Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

How can we make sure this stupid system is as complicated as possible and no doubt have many unforeseen consequences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Quorum posted:

a) the way one differentiates, where necessary, is by specifying support needs-- some people have more, some have less, and it can change over time or based on context

b) this is a really lovely way to talk about autistic folks with more visible struggles and higher support needs

Look I don’t like people thinking of them when they think about me. Highly personal reasons.

Edit: I’d almost rather they compare me to Elon. Almost.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 17, 2022

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Stoatbringer posted:

How can we make sure this stupid system is as complicated as possible and no doubt have many unforeseen consequences?

You don't understand, Musk must appease Ian Miles Cheong, a man who said on network television that he stopped playing video games because girls were scary.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

This is the stupidest loving poo poo.

In fact, it's not at all absolute free speech at all! :thunk:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
"Everything is so unfair to me", whined the world's richest man

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

With their brains combined they'll eventually transform twitter into "Reddit but not as good"

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

E the Shaggy posted:

You don't understand, Musk must appease Ian Miles Cheong, a man who said on network television that he stopped playing video games because girls were scary.

Still looking forward to all the screeching when GTA VI finally comes out and there's a female playable character after like 30 years.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DaveWoo posted:

Second richest now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

he's saying that getting blocked by a bluecheck will get you deboosted, but the more accounts that bluecheck blocks the weaker the effect will be

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Imagine paying real money for this garbage --

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1603882302030823424

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

DaveWoo posted:

homer helpfully leaning in: "world's second richest man at the moment"

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It's still a useful label, ASD lacks specificity. If somebody is described as having autism spectrum disorder, that could mean anything from a successful engineer to a screeching, nonverbal heap of medical expenses. If somebody is described as having Asperger's, the image that springs to ones' mind is both specific and reasonably accurate: a highly verbal know-it-all that dislikes crowds and loud noises. Probably likes video games or tabletop gaming also.

gently caress off you ableist shithead

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

whydirt posted:

gently caress off you ableist shithead

Screw you, I got called the R-slur in school too many times to be lumped in with non-verbals. They are not like me, period.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Still looking forward to all the screeching when GTA VI finally comes out and there's a female playable character after like 30 years.

Hey now, you could choose to be a woman in GTA original, and that was only about 26 years ago.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Nigmaetcetera posted:

It's still a useful label, ASD lacks specificity. If somebody is described as having autism spectrum disorder, that could mean anything from a successful engineer to a screeching, nonverbal heap of medical expenses. If somebody is described as having Asperger's, the image that springs to ones' mind is both specific and reasonably accurate: a highly verbal know-it-all that dislikes crowds and loud noises. Probably likes video games or tabletop gaming also.

Or we could not use an outdated term named after a Nazi.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

goatface posted:

Hey now, you could choose to be a woman in GTA original, and that was only about 26 years ago.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Not really the same though, lol.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

Or we could not use an outdated term named after a Nazi.

The anxiety sixer I requested is taking too long. Isn’t there a guy named mole skum or something to call an ableist nazi itt?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Plan R posted:

Imagine paying real money for this garbage --

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1603882302030823424

Looks like someone's going to find themselves banned soon for *reasons*.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

The Year of the Four CEOs

Things are going to get real spicy after someone uses @elonjet to assassinate Musk. Different workers from different factories hailing their local shift supervisor as the new CEO.

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Edmund Sparkler posted:

I would like the idea of them modding the character ala White CJ, only to have someone go "Oh so they're trans?" and the person's head exploding

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Philonius posted:

Things are going to get real spicy after someone uses @elonjet to assassinate Musk. Different workers from different factories hailing their local shift supervisor as the new CEO.

And the CEO who come out of it all on top will get the greatest reward...

... His name will be used as a term for public toilets for millenia.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

whydirt posted:

Since it’s come up, Asperger’s is no longer an official diagnosis. It’s all autism now.

Asperger’s was made by Nazis to separate autistic people who were allowed to live because they could be productive workers from those who would be killed because they were too disabled.

Additionally, autism has nothing to do with Musk being a narcissistic shitbag.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread - Doctors got rid of it in 2013 because it was a made up bullshit way for modern conservatives/nazis to deny people on the spectrum access to disability services.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The anxiety sixer I requested is taking too long. Isn’t there a guy named mole skum or something to call an ableist nazi itt?

oh, is he also referring disabled children to clinics with child euthanasia programs?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

goatface posted:

From a quick (and semi-inebriated) skim, no. It does mention that the LAPD recorded no incident filed by him.

I don't feel the "no LAPD record" is a slam dunk that it's just a false flag. Elon is probably aware the LAPD is incompetent as gently caress, and even if the second richest man in the world demands something they will gently caress things up, and he might have hired a private investigation team instead.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Oh god no, please just no don't, all of this is wrong. It's 25 year old "information" and it's just aggressively horrible. Points for the overconfidence though.

I've worked in disability therapy, ASD specifically, for 20 years. What you are describing is an autistic person with a learning disability, not Autism. These things are two separate diagnosis which do have a high chance of happening together (as does Autism and blindness) and this is where the "high functioning" and "low functioning" myth comes in. No such thing, what they did was classify some people with autism but without the learning disability as "high functioning" or "Asperger's" depending on which doctor was doing the tests that day.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Still less than one week ago:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think we're all a bit autistic to some spectrum

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Stoatbringer posted:

Not to mention all the easily-foreseen consequences.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ymgve posted:

I don't feel the "no LAPD record" is a slam dunk that it's just a false flag. Elon is probably aware the LAPD is incompetent as gently caress, and even if the second richest man in the world demands something they will gently caress things up, and he might have hired a private investigation team instead.

it's not a slam dunk but as of now i see no evidence that it happened

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Why is Musky taking marching orders from loving antman?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

ymgve posted:

The problem is that he's trying to publicly hype it up like it was an assassination attempt. If it's something you're going to handle internally, then you keep it private. If it's something that you're going to blab to the whole world about, then you should be involving the authorities.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think we're all a bit autistic to some spectrum

I’m autistic on the electromagnetic spectrum.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Didn't see this mentioned but more layoffs yesterday?

https://www.engadget.com/twitter-has-reportedly-laid-off-more-of-its-infrastructure-team-192330953.html

Ol melon lying about the whole "no new layoffs" is probably the least surprising thing.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

ymgve posted:

If Musk hired private investigators and journalists won't respect his privacy by using underhanded tactics such as "asking for police corroboration" I completely understand him having no choice but to ban them.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

heavy liquid posted:

IM RINK BUTCH

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Screw you, I got called the R-slur in school too many times to be lumped in with non-verbals. They are not like me, period.

you realize you're internalizing that same discrimination and just kinda passing it along here, right?

like, nobody here is "lumping you in" with anything, nor implying that everyone with autism is nonverbal or requires caretaking or anything like that, it's a spectrum, all "autistic", the base term itself, really describes is "an individual possessing sufficient symptoms of autism to be diagnosed with autism" - the same way one person can have mild free-floating anxiety whenever they're not home, and another person can have crippling, all-day panic attacks regardless of where they are or what's happening, and both can be described as having an anxiety disorder, or how a light misting and a drenching downpour can both be described as "raining". the base term doesn't carry more connotations of one or the other, only misunderstandings of the base term's definition or function do

people being cruel to you for having autism was absolutely wrong, and i deeply understand that learned response from childhood bullying of trying to "pick a better target" for the hostile group to go after rather than yourself or joining in on the hostility yourself as a school-age sort of survival mechanism. I get that kids only have so many options, and that it feels so loving bad to be rejected or antagonized by your peers as a child, it can make doing terrible poo poo feel like okay as long as it makes the bullying stop coming your way. It's kind of like how if someone thinks they're drowning, they'll grab at anything and pull it under with them, even if it's a person trying to rescue them - they're not doing it to be jerks, and I don't think this is coming from you because you're trying to be a jerk

but IMO, that being said, it's also very worth taking a moment to consciously recognize and acknowledge that you're not in that environment anymore and that people here aren't holding those same prejudices and stereotypes that you had to deal with as a kid.

Continuing to hold onto that kind of mindset now doesn't help protect you from anything here, but that's not a thing you need to worry about because that lovely social dynamic you went through as a kid also isn't happening here. The end result of carrying that discriminatory mindset is pretty much only extending and continuing that pain and feeling of being "otherized"
in the exact same way you were, for not only any people on here who might be autistic and/or their relatives, friends, children, etc. but for yourself as well, internally, whether you consciously recognize that or not.

I'm sorry people were cruel to you, i can tell this is probably a sensitive personal spot, but putting more hurtful things out into the world won't heal those wounds buddy.

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 17, 2022

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

heavy liquid posted:

His wind up pose looks like he's about to run like Sonic the Hedgehog

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Stoatbringer posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that almost all of these new intricate rules for who the algorithm should favor will only ever get shoddily implemented, if at all. As long as Elon is tweeting, he will keep throwing out new rules and adjustments that he expects to se people working on pronto. And surely everyone who still works at Twitter now knows that if your choice is between finishing your work on Elon's idea from three weeks ago or making sure you look very busy working on his latest idea you'll chose the second option as long as you value your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol he is for real mad about a jokey wikipedia page

lmao this guy