Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Infinite Karma posted:

I have a really hard time believing Ivy is a big threat if anyone is playing anything resembling a balanced deck - any targeted removal at any creature also kills her for free.

Ivy posted:

Flying

Whenever a player casts a spell that targets only a single creature other than Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief, you may copy that spell. The copy targets Ivy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Infinite Karma posted:

I have a really hard time believing Ivy is a big threat if anyone is playing anything resembling a balanced deck - any targeted removal at any creature also kills her for free.

The ability is a may.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I can't see the joy in playing Ivy if you're not just making a ton of clones of her.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

I can't see the joy in playing Ivy if you're not just making a ton of clones of her.

This sounds cursed on paper. At least MODO would handle all the triggers and copies and poo poo.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

The one person I've watched playing Ivy has a second deck for all the copies. Honestly it's pretty cool and I'd be tempted to try it, only for the prospect of pulling a second deck out when the game starts.

Just received my first MPC order and I can tell these are a little bit thinner than regular cards. Should I double sleeve them just for playability?

Having 3 cedh decks for the competitive pods really takes the pressure off to optimize any other deck.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Buy Proxies! gently caress Wizards right in their revenue statements. Eliminate the gatekeeping artifice and try Proxies today!

I buy counterfeit proxies all the time, but they are expensive too lol. I ain't printing my own poo poo, I already set up prints at work, I will pay a man in china 200 dollars to send me roughly 200 cards on the finest cardstock and glues copyright law will allow a person to buy.

That said I may have to break down and visit MPC because this horsemanship tribal deck I wanted to build has like 30 multihundo cards from the Four Kingdoms set and only a few of those are popular enough to warrant counterfeit quality proxies.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Infinite Karma posted:

To quote some guy, "reading the card explains the card"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

The one person I've watched playing Ivy has a second deck for all the copies. Honestly it's pretty cool and I'd be tempted to try it, only for the prospect of pulling a second deck out when the game starts.

Just received my first MPC order and I can tell these are a little bit thinner than regular cards. Should I double sleeve them just for playability?

Having 3 cedh decks for the competitive pods really takes the pressure off to optimize any other deck.

Did you get the S30 or the S33 card stock?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Did you get the S30 or the S33 card stock?

S33, the thickness is a little noticeable.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

S33, the thickness is a little noticeable.

Yeah, I got S33s as well. They feel really good double-sleeved. Not sure I'd feel comfortable mixing them in with regular cards, though.

E:

Spoiler, three of the compleated PWs from the next set https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/zmamo5/onespoilerthree_compleated_planeswalkers/

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 15, 2022

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah, I got S33s as well. They feel really good double-sleeved. Not sure I'd feel comfortable mixing them in with regular cards, though.

Oh yea, I got the full decks printed. All my other decks are just going to be legit cards.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I double sleeved one S33 deck as an experiment and it barely fits into a Boulder now. I might take out the inner sleeves.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

doubt

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Serf posted:

I double sleeved one S33 deck as an experiment and it barely fits into a Boulder now. I might take out the inner sleeves.

I can fit exactly 98 double-sleeved (KMC Perfect Fits, Dragon Shield Matte), S33 proxies in these https://ultrapro.com/products/eclipse-2-piece-100-deck-box?variant=39509776564302. The 99th and Commander have to go horizontal above the cards. I'm surprised it was such a tight squeeze in a Boulder.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

I can fit exactly 98 double-sleeved (KMC Perfect Fits, Dragon Shield Matte), S33 proxies in these https://ultrapro.com/products/eclipse-2-piece-100-deck-box?variant=39509776564302. The 99th and Commander have to go horizontal above the cards. I'm surprised it was such a tight squeeze in a Boulder.

I'll check these out. I tend to put an entire single-sleeved proxy deck + 4-7 sleeved tokens in one Boulder and it works perfectly. I generally single sleeve proxy cards because honestly they're a little disposable to me. A whole deck costs less than one Dockside Extortionist, the bigger loss would be the sleeves, box and time it took to get them. But my group has a pretty strict "food and drinks stay on the floor or on another chair" rule because other folks are playing with thousand dollar decks, so I'm not all that worried about them getting damaged.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Serf posted:

I'll check these out. I tend to put an entire single-sleeved proxy deck + 4-7 sleeved tokens in one Boulder and it works perfectly. I generally single sleeve proxy cards because honestly they're a little disposable to me. A whole deck costs less than one Dockside Extortionist, the bigger loss would be the sleeves, box and time it took to get them. But my group has a pretty strict "food and drinks stay on the floor or on another chair" rule because other folks are playing with thousand dollar decks, so I'm not all that worried about them getting damaged.

It's a REALLY tight fit, though. Probably tighter than your boulder. I was just commenting that I was surprised by your experience, is all.

E:

I double-sleeved purely to make the cards stiffer.

E2:

Ancient Copper Dragon holding on strong at $55 average price, lol

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just put in a small MPC order of foil cards to see how I like them. 5 of all the dual lands and some random staples plus a few cards I want to try out. I'm interested to see how they turn out.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Serf posted:

Just put in a small MPC order of foil cards to see how I like them. 5 of all the dual lands and some random staples plus a few cards I want to try out. I'm interested to see how they turn out.

Can't be any worse than how Wizards has been doing!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Batterypowered7 posted:

Can't be any worse than how Wizards has been doing!

Does MPC do foil stamping? If they do, you should get the little holofoil except it's the Pringles guy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

For real. I got a Brother's War gift bundle as an early Christmas present and the pack of foil lands was so curled you could see it before I even opened it. Meanwhile I opened up my trade binder and dug out my old foil 8th Edition Elvish Champion and that bad boy is flat as a pancake (plus it's got that gorgeous Mark Zug art). Some time between me dropping off and now the cardstock quality took a real nosedive or something. I like the foiling on the cards, but they curl so much that it isn't worth it. I buy Digimon cards, which always include two foil rares and those cards are nice and thick, no curling in sight.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dang wait I didn't know you could order foils from MPC! I'm definitely interested in hearing back about them

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I've come to like etched foil cards more, they stay completely flat, even if they look duller.

If they could figure out a more rainbowy look with that style of foil, it'd be nice.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Dang wait I didn't know you could order foils from MPC! I'm definitely interested in hearing back about them

You can even get the back of the card foiled out too, so if you do the little "card face on both sides of the card" trick, you can get double the foils!

E:

Also, lol @ Elesh Norn having six different arts. Gotta get all of them and cycle through them as you recast your commander.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Batterypowered7 posted:

You can even get the back of the card foiled out too, so if you do the little "card face on both sides of the card" trick, you can get double the foils!

E:

Also, lol @ Elesh Norn having six different arts. Gotta get all of them and cycle through them as you recast your commander.

Yeah a giant gently caress you Wizards for keeping that junji ito norn in their back pocket after the secret lair.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

MPC update: have tried 3 different sleeve setups and have opinions for the S33.

Dragon shield matte duals with dragon shield inners: thinner cards with minimal friction doesn't mix well in my opinion. Left a couple days to get the air out and was still a bit hard to manage.
DSMDs single sleeved: Still floaty as heck
Gamegenic matte prime single sleeved: The backs of these are far rougher than dragon shields which actually made the deck feel far more robust and easier to shuffle and maneuver

Seems to me that you want something to add thickness, but you want to keep the friction up.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

MPC update: have tried 3 different sleeve setups and have opinions for the S33.

Dragon shield matte duals with dragon shield inners: thinner cards with minimal friction doesn't mix well in my opinion. Left a couple days to get the air out and was still a bit hard to manage.
DSMDs single sleeved: Still floaty as heck
Gamegenic matte prime single sleeved: The backs of these are far rougher than dragon shields which actually made the deck feel far more robust and easier to shuffle and maneuver

Seems to me that you want something to add thickness, but you want to keep the friction up.

Are your hands not sticky and disgusting, thus leaving a film on all your sleeves that prevents your cards from slipping and sliding?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Raggadragga with Awaken the Woods

This person gets it

Also fun fact: eldrazi spawn and scions' sac for C is a mana ability

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Are your hands not sticky and disgusting, thus leaving a film on all your sleeves that prevents your cards from slipping and sliding?

I was just thinking that these cards would be perfect for the original dragon shields that would get sticky the moment anybody had anything on their hands. Those were tanks.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

TheLawinator posted:

Did you smoosh the air out? I usually divide my games into equal stacks and them place several heavy board games on top of them overnight. That usually gets the poof out.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Did you smoosh the air out? I usually divide my games into equal stacks and them place several heavy board games on top of them overnight. That usually gets the poof out.

Yea that was after a couple days with stuff on them, single or double sleeved I feel like the low friction of DS isn't a great combo with S33 cardstock.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm clearly a very unobservant person because my decks are all single sleeved mixtures of real and MPC cards and they all feel the same to me.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I await the day that double sleevers start buying vacuum chambers to remove air from their decks

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tarnop posted:

I'm clearly a very unobservant person because my decks are all single sleeved mixtures of real and MPC cards and they all feel the same to me.

For real, there's no difference once they're sleeved imo :shrug:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I don't doubt that some people can tell the difference. I have a deck that's 95% proxies and it's noticeably not as tall as my other decks. I just can't detect it at the individual card level

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

TheLawinator posted:

Yea that was after a couple days with stuff on them, single or double sleeved I feel like the low friction of DS isn't a great combo with S33 cardstock.

The only difference then is the inners: I still like KMC inners a lot more than Dragon Shield inners.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

* slaps the top half of your deck across the table * "We call that the Florida Rude Cut."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
cutting opponent's decks is my least favourite ritual of Magic. I get why it's a thing but man do I appreciate playing with just friends and we can skip the deck cutting poo poo after every shuffle.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

cutting opponent's decks is my least favourite ritual of Magic. I get why it's a thing but man do I appreciate playing with just friends and we can skip the deck cutting poo poo after every shuffle.

I just tap the top of their deck and say it's cool. If you're gonna cheat at Saturday Night Commander, you're gonna cheat at Saturday Night Commander.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah at FNM Draft if we've played enough to be on first name basis I sometimes wave away or let them cut themselves but most people still cut mine. really at start of game whatever, it's subsequent shuffles. I dont wanna cut ritual every evolving wilds or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

I just tap the top of their deck and say it's cool. If you're gonna cheat at Saturday Night Commander, you're gonna cheat at Saturday Night Commander.

This. If you're enough of an rear end in a top hat to cheat at commander, it typically shows in more than just stacking your deck and people will call you out on it and not want to play with you anymore.

Usually don't get the issue in cEDH though, where the general mindset is winning by skill, fair and square. Usually everyone in my area is cool with skipping cutting.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 18, 2022