Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Every time I see one of these games I think to myself ‘this is the time Justin is gonna try something new and not just rely on his Morty voice for the 10th time.’

Without fail every game is just Justin pulling out his Morty voice, except this time he’s talking even more.

Dwarf Fortress came out for Steam a little back and it’s honestly really good. It’s got a UI, mouse support and even graphics.

The problem is they changed the way some of the game’s systems worked from the original version. Because of this, sometimes I’ll be looking at a guide or wiki and it will be giving me instructions from the old game - which has way more documentation on it.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Dec 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why is it called High on Life when it makes me Wish for Death?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Leal posted:

Why is it called High on Life when it makes me Wish for Death?

What’s with the red text pal

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Justin Roiland has been doing the exact same act the exact same way for a decade at this point. The guy is the absolute platonic form of hack comedy. He's xennial Ray Jay Johnson

But then again his stuff is staggeringly popular and profitable so maybe I'm just not the target audience

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

oldpainless posted:

What’s with the red text pal

Someone in Cspam was mad I made fun of their "the world is ending so I'm gonna take out a loan to buy vr and prostitutes to fulfill my kinkiest fantasies. And my girlfriend I guess, if she is still around." worldview.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They didn't like Code Vein

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I want to play Witcher 3 again with the update, but since I last played it I went and read all the books and I feel like I made all the right choices and don’t want to do anything different

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I feel like I made all the right choices and don’t want to do anything different

Okay but now you have a chance to RP as Geralt.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leal posted:

Someone in Cspam was mad I made fun of their "the world is ending so I'm gonna take out a loan to buy vr and prostitutes to fulfill my kinkiest fantasies. And my girlfriend I guess, if she is still around." worldview.

You can't not share that post

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tunicate posted:

Okay but now you have a chance to RP as Geralt.

Touche

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Len posted:

You can't not share that post

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4003956&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post524004079

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

:stare:

For actual content, I like the whole weird west aesthetic of Hunt Showdown but the pvp aspect has been all downhill since I hit level 11 and permadeath

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Len posted:

:stare:

For actual content, I like the whole weird west aesthetic of Hunt Showdown but the pvp aspect has been all downhill since I hit level 11 and permadeath

Yeah that whole pvp aspect never interested me, but man I would love a game like Stalker or Metro but with janky 1800s guns.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Started replaying Mirrors Edge Catalyst and although the game itself is still real fun, it highlights what a lovely idea tying stuff to an app/online is.
None of the things that the app did are particularly necessary, and the online stuff was mostly time trials but the game feels like someone took a big bite out of it without it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't know how much the average Genshin player enjoys the dialogue in this game but it can't possibly be as much as the devs think they do. Just mashing my way through ten minutes of dialogue to get to the actual interesting things and not just this annoying flying imp screeching and interjecting after every sentence.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That loving waterwheel in Ico.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Morpheus posted:

I don't know how much the average Genshin player enjoys the dialogue in this game but it can't possibly be as much as the devs think they do. Just mashing my way through ten minutes of dialogue to get to the actual interesting things and not just this annoying flying imp screeching and interjecting after every sentence.

Actually she's funny

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Games were way better before dialog

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Your experience will vary depending on what language you play the game in.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kazil posted:

Games were way better before dialog

Welcome to Corneria! Have a nice day.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
poo poo like FF3(6) and Chrono Trigger helped me learn to read as a kid. dialogue in games is cool when the writing is good and edited.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Dialog is fine, voiced dialog is a danger, especially in RPGs.

I firmly believe that if Final Fantasy IX were voiced, it woud be the most hated game in the series.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I think it is a very funny, very stupid decision to have the like five voice actors for Skyrim voice the exact same lines of dialogue other voice actors say. I get it, that you don't want every single Orc or Nord to sound the same, but it's weird when the words are still the same, even if the actor is different.

I definitely feel RPGs don't need voice acting beyond "Hello, citizen," or maybe just a few important lines, like in Baldur's Gate, say, how the villain might voice the opening line, "You! You again! This is the last time you'll make it this far." But the voiced part doesn't keep going, and it gives me a chance to read the rest of the very long monologue in my head, which is faster, and the opening line has already given me plenty of flavor and an idea of this character's tone and inflections. It's perfect.

credburn has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Dec 18, 2022

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

The dialogue is actually why I quit playing. It was one of the early events, the starfall one, where I just wanted to move on and do the vent to get my gems so I could take a roll on the gacha and there were so god drat many texboxes to click through for this event that meant literally nothing and eventually I just alt-F4'd in the middle of the dialogue and never went back. But just to make it worse, this even infected their other game at the time, Honkai Impact 3rd where there was a crossover event and they introduced a character I already wasn't partial to, Fischl, into honkai and every single time she was onscreen there was like ten times as many dialogue boxes to click through as there ever were for any other character. It sucked and I hate genshin impact solely because of the writing.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

credburn posted:

I think it is a very funny, very stupid decision to have the like five voice actors for Skyrim voice the exact same lines of dialogue other voice actors say. I get it, that you don't want every single Orc or Nord to sound the same, but it's weird when the words are still the same, even if the actor is different.

I definitely feel RPGs don't need voice acting beyond "Hello, citizen," or maybe just a few important lines, like in Baldur's Gate, say, how the villain might voice the opening line, "You! You again! This is the last time you'll make it this far." But the voiced part doesn't keep going, and it gives me a chance to read the rest of the very long monologue in my head, which is faster, and the opening line has already given me plenty of flavor and an idea of this character's tone and inflections. It's perfect.

The worst offender for the "reuse the same line with different voice actors" isn't in Skyrim or any other Bethesda game; it's actually in Fallout: New Vegas. There's an orc a super mutant named Mean Sonovabitch (he isn't very mean) who hangs out in Westside, a settlement with a bunch of humans and no super mutants other than him. He's got a speech impediment because his tongue was cut out, so he very obviously doesn't sound like any other super mutant in the game. One of the random dialogue lines for Westsiders is "I'm glad Mean Sonovabitch is on our side." Guess who says this line often enough for it to be noticeable?

(well, everybody, but specifically, Mean Sonovabitch)

Mean Sonovabitch also calls Westside "Wesibe" (pronounced sort of like "wasabi" because the voice actor seemingly wasn't told that the character has a speech impediment). Apparently this is a somewhat common thing for videogame voice actors, particularly 'background npc' types, who just get pages of lines to read without any context. Mean Sonovabitch is just a prominent example, because his lines stick out so much compared to everyone around him (humans with working tongues).

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 06:35 on Dec 18, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A weird bug in New Vegas was that two characters got their "goodbye" lines transposed, so there's a crazy raider out there who calmly says "farewell" and a solemn brotherhood scribe who says "lllllater!!"

This is a fun one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BttKIveIHsQ&t=28s

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Hell Let Loose
I am so sick of WWII games. They are all the same "instadead from nowhere, now spend 60-180+ seconds walking back to the front - oh blown up by artillery, again" routine. So much time just sitting at the respawn screen, so little time in action. Each game more realistic than the one before!!!

And my discord buddies love the poo poo so much they bought me a copy, now I HAVE to put in some good faith game time.

Enlisted is the first WWII game I've liked because you play a whole squad of guys at once, meaning you get more kills (there are more bodies on the field) and insta-death means much less when you can quantum-leap into the guy behind you and get revenge right away.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

NonzeroCircle posted:

Started replaying Mirrors Edge Catalyst and although the game itself is still real fun, it highlights what a lovely idea tying stuff to an app/online is.
None of the things that the app did are particularly necessary, and the online stuff was mostly time trials but the game feels like someone took a big bite out of it without it
I never used the app for that game. What did it add?
I played with Dying Light (1)'s and all it did was gave you crafting ingredients.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Every town building game that lets you do curves with roads: The fact that building placement is still at 45 (or worse, 90) degree angles. It looks so ugly and you may as well just stick with the grid layout.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Croccers posted:

I never used the app for that game. What did it add?
I played with Dying Light (1)'s and all it did was gave you crafting ingredients.

Main thing I remember is that you constantly unlock new player icons or maybe individual pieces ala MGSV but the icon editor was in the app.

Not important at all, but you're frequently being reminded of a feature that's not actually in the game. And naturally there's a in-game tab for your player profile where it would be located, and it just flatly tells you to go use the app.

I'm sure whichever EA exec responsible was real proud for the five seconds between coke binges.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 10:10 on Dec 18, 2022

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Though now I'm wondering exactly how many companion apps there were across the industry and how many of them are still operable. Remember when that poo poo was the future of gaming? :allears:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Though now I'm wondering exactly how many companion apps there were across the industry and how many of them are still operable. Remember when that poo poo was the future of gaming? :allears:

I'm reminded of the one for GTA V that had something to do with a dog

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I got an email a day or two ago informing me of an event in Injustice 2 mobile. That's approaching two games ago for Netherrealm, and those aren't exactly games with short shelf lives. Granted, Injustice 2 Mobile was a game in and of itself rather than just a companion app, but it's still nuts.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag had one. No longer available.

Assassin's Creed: Unity had one. You had to use the app for something, but they added that to the game after obvious complaints. No longer available.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided had one. You could find triangles in game that allowed you to unlock media in the app. No longer available.

Hitman: Absolution had one. I think it allowed you to view a whole lot of stats about the contracts mode and create a list of contracts that you would want to play later. Also information about the series and its missions in general. No longer available.

Them being no longer available is not just a companion app thing, I think in general a lot of things related to those sort of apps don't have a long lifetime. Why spend time maintaining the app when both software and hardware are seeing frequent changes and additions? Why keep the servers running for something that would barely see use even if the app was being updated?

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:36 on Dec 18, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mierenneuker posted:

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag had one. No longer available.

Assassin's Creed: Unity had one. You had to use the app for something, but they added that to the game after obvious complaints. No longer available.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided had one. You could find triangles in game that allowed you to unlock media in the app. No longer available.

Hitman: Absolution had one. I think it allowed you to view a whole lot of stats about the contracts mode and create a list of contracts that you would want to play later. Also information about the series and its missions in general. No longer available.

Them being no longer available is not just a companion app thing, I think in general a lot of things related to those sort of apps don't have a long lifetime. Why spend time maintaining the app when both software and hardware are seeing frequent changes and additions? Why keep the servers running for something that would barely see use even if the app was being updated?

You could extend that to online play in general. Why maintain AC Brotherhood servers if it's expensive and no longer popular, even though the AC:B multiplayer was the best part of that game?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
in destiny 2, using the app (or a third party website) is the only way to grab weapons from your stash without sitting through a zillion load screens: quit to orbit from the planet you're on, fly + load into the hub zone, physically walk around to the vault console, interact with it there, quit to orbit from the hub, load back into the planet you were on. and all this requires breaking party too.
...in a game where your inventory capacity outside your stash is a tiny 9 weapons per slot, including dropped loot you just picked up, and everything else goes to the stash automatically.

there are more than 9 weapon types! even if you only ever use one weapon per type and completely ignore the element system, subtypes, the dozens of unique / 'exotic' weapons, you still won't have enough inventory space to use all of them without the app. and it's a game that often asks you to get kills using specific elements and specific weapon types for challenges

RPATDO_LAMD has a new favorite as of 10:52 on Dec 18, 2022

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ghost Recon Wildlands had its own guerrilla game as a companion app, I can't remember if it gave you any rewards in the actual game but they used the game map. Not sure if it still works.

Mass Effect Andromeda had the Apex HQ app that tied into the game, you could recruit, level and equip Apex squads (basically Citadel Security teams but in Andromeda :v:), then send them to missions that were slightly related to the story or multiplayer mode. I think you can also manage your multplayer characters and loadouts from the app. Successful missions would get you "lootboxes" that yielded gear and materials for the crafting part in Andromeda's singleplayer. The app might still work, it's still available on app stores.

Leal posted:

I'm reminded of the one for GTA V that had something to do with a dog
The GTA V companion app was hilarious. The main function is letting you manage the dog one of the protagonists gets early in the story (if you don't use the app the dog will leave turds in your back yard and later in your pool area). But it would also let you customize your personal cars, even in early GTA Online (cosmetics like creating customized licence plates, but also replace/upgrade car parts). So one of the early GTAO cheats was using the app in eg. BlueStacks, then modifying the car upgrade data the app was sending to your game, allowing you to apply free upgrades and upgrades you didn't unlock within GTAO yet. Then you combined that with one of the common duplication glitches to reproduce and sell expensive cars.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Destiny's app was the only way to find out anything about anyone or anything in the world. I feel like a message that something was added to the grimoire (?) popped up on the screen like every fifteen minutes but God help you if you wanted to view it in the game.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Not an app but I remember Infamous: Second Son had the whole 'Paper Trail' quest where the only way to advance it was by finding clues in-game, using those clues to find websites and stuff in real life, and then using the information on those sites to figure out where to go next in the game. Of course all those sites are long since debunk, so if you wanna do Paper Trail now (not sure why you would since there isn't even an achievement for it) you literally have to follow a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Not an app but I remember Infamous: Second Son had the whole 'Paper Trail' quest where the only way to advance it was by finding clues in-game, using those clues to find websites and stuff in real life, and then using the information on those sites to figure out where to go next in the game. Of course all those sites are long since debunk, so if you wanna do Paper Trail now (not sure why you would since there isn't even an achievement for it) you literally have to follow a guide.
Oh gently caress, yeah. I still have the icon from it in my recycle bin

I'm glad ARGs have mostly died off.