Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

AfricanBootyShine posted:

It's the first BoTW clone that was decent, which was exciting for people who didn't own a switch as it meant you could play a BoTW-like without angering nintendo, and exciting for people who own switches because it was a BoTW-like to hold them over until BoTW 2 came out.

That's super-concise and illuminating, thank you! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I bounced off Hades when I tried it on Switch but after grabbing it on sale and trying it on PC, I definitely understand why everyone was so. obsessed with it when it released.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mr.Acula posted:

I bounced off Hades when I tried it on Switch but after grabbing it on sale and trying it on PC, I definitely understand why everyone was so. obsessed with it when it released.

What made it click for you on PC? KB+M controls? Bigger screen (assuming you were playing Switch in handheld mode)?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Did they remove hours from the review previews on steam suddenly?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Nope

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dark and Darker is back for it's winter playtest!!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How is Orcs Must Die 3? I have heard nothing at all about it but looking at it gives me original Dungeon Defenders vibes and I enjoyed that a lot before it got run into the ground.

I ask because it and the dlc are 75% off so it's like 10bux for the whole shebang

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 17, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Beta is live: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2004320/Duelyst_II/

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

How is Orcs Must Die 3? I have heard nothing at all about it but looking at it gives me original Dungeon Defenders vibes and I enjoyed that a lot before it got run into the ground.

I ask because it and the dlc are 75% off so it's like 10bux for the whole shebang

it's more orcs must die with no particular changes.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

The OldUnreal Patches fix modern compatibility issues with Unreal 1 and UT99, and they have their own master server already running for those. UT2004, however, is probably boned and you'll need to do direct IP connections to servers.

UC2 is on back-compat. No online play because OG Xbox Live is dead, but it runs fine at upscaled resolution and solid framerate.

They actively updated the master servers for the old games back in March, so this is just weird.
From a a few pages ago but thanks!

My OG Xbox at the time had a failing optical drive so I could never run UC2 reliably, I found the disc and it runs fine on my modern Xbox now :woop:. RIP those UT 2003/4 master servers though.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is base game Football, Tactics & Glory good? From what I can tell, this is XCom, but football right? I'm mostly interested in making fun turn-based football plays with a squad of characters that I get to make/customise.

I see there's two DLC, but that jacks up the price quite a bit in my region and I'm hoping to be able to enjoy just the base game experience.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Artelier posted:

Is base game Football, Tactics & Glory good? From what I can tell, this is XCom, but football right? I'm mostly interested in making fun turn-based football plays with a squad of characters that I get to make/customise.

I see there's two DLC, but that jacks up the price quite a bit in my region and I'm hoping to be able to enjoy just the base game experience.

I bought and played it when it first came out, and I wound up loving it by surprise. Haven't tried the DLCs, and Xcom isn't right - more like Blood Bowl or maybe Final Fantasy Tactics - but it's a fun, tactical sport RPG with some depth to it.

I do remember it being pretty easy in the early game, though. There's a fairly easy repeatable loop, once you figure it out. But It gets harder at higher league levels.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's more orcs must die with no particular changes.

The review I read said they basically turned into into a 3rd person action game and drastically reduced the tower defense elements.

If that's true it's hosed up. The whole point of OMD is setting up insane death traps and watching orcs go flying.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

The review I read said they basically turned into into a 3rd person action game and drastically reduced the tower defense elements.

If that's true it's hosed up. The whole point of OMD is setting up insane death traps and watching orcs go flying.

Good thing it is not true

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah that's not really true at all. It's more Orcs Must Die.

Edit: Are you thinking of that other F2P thing they released a while ago? OMD Unchained?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Foul Fowl posted:

it's not, it's botw for people who like checking off lists

its more BOTW for people who don't have the patience to wait for Nintendo to do it in their lifetime

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

That was true of that f2p pvp game they had some years back. 3's biggest additions are gimmicky but fine, otherwise it's more in line with 2.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I remember reading a review somewhere that said that about OMD3 as well so I don't think OP was imagining it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if that's a different review it is also wrong.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Artelier posted:

if someone made this for American football I would pay $60 for it

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone play no place like home?

It seems good

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Kinda weird that it's 75% off until the 23d. Will it have a lesser discount during the winter sale?

MinorRed
Jul 27, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone play no place like home?

It seems good

I haven't played much of it since its full release. I wouldn't say it's bad, just not what I was looking for. It's an interesting take on the Farming Sim genre that shares some DNA with My Time At Portia. At times it does feel a little rougher and cheaper than Portia, especially in some of the underground environments, but I don't remember finding any noticeable bugs. If you're intrigued by the game it's probably worth the cost when it's on sale.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I remember reading a review somewhere that said that about OMD3 as well so I don't think OP was imagining it.

I'm sure those reviews are deal but having played 3 I would disagree with them. It's more OMD, if you liked 1 and 2 I think you'll like 3! Unfortunately I ran out of interest about halfway through

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm sure those reviews are deal but having played 3 I would disagree with them. It's more OMD, if you liked 1 and 2 I think you'll like 3! Unfortunately I ran out of interest about halfway through

same. i guess i don't really like omd that much any more?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

The Shadow over Shatolla

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ah sorry I've never played the first or second Orcs Must Die game so I don't really have a frame of reference, thank you though.

Closest thing I've played is Dungeon Defenders so I suppose I'm wondering how similar it is to that.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It's very similar, you kill enemies with your character to get money to place traps. Lots of different enemy types with varying resistances and evasion abilities that make them stronger or weaker against different traps. Co-op mode if you have a buddy.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Similar, but I played Dungeon Defenders for the loot grind. OMD doesn't drop loot, but does have progression based on how well you do in a level which acts as currency. Unlock characters, weapons, units, different traps, etc.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The loot grind was the big thing that put me off Dungeon Defenders once I got into the late game so it sounds like I'll enjoy this even more, then. Thank you!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I've just rediscovered Dungeon Warfare on steamdeck, which is a super tower defense pixelly game, good fun.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Chubby Henparty posted:

I've just rediscovered Dungeon Warfare on steamdeck, which is a super tower defense pixelly game, good fun.

Thanks for the tip! That's one for the wishlist.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I can get Steam to recognize my PS5 Dualsense via Bluetooth no problem - it shows up and I can calibrate and detect. But when I open a game, it doesn't seem to do anything - none of the inputs work. If I connect via USB, it immediately works. Any advice?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chubby Henparty posted:

You know what is surprising that never got a sequel? Defender's Quest, a very popular TD-RPG ish game that just kind of faded from the game scene.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

pentyne posted:

You know what is surprising that never got a sequel? Defender's Quest, a very popular TD-RPG ish game that just kind of faded from the game scene.

The dev has been working on the sequel for a while now, and updates for the original went on until 2018!
https://www.fortressofdoors.com/year-end-retrospective-dq2-progress-report-for-november-2022/ here's the latest update on dq2 development.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Defender’s Wurst guy has been working on a sequel in his spare time for years now. I still get a newsletter update in my mailbox every month.

Probably going to be a while though, he’s still tuning units and making campaign missions, as well as contracting artwork.

E: drat

Also I’m keeping that typo, it’s funny

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

homeless posted:

Similar, but I played Dungeon Defenders for the loot grind. OMD doesn't drop loot, but does have progression based on how well you do in a level which acts as currency. Unlock characters, weapons, units, different traps, etc.

The loot grind was a lot of fun for me too, but I haven't been able to find something to replace it years after. Playing Diablo 3 right now and that sort of itches it. Torchlight 2 just isn't fun anymore even with mods. Any other games?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Man I loved that game so hard. I didn't get super into the sequel but DW1 sucked up tons of time, such a satisfying TD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

The Defender’s Wurst guy has been working on a sequel in his spare time for years now. I still get a newsletter update in my mailbox every month.

Probably going to be a while though, he’s still tuning units and making campaign missions, as well as contracting artwork.

E: drat

Also I’m keeping that typo, it’s funny

Defender's Wurst: Valley of the Sauerbraten