Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

Russia's opening move was an attempt to sack Kyiv so I'm not really sure I understand the suggestion that Ukraine shouldn't pursue targets within Russia. Russia already set that bar for escalation on Day 1.
Barring a few clear military targets near the border, Ukraine shouldn't pursue targets within Russia if they want to keep receiving military aid from the EU and US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
gently caress that noise.

Military bases, equipment, and personnel are valid targets for AFU anywhere in Russia.

Open the catalog and give them anything they ask for.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

gently caress that noise.

Military bases, equipment, and personnel are valid targets for AFU anywhere in Russia.

Open the catalog and give them anything they ask for.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
As an american taxpayer: crunch all you want, AFU, we’ll make more!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Herman Merman posted:

Barring a few clear military targets near the border, Ukraine shouldn't pursue targets within Russia if they want to keep receiving military aid from the EU and US.

I forget if it was Blinken or another high ranking individual who said it, but the US has explicitly stated as recently as a week or two ago that Ukraine is within their rights to attack military targets in Russia. Especially for those that are being used for the purposes of attacking civilian infrastructure.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

psydude posted:

I forget if it was Blinken or another high ranking individual who said it, but the US has explicitly stated as recently as a week or two ago that Ukraine is within their rights to attack military targets in Russia. Especially for those that are being used for the purposes of attacking civilian infrastructure.

Speaking of targeting civilian infrastructure.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1603681341727539200?s=20&t=3v8HPbNzaiIGc-PG9TuxYA

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
We mustn't piss off the Russians, now!

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Fuckem

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A.o.D. posted:

We mustn't piss off the Russians, now!

You will regret this!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Herman Merman posted:

That sure is a take. Feel free to elaborate on it before it becomes a hot take that was lobbed into the discussion with no follow-up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Herman Merman posted:

Ukraine has been pursuing targets within Russia from the very start, and it has had no impact on military aid from the EU and US. Facts do not support your thesis.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I used to call things I didn’t like gay and use the other f word about things besides gay people (but also sometimes gay people, even if I had no real issue with them), and the first few times I got pushback on it I went Louis CK and it’s just wordsssss maaannnn, but I adjusted, largely to avoid hassle at first but as time went on I saw the point and even if it was language I grew up with, it doesn’t mean I couldn’t evolve.

Anyway, much of the on-the-spectrum/sperg-out/OCD descriptive language we used to use so much is the next step. I’m not blameless either, but I can see the point of trying to clean it up.

Anyway, back to gently caress Russia

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

didn't the Polish make an RPG that was literally just a rocket you could fire by hand

They did, gave a bunch of them to Ukraine early in the war.

RPG-76 Komar - Wikipedia

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Herman Merman posted:

On the contrary, my sense is that deep strikes into Russia are probably less about degrading Russian capabilities and more about influencing Western media to continue the "Russia is completely and utterly incompetent, look at what Ukraine can do with less-than-modern weapons" narrative. As we've recently discussed, the front line reality is most likely a brutal war with some relative parity (with Ukraine being far more cautious than Russia in regards to tactics.) However, an overarching narrative of relative parity may allow for a sense of futility to take hold in Western governments, subsequently slowing or stopping the flow of support to Ukraine.

Ergo, "humiliating" deep strikes into Russia 1) help ensure broad foreign support for the campaign and 2) boost overall Ukrainian morale.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GD_American posted:

I used to call things I didn’t like gay and use the other f word about things besides gay people (but also sometimes gay people, even if I had no real issue with them), and the first few times I got pushback on it I went Louis CK and it’s just wordsssss maaannnn, but I adjusted, largely to avoid hassle at first but as time went on I saw the point and even if it was language I grew up with, it doesn’t mean I couldn’t evolve.

Anyway, much of the on-the-spectrum/sperg-out/OCD descriptive language we used to use so much is the next step. I’m not blameless either, but I can see the point of trying to clean it up.

I just find it laughable that we're totally cool with calling people broke brains here but issue warnings for saying "on the spectrum."

Mmm yes, it's totally cool to call people with any manner of mental health issues "broken".

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Bombing a target anywhere in Russian territory or in international waters is a cool and good use of Ukrainian munitions.

Taking Russian territory permanently is a whole other thing. If you're going to move the imaginary lines on the map without the consent of people on both sides of it, you're the bad guy now.

The Russian invasion is, in my mind anyway, a direct analogue of the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait. Let's suppose, purely for the purposes of discussion, that Saddam wasn't making poo poo up and the Kuwaitis were actually slant drilling over the border and stealing Iraqi oil. Even if that had been true the Iraqi invasion and announced annexation wasn't going to stand.

So it is here, with all of Putin's blatant re-USSR-ization of the map: there isn't an excuse big enough to justify it.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

Ukraine has been pursuing targets within Russia from the very start, and it has had no impact on military aid from the EU and US. Facts do not support your thesis.
Pursuing targets that aren't militarily relevant targets near the border like the fuel depot or the Kerch bridge for example?

If Ukrainian infantry starts crossing the border in any significant capacity, or if Ukraine starts lobbing missiles or artillery fire across the border and even accidentally hits civilian targets, they'll find that the popular support in western countries for supporting their war effort will wane real quick, and western governments will not act against public opinion.

It's vital for Ukraine to remain the good guys in the eyes of the western voters.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

I just find it laughable that we're totally cool with calling people broke brains here but issue warnings for saying "on the spectrum."

Mmm yes, it's totally cool to call people with any manner of mental health issues "broken".

I kind of think that among former military "broke brains" has n-word privileges. i.e. we are talking about ourselves.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Yeah we’re open enough about our own various diagnosis that there’s a healthy bit of self-deprecation there, but you have a point in that we can take that too far too.

I kinda dialled back on that talk after I took my current job and started dealing with 100% dissasociative schizophrenics or people that are pedal to the metal bipolar, and realized my little case of the sads was fairly minor league

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Herman Merman posted:

Pursuing targets that aren't militarily relevant targets near the border like the fuel depot or the Kerch bridge for example?

If Ukrainian infantry starts crossing the border in any significant capacity, or if Ukraine starts lobbing missiles or artillery fire across the border and even accidentally hits civilian targets, they'll find that the popular support in western countries for supporting their war effort will wane real quick, and western governments will not act against public opinion.

It's vital for Ukraine to remain the good guys in the eyes of the western voters.

They've been hitting random villages in Belgorod with artillery shells pretty much since the start.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GD_American posted:

Yeah we’re open enough about our own various diagnosis that there’s a healthy bit of self-deprecation there, but you have a point in that we can take that too far too.

My wife has pretty severe ADHD that she's struggling with. I don't think she's broken, I just think society isn't really set up for the way her mind works. And I think it's silly that McNally is haranguing people for saying Savant but is totally chill with everyone talking about how loltastic their PTSD is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ll allow it as long as we can say the bitch word again

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Herman Merman posted:

Please explain why fuel depots and kerch bridge arent militarily relevant

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

My wife has pretty severe ADHD that she's struggling with. I don't think she's broken, I just think society isn't really set up for the way her mind works. And I think it's silly that McNally is haranguing people for saying Savant but is totally chill with everyone talking about how loltastic their PTSD is.

I find it a bit weird that baying for the death of cops is fine but saying bitch is not. Or that deliberately being an rear end in a top hat is OK, just so long as you avoid the bad words when you do it. :shrug:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wait can we not say bitch anymore

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

psydude posted:

I have some pretty severe poo poo going on, and i gotta say that despite having broken brains i don't think that I am broken

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Let's find out.

smoke crack is a _____

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

It's been off limits for months if not years. I dunno. It's kind of a weird thing - that post earlier about the language treadmill was interesting. Pejoratives change over time, language does, I guess for me the guiding principle is more don't deliberately be an rear end in a top hat, but I also recognize that I come from a background where all sorts of poo poo gets thrown around so I'm a little less sensitive to whichever words as well.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

psydude posted:

a bunch of this site never matured past being a dumbass 15 year old and/or just does not give a poo poo about the actual reasons why you might not want to be maximally insensitive. that's just people in general though.

GD_American posted:

Yeah this. There's a degree of grace to going through the world in a way that puts people at ease and isn't instantly, needlessly offputting to significant portions of people. I don't especially make it my business or care that much how other people choose to talk as long as they're not being actively hateful, but just cutting some poo poo out of my own vocabulary makes my life simpler and other people more comfortable.

It's kind of like being in shape past a certain age: you don't have to be perfectly fit to look way better than all the 40+ year old guys who don't even try.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 17, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Christ, I'm loving sorry I said anything.

I was taking action on a report that I felt had some merit. Someone felt strongly enough about it to make the report, it seemed reasonable on the surface to me, so I said something. Clearly I'm the rear end in a top hat here.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

McNally posted:

Clearly I'm the rear end in a top hat here.

Yeah but you make good youtube videos, so we'll keep you around.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

McNally posted:

Christ, I'm loving sorry I said anything.

I was taking action on a report that I felt had some merit. Someone felt strongly enough about it to make the report, it seemed reasonable on the surface to me, so I said something. Clearly I'm the rear end in a top hat here.

:shrug: it's started a conversation, and a fairly reasonable one imo

Keep being an rear end in a top hat

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
It's almost like we train young men to drop fire on people but their commanders won't allow them to write "gently caress" on their airplanes because it's obscene.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Wrong Theory posted:

It's almost like we train young men to drop fire on people but their commanders won't allow them to write "gently caress" on their airplanes because it's obscene.

What an appropriate time to crosspost from the Cold War thread:

Edit: Followed a few links and found this gem:

Task and Purpose: No, this KC-135’s call sign is not ‘Titties,’ Air Force says posted:

We displayed it on the service as it came out of the aircraft,” Petchenik said on Friday. “The aircraft at the time was seen by 94 separate receivers in the area. This isn’t a question other than: That was plugged into the flight computer and that is what came out as the call sign.”

“The long and the short of it is that not only did they broadcast the ‘Titties’ call sign; they started with the ‘Boobie’ call sign and then quickly switched to the ‘Titties’ call sign, judging by the raw data that we pulled,” Petchenik added.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 17, 2022

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Would doing something like that actually lead to disciplinary action?

Also,
The problem is "Idiot" just doesn't hit the same.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Joke Miriam posted:

Also,

The growler crew that drew a sky dick got disciplined, IIRC

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Joke Miriam posted:

Also,

"Idiot," "dumb," and "moron," are all ableist slurs if that's the road we're going down. If you don't want to get all Twitter-brained over stuff a better metric is to just gauge based on context and how people respond. The last time those words were said in any seriously hateful way was probably the 1940s.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Joke Miriam posted:

Also,

Vapid ignoramus.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Tiny Timbs posted:

"Idiot," "dumb," and "moron," are all ableist slurs if that's the road we're going down. If you don't want to get all Twitter-brained over stuff a better metric is to just gauge based on context and how people respond. The last time those words were said in any seriously hateful way was probably the 1940s.

Retarded is actually a politically correct term created to get away from terms like moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bum the Sad posted:

Retarded is actually a politically correct term created to get away from terms like moron.

Reactionary effect to McNamara's Morons?