Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
why would they still want to keep that amazing bear inside a trash bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hangover: https://twitter.com/ThisDoesNotComp/status/1603916180288405504?s=20&t=yyvGqpwIyNWWqGPw-Av8Dw

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Palladium posted:

why would they still want to keep that amazing bear inside a trash bag

protecting it from Jeffrey

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

njsykora posted:

Clint gonna get knifed in his sleep by a clearly haunted computer.

I'm just imagining it on a table, slowly moving its arms and legs, unable to actually move around because of its computer torso. Despite being completely sessile, it's trying to be creepy and menacing with a knife. Clint sighs and gently takes the knife away, then pats it on the head. He heads to the window and tosses the knife out into his backyard. Right next to a pile of freshly raked leaves there is a similarly sized pile of thousands and thousands of knives in various states of mouldering in the weather.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
lian li is tinkering with daisy chained clc aio's which is probably going to be an epic pain in the rear end for people who should just go open loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRe9qjt2tHw

their evo xl sounds like fun for the weightlifting champions who can stand to lug that thing around though

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I almost regret my Lancool III just on the basis of how loving heavy that thing is. The PC runs very cool and quiet though, at least.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

You could house a family of four in that 011D EVO XL and they'd still have room for a large dog to run around, and I love every overengineered bit of it :allears:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DoombatINC posted:

You could house a family of four in that 011D EVO XL and they'd still have room for a large dog to run around, and I love every overengineered bit of it :allears:

And with all the GPU orientations it would be an LGBTQ+-friendly house!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I didn’t realize lgr was in socal. Why did I think he was in the Midwest somewhere

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I didn’t realize lgr was in socal. Why did I think he was in the Midwest somewhere

he lives in north carolina, but he got someone in socal to buy that thing and ship it to him.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

And with all the GPU orientations it would be an LGBTQ+-friendly house!

:whitewater:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
we really need to figure out lifting - and maybe rotation - handles for cases

if it's all aluminium anyway, surely it's solvable

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
the lian li tu150 had a collapsible handle and it was great.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Probably because he went to VCF Midwest several times.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

kliras posted:

we really need to figure out lifting - and maybe rotation - handles for cases

if it's all aluminium anyway, surely it's solvable

the GOAT (new one doesn’t count since its just for rich people)

the edges of those handles were the sharpest thing known to man but they did work

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

That is exactly the same model of carry strap i got with my DFI lanparty in the early 2ks https://www.newegg.com/dfi-lanparty-pc-transpo/p/N82E16811987001

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoOXZpejBnw

It's cute seeing Steve get recognized all the way over in Taiwan. All the homies know Tech Jesus.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I did laugh a lot when they were like how did they know we’re from the US before trying to act like they had an office in Taiwan. Then the shop owner just straight up says yeah we watch your channel and recognised you as soon as you walked in.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

I did laugh a lot when they were like how did they know we’re from the US before trying to act like they had an office in Taiwan. Then the shop owner just straight up says yeah we watch your channel and recognised you as soon as you walked in.

Sounds like they're gonna start needing to use Beve Sturke for these travelogues instead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Guess who got a ratcheting screwdriver for Christmas "because you keep watching that Linus guy"

Happy Holidays to all

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GN news update with a fun story about Intel trying to strongarm their merch supplier to try and get information to clone the GN modmats and toolkits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6bFnzN1SY

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

That is really weird. Why would it matter to Intel if they were able to make a mat just like GN sells?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

That is really weird. Why would it matter to Intel if they were able to make a mat just like GN sells?

Spite/anger from some c-level after being mocked for instance. Which could theoretically lead to review supply issues in the future.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 27, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: nevermind, misread a post

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
E: oops, found the wrong thread post lol

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 27, 2022

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I really doubt that Intel stuff has any actual relation to GN's video. It's probably just a wholly separate division of Intel doing research to produce their own mats and other crap. They're doing it in a scummy way, but taking an existing product and copying it isn't unheard off.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah but why focus so hard on getting the person who ships the GN stuff specifically to work with you? Feels like if you got told sorry but no by a supplier as a massive company you’d just go find someone else and not keep going after this one guy for months.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Who the hell knows, byt considering how important making modmats is to Intel (not at all) they probably told some intern to "get them made like GN has" and they took it too literally

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Who the hell knows, byt considering how important making modmats is to Intel (not at all) they probably told some intern to "get them made like GN has" and they took it too literally

Or some product manager took it really personally someone said no to him. Don’t you know I work at Intel?!?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

njsykora posted:

Yeah but why focus so hard on getting the person who ships the GN stuff specifically to work with you? Feels like if you got told sorry but no by a supplier as a massive company you’d just go find someone else and not keep going after this one guy for months.
Because they're GN's supplier and someone at Intel's swag department looked at GN's modmat, liked it, and gave the order to produce copies with Intel's branding. And whatever idiot tried to comply with that order went about doing so in a dumb way, or maybe they interpreted that "no" from GN's supplier as "offer me more money". :shrug:

I understand why it would feel personal for Steve. But this sort of poo poo happens all the time. The company I work at makes heating elements and we've had instances of someone pretending to be a little coffee maker startup and ordering some samples, only for the shipping address to be that of the R&D department of a competitor. And we've had a customer contact our subsidiary factory of china and try to get that factory to start producing for said customer, instead of us.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Never seen this guy before but it popped up somewhere. He has pretty detailed analysis of power use and efficiency of various phone SoCs, e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ukXDnWlTY

It's interesting because I've been looking for something similar on the PC side for CPU+GPUs but hardly anyone seems to do more than run Cinebench and dozen game benchmarks. The only place I've seen come close is chips and cheese like here: https://chipsandcheese.com/2022/01/28/alder-lakes-power-efficiency-a-complicated-picture/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Someone asked about that in the HUB Q&A video and their answer was if you’re buying a high end GPU you don’t care about efficiency. Which doesn’t explain why no-one does efficiency tests for lower end parts where people presumably would care about that more.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

Someone asked about that in the HUB Q&A video and their answer was if you’re buying a high end GPU you don’t care about efficiency. Which doesn’t explain why no-one does efficiency tests for lower end parts where people presumably would care about that more.
I dunno if that's entirely true considering it has direct impact on power requirement and noise & heat but I can see how it's not the biggest concern for 4090 buyers.

Still you'd think there would be a niche for this in lower-end or mobile parts vs competing with dozens of others to rush out tests of the same games. Like everyone's been jerking off to the M1 efficiency but hardly anyone actually measured stuff to see what makes up the differences. (that channel has a video though it's not quite as detailed as the phone one). It's not technically necessary if you just want to know how many hours you'll get watching cat videos but there's surely also demand for less useful nerdy content like that.

It's probably not even entirely useless since you could actually use that information to significantly increase battery life on your pc laptop. When I got my Minibook with the N5100, I pretty quickly saw it was idling at 1.4W package power at idle for no reason and unsurprisingly the max boost clock (2.8) wasn't the most power efficient either. This took a lot of CPU time but was trivial to test in Cinebench or JS. Cap the boost clock at 2-2.2Ghz and you'll save like 30% of power under load. Granted the Celeron is slow enough that you'll notice this, but on an i7 I'd bet it'd be fine.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Linus's gaming minivan was truly the dumbest thing he has ever done as a video by a mile and he has done a lot of loving stupid videos.

My god.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

It's not that dumb, but it is kind of strange. I worry about the airflow to that stuff being choked when he puts bags in the trunk

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://youtu.be/1xspMdiXFCY

whereupon Clint attempts to fill up his gimmick aquarium PC only to find out that he no longer has running water in his house

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cross-Section posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xspMdiXFCY

whereupon Clint attempts to fill up his gimmick aquarium PC only to find out that he no longer has running water in his house

What are the chances that 40,000 people would be without water for multiple days when he's trying to fill a fish tank PC? That was amazing timing. I love the Duke fish tank decoration.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Clint hosed up not getting some robot fish

I've got a few as cat toys that can swim at whatever depth

Three Olives posted:

Linus's gaming minivan was truly the dumbest thing he has ever done as a video by a mile and he has done a lot of loving stupid videos.

My god.

The battery pack looked really cool though. It seemed really wild that it would charge itself from multiple power sources at once.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm disappointed the aquarium PC isn't using the ank as part of the cooling loop. I have to run a heater to keep my tropical fish happy so that would be two fish with one gadget so to speak.