Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
You know those “heat from frozen” type of microwave meal? Are they they still ok to eat of you let them thaw out? It’s still sealed and has been refrigerated (also still in date) but it’s been thawed for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

How long is "ages" exactly?

I'd apply the same rules as to any cooked meat/dairy, counting down from when it was taken out of frost.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Fruits of the sea posted:

How long is "ages" exactly?

I'd apply the same rules as to any cooked meat/dairy, counting down from when it was taken out of frost.

Then I definitely won’t eat it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If your state has emissions inspections at private service places, and there is a nominal fee of $20 or something, is that typically all the places gets paid, or is there a back-channel payment also? Just seems so low compared to other mechanic charges.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

YggiDee posted:

Do colder temperatures affect phone batteries? I was worried my phone was dying but it might just be that it's cold AF out.

Edit: I've always heard about overheating problems but it never really occured to me that the reverse would be true.

Since batteries are just chemical reactions cooling them off can slow the reaction down and reduce the charge. But I don't know how much you'd notice unless you're leaving it out exposed for long periods of time, out of your pocket and not in a heated location

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Since batteries are just chemical reactions cooling them off can slow the reaction down and reduce the charge. But I don't know how much you'd notice unless you're leaving it out exposed for long periods of time, out of your pocket and not in a heated location

I've definitely had issue when it's like -20C (-4F) or colder. Especially when my phone was pretty old to begin with.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My favourite is taking my phone out in winter and the screen starts lagging and ghosting bc the liquid in the liquid crystal display has stopped cooperating

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

smackfu posted:

If your state has emissions inspections at private service places, and there is a nominal fee of $20 or something, is that typically all the places gets paid, or is there a back-channel payment also? Just seems so low compared to other mechanic charges.

Maybe it's different in your state, but here in WI, the mandatory emissions testing is free. Doesn't matter if I go to Jiffy Lube or Bob's Mechano-matic. I believe this is because the state pays the service center for the time it takes to do the inspection.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

lobsterminator posted:

I've definitely had issue when it's like -20C (-4F) or colder. Especially when my phone was pretty old to begin with.

Yeah it really doesn't take long for a phone to drop down to a really cold temperature. Used to have all sorts of shutdown issues just taking it out of my pocket to find a new podcast in like -30C. Got really used to just using siri and leaving it in an interior pocket.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

dupersaurus posted:

I don't have a car so my phone is usually exposed to the frigid Canadian air on my 30 minute commune to and from work.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Battery life going to hell in the cold is definitely a real thing. As a battery gets colder, the chemical reaction that makes the electricity slows down and, adding insult to injury, the battery's internal resistance increases. The colder it gets, the more energy is used up just pushing through that resistance.

On really cold days, you can minimize this issue by keeping your phone in a nice warm pocket that's close to your body as much as possible, instead of in your hand exposed to the freezing wind. This makes it harder to catch Pokemon or whatever, but hey, that's physics for you.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, it's annoying, but it's nice to know that it's not my phone dying.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah when I wake up camping my phone always thinks it's dead until it's been in my pocket for a bit

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Is the bobs burgers movie any good?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Extra row of tits posted:

Is the bobs burgers movie any good?

Yes. But I am biased as I love the show as well. If you don't like the show or musical numbers you may not be as into it.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
How hard is suet? Is it like a rock, or is it more like you can squeeze it with your fingers and it's slightly pliable?

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I haven't used suet before but I know that people use it as bird food, so it's definitely softer than a rock if bird beaks can tear into it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

How hard is suet? Is it like a rock, or is it more like you can squeeze it with your fingers and it's slightly pliable?

its crumbly-squishy, unless you compress it a bit, then it can get harder - kinda like steak fat pulled out of the fridge but at room temperature. It does vary based on which animal the suet is from though, some will be firmer, some more pliant, some more crumbly, etc.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

DildenAnders posted:

Is there anything nefarious about the app " TooGoodToGo"? It sounds awesome but I don't really understand how an app would make money from it, and I've become accustomed to seemingly "neat" apps being a shell for horrific abuse and/or unsavory surveillance.

From a while back but I just installed this app out of curiosity and it sent background tracking data over 400 times in five minutes

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Zil posted:

Yes. But I am biased as I love the show as well. If you don't like the show or musical numbers you may not be as into it.

I do like the show, and am a huge musical fan,.. but it would be nice if at least ONE movie based on animation wasn’t just 20 minutes of plot padded out by an hours worth of songs.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Bob's Burgers The Movie has like only 3 or 4 songs, so it's kind of the opposite problem.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed it. It’s like an extended, slightly better animated, episode. They didn’t go nuts trying to make the stakes extra high because it was a movie. I felt like it stayed within itself, which was welcome.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

DoctorWhat posted:

Bob's Burgers The Movie has like only 3 or 4 songs, so it's kind of the opposite problem.

Really? Yay!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe it's different in your state, but here in WI, the mandatory emissions testing is free. Doesn't matter if I go to Jiffy Lube or Bob's Mechano-matic. I believe this is because the state pays the service center for the time it takes to do the inspection.

Free at least makes it clearer what is happening, and I would prefer that. In Connecticut, it is $20, cash only.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a utility out there to extract text from .m3u/.m3u8 playlist files? Every time I make a new DJ mix I've been writing out the tracklist into an .rtf by hand and I'd like to save a little bit of time on that.

There is a workaround I can think of but it's clunky: Re-importing the playlist into Traktor from Rekordbox. Traktor allows you to spit out playlists as... .html files, I think, and you can extract the plain text from there. But for some reason Traktor takes ages to open on my machine, and I'd rather not end up with a convoluted mess of playlists in a software I only use for rapid track cataloguing anyway.

If there's a piece of software that can take the .m3u plists and turn them directly into text that'd be dope.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a utility out there to extract text from .m3u/.m3u8 playlist files? Every time I make a new DJ mix I've been writing out the tracklist into an .rtf by hand and I'd like to save a little bit of time on that.

There is a workaround I can think of but it's clunky: Re-importing the playlist into Traktor from Rekordbox. Traktor allows you to spit out playlists as... .html files, I think, and you can extract the plain text from there. But for some reason Traktor takes ages to open on my machine, and I'd rather not end up with a convoluted mess of playlists in a software I only use for rapid track cataloguing anyway.

If there's a piece of software that can take the .m3u plists and turn them directly into text that'd be dope.

It's been a really long time since I used a playlist file but aren't they plaintext files that are just a bunch of file paths under the hood? Like can't you open them directly in notepad++? Would that be sufficient?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What's a good way of finding new music other than pop?

I keep hearing the odd electronic or metal or hip-hop song in a resposted tweet or tiktok or whatever and thinking "hey this is actually really good". There's got to be a better way to find this stuff than the occasional meme though!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Killingyouguy! posted:

It's been a really long time since I used a playlist file but aren't they plaintext files that are just a bunch of file paths under the hood? Like can't you open them directly in notepad++? Would that be sufficient?

Interesting. I gave this a shot and this is what it looked like in TextEdit:

Looks the same in Excel, with the whole filepath for each song. When I try to open it in Word, it gives me options for different encoders, is this in the right direction?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I assume you're running on a mac there. If you're OK with the command line then this should do the trick. Obviously change the file names to be what is relevant.

code:
awk -F '/' '{print $NF}' <file name.m3u> > <track list.txt>

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hyperlynx posted:

I keep hearing the odd electronic or metal or hip-hop song in a resposted tweet or tiktok or whatever and thinking "hey this is actually really good". There's got to be a better way to find this stuff than the occasional meme though!

The recommendation thread over in NMD is a good place to get suggestions for stuff that sounds more like something you've heard.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

If you’re on Spotify you can type in whatever genre name and it will come up with playlists to browse

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Inceltown posted:

I assume you're running on a mac there. If you're OK with the command line then this should do the trick. Obviously change the file names to be what is relevant.

code:
awk -F '/' '{print $NF}' <file name.m3u> > <track list.txt>

Forgive me, I'm not very familiar with using Terminal. I can drag and drop the .m3u8 file into this prompt, right? Like, type up to '{print $NF}' then drop the file in so I don't have to type out its full path? And then just create a 'tracklist.txt' at the end of the prompt? I tried this and found the file it created - it removed the filepaths but there's still a lot of "#EXTINF:272" for example before the track names.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

What are you trying to get from the file? Do you want one / both of the following?
code:
Bowsar - 4A - Neurons
03 4A Neurons.mp3
Do you even want the 03 4A bits like in Neurons there or would one of the following work better?
code:
Bowsar - Neurons
Neurons.mp3
I have no idea if an actual programme exists to do this but it should be trivial to script and it sounds like you can make it work well enough on your end if I write you something. If you post an example file rather than just a screenshot I should be able to give you something when I get a second.

If you're just after the following then the code below it should work and save the text file to your desktop.
code:
03 4A Neurons.mp3
code:
cat <file name.m3u> | grep -vE '^#' | awk -F '/' '{print $NF}' > ~/Desktop/newfile.txt

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Inceltown posted:

Do you even want the 03 4A bits like in Neurons there or would one of the following work better?
code:
Bowsar - Neurons
Neurons.mp3

The first one is perfect! I'm only looking for 'ARTIST - TRACK TITLE' format as that's the way I've been writing them out by hand up to now. The '4A' etc. is Camelot Wheel notation for mixing harmonically, and so it's baked into the 'track title' field; if there's no way to remove this that's fine.

I tried going back into Traktor and spitting out the plist as .html, last time I was trying to do this I used some sort of HTML to CSV converter in order to post the plist here on SA and in a Reddit post. It mostly works, although as I said having to go back into Traktor is a mote irritating, and I still haven't found a way to turn these tables (lol) into plain text that retains its format.

Thanks for helping me out, means a lot.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hyperlynx posted:

Spotify and YouTube are both excellent at locating similar music, just find the song you liked then say 'make a radio station like this'. As you listen to it make sure to like the tracks you dig so you can find them again.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mister Speaker posted:

The first one is perfect! I'm only looking for 'ARTIST - TRACK TITLE' format as that's the way I've been writing them out by hand up to now. The '4A' etc. is Camelot Wheel notation for mixing harmonically, and so it's baked into the 'track title' field; if there's no way to remove this that's fine.

I tried going back into Traktor and spitting out the plist as .html, last time I was trying to do this I used some sort of HTML to CSV converter in order to post the plist here on SA and in a Reddit post. It mostly works, although as I said having to go back into Traktor is a mote irritating, and I still haven't found a way to turn these tables (lol) into plain text that retains its format.

Thanks for helping me out, means a lot.
If the data is as consistent as the sample in the image you posted, it's feasible like this

It makes quite a difference that you're ok with posting it as a list instead of a table.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Again forgive me, what part of that do I need to type in Terminal to extract the Artist/Title fields to plain text as shown?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
It looks like you guys are close to figuring it out but Winamp (remember Winamp?) has a button to convert playlists to HTML in this format:

1.Kleeer - Tonight (5:11)
2.Devin The Dude - Somebody Else's Wife (4:17)
3.Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker (4:44)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Winamp really did whip the llama'a rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah parsing the m3u file directly does require that all your mp3s are correctly titled in the filesystem, it doesn't pull from idv3 tags
which if Mr Speaker is a DJ then is probably not a concern but if you're the average limewire user it might not be

god drat what year is it in this thread