Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I don't think he ever did his first general amnesty and so I am not sure he will do this specific one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
he stopped the steal and is re doing it.

also supposed its getting stolen even harder now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
At least on Twitter I can block the site owner.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Is anyone else listening to this twitter space convo? Elon stopped by and now they're talking about lowtax
https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1yNxaNwdboqKj?s=20

Also it seems even if you're banned you can still use spaces?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
When you think about it, has anyone ever seen Elon and Jeffrey in the same place at once?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Over under on when he gets a forums account?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Over under on when he gets a forums account?

I firmly believe he already had one and got banned long, long ago. Like in 2002 or something.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I firmly believe he already had one and got banned long, long ago. Like in 2002 or something.

All right, rephrase: over under on when he reregs/starts being active again on a long dormant account?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pesty13480 posted:

I don't think he ever did his first general amnesty and so I am not sure he will do this specific one.

The first “amnesty” was when he alert an army of banned far-righters back in

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

T Zero posted:

Is anyone else listening to this twitter space convo? Elon stopped by and now they're talking about lowtax
https://twitter.com/i/spaces/1yNxaNwdboqKj?s=20

Also it seems even if you're banned you can still use spaces?
Here is a recording of Elon's appearance, he leaves pretty much immediately when people push back against his claims:

https://twitter.com/brenonade/status/1603612768221155328

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rebel Blob posted:

Here is a recording of Elon's appearance, he leaves pretty much immediately when people push back against his claims:

https://twitter.com/brenonade/status/1603612768221155328

I don't understand how this guy manages to convince whole boardrooms to give him money and control over companies. I would nod politely at this fucker and when he leaves tell everyone around me "all right, who else have we got?"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they're in the same ballpark stupidity level too.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I feel like if Google was like "hey we made a twitter, it's basically the same as pre-Musk twitter except more competent on the technical side" all the corporations and journalists would jump ship immediately.

I know there's a bunch of random other upstarts but it seems hard to overcome the network effects of existing Twitter, would be easier for a current tech giant to do it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well, they had Google + but Twitter killed it years ago.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
In a different timeline, Google+ is unveiled in early 2023 and it makes a killing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

All right, rephrase: over under on when he reregs/starts being active again on a long dormant account?

Well Seraph has been reregging a lot lately....

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

If Elon does the Lowtax thing, how much money does Grimes "Claire" Boucher stand to inherit and what percentage of it will be spent on insane elf poo poo?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

This Is the Zodiac posted:

If Elon does the Lowtax thing, how much money does Grimes "Claire" Boucher stand to inherit and what percentage of it will be spent on insane elf poo poo?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1603804175858429952

No idea but this is veering close to "suicide note" territory for Musk. And/or "about to something that I think is real smart but will ultimately lead to my suicide"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What the gently caress does that even mean? This is like the Dilbert guy going "everything is on the table" talking like some lovely movie villain.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Electric Phantasm posted:

What the gently caress does that even mean? This is like the Dilbert guy going "everything is on the table" talking like some lovely movie villain.

Educated guess it’s another “Twitter files revelation”.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Matt Taibbi promised another Twitter Files drop at 4pm Eastern, so probably that.

Though the Twitter Files project might be in jeopardy now that Bari Weiss has betrayed him by saying he shouldn't have banned all those journalists:

Imagine publicly feuding with someone he gave employee-level access to Twitter's systems to a week ago.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Matt Taibbi promised another Twitter Files drop at 4pm Eastern, so probably that.

Though the Twitter Files project might be in jeopardy now that Bari Weiss has betrayed him by saying he shouldn't have banned all those journalists:

Imagine publicly feuding with someone he gave employee-level access to Twitter's systems to a week ago.

Again, this feels like something Lowtax would do. Give admin-access to some rando for some capricious reason, and then lose his poo poo when that person immediately does something to piss him off.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Jokes aside, one of the ways Twitter becomes obsolete is if the conversation moves somewhere else...but it's difficult for it to happen without a dramatic break. Luckily, we are potentially a few tweets away from Musk doing something idiotic like banning all the WaPo journalists from Twitter because someone has been mean to him.

In fact, we are already at the "you can only post news on twitter if the owner of the company lets you" which is inevitably going to create a big issue the next time Musk walks into a field of rakes and everyone starts reporting on it.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I wonder why he didn't just put up realtime location trackers of other people.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That requires there be somewhere for the conversation to go, and it's not clear that there is.

Mastodon is the closest of them all, is it permitted to link from Twitter to Mastodon again or is that still blocked?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

That requires there be somewhere for the conversation to go, and it's not clear that there is.

Mastodon is the closest of them all, is it permitted to link from Twitter to Mastodon again or is that still blocked?

New links to any Mastodon instance Twitter knows about are blocked, and existing ones throw up an "unsafe link" warning. He's so incredibly mad.

It's just simple string matching, though. Capitalizing a letter in the URL or adding a bit of junk at the end is enough to bypass both filters.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

haveblue posted:

Yeah I agree that it is not going to happen on its own, and the lack of a clear alternative is one of the reasons. But if the 2024 elections come around and Musk starts banning all the journos that are mean to his favourite candidate, what are they going to do, stay silent?

They'll move to the next best thing, even if it's not comparable. And he may just be dumb enough to cause enough of a shift for it to matter...at the end of the day, the people on a social media platform are the product.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 16, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

A lot of those guys who got suspended on Twitter like Rupar and Binder are already posting on Mastodon and new accounts peaked again last night, so the conversation is on the move as we speak

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Young Freud posted:

A lot of those guys who got suspended on Twitter like Rupar and Binder are already posting on Mastodon and new accounts peaked again last night, so the conversation is on the move as we speak
The funny thing is, with 95% of what's happened so far if only Musk had been a smidge less of an rear end, nobody that matters would be talking about Mastodon or any of it really just a few weeks in.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Young Freud posted:

For real, new accounts on a couple of instances DOUBLED after last night's farce. Which won't kill Twitter, but Musk has been causing these bursts of people to just say gently caress it and leave like once a week.

My prediction is that it will be deteriorating like this, and once we get closer to the presidential election he's going to ban or otherwise do something on a stupid enough level that you'll see some mix of a big news account or a massive enough exodus that will really gut it.

I notice some people are already suggesting the Post, NYT, etc. each just run their own employee-only Mastodon instance which is interesting. So like every single account you see that's "@NYT" you already know is real, etc. Small groups of people can run private instances and anyone can join any of the open ones but once you see one or two of the major media accounts make another platform their base that's the real beginning of the end for Twitter.

I think also the effects of the early performative incompetence poo poo posts are wearing off and people are finally realizing that yeah, Mastodon and the other many alternatives aren't exactly like Twitter, but they're not the insanely complex things people were acting like they were at first and you do get a different vibe with ones that aren't built around ads where everyone's in a race to the bottom to poo poo out "content."

But especially Musk actively banning Mastodon stuff and giving the malicious content warning to just simple "hey I'm on Mastodon @name" posts was the dumbest thing he could have possibly done yesterday if he wanted people to not think about Mastodon.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think the biggest obstacle for Mastodon is the lack of widespread embedding features. You need ways to broadcast toots (lol) easily to people outside the ecosystem.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Someone mentioned that in another thread or earlier in this one and I'm pretty sure that sort of thing will come as the platform becomes more prominent. Discord already embeds them and if Twitter continues this trajectory, presumably other platforms will implement support as well.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

oliveoil posted:

I wonder why he didn't just put up realtime location trackers of other people.

Maybe the Alex Jones lawsuit?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I don't pay attention to conspiracy theories. Why would that stop him but not the person who was sharing his location?

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

oliveoil posted:

I don't pay attention to conspiracy theories. Why would that stop him but not the person who was sharing his location?

I might be misunderstanding who the “him” is in your post. I thought you were talking about Musk.

If you were talking about ElonJet, the account never provided real-time location information of Musk in the first place.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I look forward to the first time I see anyone, anywhere, post a link to anything on Mastodon.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've seen that several times on Discord.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mzbundifund posted:

I look forward to the first time I see anyone, anywhere, post a link to anything on Mastodon.

Here you go https://mastodon.social/@elonjet :wink:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Love that their current landing page graphic is basically Mastodon users welcoming new Twitter refugees:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So is there a goon mastodon?