Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i used to be afraid of roundabouts but now tha ti have many hours in euro truck simulator i think i am an expert at tackling them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mystes posted:

I don't think a cycling roundabout is necessarily a bad idea if there's somehow enough traffic there to merit it

That said 1) there probably isn't and 2) I don't think it needs a raised center and the markings are pretty loving ugly. They should probably just have some indication that you're supposed to follow the rules for roundabouts or something.

It’s so drat annoying to have to learn car traffic rules and behave like cars , when you’re not a car nor a driver :mad:

mystes
May 31, 2006

ok I take it back this rules

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mystes posted:

I actually do kind of hate car roundabouts but I think this thread got mad at me for saying that before

I think I've come around to them being "a nice idea" that is ruined in practice by selfish practices.
A lot of people, I've found, literally do not know what "Yield" means in the context of traffic. They get confused by these weird triangular signs and I've had more than one person tell me they think it's supposed to mean the opposite of a stop sign - i.e. that oncoming traffic stops for you if you are at the sign but otherwise keeps going. This is not correct lol.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say often suck for pedestrians, either you have to make multiple crossings in larger ones or use some type of underpass. Also, the most efficient way to use roundabouts is without signalling which doesn't give pedestrians any protection.

It may be okay in a small European town with minimal traffic but I am actually glad they are relatively rare in the US. The country doesn't need another piece of infrastructure that prioritizes psychotic car drivers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Roundabouts are great, and for safe pedestrian crossings you just set the crossing back 10m or something.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

clowned about by the roundabout

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i had to loving drive, and I was behind not just an SUV

a BMW SUV (x6)

but not just an x6, an x6 M (m is their super souped up version, like RS for audi, AMG for MB)

but not just an x6 M

an x6 M competition

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a31249313/2020-bmw-x6-m-drive/

119K msrp lol

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/magazine-article-pool/bmw-x5-m-competition-bmw-x6-m-competition-first-edition.html

quote:

5 EXCLUSIVE FACTS:

01 Limited edition model
02 Exclusive BMW Individual special paint finish Frozen Dark Silver metallic
03 Exclusive M light alloy wheels in Jet Black uni
04 BMW Individual full Merino leather upholstery in exclusive bi-colour design with contrast stitching in Sakhir Orange
05 High-quality carbon fibre dashboard strip with ‘First Edition 1/250’ inscription

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pull in front of them on the highway and use your windshield fluid when they get close behjnd you

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think I've come around to them being "a nice idea" that is ruined in practice by selfish practices.
A lot of people, I've found, literally do not know what "Yield" means in the context of traffic. They get confused by these weird triangular signs and I've had more than one person tell me they think it's supposed to mean the opposite of a stop sign - i.e. that oncoming traffic stops for you if you are at the sign but otherwise keeps going. This is not correct lol.

Most people are super stupid it's honestly impressive society functions even as poorly as it does

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Real hurthling! posted:

pull in front of them on the highway and use your windshield fluid when they get close behjnd you

Just like a squid!

Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

a lot of people know exactly what they're for but ignore them anyway because driving is their daily opportunity to be an aggressive shithead in a (mostly) consequence-free setting.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

a lot of people know exactly what they're for but ignore them anyway because driving is their daily opportunity to be an aggressive shithead in a (mostly) consequence-free setting.

the blacktop roads we drive on are satanic leylines driving everyone insane

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

So do you agree with Greg that the government deliberately subsidizing whites-only suburban developments by refusing to underwrite non-segregated housing developments, and using tax policy to encourage commercial development near those housing developments, had absolutely nothing to do with where people chose to live? Because that's a moronic opinion.

yeah good post

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lvoe me some automobiles

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

a BMW SUV (x6)

but not just an x6, an x6 M (m is their super souped up version, like RS for audi, AMG for MB)

but not just an x6 M

an x6 M competition

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a31249313/2020-bmw-x6-m-drive/

119K msrp lol

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/magazine-article-pool/bmw-x5-m-competition-bmw-x6-m-competition-first-edition.html

wow somebody better call the police

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

actionjackson posted:

a BMW SUV (x6)

but not just an x6 M

an x6 M competition

how do people notice and remember details like this? as soon as my eyes clock the grill or badge my brain just goes, "ok beamer", or more often "ew, an suv"

I cannot tell you a single luxury car model. they're all just cryptic letters and numbers

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

webcams for christ posted:

how do people notice and remember details like this? as soon as my eyes clock the grill or badge my brain just goes, "ok beamer", or more often "ew, an suv"

I cannot tell you a single luxury car model. they're all just cryptic letters and numbers

can't you read? He had to drive behind a motherfucking BMW

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
-had to drive (ugh)
-had to drive behind a loving SUV (double ugh)
-SUV was a BMW (:barf:)
-BMW was an x6 (:pwn:)
-not just an x6, though, an x6 m (:psyboom:)
-mafarking x6 m was 'comptetition' version :shepicide:

yeah this is my IRL right now :tif:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

why would I want to read a car??? It is not a place of honor. no highly esteemed words are commemorated there. it is dangerous and repulsive to us.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im glad they make cars for rich people to crash in too

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

tractors are cool

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

im glad they make cars for rich people to crash in too

18 year old failsons getting BMWs for their birthdays, getting into their dad's liquor cabinet and also coke and crashing into a family because they were going 150 km/h in a 30 zone.

Apr 7, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

-had to drive (ugh)
-had to drive behind a loving SUV (double ugh)
-SUV was a BMW (:barf:)
-BMW was an x6 (:pwn:)
-not just an x6, though, an x6 m (:psyboom:)
-mafarking x6 m was 'comptetition' version :shepicide:

Found the bmw driver

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Decided to take the bus instead of bike because of the rain. During peak time with buses arriving every 5 minutes, my bus was 20 minutes late from traffic. There is no bus lane. I could bike to my destination in 20 minutes. The bus was also a rickety piece of poo poo that was rattling apart. Houston Metro buses are some of the shittiest buses I've rode.

Still better than driving.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I remember the bus being competitive with my bike (including the short walk) when i started work at 6:30 in my youth. Getting home, or getting anywhere else at a later time was extremely inefficient because of the traffic. This is part of the reason we need cars out before public transport becomes good.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

I was behind it at a stoplight :confused:

Apr 7, 2003

You have to pay $18/month for heated seats in your BMW, or you can pay $415 to be able to turn your heated seats on whenever you want.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

We’re eventually going to see automotive lootboxes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I noticed the guy who cut off my mom's car by driving into a left turn lane to get around a stopped bus (he wasn't turning left, just trying desperately to pass the bus and save 5 whole seconds) had some AMG SUV with matte gray paint that I presume costs $10k or more. I considered yelling at him and/or keying his precious ride but drivers are psychos so I didn't.

e: I was going to check if the AMG poo poo was real or just a stolen valor badge and lol Mercedes sells like 8 different SUV models now.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Dec 17, 2022

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Loucks posted:

We’re eventually going to see automotive lootboxes.
Eventually?

yes, I know what you are actually saying.

Apr 7, 2003

just peeking in on the car forums I check occasionally so I can keep up with bug fixes for the dumb gently caress dashboard tablet that controls everything:

quote:

Discussion Starter · #1 · Sep 10, 2022
Today we traded our 2020 Limited XT for a 2023 Touring XT. I drove the 2020 to the dealership in a light rain and drove the new 2023 home in a medium rain. Each way was about 28 miles. Here are my initial impressions, and I am guessing there will be more to follow as I drive it a bit more.

No wonder Americans are loving going broke, they're trading in a $42K MSRP car on a 60 month loan for a new $45K car on a 60 month loan every two and a half years

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

CopperHound posted:

Eventually?

yes, I know what you are actually saying.

Lmao

Gun sticker dudes are the funniest most pathetic thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i drove today. im good for a while now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

just peeking in on the car forums I check occasionally so I can keep up with bug fixes for the dumb gently caress dashboard tablet that controls everything:

No wonder Americans are loving going broke, they're trading in a $42K MSRP car on a 60 month loan for a new $45K car on a 60 month loan every two and a half years

You couldn't be more wrong, man.

The average car loan length is up to 70 months, there's even less equity there than you're thinking.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

95% of cars look exactly the same now. It's either a massively oversized land boat or a broke person hatchback lifted 1 inch off the ground, renamed "crossover", and sold for 20k more

The only reason you can look at a parking lot and not see something from anti-Soviet propaganda is because enough people are still trying to keep 04 sedans running because it's all they can afford

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Epic High Five posted:

95% of cars look exactly the same now. It's either a massively oversized land boat or a broke person hatchback lifted 1 inch off the ground, renamed "crossover", and sold for 20k more

The only reason you can look at a parking lot and not see something from anti-Soviet propaganda is because enough people are still trying to keep 04 sedans running because it's all they can afford

sorry you hate fuel efficiency it’s not the cars' fault they converge on the most* aerodynamic** shape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

You have to pay $18/month for heated seats in your BMW, or you can pay $415 to be able to turn your heated seats on whenever you want.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

I remember having to jailbreak my first flip phone to unlock the Bluetooth for free. Good to see companies of the future turn to failed 90s practices. (00s?)