Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Azov battalion 'just like the rest of the AFU'

Not wrong lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
when these guys get captured will Russia send them to siberia or just hand them back again

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

when these guys get captured will Russia send them to siberia or just hand them back again

catch and release warfare

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
so apparently the news is saying that Ukraine expects Russia to invade from the north from Belarus at the end of February which would be a spectacularly Russia move to make if they attack at the exact same place as last time at the same muddy season exactly when Ukraine expects them to.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Regarde Aduck posted:

Didn't they get a 5 to 1 deal last time or something like that?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

PiratePrentice posted:

Didn't they get a 5 to 1 deal last time or something like that?

5 Nazis for the price of 1, great deal

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

I think they should gently caress off back to Russia.

orcs back to home planet

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Al-Saqr posted:

so apparently the news is saying that Ukraine expects Russia to invade from the north from Belarus at the end of February which would be a spectacularly Russia move to make if they attack at the exact same place as last time at the same muddy season exactly when Ukraine expects them to.

Well Ukraine hasn't exactly been on the ball in all respects when it comes to things that they expect the Russians to do. The Russians were able to completely evacuate Kherson with no casualties or difficulty largely because Ukraine believed that they were going to fight it out and was holding back their forces rather than press forward and attempt to harass the departing Russians. Even after Russia announced it had abandoned the city Ukraine moved forward cautiously because they claimed that they had intelligence that the Russian army was still in Kherson disguised as civilians and were going to ambush them. So maybe take everything Ukraine says with a massive grain of salt.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I remember when the talking points about azov was that they were no big deal, just a minor faction that nobody paid attention to.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Zeroisanumber posted:

I think they should gently caress off back to Russia.

Yes, but Russia now includes Kherson Oblast.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh my god I thought it was like someone making fun of the news article but no its the actual writer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The only reason that vehicle isn't covered in death eagles and such is because it looks like a new replacement. No time to paint it up in traditional Azov style.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, it is clear Russians are amassing in Belarus, but everyone and their dog is guessing where and when they are going to go south. Supposedly, there were further strikes and Kharkov city got hit pretty hard.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
is there a reason they don't push right down the western side and take Lviv? I assume it's very heavily defended?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lostconfused posted:

indistinguishable from other Ukrainian formations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

is there a reason they don't push right down the western side and take Lviv? I assume it's very heavily defended?

NATO, lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Regarde Aduck posted:

is there a reason they don't push right down the western side and take Lviv?

Stuff like the shape of the world, how roads and rail work, Russia’s stated objectives, etc.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Lviv is quite far from Belarus and any attack that far West would be completely unsupported

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Sorry, i meant to type lwow,

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Going all the way to Lviv is probably a bit much.

But Volyn is at least enough of a possibility that Ukrainians are building defensive positions there.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if the russians were able to credibly threaten lviv they would have to take over like 2/3 of ukraine and would basically have won the war already

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, it may be useful to strike out that far if just to divide the attention of Ukrainian forces. The general issue for the Ukrainians it is just such a long frontier (all the way to the frontline in Luhansk) that they really can't man all of it and hold on to the Donbass at the same time.

In addition, the Ukrainians need to keep substantial forces around Kiev just because it is the capital. Otherwise, it is really a guessing game exactly how the Russians are going to strike, I would assume they are also trying to spoof satellites with decoys etc.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Stuff like the shape of the world, how roads and rail work, Russia’s stated objectives, etc.

yeah this

lviv is the core of ukrainian ukraine, russia definitely doesn't want it

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
lviv belongs to poland.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

i say swears online posted:

yeah this

lviv is the core of ukrainian ukraine, russia definitely doesn't want it

From what I read the western military strategists are concerned about a Russian push to divide Ukraine west of Kyiv but east of Lviv. You would pust almost directly south from Minsk and go through Zhytomyr and Vinnystia towards the border with Moldovia. I guess the idea would be to cut the support lines for the majority of Ukraine, where they get basically all of their supplies for their armies through eastern Poland. This sort of attack would strangle the country if successful and if the division of the country was maintained for a lengthy period of time.

The thing is that I can't really see this kind of unsupported attack (where you would potentially create a corridor surrounded on both sides by Ukrainians) succeeding unless the Ukrainian army is already effectively defeated prior to it kicking off. It seems too outrageous to even try, although I guess it's not that much different in principle than the convoy to Kyiv that eventually withdrew in more or less good order after realizing the city wasn't going to collapse.

trying to capture Kyiv again seems equally pointless and those armies in Belarus are building up for something or other so maybe we get to see.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Starsfan posted:

From what I read the western military strategists are concerned about a Russian push to divide Ukraine west of Kyiv but east of Lviv. You would pust almost directly south from Minsk and go through Zhytomyr and Vinnystia towards the border with Moldovia. I guess the idea would be to cut the support lines for the majority of Ukraine, where they get basically all of their supplies for their armies through eastern Poland. This sort of attack would strangle the country if successful and if the division of the country was maintained for a lengthy period of time.

The thing is that I can't really see this kind of unsupported attack (where you would potentially create a corridor surrounded on both sides by Ukrainians) succeeding unless the Ukrainian army is already effectively defeated prior to it kicking off. It seems too outrageous to even try, although I guess it's not that much different in principle than the convoy to Kyiv that eventually withdrew in more or less good order after realizing the city wasn't going to collapse.

trying to capture Kyiv again seems equally pointless and those armies in Belarus are building up for something or other so maybe we get to see.

My current guess is they are there the force Kiev to divert forces because they can't let it open but it also mean Russia has force they can rotate in and out of combat as they are already mobilized and equipped.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Starsfan posted:

right, it's just as much of a suicide mission as the initial invasion that wiped out their special forces at the rail depots and airports just west of kiev

imo the 2010 election results provide a map which shows potential partisan activity in case of a big push. those pink areas are no-go zones unless it's truly a decapitation which as you said doesn't seem likely at this point in the war (and wasn't ten months ago)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
an offensive toward lviv would be an even bigger disaster than kiev was lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

an offensive toward lviv would be an even bigger disaster than kiev was lol

I imagine it would also provoke NATO into moving more troops and equipment to eastern Poland, which Russia wouldn't want

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lviv, Lvaugh, Lvov

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FF post some pages about Soviet inflatable decoy vehicles, I know you've got em

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lviv, Lvaugh, Lvov

Lwów!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the americans spent tens of millions of dollars inventing advanced polymers to go inside high tech pocket pussies for the troops.

the soviets used inflatable decoy vehicles.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

i say swears online posted:

right, it's just as much of a suicide mission as the initial invasion that wiped out their special forces at the rail depots and airports just west of kiev

imo the 2010 election results provide a map which shows potential partisan activity in case of a big push. those pink areas are no-go zones unless it's truly a decapitation which as you said doesn't seem likely at this point in the war (and wasn't ten months ago)

Russia was already in pink “no go” zones and really not much happened. Arguably, much of central Ukraine is just more divided than anything. It is clear that far-Western Ukraine is rather different.

Also, the air assault is really over blown and it is clear the VDV held their position despite losses and were then relieved by naval infantry. It is a myth that has been dispelled even by West Point commentators.

Putting everything in Lvov would be ridiculous, but that doesn’t mean a diversionary attack won’t happen out there.

Also, it would probably make more sense to focus on isolating Kiev from the West than try to bisect the entire country and rather just pressure Ukrainian supply lines while spreading out their forces elsewhere.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lviv, Lvaugh, Lvov

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AniaKoniec/status/1604198122481123328?t=nKHbYKAsTXK0NMwPBQJQ4Q&s=19

https://twitter.com/AniaKoniec/status/1604250059931279360?t=_Ou1bm6Yy2aZO2Nvcr9arQ&s=19

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Seeing a T-55 in a war is like seeing Brian Cox in a movie: Yeah, it's old as gently caress but you always love to see it

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How far is Lviv from where those Ukrainian missiles fell in poland?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How far is Lviv from where those Ukrainian missiles fell in poland?

about 70km straight line distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Eve Fartlvov