Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I thought it had its roots in speed garage? Was it just dormant from 2000-2016?

Not that I'm too sure what Bass House is I'm assuming stuff like "Jauz - Feel The Volume" ?

tempo and early vibes seem to stem from breakout commercial "Deep House" tracks like Oliver Heldens, Disclosure ect.. But there's certainly influences from genres like Bassline, Ghetto/Booty House, Bmore, and Electrohouse which all have ties back to Speed Garage

Edit: Also is Tek a techno subgenre or what people are calling happy hardcore these days? I've heard both.

I think a Psytrance derivative that's pretty fast and associated with free DIY outdoor forest parties and such.

And yeah tempos have gone crazy in Techno, hard stuff seems to be back in fashion across the board, genres have been shifting for longer than usual and covid really threw a wrench into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

abuse culture. posted:

Happy hardcore is coming back baby

Please god no.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Please god no.
I thought I was out, but I guess I'm back
*Sledgehammers my basement floor, revealing a buried suitcase. Inside is a complete set of shrinkwrapped Bonkers CDs*

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've been waiting for this day for like 15 years

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I'm happy to announce I had my first actual big gig on Thursday spinning for a Kontravoid and Lunacy show. (It's my second official gig but the first one was super casual) It actually went really really well and people super enjoyed my set. (which you can find here https://www.mixcloud.com/Cola_al_Karz/dj-cherry-live-dj-set-kontravoid-and-lunacy-in-tampa-12082022/)

The one thing I'm running into that I need to troubleshoot before my next gig (which is this friday AGH) is that my controller, a Hercules Inpulse 500, keeps turning on the bpm sync lock when I don't want it to. I don't know if it's a problem with the controller specifically or virtual DJ or both...but frequently I found myself adjusting the BPM on the pending song and suddenly the song that's playing goes nuts. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
Hardcore til I Die

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R17zaryLd3w
First shot at a bass house stream after exploring the genre for a couple days. Pretty clumsy all around, but I feel a lot better about how I have to progress.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ Good stuff! I love the visuals! I noticed you have more of that content on your channel, is that some sort of video synth?

What do you cats call really aggressive tearout tunes at around 110BPM? This sort of sound got really big around the same time as heavy Dubstep, and it was largely made by the same producers - I've even heard people talk about tracks like Reptile by Skrillex, The Underground by Excision & Downlink, or Knife Party's remix of Unison by Porter Robinson, as 'Dubstep.' I know that much is incorrect but I've probably been miscategorizing it myself. I'm also not talking about Moombahton, although there is some significant crossover there. Almost all of this stuff has a two-step rhythm as opposed to the hemiola common in Reggaeton/Moombahton.

Back when I was fairly confident in my songwriting I even took a stab at some.

Usually when it goes into my library I either label it Breaks (if the rhythm is relatively straight) or Glitch-Hop (if it's got significant swing or shuffle to it). I think it's time I revisit this because it was enough of its own thing to warrant delineation, and it's a bit of a chore to tab through a bunch of 110BPM tunes when I'm looking to put together some actual Breaks at ~130BPM.

I've heard the term 'Ghetto Funk' or 'Ghetto Tech' tossed around a bit, can't say I like that but whatever.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 16, 2022

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

^ Good stuff! I love the visuals! I noticed you have more of that content on your channel, is that some sort of video synth?

It's mostly recorded feedback fed through a datamosh program (dd_glitchassist) and composited in Resolume. I'm glad you liked the visuals, I haven't been focused on them as much while I try to get good at DJing.
Speaking of: how do yall take a mix and polish it up? I tried doing another live take at that mix to fix some of the more glaring errors and it somehow turned out worse, or at least not better. I rushed mixes that I thought I nailed before, dropped in weird spots, scratched with the crossfader open. Then I tried another couple times to retake it offline and I kept scrapping it partway through. Is there a note taking system people use?

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

It's mostly recorded feedback fed through a datamosh program (dd_glitchassist) and composited in Resolume. I'm glad you liked the visuals, I haven't been focused on them as much while I try to get good at DJing.
Speaking of: how do yall take a mix and polish it up? I tried doing another live take at that mix to fix some of the more glaring errors and it somehow turned out worse, or at least not better. I rushed mixes that I thought I nailed before, dropped in weird spots, scratched with the crossfader open. Then I tried another couple times to retake it offline and I kept scrapping it partway through. Is there a note taking system people use?

The secret is to record it in ableton

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
For me it's about discerning between 'mistakes I can live with' and 'trainwreck poo poo'. An EQ swap done a moment too late? Not a big deal. A cue point missed for a critically-timed mix? Used to be a huge deal but with the Beat Jump functions on the CDJs this is recoverable. Effects on the wrong track? Depends how glaringly stupid it sounds, generally I let it slide. Forgetting entirely to adjust the pitch on an incoming track resulting in major clashing? Yeah I'll probably start over.

Obviously live you don't have the luxury of backspinning all your decks in frustration and starting your set over; if you make a fatal error you just kind of have to shrug and grin like Jim from The Office. Fortunately, nobody in the crowd really cares too much.

I've only just recently reached a comfort level where I can nail an OPS mix in one take. But there are still loads of mistakes in there. It's easy to get too into your own head also; overthinking and stress can cause you to screw up more. These days if I don't nail a perfect mix in my second take, it's break time.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I just want something I'm proud enough of to post to Soundcloud :smith:

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

20 or so years ago I when I started I would record into my cracked copy of soundforge and copy & paste different takes together. I would find a convenient point in the waveform(s), like say right at the drop or something in the breakdown and just highlight, cut, copy and paste the best bits together in the sound editor. At the time I did consider it cheating but at least I was still doing the mixes by hand (more on this later) and id argue it was a much more difficult time. Needles jumping while cueing on your perfectly timed mix or no master tempo so you can hear those wild pitch bends lol. But you had to have an absolutely flawless mix for promoters. Another technique I was made aware of and even tried myself was recoding all the songs at the same tempo and then just layering and lining up the beats in an audio editor. Amount of work to get that sounding right is greater than just mixing normally imo. Although I assume most professional mix CDs were done that way in Pro Tools or whatever [pre Abelton]. As long as your not grossly overstating your skills I would not be troubled morally by it now, esp now in the age of sync. In fact making mixes in this calculated way can help with set-design and flow of tracks so if it sounds interesting try it. Just don't go around promoting a 60 track hot mix when you can't mix in phase live [not aimed directly at you, I don't mean to imply you can't, the video mix seemed great]. On the flip side tho it is so much easier now with accurate tempo resolutions, live bpm numbers to the hundreds place, tracks that are all the same tempo, structure and sound, just practice practice practice and you'll get there like any skill.

basically this V

abuse culture. posted:

The secret is to record it in ableton

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh yeah, there's no shame in cutting and pasting together a couple of good takes. Doesn't really work with video unless you're able to hide it under a cross dissolve to a video bumper or something. But before I started doing video, I could be known to splice a take once in a while. But yeah, echoing the sentiment that it's just practice, as well as what I said earlier about certain mistakes being passable while others are lethal.

Or yeah you could just mix in Ableton, which essentially means you truly are just pressing 'play'.

Virgil Vox posted:

Although I assume most professional mix CDs were done that way in Pro Tools or whatever [pre Abelton].

The best mix CDs from the 90s were Brothers Gonna Work It Out and The Dirtchamber Sessions, both of which were done with the crazy level of meticulous attention to detail that only the Chemical Brothers and Liam Howlett had back then. Near as I can tell, they were both effectively making Ableton sets more than a decade before the software even existed, with all of their hardware samplers and computers. Seriously, go check out some of those 'Prodigy song recreated' videos on YouTube; it's impressive enough that they're able to pick out all the right samples and process them in Ableton, imagine Liam doing the same thing in 1998 with an SP1200 and a copy of Acid.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What do y'all think of this? First time in a decade that I've uploaded anything but a DJ mix to my channel, but some folks were asking how the setup works so I figured I'd break it down. It's kinda corny and I kinda hate it but if it's not that dumb I'll make it public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk6rBYQ0Qkc

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
So I'm totally new to music making. What are some best practices for creating short loops that actually loop properly? I've I think figured out that you should be hitting the kick at the very start of the first bar but I usually don't make something that sounds totally cohesive once it starts looping (I am playing by hand on a drum pad not laying out notes)

Costco Meatballs fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 17, 2022

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Nearly all electronic music is in 4/4

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hi. I used to do a lot of livingroom turntable mixing in the late 90s and early 2000s. As I play more and more with MAKING music I'm slowly starting to feel the itch to just sit around with a crate of ... well, MP3s now, I guess ... and donk tracks together for fun.

Coming from pure turntables and a two channel EQ mixer it looks like I have so many more options to look at these days. I googled for the hotness right now and I guess with inflation it's the same eye-popping feeling I got looking at 1200s back in the day, so yeah no surprise there, but I'm pretty certain I don't need top of the line CDJs to just spin music in my home office or maybe at a party down the road or something.

I guess I should probably go youtube the workflow since we went digital next. I don't know if they were NEW back in, let's say 2002 or 2003, but I do remember encoded records that would let you control DJ software being on the scene. I don't think I ever really tried it since I remember it being expensive, so to me the whole concept of digital cueing and beat/waveform visualization is kind of foreign still. Kind of exciting though, since I'm almost certain to have lost whatever muscle memory I had so any conveniences are probably welcome.

Anyway, I'm eyeing somethig to maybe get me back in.

Thinking critically my hitlist is probably:

- nice jogwheels since the tactile feel of the turntable was always what I enjoyed most about the whole thing. Followed by,
- nice feeling faders.

Things I think I'd like are :

- four channel inputs since I have a ton of stuff I can feed in now other than two decks, if I want.

Things I don't really think I care about but maybe I should think through more are:

- size. I don't think I'll ever gig, and realistically if I do play out it'll be infrequent. That is to say, I don't care if it's huge. And,
- price. I know I'm basically "new" again so I should be looking at budget stuff, but I do have some prior tactile experience so I don't think I'd really have a good time on something that feels cheap or small. And I guess it sounds like some kind of weird humblebrag but while I'm not looking to blow fat stacks on like a brand new CDJ setup I'm also not opposed to spending money. If I can get something reliable that feels nice and facilitates a good workflow for $2k CDN all-in then I'll be happy to do that.

So I think I'm kind of eyeing three, all Pioneer, probably all used, in no particular order:

- DDJ-FLX6
- DDJ-1000
- XDJ-RR

I threw the last one in because I kind of like the standalone aspect, but I doubt I'd ever find myself in a situation where taking a laptop with a controller would be any more burden than just taking a standalone system. OTOH, a standalone system gives me the option I guess. I think of all those the DDJ-1000 line has the biggest jog wheels but maybe I misread that.

I feel like I babbled a lot. I'll be thinking about it for the next few days for sure so curious to hear if anyone has any immediate feedback on anything I said.

e: My fav genres to mix were progressive trance, jungle/d&b, and whatever ambient/chillout fits into these days. Never really caught onto house and I'm not a huge fan of today's EDM so tbh I wouldn't be surprised if this is ends up in me just reliving my childhood music :lol:

Mister Speaker posted:

What do y'all think of this? First time in a decade that I've uploaded anything but a DJ mix to my channel, but some folks were asking how the setup works so I figured I'd break it down. It's kinda corny and I kinda hate it but if it's not that dumb I'll make it public.

I am absolutely a sucker for studio tours from talent I enjoy. Two thumbs up.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 23, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You've obviously done bare research and sorted out probably the largest choice: laptop vs. standalone. Here I'll just say that I love my XDJ-RX2, and never ever want to go back to staring at a bright laptop screen. Biggest reason? People don't see one, they don't request stupid poo poo. If I had waited a little bit longer I would 100% have bought one of the units with the full-size platters - although the smaller ones are weighted and workable for the subtle grid adjustments I need them, I'm so used to my CDJs at home that it takes a few minutes to get used to the smaller ones when I'm gigging out. Don't get anything less than full-length pitch faders though. You can get used to the size of some of these standalone units; the last time I took a controller anywhere was a first-gen Traktor S4 and it only took me about two gigs with the RX2 to go "ah it's not that bad." I'm pretty strong though.

As for "four channel inputs," I think in the options you gave, the DDJ-1000 is the only one that actually has this. I get that you want this with your hardware samplers and gear. As an aside, I've been having dreams about doing something live again, with an Erica Synths TechnoSystem and a couple of Pioneer DJS-1000s (and I mean it this time). You know I'm the 'go big or go home' type, but it usually ends up being 'go home'. :smith: The new Pioneer DJM-V10 looks like an absolute dream for live synth/sampler setups. Someday we'll all be richer than astronauts.

Back to the point, yeah I think the DDJ-1000 is your best fit. If you're cool with a laptop, need four channel inputs for doing live stuff, and could stand to save a few dollars, it fits.

Alternatively, you could buy my 1200s and Traktor Audio10 and find a mixer for cheap.....

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

The Numark NS4FX is a worth a look. I've spent some time behind the Platinum FX and I really liked on jog BPM display. Only 6 inch jogs, but if you can get past that it's a great budget option. If you really want to spend more the Pioneer stuff is for sure nice.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good words, thanks gang.

I’m not going to die on the 4 channel hill, and I’d give that up before I gave up nice feeling platters to be sure. I think I should probably go to long-mcquade and maybe see if they have something I can actually touch. I also think the 1000 is probably my top spot, but it probably tops out at my price range (new) so I’d definitely want to get hands on with it before I decide.

Kijiji in my (our?) area has a suspiciously affordable XDJ 1000/mixer setup that I’ve kind of been idly youtubing over the past day or so. Not CDJs but wonder how that would compare, and probably around the same price as what I’d pay for a new setup retail. But sketch.

I’ve also been looking at alternate brands but somehow I think I’m just falling back into Pioneer. I don’t think it’s rational since the options are so vast, but I’m falling into the “no one ever got fired for buying IBM” mentality, in the sense that the community around Pioneer seems to be huge and they’re just kind of the club standard so a lot of tutorials/writeups/discussions that aren’t high level theory seem to tip toward that particular brand. BUT I mean I’ve been looking at all options.

I think I’ll spend the next few days just seeing if I can get an understanding of rekordbox and serato and see if I have any idea which I might prefer, though I imagine in the end it’ll just be A/B and at my novice level it really won’t matter much.

I’m trying to hold off as long as possible before spending any money right now. I’ve been meaning to make this post for a month now, seeing if my initial impulse was just one of those “instant gratification” new hobby endorphin releases that would fade if I didn’t think about it, but I keep finding myself watching more mixing stuff on youtube, reading about it, etc. I guess if I get an expensive deck setup and it collects dust six months from now then shame on me, but I’m hoping that my interest remains genuine. Worst case I guess I can always reverb it if it doesn’t fit so I’m not going to overanalyze it :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 23, 2022

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Do you still have your decks? Then DVS would be the best option IMO. Look for a used DJMSRT900 (pricing on these looks all over the place tho) or a Mixars QUATTRO or Reloop RMX90 or a A&H Xone:43C all have Serato integration and 4 channels. I can't speak for Rekordbox DVS but Serato is rock solid and a great experience if your familiar with records, I even still use absolute mode. It will work flawlessly on a bare bones machine too (possibly; except for stems and effects). The big Pioneer platters are fine and work well but they are not like cueing a record if that's very important [I've been itching to try the Rane Twelves].

I don't know why they killed off the dedicated boxes those are the only way to use dvs with ancient or really any mixer.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

What do y'all think of this?

So are you running the CDJs through rekordbox on your desktop computer? Is it exactly like USB sticks where you can search, tag and go through playlists, or rather I guess I'm asking, do all functions of the unit work exactly the same as running sticks? Is it connected to the computer with USB or are they all on a ethernet switch? Cool, thank you!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Virgil Vox posted:

So are you running the CDJs through rekordbox on your desktop computer? Is it exactly like USB sticks where you can search, tag and go through playlists, or rather I guess I'm asking, do all functions of the unit work exactly the same as running sticks? Is it connected to the computer with USB or are they all on a ethernet switch? Cool, thank you!

Knew I forgot something. Yep, the CAT5 switch that the CDJs/DJM are connected to is also connected to the spare Ethernet port on my Mac tower. Hit the LINK button in the bottom of the Rekordbox window and the Rekordbox button on the CDJs (only the Nexus models have this button) and yeah, it functions just like plugging in a stick.

I THINK a while back they did release a firmware update for legacy CDJ2000s that will give them the same functionality - I vaguely remember being able to use my older ones with Rekordbox.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Ok nice, that must be what the computer CAT5 was for on the DJM2000NXS built in hub. I've only used rekordbox to prepare sticks. This isn't necessarily important but I like to fully understand DJ equipment: does the file (mp3/wav/whatever) actually transfer to the player so that the player does all the processing to it (pitch/scratching/looping)? My recollection of the older HID mode is that the CDJ only acted like a controller; just telling the laptop what to do, say a +4% pitch, the laptop actually did the processing. Also is the load time any different than with a USB stick? Can you do a secondary sort like in serato (I would very much like a combination of sorting by date added and then key)? Thanks again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sold the decks a while back unfortunately or I think that would be something I’d try. I have a single deck but I wouldn’t trust it to have enough torque to cue properly enough to get a second.

The more I think it through the more I think I’ll look for a used 1000. I like the idea of a stand-alone but it’s probably worth sacrificing the stand-alone right now. Don’t be surprised if I change my mind next time I post.

I grabbed rekordbox and I think I can figure this out. Haven’t tried serato or traktor yet but I imagine the differences won’t be huge for a beginner so maybe I just pick a camp now.

Time to start finding all my old favourite tracks. iTunes has decimated me for collecting actual files yeesh.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I'm not 100% but I think that yes, the file actually loads to the deck instead of streaming from the computer. I don't have much to base this on other than Rekordbox doesn't seem to be bogging down my CPU much at all, and it definitely doesn't 'feel' the same way HID did back when I was using them with Traktor - all of the same functionality feels exactly the same as loading from a stick. It's something to look into.

I'd say it might be a bit faster to load tracks also, than loading from a stick.

No secondary sort from what I can tell, that would be really nice though because I've wanted to sort by exactly that; date added AND key for a while. I think that it sorts by given field and then track # in playlist by default, but again I'm not totally sure. If that's the case, the workaround is to sort by one field and then right-click and 'renumber track order' so that field becomes your ordered playlist.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 24, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You can DJ basically anything, right? Like if I wanted to DJ industrial or synthwave or chiptune or oldass funk or something? I know I can DJ acid and jungle/DnB, I might okay around with that too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just match a beat and mood and it’s just putting two tracks together at a time in as fun a way as you want, from my prior experience :)

I think certain genres are EASIER than others but yeah, you can do anything you want :)

Catch me mixing baroque chamber music next week at the Toronto opera house.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Pollyanna posted:

You can DJ basically anything, right? Like if I wanted to DJ industrial or synthwave or chiptune or oldass funk or something? I know I can DJ acid and jungle/DnB, I might okay around with that too.

Yes yes you can. You set the tone so play whatever you want. Hell I gotten booked in other cities to play gospel funk records.

Playing out is harder, basically you as the dj are there to sell drinks. So sure play what you want but if you don’t make the venue money you are probably not getting booked again.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah I ain’t playing for money or anything, I just think it looks fun! Maybe I’ll find some DJ software and learn how.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You can dj literally any audio you want. Beatmatching isn't even necessary; most bar DJs just fade tracks without worrying about tempos. Beatmatching and creating seamless mixes is really more of a nightclub thing/dance party thing.

That said, if you do want to beatmatch, it can be much more difficult with certain genres of music.

Almost all electronic music is locked to an unchanging tempo, which means your software will analyze it correctly and you don't have to worry (much) about drift once you've matched the tempo with another song.

A lot of pop and rock music these days is also recorded "to a click" and heavily edited to stay on-beat, which for all intents and purposes is the same thing as the above.

BUT you will find a lot of music that wasn't recorded to a click at all, instead relying on the rhythm section's sense of timing. As good a metronome as you might be as a drummer, this will certainly still have some fluctuation in tempo, and that's gonna make beatmatching really hard - not always impossible, but you're going to be doing a lot of platter adjustment. Some music that's recorded to a click even has these fluctuations built in to give it a more human feel or change the energy level by speeding up and slowing down.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My first memories of DJ mixes were “new wave” radio party sets in the early 90s every Saturday night and I remember the beatmatching or whatever being pretty haphazard but it still sounded fun as hell. I listened religiously.

I still love new wave party sets. They’re such comfort music.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I remember when I got (back) into electronic music and was playing some of my first gigs basically riding the coattails of the Bassmentality sound (hyper-aggressive Dubstep and House), I always tried here and there to mix in some metal. I ended up working a Lamb of God tune (I think it was Desolation) into some House set. I had to basically ride the platter forward the entire song until a sudden point when I had to do the opposite. It was one of the more stressful things I've done as a DJ, but very rewarding.

The neat thing is that when you're just listening to the song, you don't notice the tempo bend at all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Welp I guess I’ll play around a little with some tutorial DJ software when I get home. :v:

some kinda jackal posted:

My first memories of DJ mixes were “new wave” radio party sets in the early 90s every Saturday night and I remember the beatmatching or whatever being pretty haphazard but it still sounded fun as hell. I listened religiously.

I still love new wave party sets. They’re such comfort music.

https://youtu.be/9mKxQ26gdHw?t=7m46s

Okay yeah this is pretty dope. I can’t tell which track this is but I like it a lot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hm, used market by me is really thin for anything I’m actually interested in, and DDJ-1000 is out of stock online right now. Going to hang on for any boxing day sales and see if anyone is doing an “i upgraded” local sale, but I’ll probably put in a backorder for a DDJ-1000 if nothing pops up in the next week. Some shops show 1-2 week “available at distributor” and l&m shows March ETA so I guess we’ll see what the truth is.

And then there’s still this that I’m morbidly curious about :

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-ipod-mp3-player-other/markham-york-region/pioneer-dj-setup-djm-900-nexus-and-xdj-1000-pair/1644659922

Pollyanna posted:

Welp I guess I’ll play around a little with some tutorial DJ software when I get home. :v:

https://youtu.be/9mKxQ26gdHw?t=7m46s

Okay yeah this is pretty dope. I can’t tell which track this is but I like it a lot.

Hell yeah, that’s what I’m talking about :)

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
My first memories of DJing were just putting mixes from the radio on tape .. used to listen to stuff like this all day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B37SQ9PwRfQ

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK so I bought a DDJ-1000 in the end, but they are seemingly universally backordered through end of January. This gives me plenty of time to just kind of absorb youtube tutorials for a bit.

I went to a shop and while they didn’t have a 1K, they did have a CDJ (or XDJ, I don’t remember) setup and a DDJ-FLX6. I tried to be reasonable and spent most of my time with the FLX6 and it was fine, I think I could have been perfectly happy with it. But then I touched the CDJ jogs and tempo fader and I was like.. ok yeah, ugh.. if the DDJ-1k is as close to a CDJ jog/setup as you’ll get with a controller than this is worth waiting for.. for me, I mean. Completely subjective.

So I’m pretty excited, but also worried that Pioneer won’t actually have stock come late Jan as expected, but I guess that’s the tradeoff I get for wanting a nicer unit up front.

If something used comes up in the meantime I can always just cancel my order so no real damage done.

E: I will say this, I’m almost glad the XDJ/CDJs were exponentially more than the DDJ-1K. If they were like only $1k more I’m pretty sure I would have walked out with a three piece system I 100% do not need. But good god, they looked/felt nice ugh.

E2: Finally, years of hitting the like button on di.fm are going to pay off!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 27, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok I’m going to double post I guess because a big wall of text is just as annoying as two posts in a row.

I’m just killing time now while my stuff gets delayed or delivered so I’m trying to parse the Pioneer ecosystem. I think I have a handle on most of it but I’m not entirely sure why some of their mixers have ethernet link ports. Does the mixer actually make any intelligent use of bpm/sync/etc? I get linking decks together for sync/file sharing, and linking decks to a laptop for rekordbox, but the mixer has me kind of stumped.

And while I’m on it, some questions about CDJ workflow. Maybe a moot point if they’re linked, but when you’re playing at a club would you typically bring your set on two USBs, one for each deck? Would you split your set 50/50, or are club DJs not really that rigid and bring a ton of music in case the mood/crowd changes? I’m generally just curious how this works given I don’t really have club aspirations at all.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Pretty sure that's it, it's useful to keep the BPM value in the Effects section accurate (although the mixer has pretty good BPM detection anyway). I think it's also for features like Fader Start.