Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Guys be nice. His Mother told him he was not allowed to put a plastic bag on his head to cosplay a Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

SC cosplay is always hilarious, it’s the result of game dads with very little imagination or creativity trying to make costumes based only on concept art and promo videos.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
Taxxe:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Thoatse posted:

lmao this was probably one of those kids that thought his Ben Cooper halloween costume his mom picked up at the grocery store was pretty sweet

this is obviously to intercept the inevitable "And what are you supposed to be?" Lady, it's self explanatory

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

colonelwest posted:

SC cosplay is always hilarious, it’s the result of game dads with very little imagination or creativity trying to make costumes based only on concept art and promo videos.

The issue is always: what is a star citizen outfit?

There's nothing you can point at in terms of clothing or design and confidently say "oh yeah, that's from Star Citizen right?" because it's all just generic spacey-type stuff.
To be honest I think the plastic shopping bag helmet is their first true Star Citizen design because I know if I saw that I would immediately think of SC.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Fidelitious posted:

To be honest I think the plastic shopping bag helmet is their first true Star Citizen design because I know if I saw that I would immediately think of SC.

Shopping bag helmet will always remain as one of the best things ever from SC, so iconic, and the best cosplay ever.

Wonder if bagman is still alive nowadays, he was pretty old in 2019 and, judging by his arm, a stroke survivor as well...here's hoping he's well and keeping the dream alive.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Wonder if bagman is still alive nowadays, he was pretty old in 2019 and, judging by his arm, a stroke survivor as well...here's hoping he's well and keeping the dream alive.

I assume not if he kept that plastic bag on his head this whole time.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Watch out guys, we got a badass over here!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah, okay, I did 4 years in the military so I know guns, so piss off with your critiques!

"You were in the Air Force"

As an HR clerk, I might add!

:dogout:

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah, okay, I did 4 years in the military so I know guns, so piss off with your critiques!

More like Ewan McGregor's character in "Blackhawk Down," the one that turned out to be a pederast.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Viscous Soda posted:

So Stable Diffusion has released a public AI image generator and it's much more likely to overcome the "Grey wedge of spaceship over a planet" that Craiyon cannot seem to. From the prompt "A Star Citizen screenshot featuring a bear on piles of cash" we get:

Haha, that is one of the best expressions of Star Citizenness I have seen in a while!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Star Citizen is like Wing Commander, but with Gun's and Sword's

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

You had one job CIG! posted:

well more than one but this you failed big!

the Sextant should have been on day 6 (SIX)!
https://www.indifferentlanguages.com/words/six
https://www.britannica.com/technology/sextant-instrument

for the dense people of the spectrum, this is a joke.

quote:

It's a SEXtant, not a SIXtant

quote:

And this is why kids should study Latin at school…

quote:

why study a dead language...

Latin is now considered a dead language, meaning it's still used in specific contexts, but does not have any native speakers. (Sanskrit is another dead language.) In historical terms, Latin didn't die so much as it changed -- into French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian

quote:

Maybe so we can determine how things have been named, and realize that the SEX in sextant means six.

quote:

sure, let me find the Egyptian hieroglyphic that predates Latin, so u can figure out what symbol to chisel so u can understand why something has the name today....

quote:

Just admit you were wrong, swallow your pride and move on.

It's ok to be wrong, which you were. No reason to throw history out of the window because you rather be uneducated.

quote:

Once you can prove that there isn't a language that predates Latin. Until then your losing your own argument.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lol I love those types. In the Air Force, unless you’re security forces or special forces you’ll never even touch a firearm outside of basic training.

If you were a desk jockey just own it, it’s a much better life than all of the “cool guy” military jobs. I was an intelligence analyst in the Army, and even though I can guarantee that I did more shooting than that guy, I would never call myself a weapons expert.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Wow, some citizens are so racist they even hate dead languages. :eng99:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

colonelwest posted:

Lol I love those types. In the Air Force, unless you’re security forces or special forces you’ll never even touch a firearm outside of basic training.

If you were a desk jockey just own it, it’s a much better life than all of the “cool guy” military jobs. I was an intelligence analyst in the Army, and even though I can guarantee that I did more shooting than that guy, I would never call myself a weapons expert.

I'll have you know my best mate was in the Marines and had two tours with the SEALS and the special forces training he did in Germany and Italy and is marksmanship rated on over 75 different weapon platforms!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
If he was capable of admitting he was wrong, he'd never be a legatus-level backer. You have to be a special kind of person to give at least $25k to CIG and to think that sextant is derived from the word sex.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Still working on the gunplay in Star Citizen?

That would explain why Star Marine is such a living product get big updates and lettle tweaks all the time and evolving in to a true AAA level first person shooter experience.

It's quite amazing how far Star Marine has come, so quickly, since CIG took back over it's development in house.

Look at how many games COD has had to release just to have a chance of being at the same level as Star Marine.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dwesa posted:

If he was capable of admitting he was wrong, he'd never be a legatus-level backer. You have to be a special kind of person to give at least $25k to CIG and to think that sextant is derived from the word sex.

Stay tuned for when they next discuss the origins and meaning of the word "deviant".

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG did a year in review video where they looked back at all the amazing things they've accomplished. It's pretty dire.

Also Jared claims 800+ employees.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Kosumo posted:

Stay tuned for when they next discuss the origins and meaning of the word "deviant".

idiot

noun
a stupid person.
"I feel like an idiot who swallowed every lie I was told"
"I feel like an idiot for spending $25K on Star Citizen"

ARCHAIC
a person of low intelligence.
"he entered their employ and learnt their secrets by pretending to be an idiot"
"thou must verily be an idiot forsooth for spending ye 25K groats on Star Citizen"

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Popete posted:

CIG did a year in review video where they looked back at all the amazing things they've accomplished. It's pretty dire.

Also Jared claims 800+ employees.

Thank you for watching it. I saw it pop up on YouTube but I couldn't stomach it - does that mean that CIG has won?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Thank you for watching it. I saw it pop up on YouTube but I couldn't stomach it - does that mean that CIG has won?

Admittedly I skimmed it only because backers on Spectrum have a thread about how CIG shouldn't be taking credit for 3.18 in their Year In Review video when it will not actually be out this year lol

The first like 3 minutes they actually talk about stuff they released this year which was very minimal and then it's just taking credit for player driven events and how succesfull their Bar Citizen World Tour was.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny Shiloh posted:

They spend two minutes out of twelve talking about their non-accomplishments like 100 players and a single lovely looking river, then they go straight into the community’s desperate attempts to make their own content, like boring races and cringe roleplaying. After that it’s all just more fluff, a rundown of the new ships the sold, and some dreams.txt for next year etc…

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Popete posted:

Admittedly I skimmed it only because backers on Spectrum have a thread about how CIG shouldn't be taking credit for 3.18 in their Year In Review video when it will not actually be out this year lol

The first like 3 minutes they actually talk about stuff they released this year which was very minimal and then it's just taking credit for player driven events and how succesfull their Bar Citizen World Tour was.

colonelwest posted:

They spend two minutes out of twelve talking about their non-accomplishments like 100 players and a single lovely looking river, then they go straight into the community’s desperate attempts to make their own content, like boring races and cringe roleplaying. After that it’s all just more fluff, a rundown of the new ships the sold, and some dreams.txt for next year etc…

Thank you both, I'll get back to Dwarf Fortress.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

Good news everybody! Our ongoing vacation was a success and will continue to be successful well into 2023!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

I hope there was a segment about bedsheet deformation. :colbert:

I also expect there to be comments about the mess hall, and how the AI around it is revolutionary and definitely meaning sq54 is going to release in 2023.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dwesa posted:

LEGATUS NAVIUM posted:

$25,000 Total Spent

Ahead of all others, the noble title of Legatus Navium is an equal match to the honor and virtue you have shown in life. As captains lead their crew, so too are you an example for others to follow, leading Humanity towards a brighter future through your deeds and actions. More than rank alone, it is clear from your manner and bearing you are Legatus Navium.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
That looks like it translates into Latin though.

Despite it being a dead language, pretty sure this is the direct translation according to all my marine friends who know how to use guns too:

You have spent so much money with us your information and email address is going on our "super chump" platinum list we will only sell to other people for top dollar. Thank you for being so bad with money.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
jesus christ, the Latin guy. Can't accept he missed a tiny linguistic joke and has to corncob fully.

Also apparently doesn't understand "knowing some Latin helps you understand other Romance languages" even though he does understand that they come from Latin. It's not because it's old! Hieroglyphics aren't going to help you understand any language other than ancient Egyptian!

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
"Get it right by dawn or I'll cut your balls off; Hail Caesar!"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Knowing how games normally work helps to understand what it is that Cloud Imperium are doing differently... and why.

You mention "other games have option for that". How do other games work? They have scripted NPC's in the main, even those games with apparently complex 'follower' behaviours are scripted. The more involved the behaviour of the NPC the 'heavier' the scripting needs to be. Scripting an NPC (usually in Boolean code language) is laborious and takes time. Someone has to sit down and code for any behaviour they want an NPC to exhibit that hasn't already been coded for another NPC, otherwise they use the same script over and over again for each NPC. Scripted NPC's also have the limitation that they cannot break from their scripted behaviours, given certain stimuli they will always react the same way.

The approach Cloud Imperium take to this brute force manual labour in bulk that is standard for games is to write tools that make it possible to automagically create variation without the need for all that manual (expensive) bums on seats developer time stuff. Example, one guy creates a river in the game, it takes him many months to put one river onto one planet, but while he is doing that he is making a tool the level designers can use to put dozens of rivers and lakes of many types onto a planet in a mater of a few hours. The guy who made the tool is an expensive highly trained developer, however the team trained to use the tool he created can be day one school leavers on their first job by the dozen.. so now you have the ability to have dozens x dozens of lakes and rivers created in a few hours. The same with planets, moons, and space stations.

Cloud Imperium are doing the exact same thing with NPC production, but they aren't as simple as level designed environments they have many dependencies and because of that the toolset has to be more complex since it touches many other features and mechanics in the game such as:

The UI.

Animation.

AI (this is the 'universe awareness' and behavioural choice that CI are aiming for).

Scripting (yes even this game has scripting for certain AI behaviours), behaviours such as eating, drinking, going to the toilet showering as well as any specific behaviours they have enabled.

Character creation - clothing / armour styles etc

DNA - to allow every single game character to be a unique individual. "There are no background characters in Star Citizen."

Player useable dialogue interaction with NPC's

On demand facial animation to match the NPC's output dialogue.

This isn't even close to a full list of requirements. Other games have NPC's that perform a single function and have a fixed set of responses, example in GTA most pedestrians crouch and hold their hands up if there is violence nearby (this behaviour is seen in the current Star Citizen game since it comes standard with CryEngine, but it is only placeholder), this is not how NPC's will be in the game when they have all the systems ready for an NPC population. If you watch Tony Zurovec's presentations over the years you'll see Star Citizen's NPC's are going to be far more sophisticated. They will have personalities, they will have personal attachments - friends and family, they will have their own form of persistence (memory) and awareness of what is happening in the universe around them, they can make choices based upon their own preferences and experiences, they can migrate and take other types of work instead of just those they are scripted to do.

In short: The NPC population that is coming to Star Citizen is way more complex than you will find in other games, that is why it is taking so long to bring them into the game. They need persistence, they need the complex UI, they need the background services like Quanta and Quasar - to name but a few. We're going to see NPC's do things we've never seen before in any other game and the relationship the players have with those NPC's will be unlike any found in other games.

Star Citizen won't have 'gunners', barista's, bartenders, or baggage handlers, or door guards - it will have AI people doing those jobs - but those AI people will have a life away from those jobs. Just like any crew you can hire for your ship.

This is why Star Citizen has to be funded by real players and not men in suits looking to make a quick profit from investing in a product that will be old and forgotten the next time they want to push a new profit making product.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's true, I saw CyberPunk 2077s NPC script and it's just one giant if/else statement.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
lol and also lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PHvZJawtOo

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

colonelwest posted:

I always think of the joke about "What happens when you tell each of the services to 'secure a building'?" The Army will set up a perimeter and make sure no one gets out. The Marines will blast their way in, kill everyone inside, then set up defenses so no one can get in. The Navy will lock the doors and turn out the lights at 1700, and the Air Force will take out a 10-year lease with an option to buy.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

This dumb bastard has 8.5K posts of this poo poo.

Like, how do you just keep posting through, continually being wrong about essentially everything you post, how do you not just slink away? Do the community just not tell him how utterly wrong about this poo poo he is? Does nobody left in there have even the slightest idea about any of this poo poo? The mind boggles.

E: loving hell, I'm closing in on two decades on SA and I don't even have that many posts.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sardonik posted:

This dumb bastard has 8.5K posts of this poo poo.

Like, how do you just keep posting through, continually being wrong about essentially everything you post, how do you not just slink away? Do the community just not tell him how utterly wrong about this poo poo he is? Does nobody left in there have even the slightest idea about any of this poo poo? The mind boggles.

E: loving hell, I'm closing in on two decades on SA and I don't even have that many posts.

Maybe he's an off the books Community Manager :v:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

He’s got them SBF patches Baybay

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 17, 2022

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kesper North posted:

Maybe he's an off the meds Community Manager :v:

That's pretty likely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

It is incredible what Evo has been doing, as I've said before he is no mere human, he is a god among men. The attachment problem we've seen in other games has always had a cheat work-around, 3Laterals' work on DNA is revolutionary but without solving that attachment problem it would have been a tech curiosity waiting for a limited application. Like many research projects taking years to reach mainstream games.

The stuff they are doing is so 'out there' in terms of standard game development it is hard to describe even to those who have some experience, for the majority it just goes over their heads sadly.

If you ask players of most RPG's can the player use a rope or a ladder in the game? They'll say yes there are games like CoD or Splinter cell where you can do this... OK are there multiplayer games where you can do this? Can you do it in GTA for example, yes they have player ladder climbing.

OK. now.. how many games are there where the NPC's can climb ladders or even ropes (not counting where it it is scripted cut-scene type behaviour)? Now it's head-scratching time, there aren't so many of those, but they do exist.

How many games are there where the player can pause on a ladder to turn and shoot at something? Ok now we're narrowing the pack down, there are only a few out that that have that facility. Are there any games where NPC's can choose to climb a ladder or rope and be able to shoot from a ladder? I don't know of any, I certainly don't know of any multiplayer games that have it. There may be some but most don't have it.

Are there any games where you can climb a ladder and at any time jump off that ladder or rope in any direction you want to? Very very rare!
Are there any games where NPC's (not a scripted cut-scene type behaviour) can do the same, decide to jump off a ladder or rope mid climb to carry out a behaviour like chase the player?

Have you ever played a game where the NPC will come along and know to cut the rope you are using to climb?

This is just one example of pushing those bounds, there are many more like it that Cloud Imperium are doing. We're going to see activities and behaviours that will shock people used to playing these types of first person experience games.

The thing I'm most looking forward to seeing, is another of those hard to describe features that in the normal world seem so mundane hardly worth commenting on but are close to miraculous in a game - the first time I see a shop vendor go off on holiday to another planet in another star system, just because he can.