Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Encourage bat flips but if a player bat flips and it's an out, the pitchers should be allowed to bean them and have it count as a strike the next at bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

zoux posted:

People should be tossing bats on solo shots to make the score 4-1? I think not.

after some thought, I've decided this situation falls under "always" and therefore yes flip that bat

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I do not understand the American expectation that athletes shouldn’t ever be visibly excited about their own athletic feats.
the protestant work ethic is deeply ingrained in the american psyche op

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because it's cool when you do something that is awesome and you act like you don't care. Cool guys do not look at explosions!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if i hit a home run in an mlb game i would try to run the bases on my hands, would that be legal?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

if i hit a home run in an mlb game i would try to run the bases on my hands, would that be legal?

You should crab walk imo...I mean you are lobster shirt after all

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lobster shirt posted:

Tony La Russa would drive to the ball park, take the mound by force and personally throw at your head

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Tony La Russa would drive to the ball park

i hope not that tends to get him in trouble

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Red posted:

Fixed that for you

yup - this was the best bat flip of the season - incredible innovation in the space - have not seen a bat spike before.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Yordan's bat flip against the Mariners didn't get enough love though - it was Bautista level.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

think im gonna watch the bautista bat flip against the rangers in the edit: playoffs, not WS, from like 7 years ago. what a moment.

You have to watch the entire inning that led up to it - it's like a 30 minute commitment but worth it for the absolutely wild context of the bat flip.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

yup - this was the best bat flip of the season - incredible innovation in the space - have not seen a bat spike before.

We need bat crotch chops, bat pony rides, bat baton twirls, bat punts, all the bat shenanigans possible

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sab0921 posted:

You have to watch the entire inning that led up to it - it's like a 30 minute commitment but worth it for the absolutely wild context of the bat flip.

I just did this and it's worth it. Make sure you watch the top of the inning too for all the context

If there's been a single wilder inning in MLB playoff history I can't think of it

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Sab0921 posted:

i watched it live and remember it well. great game. gained a great deal of respect for all the blue jays fans who threw poo poo on the field, that's what passion looks like.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i remember listening to that on the radio at work/on the way home and the radio broadcast was insane but didn't capture the majesty of the flip

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

fast cars loose anus posted:

If there's been a single wilder inning in MLB playoff history I can't think of it

Not a chance in Hell.

I listened on the radio in my car and ended up parking to listen better.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sab0921 posted:

It's like 53 minutes without commercials lol

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

fast cars loose anus posted:

I just did this and it's worth it. Make sure you watch the top of the inning too for all the context

I was gonna say something in the 2017 WS had to cap it, but no single inning was insane just the games in total. Game 5 is still just nutty as hell.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
That Jays Rangers inning is like the Brett Phillips walk off hit but it keeps happening for almost an hour.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Red posted:

I really wonder how much is Bloom and how much is the owners' going the Ricketts route of saying "we're going to make a ton of money anyway, we're not changing the bottom line for a few rings".

So they think four rings is enough in other words?

In my opinion FSG still wants to field a winner, and they're willing to spend to do it, they just don't seem willing to spend market rate for elite talent.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

No Safe Word posted:

I was gonna say something in the 2017 WS had to cap it, but no single inning was insane just the games in total. Game 5 is still just nutty as hell.

Yeah - there wasn't a singular crazy inning - it just kept building on itself.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1603828628759920641

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Congrats on Trevor May for topping Aledmys Diaz as the highest paid A in 2023

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

zoux posted:

Because it's cool when you do something that is awesome and you act like you don't care. Cool guys do not look at explosions!

Putting your head down and calmly jogging the bases is way more disrespectful than a bat flip, imo. You're signaling that it is a mundane, expected outcome. The better the pitcher the more elaborate and exuberant the celebration should be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

ZIPS has Tony Kemp as the predicted WAR leader for the As in 2023

https://twitter.com/chron_mattyoung/status/1603846637960531968?s=46&t=f3R08F6mRHcVkQy7pTIqMA

Also if we see JV in the fall classic he can help us win another WS game

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 16, 2022

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

zoux posted:

ZIPS has Tony Kemp as the predicted WAR leader for the As in 2023

Kempin ain't easy

(Tony Kemp is good and awesome and I'm glad he still rules even while on the A's)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It’s like 2.5 WAR

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Oh yeah he rules not because he's an exceptionally good player, he just rules because he rules

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Intruder posted:

May and Diaz together currently account for 30% of the A’s estimated payroll for the upcoming season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

"gentleman" tony kemp.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there is absolutely no way that May finishes the season as an A

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Tony Kemp is great and I hope he gets paid eventually.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm honestly more worried about the Mariners than the Yankees. They're on a much more...intimidating upward trajectory.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I predicte regression to Mariner bullshit by July.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Kirios posted:

I'm honestly more worried about the Mariners than the Yankees. They're on a much more...intimidating upward trajectory.

this makes me very happy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in my mlb the show rtts campaign, its 2026 and aaron judge plays for the mariners but they're bad and haven't made the playoffs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/baseballinpix/status/1603857499508965376?s=46&t=f3R08F6mRHcVkQy7pTIqMA

Goes hard

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jesserogersespn/status/1603860691072557056?s=46&t=1g94ErLdkiyNNPPUntjnIQ

Getting light at corner OF out there…

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Glad the Yankees didn't do this. he isn't any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
BRING BACK UNCLE MIKE