Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mister Speaker posted:

Again forgive me, what part of that do I need to type in Terminal to extract the Artist/Title fields to plain text as shown?
Not anything, I'm not familiar with mac, so I'm sending you once again to some online tool that has a powerful search and replace functionality.

Under Text you paste the contents of the m3u file, replacing whatever is there.

Double check, I guess, that every other line in your text turns blue. If that isn't the case,the expression needs to be rewritten to include whatever gets excluded. I don't quite know what is possible in an m3u file, never mind what exceptions there can be in the tagging of your music.

Bottom field should show the results you can copy to wherever.

It's not a great solution unless you're familiar with regex really, just was curious to see if it could be done.

Instead the Winamp thing sounds more reliable. I also saw a playlist-2-text tool someone on reddit made for apparently similar purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, I'm not familiar enough with any of this to do anything meaningful with that expression that would be any more expedient than just manually cutting out all the code.

That playlist tool from reddit is close! Unfortunately it thinks the Camelot notation is the Artist field so it just outputs "4A - Supreme." A little frustrating because it would be exactly what I'm looking for otherwise.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, I'm not familiar enough with any of this to do anything meaningful with that expression that would be any more expedient than just manually cutting out all the code.

That playlist tool from reddit is close! Unfortunately it thinks the Camelot notation is the Artist field so it just outputs "4A - Supreme." A little frustrating because it would be exactly what I'm looking for otherwise.

The below is completely untested but it should, theoretically, work.

code:
awk -F, '/#EXTINF/ { split($2,x,'-'); print x[1], "-", x[3]; }' whatever.m3u8
What it should be doing is treating every line as a csv (-F,) , looking for lines that contain #EXTINF, then taking advantage of the fact that your software appears to be generating #EXTINF:number,Artist - Mixthing - Track uniformly so that it can just take the second field (remember we are separating fields by commas), split the second field into an array by using "-" as separators, and the artist and track are then always the 1st and 3rd items in the array (awk arrays start from 1).

If it's not doing that, the alternative is to customize the playlist tool. It looks like it's hitting the filenames to get the info because your software isn't generating anything else but #EXTINF. If you download the zip and extract the files, open main.js with TextEdit, you'll see a section of code that looks like this at line 34 or so:

code:
        } else {
          // if no title
          warning.style.display = 'inline-block'
          var filename = song.file.split('.')
          filename.pop()
          filename = filename.toString().split('\\').pop().split('/').pop().replace('_', ' ')
          filename = filename.trim()
          result += filename
        }
replace the result += filename line above with this code:

code:
	var fa = filename.split('\-')
	var la = fa[0].split(' ')
	result += la[1].trim() + ' - ' + fa[2].trim()
so that that bit looks like:

code:
        } else {
          // if no title
          filename.pop()
          filename = filename.toString().split('\\').pop().split('/').pop().replace('_', ' ')
        }
Save over the existing main.js and open index.html - if Safari doesn't do right you might have to use Chrome or similar.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hmm, still no joy.

thepopmonster posted:

The below is completely untested but it should, theoretically, work.

code:
awk -F, '/#EXTINF/ { split($2,x,'-'); print x[1], "-", x[3]; }' whatever.m3u8
What it should be doing is treating every line as a csv (-F,) , looking for lines that contain #EXTINF, then taking advantage of the fact that your software appears to be generating #EXTINF:number,Artist - Mixthing - Track uniformly so that it can just take the second field (remember we are separating fields by commas), split the second field into an array by using "-" as separators, and the artist and track are then always the 1st and 3rd items in the array (awk arrays start from 1).

I tried this in Terminal and it returned some sort of syntax error, maybe I copied it incorrectly?

code:
awk: syntax error at source line 1
 context is
	/#EXTINF/ { >>>  split($2,x,-) <<< 
awk: illegal statement at source line 1

quote:

If it's not doing that, the alternative is to customize the playlist tool. It looks like it's hitting the filenames to get the info because your software isn't generating anything else but #EXTINF. If you download the zip and extract the files, open main.js with TextEdit, you'll see a section of code that looks like this at line 34 or so:

code:
        } else {
          // if no title
          filename.pop()
          result += filename
        }
replace the result += filename line above with this code:

code:
so that that bit looks like:

code:
        } else {
          // if no title
          filename.pop()
        }
Save over the existing main.js and open index.html - if Safari doesn't do right you might have to use Chrome or similar.

Tried this in both Safari and Chrome and I couldn't click the 'Convert' button. Bizarre.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

Hmm, still no joy.

I tried this in Terminal and it returned some sort of syntax error, maybe I copied it incorrectly?

code:
awk: syntax error at source line 1
 context is
	/#EXTINF/ { >>>  split($2,x,-) <<< 
awk: illegal statement at source line 1
Tried this in both Safari and Chrome and I couldn't click the 'Convert' button. Bizarre.

The single quotes in the split should be double. Too much Oracle.

code:
awk -F, '/#EXTINF/ { split($2,x,"-"); print x[1], "-", x[3]; }' whatever.m3u8

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

You're now getting into the point where edge cases are going to give you grief without someone writing something reasonably robust. Stuff people have written for you will fail on things like a song / band with a comma or hyphen in their name. Is there a way you can recreate the m3u in what ever software you're making it without the notation? While it would be a duplicate list it would mean that the reddit tool is going to be perfect for you then you can just delete the dupe list and move on.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I love the smell of awk code in the morning

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
At some point you should ask yourself if you'd be done already if you'd just buckled down and done everything by hand.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

thepopmonster posted:

The single quotes in the split should be double. Too much Oracle.

code:
awk -F, '/#EXTINF/ { split($2,x,"-"); print x[1], "-", x[3]; }' whatever.m3u8

Bingo! This outputs Artist - Title almost perfectly, there are one or two errors but otherwise tight tight TIGHT!!!

Inceltown posted:

You're now getting into the point where edge cases are going to give you grief without someone writing something reasonably robust.

Yeah, I can see how a special character would break any of these expressions.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

At some point you should ask yourself if you'd be done already if you'd just buckled down and done everything by hand.

Yeah, I ended up writing the plist out by hand this afternoon. This is still very useful for future mixes though!

Thanks everyone :)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Gosh this is a stupid/small question but how do you find events on Facebook by date? I can see suggested events, and sort by "top," "local," "this week," "friends," and some other stuff but specifically I just want to find events within like a 50 mile radius on a specific date. I swear I used to do this all the time but I can't seem to locate it.

edit: for a laugh try looking up anything about Facebook on Google. Sure, thousands of people seem to have the same issue, but all these posts and helpful things are from two years ago, four years ago, nine years ago, ten months ago, and it seems like Facebook changes small things so loving frequently that none of the advice is helpful because inevitably two steps in an icon or name of something has been changed or moved

credburn fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 18, 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How much energy gets lost when converting to/from fat? That is, if you eat some food and then use its energy directly, you presumably get X% of that food's energy converted into useful work. If you turn it into fat first and then use it to perform work, you'll get Y%, where Y < X. But how much worse?

Obviously I don't expect a precise answer here, but I'm curious how much energy gets wasted due to converting it for storage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

How much energy gets lost when converting to/from fat? That is, if you eat some food and then use its energy directly, you presumably get X% of that food's energy converted into useful work. If you turn it into fat first and then use it to perform work, you'll get Y%, where Y < X. But how much worse?

Obviously I don't expect a precise answer here, but I'm curious how much energy gets wasted due to converting it for storage.

It varies between person and diet and study, but it’s in the range of seventy‐five to ninety‐five percent.

A complicating factor is that humans are exotherms. We maintain our bodies at constant temperature, and to a large degree, energy lost in conversion just means a reduction in energy that would otherwise be burned specifically for heat.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Counterpoint, every opportunity to automate should be taken as a learning experience.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

It varies between person and diet and study, but it’s in the range of seventy‐five to ninety‐five percent.
Neat! I'm guessing you mean that 5-25% of the energy is lost, while the rest remains useful? I feel like if fat storage was only 25% efficient then there'd be a strong evolutionary drive to find more efficient chemical pathways.

quote:

A complicating factor is that humans are exotherms. We maintain our bodies at constant temperature, and to a large degree, energy lost in conversion just means a reduction in energy that would otherwise be burned specifically for heat.

This is a fair point though. "Lost" energy has to go somewhere...

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

credburn posted:

Gosh this is a stupid/small question but how do you find events on Facebook by date? I can see suggested events, and sort by "top," "local," "this week," "friends," and some other stuff but specifically I just want to find events within like a 50 mile radius on a specific date. I swear I used to do this all the time but I can't seem to locate it.

You’re not crazy or misremembering. You used to be able to search Facebook events by date. They got rid of it and you simply can’t any more.

You can look at events happening today/tomorrow/this week/next week if you go to events on the mobile website. The only explanation I have for this is that Zuckerberg is a dumbass and doesn’t understand how humans look for events to go to.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

mllaneza posted:

Counterpoint, every opportunity to automate should be taken as a learning experience.

This guy sure ain't Union

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
automate everything, but never tell your boss you automated it
that's your precious Forums Posting time

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

How do I remove spilled drink stains from car seat fabric? I tried white vinegar but it came back

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Random thought: are American college debts generally fixed rate interest or variable? In the context of the current high inflation, wouldn't a fixed rate make the debt worth less?

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

BonHair posted:

Random thought: are American college debts generally fixed rate interest or variable? In the context of the current high inflation, wouldn't a fixed rate make the debt worth less?

Federal loans are fixed rate, and high inflation does make your debts worth less generally. It doesn't help the consumer much anymore since nobody's really getting pay increases to keep up with inflation.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'm visiting the Philippines and there's this resort, Las Casas Filipinos de Acuzar, that is built using salvaged and restored pre-WW2 buildings and careful reconstructions of old iconic buildings that were lost to fires and bombings.

Anyway, the area is an incredibly beautiful recreation of a circa 1930 (rich) Filipino town. Is there anything similar in Europe, or anywhere for that matter? I'm guessing there are some carefully maintained Quaker / Pennsylvania Dutch type towns in the eastern US but I'm more interested in places outside North America.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm visiting the Philippines and there's this resort, Las Casas Filipinos de Acuzar, that is built using salvaged and restored pre-WW2 buildings and careful reconstructions of old iconic buildings that were lost to fires and bombings.

Anyway, the area is an incredibly beautiful recreation of a circa 1930 (rich) Filipino town. Is there anything similar in Europe, or anywhere for that matter? I'm guessing there are some carefully maintained Quaker / Pennsylvania Dutch type towns in the eastern US but I'm more interested in places outside North America.

Depending on what you want, Bruges might fit, or you can go to open air museums like Den Gamle By in Aarhus, Denmark.

Comedy answer: rural England

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

The entire city of Gdansk had to be rebuilt after WW2. Dresden also among many others. Bern, where I live, rebuilt the entire old town in stone after the wooden original burned down in the 15th century.

Carcassonne in France is a touristy recreation of a medieval castle and village.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My internet plan is roughly $70/mo for 30Mbps.

My mobile provider claims their 4G can reach up to 100Mbps based on location. I'm in The Big City so Location is probably on my side here.

Is there any reason not to just drop my internet plan, upgrade my mobile plan, and tether my laptop to my phone for the rest of my life?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

greazeball posted:

The entire city of Gdansk had to be rebuilt after WW2. Dresden also among many others. Bern, where I live, rebuilt the entire old town in stone after the wooden original burned down in the 15th century.

Carcassonne in France is a touristy recreation of a medieval castle and village.

BonHair posted:

Depending on what you want, Bruges might fit, or you can go to open air museums like Den Gamle By in Aarhus, Denmark.

Comedy answer: rural England

Thanks y'all!

Killingyouguy! posted:

My mobile provider claims their 4G can reach up to 100Mbps based on location. I'm in The Big City so Location is probably on my side here.

Is there any reason not to just drop my internet plan, upgrade my mobile plan, and tether my laptop to my phone for the rest of my life?

Home connections tend to be much more reliable, faster, and far better ping. If you don't game and if the occasional drop out isn't a big deal (losing a VPN connection to work, streaming video buffering or dropping to low definition), and as long as your mobile carrier doesn't limit your tethering bandwidth, you should be good to go.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Killingyouguy! posted:

Check their bandwidth limits. Most only allow a certain amount of data before dropping your speeds dramatically.

Ping will be brutal if you play online games.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

regulargonzalez posted:

It's not Europe, but Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia (the last capital of the colony) is a faithful reconstruction of the city circa the decade before the revolution, using a mix of buildings that had survived and buildings that were built according to historical records and archaeological research. Not far away is a reconstruction of the Jamestown settlement, though it's not on the actual site of the settlement.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

So what everyone else said but also, being in The Big City means good infrastructure, but it also means that there's a lot more people using the cell network. When looking at internet speeds that Up To does a lot of heavy lifting. It could be fine at certain times during the day, but then a bunch of teens using the same cell tower all decide to watch videos at the same time on their phones and your 100Mbps is now 1Mbps.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

automate everything, but never tell your boss you automated it
that's your precious Forums Posting time

This guy IS union.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Whenever I give my dog a bath, the bathroom ends up with fur and lint (from the towels) on every surface. Is there some easy way to clean this stuff off? It likes to stick to hard surfaces. All the curves make it hard to vacuum. I can kind of wipe it up with rags, but an individual rag gets "saturated" pretty quickly and just starts pushing stuff around instead of picking it up.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Whenever I give my dog a bath, the bathroom ends up with fur and lint (from the towels) on every surface. Is there some easy way to clean this stuff off? It likes to stick to hard surfaces. All the curves make it hard to vacuum. I can kind of wipe it up with rags, but an individual rag gets "saturated" pretty quickly and just starts pushing stuff around instead of picking it up.

I would sweep it once its dried, but if you have stubborn surfaces or weird areas, duct tape will pull it right off. You can also exploit the static in dryer sheets instead of using regular rags.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Amazon is telling me to disable VPN to access free Prime video. Didn't have an issue the last time I watched something a few weeks ago. Of course I'm still able to buy stuff from them with VPN on. Anybody else run into this? I'm using Proton.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Captain Monkey posted:

I would sweep it once its dried, but if you have stubborn surfaces or weird areas, duct tape will pull it right off. You can also exploit the static in dryer sheets instead of using regular rags.

Oh duh, sweeping :doh: Thanks!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Are eneloops still the good rechargeable batteries?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

https://www.ballenberg.ch/en if you're into old farming houses and things like that (but closed till April for the winter).

But essentially many parts of Europe still display "old fassades" because they are still the original thing. Just search for "10 most beautiful places in *" (or picturesque, wonderful, etc).
Maybe stay away from the most famous names.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i couldn't find a relevant thread in sh/sc so here goes.

how dangerous is a ups? you can find stories on the internet about them catching fire, but how common is that really? i've got a few here that i've yet to use but would gladly return them if the risk is real. and if the risk is real, is there a way to test if mine is likely to catch fire? and when a ups catches fire, what kind of fire are we talking about? some small thing that has little to no chance of spreading, or a real threat to the me and my building?

obviously they're sold to the public without requiring a license or anything like that, so i imagine the risk is small/nearly zero, but it's still a bit of a scary proposition? i don't know, these things/power sources/anything involving electricity weird me out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've literally never heard of UPSes being a fire risk before. From searching around, it looks like the main risk is clogged air vents from dust and debris. So keep your house reasonably clean, keep the UPS off the floor, and dust it once or twice a year and you should be fine.

I mean, you also want to replace the batteries when indicated in the manual (should be something like every 5-7 years), but I feel like that goes without saying.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My UPSs just beep angrily at me when the battery needs to be replaced.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

abelwingnut posted:

obviously they're sold to the public without requiring a license or anything like that, so i imagine the risk is small/nearly zero, but it's still a bit of a scary proposition? i don't know, these things/power sources/anything involving electricity weird me out.

Slightly more dangerous than a fan on account of the battery, but less dangerous than a space heater or a toaster. Not a risk worth worrying about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

How would I find good recommendations for a small UPS to keep power flowing to my small NAS?