Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

For WW2 i’d take a gander at victrix new 12mm plastics too, they look pretty sweet on pics though I haven’t seen them in person.

Yeah, the Victrix models are almost nice enough to make you question the scale you've already chosen :v:

I've got so many 15mm WW2 models it would be ridiculous to start over in a completely different size.

......unless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Endman posted:

Yeah, the Victrix models are almost nice enough to make you question the scale you've already chosen :v:

I've got so many 15mm WW2 models it would be ridiculous to start over in a completely different size.

......unless?

The sets are a bit big for coc but if you could find someone to split with it'd be a nice alternative. But that goes for most 15mm and 1/72 sets as well.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I decided to order a few 20 mm Germans and paint them up, and see how it goes! Thanks for the advice, I’ll be using centimetres, time to review how chain of command actually works!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

I decided to order a few 20 mm Germans and paint them up, and see how it goes! Thanks for the advice, I’ll be using centimetres, time to review how chain of command actually works!

So, they should arrive before Xmas - hurrah! Lots of the sculpts are prone/semi-prone so I guess I'll need to figure out basing at a later date.

Is there a moderate (i.e. non-grog) consensus on CoC vs BA?
My current opponent is a fan, but a wargaming novice. We played Battletech with 4 mechs per side and I think he was generally OK with the game, but there was a good deal of me having to spoon feed him his options and the consequences of each - rather than him participating fully. As a result, despite my affection for CoC I'm wary about hitting him with a wall of tables and reference charts.

Honestly, I could probably live without the level of detail for everything and I'm happy to house-rule/handshake stuff, having to figure that out while introducing him to the game seems like it might be insurmountable, unless there's an easy checklist for a first game to ignore.

It seems that BA might be an easier system to teach and play, but ultimately less satisfying (for me) than CoC. We only get a chance for half a dozen games a year though, so if the goal is CoC I don't know if I'm working at cross purposes to start off with BA and then switch at a later date - particularly since I am driving the entire concept with figures, board, ruleset, etc.

Any thoughts?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

coc is good

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Speaking of CoC (as in Chain of Command you filthy degenerates), I remember seeing a PDF with collected recommended fan-made fixes, houserules and rule explanation posted in this thread a long while ago. Anyone got that on hand?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pierzak posted:

Speaking of CoC (as in Chain of Command you filthy degenerates), I remember seeing a PDF with collected recommended fan-made fixes, houserules and rule explanation posted in this thread a long while ago. Anyone got that on hand?

i have only the official errata

some of the rules aren't written very clearly, and for some special circumstances there aren't rules, and the rules are quite wonky in certain situations, but on the whole, they're fast and excellent and feel realistic

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Bolt Action is a much more finished wargame where you can just plug in whatever your two factions are and have a good time.

CoC will benefit from you having more of a conversation about the game and what kind of battle/story you want to replicate, or looking at their many many campaigns/books and going for that.

CoC will reward you engaging with it more seriously, but BA just lets you throw dice much, much faster. If your opponent isn't buying in equally as much as you, then CoC is going to be a bad time tbqh. Perhaps you can find a third friend and GM the game for them?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I want to take lardies hostage and make them released CoC2E, with actual editing, the 28 page FAQ and the Blitzkrieg morale rules rolled in.

Anecdotally, some corners of grogdom seem extremely hostile to idea of a new edition. I make a half serious comment about it on Battlegroup FB and even the official creators were "NO SECOND EDITION, MAYBE UPDATE AND FIXED RULEBOOK" and I'm like, drat, shorty, that would be enough of a second edition for me.

Did 40K bite them at some point? Because a lot of grogs seem to be afraid of 2E invalidating all their army book and all that, when even 40K doesn't really do that.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

i have only the official errata

some of the rules aren't written very clearly, and for some special circumstances there aren't rules, and the rules are quite wonky in certain situations, but on the whole, they're fast and excellent and feel realistic

I’m thinking primarily of the crunchy minutiae like rolling 2 dice and picking higher vs lower toll depending on whether obstacle is above or below figure eyeline, tables for injuries and tracking command initiatives for junior leaders which impact force morale, the need for Jo off points to be placed in the back of a cross delineated by nearest adjacent enemy patrol markers but behind cover too, etc. - lots of fiddly bits which I feel could be “sensible agreement” rather than bloodthirsty tournament rules lawyering.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Southern Heel posted:

I’m thinking primarily of the crunchy minutiae like rolling 2 dice and picking higher vs lower toll depending on whether obstacle is above or below figure eyeline, tables for injuries and tracking command initiatives for junior leaders which impact force morale, the need for Jo off points to be placed in the back of a cross delineated by nearest adjacent enemy patrol markers but behind cover too, etc. - lots of fiddly bits which I feel could be “sensible agreement” rather than bloodthirsty tournament rules lawyering.

after bad experiences with warhammer, i've never played in tournaments, only with friends

miniature games weren't meant to be played competitively

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I haven't played CoC yet (but am planning on it soon!) but I've taught a lot of people BA and its pretty easy to grasp. I think it helps that there are only six actions a unit can take and they're written right there on the order dice.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

We played Battletech with 4 mechs per side and I think he was generally OK with the game, but there was a good deal of me having to spoon feed him his options and the consequences of each - rather than him participating fully.
Give him a whirl with Memoir '44 and see how he finds that first maybe?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

Did 40K bite them at some point?
Probably several times before they quit.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

bloodthirsty tournament rules lawyering.

I would absolutely love it if someone gave CoC a pass with "bloodthirsty tournament rules" in mind, at least with regards to clarity and eradication of natural language. I absolutely do not want engage in game development when playing a game, especially if I only do it rarely and all the house rules will have been forgotten.

Some people find it a funny statement, but I found BA a lot easier to remember and play. It is, however, not a very """realistic""" game. Sorta like playing Company of Heroes vs. Combat Mission.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Speaking of CoC (as in Chain of Command you filthy degenerates)

Ah, yes, those drat Call of Cthulhu players, getting up to degenerate things like SAN loss and Idea rolls. :v:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

JcDent posted:

I would absolutely love it if someone gave CoC a pass with "bloodthirsty tournament rules" in mind, at least with regards to clarity and eradication of natural language. I absolutely do not want engage in game development when playing a game, especially if I only do it rarely and all the house rules will have been forgotten.

I just ran into a good example of this while reading the Through the Mud and the Blood rulebook. They have a whole section labelled "Rolling Barrage" where they lay out the rules for what it is and how it works, and then proceed to refer to it as a "Creeping Barrage" in the rest of the rulebook.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's an unfortunate case of failing to grok that the things are synonymous, defining the rule as "Thing A/Thing B/Thing C" and then "all the above are synonymous, and henceforth referred to as <Thing X>, however some players may use other terms in practice".

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I think the obstinance is just an age thing. There's plenty of game designers, even historical ones, who have no problem going back in cleaning up or rectifying their stuff. Of course if they just did it right the first time this wouldn't be an issue which is why Sam Mustafa is the gold standard in layout design. He's working on a naval game now and I'm very interested in whatever his take on ww2 fleet actions are going to be.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I guess my point is that I acknowledge that CoC is better, but I’m worried about scaring him off: I would rather play BA and it be less than perfect but something we can do reliably. The consensus does appear to be that BA is lighter and easier - and having hooked the fish, we could pivot to CoC at a later date rather than risk trying that and putting him off entirely.

He has at least bought in on his own force of Soviets so that’s at least some commitment!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 16, 2022

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
BA feels a bit 40k-y, so if you want familiarity go that way. CoC produces way more anecdotes about dumb/funny/cool poo poo that happened, though, and the battles always feel more like stories.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I find that it’s the scenario design that matters a lot more than the rule set when it comes to memorable moments. The reason that Bolt Action is worse at that is probably because it’s a lot easier to just set up a pick-up game where you’re just bashing two armies together and people don’t feel compelled to do anything more than that. Sometimes it’s just too easy to play a game in its most boring incarnation.

I don’t even like Chain of Command all that much, but it forces you to make more interesting scenarios happen straight from the outset with the patrol phase, and if you add in a pint-sized campaign you’ll end up with some interesting scenarios on top of that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I just wish the Ladies cared about Sharp Practice as much as CoC. It seems like all they care about is fuckin Arnhem.

Endman
May 18, 2010

With TFL you get whatever suits their current hobby whims.

Rich has been on a WW2 Burma trip lately, so that's what you're getting!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

alg posted:

I just wish the Ladies cared about Sharp Practice as much as CoC. It seems like all they care about is fuckin Arnhem.
Sorry, Arnhem is just objectively The Best Fight :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

alg posted:

Ladies love the CoC, am I right?

(Sorry, I had to capitalize on your typo.)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

To show I'm not all mouth - here's the progress on my 3mm 1808 Austrians:

I need to sort out some grenzers and and jagers for a DBN force - but it's all gone well. The left hand painted base is green painted chinchilla dust and the right is flock - I think I prefer the left. I'm less excited about the cavalry, they look very 'forced' :(

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 17, 2022

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Maybe not having them in orderly ranks would help?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

JcDent posted:

Maybe not having them in orderly ranks would help?

Yeah forming them up more like they are riding ”boot to boot” is more accurate (and looks cooler). cavalry would look more like wavy lines riding quite close to each other, until they’d turn into more of a swarm/clusterfuck the last couple of dozen yards on the charge.

It’s fiddly but you could cut up the bases and form them up closer in width but less even in depth.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 17, 2022

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I guess i could insert a row between each staggered slightly to make them closer ordered and vary the frontage. Sigh - more horsies!

Endman
May 18, 2010

I've been painting Panzer IVs:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks for the tips, chaps - i need to fill out the missing columns but this loks alot better already:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Been building some VDV for my TY and the vehicle kits are lovely so far. Are they alternatives for the infantry anyone knows of? I'm being a bit judgy maybe but the infantry have some real bonk faces.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Need a bit of advice here- I'm working on objective markers for Saga using livestock and shepherds, I can fit a couple onto a base but so far my usual process for metals with the cast on base is to glue to base, apply basing material, then prime and paint; and it looks to be kind of a pain to do that with multiple models on a base

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Need a bit of advice here- I'm working on objective markers for Saga using livestock and shepherds, I can fit a couple onto a base but so far my usual process for metals with the cast on base is to glue to base, apply basing material, then prime and paint; and it looks to be kind of a pain to do that with multiple models on a base

Stick to coffee stirrer in a straight line, paint, then snap off and glue to real base

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Flipswitch posted:

Been building some VDV for my TY and the vehicle kits are lovely so far. Are they alternatives for the infantry anyone knows of? I'm being a bit judgy maybe but the infantry have some real bonk faces.

The Plastic Soldier Company might be what you’re looking for.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
If you've got a 3d printer Turner Miniatures just did a line of VDV.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks both. I'll check the prints first but that PSC box looks very good.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Southern Heel posted:

This is weird to me, because I feel like BA has more fiddly tables than CoC. BA certainly has more fiddly modifiers to all its rolls. Once you grasp the core mechanics of CoC (the Patrol Phase, the Command Dice, and the "Bad Things Happen" roll), it is a remarkably easy game to play. I've taught lots of people at both my regular gaming group and at conventions and people seem to pick it up very quickly. Except for like one crusty old guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of people struggle more with knowing what they need to bring to the table than they do with what happens when you already have things on the table. I spent several consecutive days last month explaining BattleTech force generation to someone who just could not grok that it's not like a FFG/Atomic Mass Star Wars game and there is no "standard" game size. The phrase "you agree a number and pick units until your points hit that number" was uttered at least daily.