Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

I agree, i want henry cavill to play a serivtor of some sort. maybe he can be the guy polishes helbrecht's sword

Well they shouldn't show a servitor, casual viewers won't know the lore and they'd get mad and turn it off instead of taking it at face value, like Star Wars or Dune. I'm assuming the people watching will be mostly in the 3-6 year old range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

My Spirit Otter posted:

Yea dude, you think witcher actually had all those monsters and fantasy towns irl???

haven't watched it

still cost... looks like $10mil an episode? and it didn't have huge cyborg assholes in armour needing a pile of effects work any time they do anything comprising most of the cast

like maybe it'd be cheaper to do in relative terms now than ten years ago or whatever, but a live action 40k anything is going to be pricy if they're trying to make it actually look like 40k, and doing anything in the heresy is ensuring you have to put big complicated poo poo on the screen at all times

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Looking forward to the Horus Heresy premium grade CGI television series lmao

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xposted from the painting thread:

Finished up my Goff Rocker. I'm pretty happy with how the snow turned out. It wasn't as much of a pain as I was fearing to have it "drift" into the space marine body.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

Looking forward to the Horus Heresy premium grade CGI television series lmao

I'm also looking forward to this thing you made up :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

My Spirit Otter posted:

I agree, i want henry cavill to play a serivtor of some sort. maybe he can be the guy polishes helbrecht's sword

he doesn't even do nude scenes so this would be quite a leap

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I think the real question we gotta ask about any live action 40k series, what size are the pauldrons?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aurubin posted:

I think the real question we gotta ask about any live action 40k series, what size are the pauldrons?

Dark Helmet equivalent pauldrons

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DaysBefore posted:

Woah it's crazy I had no idea Cadia so closely resembled southern California

Don’t be ridiculous it clearly resembles British Columbia.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

From what I've seen, Rings of Power was decent. Not exactly the abhorrent travesty that some LOTR fans called it, but not outstanding either and kinda lacking in scripting and acting.

Yeah but lotr guys are universally weird pedants who were always going to complain and hams are... oh

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
:allears:

Holt is the best. Even a quarter-century later, he's the archetype I think of when I hear the word commissar.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cooked Auto posted:

From what I've seen, Rings of Power was decent. Not exactly the abhorrent travesty that some LOTR fans called it, but not outstanding either and kinda lacking in scripting and acting.

It was a really bad tv show. Boring is the worst crime.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
God I love classically trained British actors you can tell them to literally act as a flying chimpanzee that flings poo poo and they will give it 110%

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I think that aquila being from the HH rulebook almost certainly means that it's going to be HH in which case Henry Cavil is almost certainly going to play the Emperor and be the executive producer.

Or, it really will be an Eddie Murphy and the Crimps style scenario where he plays literally every single Primarch.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Is this like the Alpha Legion version of the Spider Man meme?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

JBP posted:

It was a really bad tv show. Boring is the worst crime.

I watched two episodes before my Prime trial expired and didn't find it good enough to renew. Does anyone know of a decent breakdown on it that isn't made by a right-wing psycho who made their mind up months before it aired?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

My Spirit Otter posted:

Yea dude, you think witcher actually had all those monsters and fantasy towns irl???

Hmm yes 10 hours of Witcher level character CGI, applied evenly across all 100,000 Space Marines in the Heresy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PuTPWgod3s

Good enough, ship it!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://youtu.be/VnS32g_rmmQ

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Hmm yes 10 hours of Witcher level character CGI, applied evenly across all 100,000 Space Marines in the Heresy

Good enough, ship it!

Of course THIS was the episode that my wife actually watched with me after me going on about how much I liked it and "you would too; it's sorta Game of Thrones-y"

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

EdsTeioh posted:

Of course THIS was the episode that my wife actually watched with me after me going on about how much I liked it and "you would too; it's sorta Game of Thrones-y"

I actually really enjoyed the series overall but I still remember thinking this dragon was a bit too ps2 cutscene, they'd have been much better off trying to hide it a bit more in darkness/tight angles/whatever than play it as a big "wow" reveal in this day and age, post GoT.

It doesnt look so bad on my phone screen but on a big tv, it was lame. Accepting the Witcher as a successor to Xena/Conan helped, it's gonna have a certain amount of effects or turns that are just corny/laughable. But that doesnt belong in a 40k/30k series imo. Everything will have to be good. So I hope the do a story that's not marine focused first.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 17, 2022

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
The witcher episode 1 market fight scene was pretty decent imo. The series has a really good portrayal of the Geralt character overall and the bard songs were great. Though the season two ‘burn butcher burn’ was the best song.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Kitchner posted:

Or, it really will be an Eddie Murphy and the Crimps style scenario where he plays literally every single Primarch.

Just get Barry Walts to edit his face in on top of a still from a rule book illustration

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

I actually really enjoyed the series overall but I still remember thinking this dragon was a bit too ps2 cutscene, they'd have been much better off trying to hide it a bit more in darkness/tight angles/whatever than play it as a big "wow" reveal in this day and age, post GoT.

It doesnt look so bad on my phone screen but on a big tv, it was lame. Accepting the Witcher as a successor to Xena/Conan helped, it's gonna have a certain amount of effects or turns that are just corny/laughable. But that doesnt belong in a 40k/30k series imo. Everything will have to be good. So I hope the do a story that's not marine focused first.

I agree on all of this.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Just get Barry Walts to edit his face in on top of a still from a rule book illustration

Just the actor's lips superimposed over an illustration. Clutch Cargo 40,000.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
bad news WarHamBros, I asked my normies sister and she doesn't know who Henry Cavill is

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
cool

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

You're so close here, just think a tiny bit harder on it

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

War and Pieces posted:

bad news WarHamBros, I asked my normies sister and she doesn't know who Henry Cavill is

Ask her about Roboute Guilliman next.

Tell her he's a dreamboat.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Good enough, ship it!

You know after an establishing shot, they dont have to show the greater battle and can focus on small numbers, right?

I dont know why you nerds are getting up in arms about this, thats how most modern shows are filmed. Personally, i cant wait to visit the thousand foot ice wall and white walkers from game of thrones in person.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

smug jeebus posted:

I watched two episodes before my Prime trial expired and didn't find it good enough to renew. Does anyone know of a decent breakdown on it that isn't made by a right-wing psycho who made their mind up months before it aired?

It came down to the same problem with the lady Ghostbusters film: A lackluster derivative product, with legit criticism lost in an overwhelming wave of "anti-woke" reactionaries.

It was poorly made by JJ Abrams proteges, with all the problems you'd associate with that. Inconsistent characterization, puzzle box mysteries, nonsensical misdirects, and some jarring conflicts with the source material.

It falls to establish any sense of scale. One kingdom consists of a single small village, while Numenor is a city of about 100 people.

Production was wildly uneven, with some scenes shot like AAA theatrical releases and others like a daytime soap opera - often within the same episode.

It's a lot of already-solved problems that could have been avoided if Amazon hadn't tagged first-timers to handle this.

There's a whole thread on it in TVIV, I tried to summarize the show's least controversial and agreed upon issues here though.

It did get a lot right, and there's some genuinely great TV moments there. Elrond and Durin's friendship is fantastic.

For best viewing, put it on in the background as you paint minis. Only pay attention when a dwarf is on-screen or there a battle.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Pfft looks like someone is a fake fan. Canonically there were 100,000 marines involved, so if every single one of them aren't on screen at the same time, Henry Cavill will walk because they aren't being true to the lore. Idiot.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

War and Pieces posted:

I actually don't think it's being normie to not know who the guy who plays superman is anymore.

I think you're probably statistically weird if you've never seen any of the marvel or DC films at all.

Not know what warhammer is or why you should care is normal though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't imagine a world where I don't know who Henry Cavill is and I don't want to.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Kitchner posted:

I actually don't think it's being normie to not know who the guy who plays superman is anymore.

I think you're probably statistically weird if you've never seen any of the marvel or DC films at all.

Not know what warhammer is or why you should care is normal though.

i never watched the dc/marvel movies and even i knew who cavill was. Didnt know he liked 40k until i downloaded battlescribe and it had a line for something that was like "unless youre henry cavill, you dont know this and should add it" or something.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My Rings of Power take is the above poster isn't wrong but if you enjoy the vibes and aesthetic of the setting it's worth a watch. I'm hopeful they make more and maybe improve on some of the flaws, because maybe the directors and writers and learn and grow? Probably being too optimistic there but alas.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll admit, I had to check who Henry Cavill is, but that's just because I'm terrible with remembering which actor played who nowadays. That being said, I liked him in the Enola Holmes films.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
He played Superman two Batmen ago

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sounds like Henry is about to be pilloried for being a toxic gamer that hates women. Should boost his Warhammer cred considerably. Nice.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Although those claims in particular are heavily unsubstantiated from what I've been able to tell. To be far, the whole claim is too ludicrous to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Sounds like Henry is about to be pilloried for being a toxic gamer that hates women. Should boost his Warhammer cred considerably. Nice.

Henry Cavill, incel, does not compute.