Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I'm guessing Dad interlude.

Edit: Sorry for the lousy snipe. New page is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be down for cutting from

nimby posted:

Roy comes face to face with Xykon on his own
to

nimby posted:

and we cut to Roy in the afterlife again.

with Roy in mid-sentence and mid-step from one panel to the next. Xykon and the gang look surprised for a sec and then Roy is in Heaven getting glared at by his dad. Two panels, no dialog! Keep that pace and we're done by April.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

XkyRauh posted:

I'm guessing Dad interlude.

Edit: Sorry for the lousy snipe. New page is here.

Yeah, that's my guess as well. Or maybe his sister will contact him with some last minute information or advice or something.

Feels like a good time for one last family chat before things go crazy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Also like remember that these strips iirc pacing wise are aimed to be read in the books? So if it seems slow now its a sacrifice for the final artistic work to be at its best.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Belkar turned over a bitter leaf.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

Also like remember that these strips iirc pacing wise are aimed to be read in the books? So if it seems slow now its a sacrifice for the final artistic work to be at its best.

Yeah in past most of the times we've complained about slow times it's read well-paced when you read the whole thing at once.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

It feels like the bit with Serini dodging questions about mimic adhesive will be relevant.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Parahexavoctal posted:

It feels like the bit with Serini dodging questions about mimic adhesive will be relevant.

Now that you point that out, it's awfully conspicuous how nonchalant she is in the first panel.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
A new page? It's a Christmas miracle! - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1272.html

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Roy's losing it! :ohdear:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
That's some great sibling banter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah, that's my guess as well. Or maybe his sister will contact him with some last minute information or advice or something.

Feels like a good time for one last family chat before things go crazy.
gj wd

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Lampshaded slow pacing is still slow pacing. Hopefully there's some actual development next strip.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Well, at least the story progressed instead of another page of a dangerous creature stuck to the intellectual level of a four year old playing with Sunny.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Silver2195 posted:

Lampshaded slow pacing is still slow pacing. Hopefully there's some actual development next strip.

Last time we got a page like this was Elan talking thinking to himself, and the story did jump ahead pretty quick the very next page.

I suspect we'll find out soon that Serini and her allies aren't the only creatures lurking in the back-tunnels.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Silver2195 posted:

I hope there isn't

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

I hope there isn't

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I liked the low-key mutual respect between Bloodfeast The Extreme-inator and Roy.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

splitting off one character and having him specifically mention how he didn't have any of the soup everyone else is eating seems like it could be important

trying to grade single pages in "plot development" is incredibly useless, because literally every single movement of a character is possible plot development! you just can't see it yet!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

studio mujahideen posted:

splitting off one character and having him specifically mention how he didn't have any of the soup everyone else is eating seems like it could be important

... remind me what happened to Serini's cauldron of amnesia potion?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Parahexavoctal posted:

Was spilled, but she claimed that the cleaning wand would be enough to ensure no lingering effects.

It could be the case there's a setup for something here, like "Elan was tasked with cleaning the couldron as V refused but he forgot" OOPS.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Parahexavoctal posted:

I can't remember either.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I can't remember either.

:dadjoke:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I can't remember either.

Probably wasn’t important anyway.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I hope Rich is ok :ohdear:

Not least because I could see him being significantly affected by the new OGL, if he considers it will require him to hand over a permanent license to wotc for all of oots.

Legally this would be nonsensical, as the original license explicitly excluded future licenses from being able to revoke the terms of the original one, but rich has his own way of thinking and is nothing if not a stickler for doing things right.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I hadn't even considered that, drat.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

sebmojo posted:

I hope Rich is ok :ohdear:

Not least because I could see him being significantly affected by the new OGL, if he considers it will require him to hand over a permanent license to wotc for all of oots.

Legally this would be nonsensical, as the original license explicitly excluded future licenses from being able to revoke the terms of the original one, but rich has his own way if thinking.

Does OotS even use/care about the OGL? I’m fairly certain it has always ignored any copyright issues by virtue of being a parody...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

He considers himself to be publishing under the OGL, I believe, the alternative would be fan content which doesn't allow revenue. Parody would be a fall back defence at best.

E: actually there's a fair bit of nonsense being talked about the leaked license, it's worth going to the actual doc rather than trusting what people say about it.

That said my read as a (non-US) lawyer is that he would need the OGL commercial license and would be liable for 25% of annual revenue over $750k, though as I am sure he doesn't make that much it might not affect him financially.

The permanent license for wotc to use his stuff is possibly just poor drafting, as it looks intended to cover simultaneous creation, e.g. if you release a product covering the same stuff as them rather than a sweeping "what's yours is ours" clause.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sebmojo posted:

He considers himself to be publishing under the OGL, I believe, the alternative would be fan content which doesn't allow revenue. Parody would be a fall back defence at best.

E: actually there's a fair bit of nonsense being talked about the leaked license, it's worth going to the actual doc rather than trusting what people say about it.

That said my read as a (non-US) lawyer is that he would need the OGL commercial license and would be liable for 25% of annual revenue over $750k, though as I am sure he doesn't make that much it might not affect him financially.

The permanent license for wotc to use his stuff is possibly just poor drafting, as it looks intended to cover simultaneous creation, e.g. if you release a product covering the same stuff as them rather than a sweeping "what's yours is ours" clause.

Contracts can't be unilaterally replaced; Rich would have to agree to the new license, which presumably he wouldn't. And in that case, he could continue to publish under the existing one. He couldn't use any material based on 6th edition, but considering the Order are still based on 3rd it seems unlikely that he'd trip on that.

Of course, just because he's legally and morally in the right doesn't mean that he wouldn't have to go to court to prove that and that's its own nightmare.

BTW, gently caress WotC for pulling that bullshit. If they were just pulling the OGL it would be one thing: people making material around D&D would have to stick to earlier versions with the license which would be annoying for everyone but that's a risk when you tie your fortunes to a commercial product you have no control over. But this yanking licenses that people made products with based on that contract and replacing it with one that's total dogshit is one of the shittiest moves I've seen in a long
time. I suspect the backlash is going to make them change course, probably to pulling the OGL altogether, but it's still awful that they even floated it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Podcasters were making too much money and they weren't getting a cut off those sweet sweet patreons! Enough money to earn up to a middle class level of income in rare cases!!!!!!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's a license not a contract, there's no consideration; wotc said 'you may have permission to do xyz if you also do abc', as opposed to 'we give you xyz in exchange for abc'.

I believe podcasters and streamers aren't affected, it's print and pdf (so would cover rich).

But yeah wotc are claiming to 'de-authorize' the old OGL, which is a very questionable legal move.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

That's not going to happen - for one thing Pazio will be fighting it tooth and nail. While this new licence will apply to whatever they are doing with 6e, it's not retrospective and going to suddenly affect OOTS.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If Rich is bound by the OGL, why wouldn't a steamer running an adventure with 100% D&D content also be bound?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

The X-man cometh posted:

If Rich is bound by the OGL, why wouldn't a steamer running an adventure with 100% D&D content also be bound?

boats are under maritime law

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was my impression, from discourse, that this was probably because they wanted some of that streamer cash. Ah least that's the impression I got from my friend who may be the world's top academic expert on live rpgs

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The X-man cometh posted:

Because it covers new print and pdf work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sebmojo posted:

But yeah wotc are claiming to 'de-authorize' the old OGL, which is a very questionable legal move.
What's obviously happening is that Hasbro is leaning on WotC to meet unreasonable profit goals and they're pulling every trick they know to try and get there. You can see it with what's been happening with MtG, with every other set being licensed, the cut back on event and prize support, and all sorts of rumors about what's going on behind the scenes.

Honestly, my personal guess is that WotC will be either liquidated/cut apart, or sold off to a different owner before 2025. MtG is too entrenched to die even under this mismanagement, but D&D's been scrabbling for smaller and smaller pieces of the pie and mostly getting by on name recognition for years.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It was my impression, from discourse, that this was probably because they wanted some of that streamer cash. Ah least that's the impression I got from my friend who may be the world's top academic expert on live rpgs

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Because it covers new print and pdf work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Also VTTs and digital subscription income; they're wanting to roll out their own VTT and there's a fair bit of competition in that space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Raenir Salazar posted:

Also VTTs and digital subscription income; they're wanting to roll out their own VTT and there's a fair bit of competition in that space.

It applies to pdfs and printed rpg and supporting materials. It is clear about that, unless I'm reading it wrong. Not VTTs.

the OGL 1.1 leak posted:

B. Works Covered
This license only applies to materials You create for use in or as roleplaying games and as game supplements and only as
printed media and static electronic files such as epubs or pdfs. It does not allow the distribution of any other form of
media. And does not apply to creation of anything else.

Rich actually doesn't fall under that either, though I don't know if that means he is only left with parody.

E: ah I see the issue, the new license scissors out everything that's not an rpg pdf or printed book, so it falls back to regular copyright rather than being covered by the much broader 1.0. That's fairly huge, yep, and could affect both VTTs and parody web comics :ohdear: