Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Midjack posted:

MG Zaku pipes are infamous because you have to pinch every little exterior pipe segment very tightly to move them onto the interior piece of plastic that shapes the pipe run. Take breaks, it's very easy to wear your hands out on them. The manual has you simply pushing all the exterior segments onto the interior part in one shot but I've never seen anyone make that happen.

Tweezers for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

IG-88 posted:

Tweezers for this?

tweezers will not let you apply enough force to move the segments. it's a legit pain in the rear end.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Well in that case, what’s a good tool kit to pick up? All I have are clippers and a purple mat :)

Amazon preferred lol

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

IG-88 posted:

Well in that case, what’s a good tool kit to pick up? All I have are clippers and a purple mat :)

Amazon preferred lol

Straight smooth jaw pliars: https://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Plie...46&sr=8-39&th=1 this set will do.

Since you only have clippers?
Buy these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW8VTSX?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_ypp_rep_k2_1_5&amp=&crid=39HLM03TFBFDA&sprefix=igan%2B&th=1
If you have a few more dollars: https://www.amazon.com/stedi-4-7-in...288&sr=8-4&th=1

Those are what I buy for me. And I've bought every set of nippers under $20. And i'm unimpressed by the $50-80 sets.

Everyone talks about glass files. They're right.

$8 for a set of two fine, two medium
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08222X79D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: I rarely see it discussed.

But here's how I evaluate nippers. For what we do, we need sharp, and thin blades. Thin blades means they need to line up well.

Most of the economy nippers on the market are stampped metal. The pivot surface in those is ALWAYS sloppy. They're just a no go. That includes the low end of the godhand line.

The cast frames, with the pressed and ground pivots are always better. Both nippers I posted have the pliar type pressed and ground frames.

But side cutters with cast, pressed and ground pivots are easy to find. Then comes the part we care about, damage to the models.. this is where sharp and thin blades come in. When I started buying the.. oh.. 20 sets of nippers I bought, I went searching for nippers where the blades were cut back. If you look at the Stedi MS-100's I posted, most of the head of the nipper is trimmed back. This helps prevent marring of the plastic where the cut is made. The IGAN 330's have a similiar thing, but it's less cut back.

Single blade nippers attempt to take this to another level. By using one jaw as an anvil, and one blade as the cutter, they are attempting to bring a thinner blade to the party. Like when you buy PVC tubing cutters at the hardware store.

I've not had good luck with single blade cutters, as they require cutting from one side, and that is often NOT the side I care about. And they still leave a good mark on the surface. (If you like them, more power to you... I can also recomend a couple that work as well as my MS-100's)

Single blade: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JYPFRQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 17, 2022

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
You'll get a lot of different tool recommendations since a lot of it is down to preference and how much you're willing to spend.

My personal loadout is this:

Nippers - I use these to remove the parts from the sprue. I also recently picked up single-bladed nippers to help with nub removal after the part has been clipped.

Single-bladed nippers should generally be used for removing nubs since they can be fragile and can get quite expensive. God Hands can run up to $100, but also can leave an almost perfectly flush cut. I'm not willing to shell that much out for a pair, but even with my cheapish pair, the amount of clean-up has gone down considerably.

Speaking of nub clean up, you'll definitely want a hobby knife. An X-acto will get you there, but the blades are the important part.

Knives - Currently out of stock, but this is what I use with these blades. This uses longer x-acto-like blades, but I prefer the shorter ones since it gives me a little more control.

And glass files are a godsend for cleaning up nubs. Also, any white marks left from nub removal can usually be removed by rubbing it with your thumbnail.

Any decent pair of angled tweezers are a must for decals, too. And pro-tip, use the end of a smooth wood dowel to help adhere them to the surface.

Lastly, get some kind of spudger/part separator. Sooner or later, you'll put something together when you didn't need to, and these will help keep pegs from snapping.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Moai Ou posted:

*Lots of useful information*

My Steadi MS-100's are about equal to the Tamiyas. Tamiya, tools in general, are markup tools, everything they sell is made by someone else, except their plastic goods. The high end godhands seem to have a VERY defnite use life... a $75 tool with a "oops the cutter cracked off" can just not get in my toolbox to start with.

I use the same mat cutter type knives for doing cleanup. But I use $2-3 handles. https://www.amazon.com/Cutter-Resin...ols%2C95&sr=1-9 Thirteen bucks for two? The blades are hardened more than X-acto so they stay sharper longer, but they also chip easier. Don't pry with them.

Tweezers I tend to buy sets of. If you're bored and out with your SO, or you're of the pursuasion yourself, hit the local makeup shop, their tweezers and nail file sections are gold. Also.. pick up some clear nail polish while you're there!

I end up burnishing my decals with the back end of my hobby knife.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 17, 2022

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Moai Ou posted:

Any decent pair of angled tweezers are a must for decals, too. And pro-tip, use the end of a smooth wood dowel to help adhere them to the surface.

I've got a good pair of tweezers and these revers action tweezers.

Great for the fiddly decals that require a bit more precision. Don't have to hold the tweezers together to hold the part.

Great for placing small pieces if your glueing things as well to avoid fingerprints.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
How do you get Vallejo plastic putty out of denim?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
All that said, I get it if you have Amazon credit you need to use, but buying from a specialty hobby store is probably going to be cheaper even with shipping. The markup on kits and supplies alike is absurd there, assuming you actually get what you order.

CommunityEdition posted:

How do you get Vallejo plastic putty out of denim?

The white stuff is acrylic and will wash out, the grey stuff you're going to have to attack with some solvents to get out. Plastic cement and other plastic solvents will definitely desolidify it, but you're going to want to soak it up as quick as possible, and I wouldn't be surprised if you're going to have some nasty stains on the denim from whatever you use to get it out.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

The white stuff is acrylic and will wash out, the grey stuff you're going to have to attack with some solvents to get out. Plastic cement and other plastic solvents will definitely desolidify it, but you're going to want to soak it up as quick as possible, and I wouldn't be surprised if you're going to have some nasty stains on the denim from whatever you use to get it out.

It’s white, thankfully. I panicked when my washing machine wasn’t touching it, but I think I just have a bad washing machine.

Remember kids - always check for a foil seal before squeezing tubes of goo!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You should be good, then. Get a scrubber sponge and some dish detergent if it's still not coming out.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

IG-88 posted:

Tweezers for this?

I've built two MG Zaku 2.0s and either I'm a genetic freak or everyone else is doing it wrong. Here's what I do:

1. Grab the far end of the pipe with normal vice-grips so you have something to pull against*
  2. Put a pair of regular needle nose pliers just past a bead(or two!) and close them almost enough to grab the pipe but not quite
  3. Use the side of the jaws to push the bead off instead of trying to squeeze the bead hard enough to slide it off with friction
  4. Repeat
  5. Optional: Decide the needle nose pliers are too slow and use the same technique to just push the beads off two at a time with your bare fingers like I do

*Technically you don't need the vice-grips but it saves a ton of hand strength to not need to keep squeezing the pipe and you can put that energy into something more productive.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
y'all are butch baby boys if you can't just easily do it by hand

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Midjack posted:

MG Zaku pipes are infamous because you have to pinch every little exterior pipe segment very tightly to move them onto the interior piece of plastic that shapes the pipe run. Take breaks, it's very easy to wear your hands out on them. The manual has you simply pushing all the exterior segments onto the interior part in one shot but I've never seen anyone make that happen.

Am I a freak if this actually sounds fun? The closer building these kits gets to a puzzle, the more enjoyment I get out of the process.

Definitely built a few HG kits recently which were great and simple, but finishing them I was thinking "what, already? :confused: " MG/RG increasingly sounds like where it's at for me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

free Trapt CD posted:

Am I a freak if this actually sounds fun? The closer building these kits gets to a puzzle, the more enjoyment I get out of the process.

Definitely built a few HG kits recently which were great and simple, but finishing them I was thinking "what, already? :confused: " MG/RG increasingly sounds like where it's at for me.

It's not so much the complexity as it is the amount of force required to get the segments where they need to go. But yeah, sounds like you will appreciate the MG and RG lines.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Midjack posted:

It's not so much the complexity as it is the amount of force required to get the segments where they need to go. But yeah, sounds like you will appreciate the MG and RG lines.

Oh! Well color me less enthusiastic about the Zaku and yet more enthusiastic about the whole line then, thank you. Got the RG God Gundam in the backlog, seriously considering fast-tracking that one.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Amazon overnight shipping kicks rear end. Also, thanks for the purple tool suggestion.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

My Backlogust prize finally arrived! Thank you so much Mindjack for sending this yellow fiend all the way to Scandinavia!

Would this look best in a matte or gloss finish??

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Also things have been pretty silent on the gunpla front for me since backlogust due to falling down the Transformers rabbit hole. Instead I’ve been panel lining and stickering up toys!

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Electrophotonic posted:

Also things have been pretty silent on the gunpla front for me since backlogust due to falling down the Transformers rabbit hole. Instead I’ve been panel lining and stickering up toys!

Flame Toys has a line of pretty good Transformers kits. The G1 Optimus and IDW Megatron are my favorites of what I built of them. I've posted pics of them earlier in the thread.

The build complexity is between an HG & a MG.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone here bought that Heatboys Ninja Turtle Mecha set? I'm not sure if it qualifies as a model kit or not but my trainer is a big TMNT fan and he brought it up when I mentioned I build gunpla.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Have replenished the backlog a little. Had no idea Volks were making Five Star Stories kits until, well, very recently. Couldn't talk myself out of picking a couple up.

Initial impressions are very positive. Shipping direct from Volks Japan store, they turned out pretty reasonable (about the same price as equivalent MG kits).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IDK what five star stories is, apparently an anime as old as me, but those mecha designs are right up my alley

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

I guess I'm a gunpla guy now. I went to the local shop and traded in a bunch of old 2006 Star Wars toys. I came home with this:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

IG-88 posted:

I guess I'm a gunpla guy now. I went to the local shop and traded in a bunch of old 2006 Star Wars toys. I came home with this:

:sickos:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Electrophotonic posted:

My Backlogust prize finally arrived! Thank you so much Mindjack for sending this yellow fiend all the way to Scandinavia!

Would this look best in a matte or gloss finish??

:cheerdoge: I generally like matte but the bright yellow looks pretty good in gloss so you can't really go wrong.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

IG-88 posted:

We need more Dilanza love.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ryunogarage/status/1604431013047783424?s=46&t=k392P155XH_gKZ-YPFxGSw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Somebody in here was saying they wanted more Digimon, right?

30MM continues to kick rear end

FLAME, PLEASE!

Sa, Showtime da.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't know what this

I don't know the significance of these arms and legs

Finally. More torsos

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I don't know what this

I don't know the significance of these arms and legs

Neither do I for the second, and I watched the dang show, but the first one is a tie in to the TurboGrafx classic Keith Courage in Alpha Zones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Neither do I for the second, and I watched the dang show, but the first one is a tie in to the TurboGrafx classic Keith Courage in Alpha Zones.

I think it's just the 3mm attachment points. They're Build-your-own-custom limbs to dress up with other 30mm/HG bits of kibble.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

IDK what five star stories is, apparently an anime as old as me, but those mecha designs are right up my alley

Five Star Stories is like a weird semi-vaporware franchise. The only core media it has is an on-off manga but most of its success has come from tertiary media like artbooks, photo essays and model kits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Five Star Stories is like a weird semi-vaporware franchise. The only core media it has is an on-off manga but most of its success has come from tertiary media like artbooks, photo essays and model kits.

There actually are two anime movies, one from 1989, and one from 2012 called "Gothicmade" that, as far as I can find, has never been shown outside of Japanese theaters.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Woah, who’s this bad boy??

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The full set of 30MM stuff coming.

I am incredibly disappointed in you all for only bringing up the new 30MM mechs and not the sickass customizable sword set, or the transport truck vehicle :colbert:.

Also wish granted for the goon that wanted something to cover the empty 3mm sockets - there's an accessory set coming that's mostly hands in different poses, but it DOES include about 12 different little socket-covers. Three sets of four - Round, Hexagon/Shield and a Hooking mount.

Also I was making a transforming 30MM tank before it was cool. :smuggo:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

High Grade dinosaurs (and a Mosasaur)!

https://bandai-hobby.net/site/plannosaurus/lineup/

The T-rex comes with options to make either a scaled or feathered variant

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 19, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Those hands are coming suspiciously close yo being pronated rather than supinated

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Wow, a high grade with a full inner frame? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also wish granted for the goon that wanted something to cover the empty 3mm sockets - there's an accessory set coming that's mostly hands in different poses, but it DOES include about 12 different little socket-covers. Three sets of four - Round, Hexagon/Shield and a Hooking mount.
:toot:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also I was making a transforming 30MM tank before it was cool. :smuggo:

That's neat!