Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

hybridnoisebloom posted:

been putting a bunch of hours into kittens game, i love that it's simultaneously a cute clicker game about cats and also a shockingly deep micromanagement game. scratches the same sort of itch i get from playing dwarf fortress watching other people play dwarf fortress.

probably worth checking out evolve as well then, it's extremely similar and, if what I've read in the thread is true since I played, a lot deeper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

KG is a classic with some good depth. Evolve is a black hole of depth. It has something like 6 layered prestige mechanics.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

SettingSun posted:

KG is a classic with some good depth. Evolve is a black hole of depth. It has something like 6 layered prestige mechanics.

Evolve's prestige layers are a bit weird:
Mutually Assured Destruction -> Bioseed -> Black Hole -> Ascension -> Demonic Infusions is the normal progression but then you also have challenge modifiers and side prestiges for other buffs with Cataclysm, Terraforming, and AI Apocalypse.

There's at least a full year of content before you even think about going for all the gold achievements and feats.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

Feline Mind Meld posted:

probably worth checking out evolve as well then, it's extremely similar and, if what I've read in the thread is true since I played, a lot deeper

evolve seems cool but -- and i know this is a very silly reason to not want to play it -- i just really like that kittens game is about kittens. evolve's "scientist" vibe is not for me personally

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can reskin it to be about kittens if you so desire

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

hybridnoisebloom posted:

evolve seems cool but -- and i know this is a very silly reason to not want to play it -- i just really like that kittens game is about kittens. evolve's "scientist" vibe is not for me personally

You are a kitten in a catnip forest.

:allears::refurb::tem::tem::yaycat::swoon:

Edit:

My kitten hard at work getting supplies for a hut.

Edit 2:

Science time!

Nervous fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 14, 2022

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you can reskin it to be about kittens if you so desire

oh, right on! i'll have to check it out at some point. i also did pay the three bucks for the mobile version of kittens game and i can already tell this is going to cost my workplace so much money in wasted labor.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
eh, they probably deserve it.

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

neongrey posted:

eh, they probably deserve it.

oh i work for domino's, they definitely deserve it. the mobile port is alright but actually i kinda have some problems with it, particularly that the "notify me when this thing is available" feature (which sounds awesome and extremely convenient) is super delayed for me unless i have the app, like, open on my phone as the main thing. like, to me the point of that feature is that i can set it to notify me, then go do whatever i need to do in other apps and it'll hit me with the notif when it's ready, but in practice the notif comes too late or not at all until i switch to the app. so that's my main gripe, apart from that though it's a decent port.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is idle champions any good? I see quite a few people on my friends list playing it but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone actually talk about it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MarcusSA posted:

Is idle champions any good? I see quite a few people on my friends list playing it but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone actually talk about it.

I've mentioned it before, but it really isn't the kind of idle game this thread likes to talk about. It's a game about grinding forever, but it never has the kind of big game-changing unlock a lot of popular idle games around here have because their entire gameplay model is having you unlock at least one new character a month. That gives you some interesting tools to play with, but nothing that interesting because they can't have any one character be that essential.

(Also, their entire business model is bombarding people with limited time offers and chipping away at them $10 at a time, and I haven't played since they introduced a Fortnite-style battle pass back in September. It just gave paying customers too much compared to F2P players like me, and it didn't give nearly enough interesting stuff to justify how hard that format makes me fixate on completing every seasonal challenge right now. It just made it stop being an entertaining background grind I could check in on every day.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I've mentioned it before, but it really isn't the kind of idle game this thread likes to talk about. It's a game about grinding forever, but it never has the kind of big game-changing unlock a lot of popular idle games around here have because their entire gameplay model is having you unlock at least one new character a month. That gives you some interesting tools to play with, but nothing that interesting because they can't have any one character be that essential.

(Also, their entire business model is bombarding people with limited time offers and chipping away at them $10 at a time, and I haven't played since they introduced a Fortnite-style battle pass back in September. It just gave paying customers too much compared to F2P players like me, and it didn't give nearly enough interesting stuff to justify how hard that format makes me fixate on completing every seasonal challenge right now. It just made it stop being an entertaining background grind I could check in on every day.)

OK thanks fair enough. I also just found out that there is no cross saving between platforms so that's a big fat no from me.

It's available on everything so one account should go across all of them but alas they don't.

Lame.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Five hours have finally passed:

https://ivark.github.io/AntimatterDimensions/

Gotta play from the start myself, but I expect there will be quite a bit of content.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

In my search for a good cross platform game I came across Melvor Idle. Has anyone given it a shot? It’s got decent enough reviews on steam and the App Store.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

MarcusSA posted:

In my search for a good cross platform game I came across Melvor Idle. Has anyone given it a shot? It’s got decent enough reviews on steam and the App Store.

It's a game and fine I guess. FAPI is also cross-platform. Both quite different.

Unrelated, Idle Dice 2 on Android (at least) was a neat thing for a few days, very much an active incremental. And Advent Incremental (web) is a neat ride (there have been a few delays and it's only updated through like Day 14 or something).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CubicalSucrose posted:

It's a game and fine I guess. FAPI is also cross-platform. Both quite different.

Ok I did a google for FAPI and nothing comes up?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MarcusSA posted:

Ok I did a google for FAPI and nothing comes up?

Farmers Against Potatoes Idle.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

MarcusSA posted:

This game is an afk runescape simulator, so if you have the runescape memories in your brain for it to hook onto then it's probably a lot of fun. If you don't have a bunch of runescape nostalgia to carry you through the game it's quite mediocre.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

somekindofguy posted:

Gotta play from the start myself, but I expect there will be quite a bit of content.

I thought this game had an ending already

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

somekindofguy posted:

it's astoundingly terrible, all the new content takes the worst parts of existing content and amplifies it. i have no idea what they were trying to do

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

it's astoundingly terrible, all the new content takes the worst parts of existing content and amplifies it. i have no idea what they were trying to do

Any examples for someone who only half-remembers everything up to eternity?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
In FAPI i am nearing the end of Ascension 4 but things are going slow. The last few runs (24+ h) gave me 160ish reinc levels. I am at 7800 reinc levels now.

Is this a reasonable number or is it way off? (Like would an optimal run give 300?)

What are my goals to increase this? Get to a higher zone in normal difficulty or keep grinding in medium? What is the best way of increasing zone progress? Fighting eff? str? crit dmg? combination?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
They get a lot slower at the end of the Ascensions. I usually manage 8-12h for 120-180. Anything over 12h will drop off quickly. So it’s probably about right, but the diminishing returns on the longer run is what makes it lower.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Theresmore patch just rolled out.

quote:

Added buttons to move all scouts and spies at once
Added 12 new legacy perks
Added new units
Added new enemies
Added the Zenix Aid
Added a new achievement
Added new buildings
Man at arms was nerfed
Fixed prestige without perks selection
Fixed order in which negative values are calculated

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Jesus, I forgot how slow the original Antimatter Dimensions is.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Arcanuse posted:

Somehow I'm still playing this dumb bad game because my brain needs to see numbers go up. Only prestiged once and only hit the 3rd era for the first time today. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because I'm so slow.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
We need Anti-Idle on Steam to complete the circle of life.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Xtanstic posted:

Somehow I'm still playing this dumb bad game because my brain needs to see numbers go up. Only prestiged once and only hit the 3rd era for the first time today. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because I'm so slow.

Ditto. You probably did the same thing I did on my first (and second, drat you kobolds) prestiges, and prestiged early. The current advice is to push really deep on your first prestige or two to get achievements since they are a significant source of bonuses and legacy points. My first prestige was at 20 legacy points, and if I were to start with a fresh save I would probably knuckle down and get to at least the fourth age and aim for around 50, and probably at least one of the advanced prestige currencies.

There is another school of thought on doing a bunch of rapid prestiges, though. Each prestige gives a flat 2% bonus to all production, and there are achievements for going up to 30 prestiges that increase all fame (and therefore all legacy points) earned. The newly added Monument legacy helps a lot with this, as it gives you additional basic job slots. I haven't done this because it just means rushing through the first two eras, no combat, then letting the moonlit night fight destroy you to immediately prestige.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I started playing Cell to Singularity on steam. It's pretty fun so far but I'm wondering how much of a grind it'll turn into since I see it has some premium boost currencies.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I started playing Cell to Singularity on steam. It's pretty fun so far but I'm wondering how much of a grind it'll turn into since I see it has some premium boost currencies.

Dunno if anything has changed since I last played it, but it is very basic and shallow, especially once you get to the prestige layer.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Oenis posted:

Dunno if anything has changed since I last played it, but it is very basic and shallow, especially once you get to the prestige layer.

Yeah it's similar to adventure communist. No depth, just pay to win

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Arbetor posted:

Ditto. You probably did the same thing I did on my first (and second, drat you kobolds) prestiges, and prestiged early. The current advice is to push really deep on your first prestige or two to get achievements since they are a significant source of bonuses and legacy points. My first prestige was at 20 legacy points, and if I were to start with a fresh save I would probably knuckle down and get to at least the fourth age and aim for around 50, and probably at least one of the advanced prestige currencies.

There is another school of thought on doing a bunch of rapid prestiges, though. Each prestige gives a flat 2% bonus to all production, and there are achievements for going up to 30 prestiges that increase all fame (and therefore all legacy points) earned. The newly added Monument legacy helps a lot with this, as it gives you additional basic job slots. I haven't done this because it just means rushing through the first two eras, no combat, then letting the moonlit night fight destroy you to immediately prestige.

Yeah I figure go as deep as you can is the trick. Interesting about slamming a ton of prestiges though. No way to check how much legacy points I've gained so far eh? I can't find it in any of the menus.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I disagree that Cell to Singularity is no fun. It is on the shallow side, compared to some other games, but it does have a decent amount of boosts, prestiges, and play modes to go through. Some parts of it, like the Primary Sim and Beyond have ending points, where you've just done all there is to do. The dinosaur sim, OTOH, just goes and goes so far. It's repetitive, but if you dig having something that used to take a very long time get faster and faster, it's enjoyable enough.

The new addition of the rotating special events has been pretty decent, too. A decent stockpile of cubes (and the fact that they upped the runtime) will get you through your initial runs, and after a while the event specific boosts from the badges you get in the events will speed them up for you.

I do recommend playing on desktop though, because that way you can just background or offline it and progress over time without buying anything. If you have a desktop and a laptop (or multiple machines in any configuration) that you can flip between, even better, because they still haven't noticed that their daily login bonus thing (which is how you stockpile cubes without paying) doesn't sync with the steam cloud save. It seems to be purely client-local, so you can dupe your way through the monthly-ish calendar.

Edit: vvv yeah, i meant steam. i didn't even know it had a browser version. vvv

mdxi fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 20, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been playingbthe steam version in a window because the browser version kept crashing on me. I do like the dinosaur game in it. I just wish there were volume sliders instead of only having the on-off function.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Arcanuse posted:

Is there a link to an updated battle calc? might as well annihilate more enemies forever :3

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Post poste posted:

Is there a link to an updated battle calc? might as well annihilate more enemies forever :3

Before I go digging in the past pages/on the discord, how does the battle calculations work again? I remember someone saying that having a balanced army is a trap based on how the math works. You're supposed to just go full bore shock troops right?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Iirc the best thing to do is follow the weaknesses chart diligently, because you get a huge damage boost if the enemy has even 1 weak troop in their army. People suggest a bunch of shock troops just because not many encounters have ranged units.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Xtanstic posted:

Before I go digging in the past pages/on the discord, how does the battle calculations work again? I remember someone saying that having a balanced army is a trap based on how the math works. You're supposed to just go full bore shock troops right?

Basically, the enemy will have one or two types of units, sometimes three.
The two rules I have on hand are...

quote:

When one unit is strong against anything in the opposing army, that unit gets +100% attack

Battle order
Tank -> Shock -> Ranged -> Rider -> Tank
Weakness order
Tank <- Shock <- Ranged <- Rider <- Tank

So if you use the spreadsheet (or a swarm of spy units, i guess) and figure out what army type you're fighting, you can go hog wild with their weakness, activate the prayers and buffs, then slam your troops into theirs to win.

If you had a balanced army, roughly half of them would be mediocre, 25% of them would weak to the enemy forces, and 25% would be strong against them.

If you're sending in late order units, a small deployment of tanks should be enough to slow the enemy down.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Arzaac posted:

Iirc the best thing to do is follow the weaknesses chart diligently, because you get a huge damage boost if the enemy has even 1 weak troop in their army. People suggest a bunch of shock troops just because not many encounters have ranged units.

This goes both ways, as bringing even that one tank doubles enemy shock troops damage, and might make a fight impossible as you can't get big enough army to deal with their attack. I wouldn't have beaten the 5 and 6 skull fights without sheet at least. The system is stupid, for example ranged is essentially useless for most fights even if the enemy is made of shock troops, as you need high enough defense to deal with their attack or you just automatically lose, and since ranged don't have that defense you don't want to bring them at all.

Post poste posted:

If you had a balanced army, roughly half of them would be mediocre, 25% of them would weak to the enemy forces, and 25% would be strong against them.

If you're sending in late order units, a small deployment of tanks should be enough to slow the enemy down.

It doesn't work like that. If you bring a weak unit, it makes your whole army weak. There's an order in which your troops take the beating, but in the end it's binary system where you either have enough defense and attack to counter theirs for the win, or you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ranged can be useful to compensate for tanks having poor attack themselves, the only problem is that the counter rules mean a tank+ranged combination is straight-up worse than pure shock against anything except opposing ranged.