Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Which ones are you thinking of? I figure that Dana and Rachel are being kept largely apart as a set up to them having the focus episode this season.

They were the primary ones I was thinking of, but I don't feel like they actually know what to do with Ian's character this season either. It just feels like he's much less of a driving force in any of the storylines, and I think the show is worse off for it. More generally, though, it feels like they've split the cast off into a bunch of arcs that center around pairs of people doing their own thing. None of those storylines have much in the way of interesting stakes, and now that I think about it most of them have "character doesn't know what they're doing" as their central conflict. Maybe they'll all congeal into something more interesting story-wise that allows for more ensemble scenes as the season goes on, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The biggest problem with MQ is that its highs are really high and its lows are really low. It's sorta been that way since the beginning. I think I'm willing to enjoy it because it's about something I care about and reminds me of some of my old work days without ultimately taking horrible trope routes that Big Bang Theory and Silicon Valley took. It still taps the occasional horrible trope but it's done in service of a message instead of service of something to disparage.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/ryankalil/status/1600875218515333121

First time hearing about this. Looks like it could be good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm torn between loving retro future stuff and also hating the term "dramedy".

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Just in case anyone was wondering, Echo 3 is very not good.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Slow Horses is brilliant though and everyone should watch it

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering, Echo 3 is very not good.

I watched the first episode of that, the circumstances around the inciting incident in South America (which doesn't get explained until the end of the episode) seemed tremendously dumb.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

Slow Horses is brilliant though and everyone should watch it

I wouldn't say brilliant but it's a very comfy ensemble piece and fun to watch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I agree. It’s not a favourite of mine but it’s a very enjoyable watch. My mum, however, absolutely loves it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Slow Horses gives me Bosch vibes, in the best way.

Nothing transcendant but just really, really well crafted. Both have a knack for knowing where to adapt, where to cut, and where to leave well enough alone with the original sources.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That Star Wars joke on Mythic Quest this week was ooft not good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Slow Horses' cliffhanger game has gotten much stronger in season 2.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Open Source Idiom posted:

That Star Wars joke on Mythic Quest this week was ooft not good.

What was so bad about it that caused you to want to comment on it? It seemed like a generic throwaway joke to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t remember it but the entire episode was so loving mid that nothing stood out as being especially good or bad.

Little America season 2 is rad

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

What was so bad about it that caused you to want to comment on it? It seemed like a generic throwaway joke to me.

They brought it up again at the end, and used it as a running gag to hold a subplot together, so it stood out to me a bit more I guess.

It's bad, but yeah it's not The Worst. It's not great though, but that was true of the entire episode tbh.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
New Mythic Quest is out. Season so far has been a bit forgettable but these one off episodes hit different. It's good.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bad news for mythic quest haters (me), it's getting a spinoff

https://deadline.com/2022/12/apple-tv-orders-mythic-quest-companion-series-mere-mortals-1235200235/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could be fun. We’ll see

Shantaram got cancelled, surprising and upsetting no-one

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I can't believe Shantaram was supposed to be more than 1 season, but anyways a Prabhu getting into daily hijinks or Alexander Siddig spinoff with the ladies and thugs might be better.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Even the Apple Press Release gives no clue on what it is about :
https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/news/2022/12/apple-tv-to-expand-the-world-of-hit-comedy-mythic-quest-with-new-series-mere-mortals/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The one off flash back episodes for MQ continue to be the best episodes each season. They absolutely nailed the casting for young Poppy.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

The one off flash back episodes for MQ continue to be the best episodes each season. They absolutely nailed the casting for young Poppy.

Yeah young Poppy was absolutely spot on. Young Ian not so much, but the kid did an okay job.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Halfway in, "Ah well, guess they won't make me cry in this season's flashback episode."
Poppy plays Sarian, "I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Was it established somewhere that Ian created Sarian before Poppy mentions it at the end of the episode? Because up to then I wasn't sure how their stories connected since I don't think there was any point in the ep where Ian was messing with game creation software.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s the name of the fake planet he invents instead of doing his Saturn project

e: correction, it’s initially called Tartarus, but he changes it. it’s mentioned in the scene where he’s trying to show it to his bed-ridden mom

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 19, 2022

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just started For All Mankind and I have to say they are being oddly even handed with Werner Von Braun. It is alternate history so hopefully at some point a bunch concentration camp survivors shove a bunch of rockets up his rear end and fly him into the sun.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Just started For All Mankind and I have to say they are being oddly even handed with Werner Von Braun. It is alternate history so hopefully at some point a bunch concentration camp survivors shove a bunch of rockets up his rear end and fly him into the sun.

They thankfully address this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone know if this poster is legit? I looked around the other night and couldn’t see any official source putting it out so gut feeling is a fan image someone has stuck an Apple logo on. Good job regardless, that’s some effort.

https://twitter.com/discorddystopia/status/1603610754770292736?s=46&t=KRh0xG7TFlpgUZe6snaSug

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does anyone know if this poster is legit? I looked around the other night and couldn’t see any official source putting it out so gut feeling is a fan image someone has stuck an Apple logo on. Good job regardless, that’s some effort.

https://twitter.com/discorddystopia/status/1603610754770292736?s=46&t=KRh0xG7TFlpgUZe6snaSug

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZLR5X

Nah, it's a separate thing sourced from the artist's website without credit. Rafael Moco published it four years ago.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for the source, some cool images there! Sometimes the spidey senses go off and it just didn’t feel legit (ie ‘coming soon’ for something that probably hasn’t shot a frame yet).

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vanderdeath posted:

They thankfully address this.

Yeah, I saw the episode where he gets fired by Congress which was nice to see considering it's more consequences than he faced in reality. Still holding out hope the lady astronaut gets distracted by how pretty her dress is and lands a rover on Wener's head while he's walking about Florida

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, it's really weird how Mythic Quest keeps oscillating from mild natured office comedy about wacky personalities, to genuine heartfelt gut-punches about broken people. Charlotte Nicdao is really good at playing Poppy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that episode fuckin sucked until it really really didn’t

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Aparently, Burch directed that, which explains why Rachel was 't around this episode. Really cool. Basically all of the cast have some form of writing or directing credit. I wonder how much Charlie Day is actually involved.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

Aparently, Burch directed that, which explains why Rachel was 't around this episode. Really cool. Basically all of the cast have some form of writing or directing credit. I wonder how much Charlie Day is actually involved.

from the way he/rob/meg have talked on the Always Sunny podcast, i dont get the impression charlie is involved at all in the day to day of the show. sounds more like he created it and cashes his EP checks but he basically never talks about the show and it seems like it's more Rob's/Meg's/David's thing now

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The young Welsh woman who is a new addition to the team in the second season of Slow Horses is also the voice of Mio in Xenoblade 3 and Ranni in Elden Ring, fact fans.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Fakename posted:

The young Welsh woman who is a new addition to the team in the second season of Slow Horses is also the voice of Mio in Xenoblade 3 and Ranni in Elden Ring, fact fans.

She was also Esme in Peaky Fookin' Blindahs

Did anyone finish the first season of Outer Range? I watched 2 episodes and gave up but saw that a new season is coming and that the first season had a crazy ending.Is it worth going through all the boring episodes to get to the season finale?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

She was also Esme in Peaky Fookin' Blindahs

Did anyone finish the first season of Outer Range? I watched 2 episodes and gave up but saw that a new season is coming and that the first season had a crazy ending.Is it worth going through all the boring episodes to get to the season finale?
I watched it. My vote is skip it. Boring, low payout. Josh Brolin could only chew so much scenery, the story just isn't that good.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Just finished the S2 finale of Slow Horses, and it kicks Treason the teeth. It was a good finale, and the preview for next season looks interesting.River gets beat up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Overall the Mythic Quest finale was ok and I thought the Dana side was very promising but jesus the way the Ian/Poppy stuff ended up was almost an insult and just made their entire storyline this season a pointless waste of time. Plus lmao @ the movie just getting cancelled between episodes for reasons never stated before in the season