress.

tl;dr I'm looking for a game, or even just a simulation which automates battles on a massive scale. Does anything like this exist or is it even possible?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Generally all of the Lego licensed games have the same basic playstyle and support co-op in the same way. Most of them follow movies to recreate their plots, but the marvel and DC superhero ones have more original plots.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

That's an extremely lucky find! Make sure you get the drivers set up first and it is not in PS4 mode: games really don't get how it has its axis' spread out otherwise.

As for games, Ace Combat 7 fully supports the T.Flight and offers some of the best arcade dogfighting you're going to find. Doesn't matter if you never played a flight game, you'll feel like a badass in no time. And if you like it, Project Wingman and Sky Rogue are going to to be right up your alley as well.

Another recommendation would be Chorus. You'll need to setup the controls a bit (I map acceleration to the throttle and dodging to the throttlebar) but it's a really fun space game that is easy to pick up but can suck you in. It has newtonian flight, so you can throw your ship around like in Battlestar Galactica and shoot backwards. Also, you play as a space witch who can teleport behind enemies and shoot magical lightning. I prefer it over Squadrons, but that could be because my GPU died while playing the latter and I haven't gone back to it since.

If you don't mind machines on the ground, it is possible to get it working with Mechwarrior 5 but requires some setup.

I'm currently using it together with emulators to play Armored Core 2, and it makes the controls a lot more fun.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Star Wars TIE Fighter was the best entrance to using a flightstick because the way that you start out the game with no shields and less things to keep track of really gives you room to learn the basic muscle control of using a stick and then things ramp up later. Freespace also has some ways to help learning to aim and allows for partial mission completion.

The Flight Sim thread might give you some ideas on things to play without shooting getting in the way, but sometimes more realistic flight sims can be harder to learn because it's real easy to crash. At least there's some free ones.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I have the T.Flight Hotas 4 and it works well with Star Wars Squadrons. I also played some IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad with it, it works at the lowest level of realism well enough, but I'm bad at flight sims so I haven't enabled anything more advanced than manual throttle.

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try to snag a few of these if they're on sale next week during Steam's winter sale!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The LEGO games are extremely chill. They are also quite simple, although there's a shitload of secrets that you can spend some time on. Pretty much ideal for playing with one's kid.

If it matters to you, the studio (Traveller's Tales) is known for making their devs crunch basically always.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ramrod hotshot, this isn't exactly what you asked for but it's a lot of fun. Do you already have a copy of divinity II? i've had LOADS of fun provoking distant NPC factions into battle. Eg: the final battle of the main area is you vs Alexander at al, and also a big monster that wants to kill you and them. you can kite them toward the seeker refugee group and all of them will fight. you can send someone farther east to provoke a dragon who you can kite over even farther east and get the other half of the seeker group involved. if you place you characters between the different areas they'll all be one huge battle that takes like at least an hour to play out. the battlefield will take up about a third of the whole island map.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Mescal posted:

Ramrod hotshot, this isn't exactly what you asked for but it's a lot of fun. Do you already have a copy of divinity II? i've had LOADS of fun provoking distant NPC factions into battle. Eg: the final battle of the main area is you vs Alexander at al, and also a big monster that wants to kill you and them. you can kite them toward the seeker refugee group and all of them will fight. you can send someone farther east to provoke a dragon who you can kite over even farther east and get the other half of the seeker group involved. if you place you characters between the different areas they'll all be one huge battle that takes like at least an hour to play out. the battlefield will take up about a third of the whole island map.

Never heard of it. $2 on Steam, hard to go wrong with that! Thanks.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Err, they were probably talking about Divinity Original Sin 2. Although Divinity 2 might also have similar mechanics? It's another of Larian's games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

He's speaking about D:OS2, the Divinity series just happens to be one of the most confusingly numbered game franchises on earth.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

tl;dr I'm looking for a game, or even just a simulation which automates battles on a massive scale. Does anything like this exist or is it even possible?

This is basically the Dominions series of games; all battles are completely automated and you just set general strategy and unit positions before battle. In between turns you’re more focused on moving about the map and general strategic commands.

There’s still lots of micromanagement though, especially in later stages of the game when your armies get really big.

There’s also the Conquest of Elysium games by the same developer, which also features automated battles, but is a simpler game (and you have even less control over your units in battles).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Never heard of it. $2 on Steam, hard to go wrong with that! Thanks.

lol i'm sorry, i means original sin ii. i haven't played the old ones. it goes 60% off at least four times a year, but it's worth full price twice. my advice to keep people from bouncing off the slightly challenging beginning is to play on easier setting (not easiest) and get a mod that will make gear or gear upgrades cheap, if you don't like messing with armor too much.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

the best part is that it's not like there's two loyalty alignments, so it's never good vs bad. All npcs have a 'favor' rating toward every PC and NPC so there aren't always clear sides in the battle. If one of your characters was mean to a merchant and another of yours was nice, he might be buffing one of your allies and punching another in the same battle. the Seekers don't have beef with the dragon, but they will fight him with everything they've got since it's trying to kill you and they (likely will) overall have a positive attitude toward your characters.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FrumpleOrz posted:

Thanks everyone. I'm gonna try to snag a few of these if they're on sale next week during Steam's winter sale!

From what I've heard, you might be better off trying to get Tie Fighter on GOG because Steam is missing a few things, but feel free to do whatever.

I generally trust old games to work more on GOG because that's their whole mandate, and that might be worth keeping in mind if you wanna explore older flightstick games.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Something I enjoyed doing in Forged Alliance Forever (Supreme Commander) almost more than actually playing the game was picking the biggest map my computer could handle, switching to observer mode, adding in all AI players, pressing play, and watch an apocalyptic war commence. The various colors of the factions' armies would spread across the map until dozens of battles would be fought simulatenously on the immense scale that only Supreme Commander, among RTSs, achieved. Inevitably there'd be a stalemate where a clusterfuck of units would bunch up around a chokepoint, or bases would get turtled up, immune to any assault other than experimentals, which I'd be rooting for to break through and sometimes did.

My dream for a strategy game (which I know doesn't exist yet and probably never will) is one where base construction, army building, resource gathering, attacking and defending are all automated, doing away with clicky micromanagement, while the player can issue general commands for resource distribution, attack and defense, the details of which are sorted out by the ai.

There's two games I know of somewhat like this, a MOBA (though you have no control over the battling armies here, just your hero) and Dwarf Fortress. I've never played DF but I've been reading about it since it came out on Steam. Obviously the level of micromanagement needed is beyond anything, but the player has no control over units and can only issue general commands and directives (as I understand it). Also, I love how the game generates the world and simulates its history. Legends mode would be what I was looking for if it was more than just reading about what happened - I'd rather see the action, the battles, the expansion and collapse in progress.

Have you heard the good word of Distant Worlds 2?

Driftland: Magic Revival also sounds up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

As much as I love TIE Fighter, its engine has a bug that can make it freak out with modern joysticks and jitter like crazy, and in general it can be kinda janky to get it to behave in general, as is sadly often the case for a ~30yo game. You also need to use external mapping software if you want to assign controls to buttons, beyond the few that the game automatically configures, so you'll be doing a lot of loving around before you can fully experience it.

Star Wars Squadrons is nowhere near as memorable a game, campaign-wise, but it does have the benefit of being a recent game on a modern engine, and the devs took care to make sure the game would work well with joysticks (a since-corrected deadzone bug aside). If you want to hop into Star Wars poo poo and shoot lasers with minimal fuss, then it's a good place to start. It also owns in VR.