Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Glad the Yankees didn't do this. he isn't any good.

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1603861567585542150?s=46&t=1g94ErLdkiyNNPPUntjnIQ

What is that $17m aav? Seems ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1603859014147792905?s=20&t=5M9d9WwyRsvAXsE71hMVXw

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I want to die

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah, the missing piece

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Glad to have dodged those bullets, now sign Brantley or Conforto please Shapiro/Atkins/Edward Rogers whoever the gently caress is running things

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

I want to die

I liked Gallo and wish he did well while he was a Yankee. He will also probably benefit quite a bit from the shift ban.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How the gently caress is this true?

https://twitter.com/JRFegan/status/1603862571475427341?s=20&t=uduWeUkTZO4K8IEWtm9WOQ

ihatepants posted:

I liked Gallo and wish he did well while he was a Yankee. He will also probably benefit quite a bit from the shift ban.

I also like him and he'll be helped a little by the shift ban, but there are really, really bad contact issues underlying the AVG numbers, not just the pull tendency.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi/status/1603866044103278593

See ya later Tony, you weren't good but man all those years of control!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Nimmo for 20AAV is a way better deal than Benintendi at 17.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ihatepants posted:

This is fair but we literally just freed ourselves from Miguel Sano only to just sign the white version so you can maybe understand my nihilistic view on the signing

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Benintendi is a career .279/.351/.431 hitter and hit .300 last year. That's a useful player, but... yawn.

I would be a bad GM because I would never sign players like that. Give me guys who hit massive dingers plz

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Pussy Boss posted:

Benintendi is a career .279/.351/.431 hitter and hit .300 last year. That's a useful player, but... yawn.

I would be a bad GM because I would never sign players like that. Give me guys who hit massive dingers plz

:same:

sort by HR and start dumping the money in, let’s fuckin’ GO

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Nimmo for 20AAV is a way better deal than Benintendi at 17.

5/75 is 15, zoux is just bad at math

That said, I'd still rather have Nimmo of the two probably, but at this point I just want Uncle Mike back

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm glad Benintendi got his 5 years elsewhere because I was pretty confident the Yankees weren't gonna give him that and to be honest I'm not that interested in seeing him back even on like a 3 or 4 year deal. But that being said I think that means the Yankees just go with a "wait and see" approach with LF with Stanton/Cabrera/Hicks/Locastro/whoever into spring training. And I'm ok with that myself but the usual suspects are gonna scream about it all winter and say it as proof they're cheap losers who don't want to do anything despite the half a billion they spent on arguably the top two free agents.

The one out of box thing I can think of is offering Carpenter a 1 year/incentives contract as the starting LFer.

And yeah, I think Gallo is a solid reclamation project pick up with the shift ban.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like, how many points of OPS are we expecting dead pull hitters to add next season? More or less than .100

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the additional hits they'll get will almost all be singles to RF, so not a ton of OPS impact

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

BRING BACK UNCLE MIKE

Astros just need to do this and they're favorites in the AL, if not already

vvvv yeah those pics of him hanging out at Vegas with the rest of the guys was nice to see

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is my firm belief that Mike will retire an Astro.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bawfuls posted:

the additional hits they'll get will almost all be singles to RF, so not a ton of OPS impact

I imagine there's a nicer benefit in like just less double plays or rally killing ABs. But I don't know how you cleanly quantify that especially as a predicative thing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

How the gently caress is this true?

I'm pretty sure the first 9 figurecontract ever given out by Reinsdorf was to Zach LaVine last summer.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/byrobertmurray/status/1603871884159815682

lol, and lmao

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Paracaidas posted:

Same piece notes the Twins leaked they could have "eventually" gone up to $300m. I have a strong sense that if they offered that midseason, or even at the start of the offseason, they'd currently have Correa.

Lol come on. He signed for $350 million. That's no small difference. He took a 1 year bet on himself deal, so he could get a mega contract this off-season. His objective was always 'more than Lindor' money. $300 million is a lot, but I think you're deluding yourself to imagine he'd have signed any sooner than he did. Boras and he played the whole situation perfectly.

Like, be mad the Twins wouldn't go to $350 million, god knows I wanted them too! But creating imaginary scenarios where he signs for cheap is pointless narrative concoction.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What did Boston get out of trading for Hosmer in the first place? Did they just hate Jay Groome?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I imagine there's a nicer benefit in like just less double plays or rally killing ABs. But I don't know how you cleanly quantify that especially as a predicative thing.
right but those are still outs turning into mostly singles, it'll be an AVG increase of maybe 50 points in the most extreme cases and I'd bet most cases it'll be less than 20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm glad Benintendi got his 5 years elsewhere because I was pretty confident the Yankees weren't gonna give him that and to be honest I'm not that interested in seeing him back even on like a 3 or 4 year deal. But that being said I think that means the Yankees just go with a "wait and see" approach with LF with Stanton/Cabrera/Hicks/Locastro/whoever into spring training. And I'm ok with that myself but the usual suspects are gonna scream about it all winter and say it as proof they're cheap losers who don't want to do anything despite the half a billion they spent on arguably the top two free agents.

The one out of box thing I can think of is offering Carpenter a 1 year/incentives contract as the starting LFer.

And yeah, I think Gallo is a solid reclamation project pick up with the shift ban.

You can't have carp as the starting LF based on 100 and change AB's from last season that included being completely non competitive in the playoffs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bawfuls posted:

right but those are still outs turning into mostly singles, it'll be an AVG increase of maybe 50 points in the most extreme cases and I'd bet most cases it'll be less than 20

Yeah, that's what I mean. I feel like we're gonna see guys' averages go up but not their SLG. And a bunch of people will then say those are empty ABs. But a bunch of other people will not less double plays and RISP left on base or something. But it will all be too murky to sum up clearly and a bunch of people will be like "but his OPS hasn't gone up." Maybe the advanced stats will account for that stuff but its all gonna be very eye test at least to start, I think.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

You can't have carp as the starting LF based on 100 and change AB's from last season that included being completely non competitive in the playoffs.

Its hardly an ideal situation but barring a better option I wouldn't hate a deal that amounts to "we'll start you in LF but if you're not hitting by June you're not the starting LFer."

I also wouldn't mind them just splitting time out there with Stanton and Cabrera (and I guess Hicks) and any one who might emerge in Spring Training until whatever happens with the team happens. I just think Yankee fans are gonna scream bloody murder over that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

live with fruit posted:

What did Boston get out of trading for Hosmer in the first place? Did they just hate Jay Groome?

They turned one iffy pitching prospect who was about to be rule 5 eligible for two iffy infield prospects who weren't

Hosmer was always a bit of a weird fit on the team given the arrival of Casas, but still it's a head scratcher move to cut him loose now.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

STAC Goat posted:

Without Benintendi, how many lefty bats do the Yankees have?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's what I mean. I feel like we're gonna see guys' averages go up but not their SLG. And a bunch of people will then say those are empty ABs. But a bunch of other people will not less double plays and RISP left on base or something. But it will all be too murky to sum up clearly and a bunch of people will be like "but his OPS hasn't gone up." Maybe the advanced stats will account for that stuff but its all gonna be very eye test at least to start, I think.

I mean their OPS will go up, because extra singles mean a) higher OBP and b) more total bases which equals better slugging

e: even in the most extreme cases I think you're looking at <50 points though

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Red posted:

Without Benintendi, how many lefty bats do the Yankees have?

Rizzo.

Hicks and Cabrera are switch-hitters, as well.

Also with Benintendi signing there are lots of people talking about the Twins dealing Kepler and the Yankees being in on him so I had to go into the vault to bust out this amazing analysis from the other year.

https://twitter.com/BallySportsNOR/status/1289691915621810178?s=20&t=faege8GnDRcjLtZuCoCcuQ

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
And Kepler wanst even getting juiced balls!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Rizzo.

Also with Benintendi signing there are lots of people talking about the Twins dealing Kepler and the Yankees being in on him so I had to go into the vault to bust out this amazing analysis from the other year.

https://twitter.com/BallySportsNOR/status/1289691915621810178?s=20&t=faege8GnDRcjLtZuCoCcuQ

Then what happened? I certainly wouldn't trade Volpe, Peraza or Dominguez for him.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
can matt carpenter even play left field these days? like is he physically able to run around the outfield and not look like a total doofus

asking because i honestly have no idea

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kepler is probably the 4th best OFer on a contender. He's fine but that's about it.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

IcePhoenix posted:

This is fair but we literally just freed ourselves from Miguel Sano only to just sign the white version so you can maybe understand my nihilistic view on the signing

The dumb part is it doesn't even fill any need. I'd understand if Gallo was a right handed bat, but they already have Kepler, Kirilloff, and Larnach.

If this doesn't result in one of them being traded for some pitching help, Falvey and Levine should be fired.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Rizzo.

Kepler has always been a Statcast enigma because he looks great on Statcast, but his actual in game performance hasn't lined up (except for the 2019 rocket ball year). His BABIP is historically low (.248 career puts him as 6th lowest ever since 1961). Banning the shift should help a little because he's supposedly lost the second most hits to the shift since 2020 and adding those 47 hits bumps up his .220 average since 2020 to .268

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Kepler's fun because he's German and there aren't that many European players in MLB but that's about it.

Actually, I think he might be the only one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kepler's SLG has decreased every year for 4 years now and it was under 350 last year.... That is like out of baseball level poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Johnny Bravo posted:

can matt carpenter even play left field these days? like is he physically able to run around the outfield and not look like a total doofus

asking because i honestly have no idea

He played a little out there last season as the Yankees were trying to find a way to get him everyday abs. He looks ok? Who knows how he’d hold up even without the injury he picked up though. It would very much be a “you want to start everyday, we need a LFer and backup 1B, we can try this if you’re willing” project for the spring. I have no idea if that would be appealing to either side but the alternatives are make a trade with a team looking to score big from you or Stanton/Cabrera/Hicks. And if Carpenter can’t play LF (or hit) then it’s Stanton/Cabrera/Hicks anyway. So I dunno. It’s just a random thought of what they could possibly do outside the box this winter.

Obviously that’s all moot if Carpenter can get a better deal somewhere else. Or if there’s some trade target the Yanks like. But I don’t see Cashman giving up a lot. And don’t see an obvious guy he should for.