Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

Dominic Chianese

Did you hear about the T'au diplomat? He made me an offer I couldn't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Cavill should get the chance to play the best Commissar. He has the charm, he has the build, he has that humor.

Let Cavill be Cain

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Cain is supposed to look every inch the intimidating, cleft jawed commissar, so Cavill certainly looks the part.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

It would be great to have him do a humorous part but he is going to be Rowboat or Trajann

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I say they have to go with Eisenhorn or an equivalent Inquisitor expy.

A small but elite retinue is perfect for having a managable number of primary cast and they can showcase a lot of disparate stuff with the warband; psyker, ex-guardsmen, abhumans, sanctioned Xenos (You know they'll cast a hot Aeldari given half a chance) etc.

They can do a load of (more budget friendly) diplomacy and investigation stuff as well as action.

They've got reason to go to a lot of different locations and planets and meet everyone from an Imperial governor to a sump rat hiding in the sewers.

As an entry point for all the non-40k familiar people who they will definitely be wanting to watch the show but need easing into the universe it's hard to see how to beat as a starting point.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Deptfordx posted:

I say they have to go with Eisenhorn or an equivalent Inquisitor expy.

A small but elite retinue is perfect for having a managable number of primary cast and they can showcase a lot of disparate stuff with the warband; psyker, ex-guardsmen, abhumans, sanctioned Xenos (You know they'll cast a hot Aeldari given half a chance) etc.

They can do a load of (more budget friendly) diplomacy and investigation stuff as well as action.

They've got reason to go to a lot of different locations and planets and meet everyone from an Imperial governor to a sump rat hiding in the sewers.

As an entry point for all the non-40k familiar people who they will definitely be wanting to watch the show but need easing into the universe it's hard to see how to beat as a starting point.

this was the fundamental reasoning behind making dark heresy ttrpg an inquisitorial retinue party, btw. and if they do spess mehrines it'll be the deathwatch, for basically similar reasons as the deathwatch ttrpg

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Maximum Comedy Option: 'Actually we've decided to go with a Musical about the Flesh Tearers. Cannibal Corpse have agreed to write the soundtrack!'

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i could think of:

1. eisenhorn
2. ravenor
3. gaunt's ghost
4. heresy
5. BA poo poo, dante, mephiston
6. dawn of fire poo poo
7. comedy option 1: cain
8. comedy option 2: crons

as ideas for a first nontrivial show. basically, you could swing around abnett's big writing-ips-for-movies dick mainly. "oohoo, this could be the next guardians of the galaxy! except pessimistic! and with skulls on everything! and what's a servitor?"
Fifteen Hours.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
how many war movies are there vs. how many torquemada-cum-judge-dredd movies or cyberpunk paradise lost movies are there, is the problem

gg also much more likely to be the one ig thing if theyre doin an ig thing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
40K Black Mirror or American Horror Story where each season is something entirely different.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I might be alone in this, but I hope it isn’t Eisenhorn. Just create a whole new sector and you can avoid immediately running into people’s very specific and personal expectations re: a very particular take on the warhammer universe. I’d wanna see the horusian wars adapted if they did an extant book series. Or something great crusade with a rotating cast of remembrancers as the POV. Or the new historitors if they wanna be brave and work in their new 41K sandbox.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Eisenhorn would work well as a springboard, provided they didn't change much. I'd be worried that whichever writers were brought in would change things to stamp their own mark on the story, which is inevitably worse because they're not as talented as Abnett.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Mark Strong should still play Eisenhorn...so Cavill can be Ravenor.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lol.

'We've got Henry Cavill!!!!'

'Cool, cool. Let's put him in a box where no one can see him.'

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Deptfordx posted:

Lol.

'We've got Henry Cavill!!!!'

'Cool, cool. Let's put him in a box where no one can see him.'

That's what a friend said when I brought it up, but! Ravenor spends a lot of time being canonically hot and able-bodied as an interrogator, and I think in a visual medium there's a lot of opportunity to have him interact with the world via some kind of psychic surrogate once he's in the chair.

But also yes it would be funny to cast him as the dude who ends up in a box before he gets his own stories.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Fabulous Custodes: the sitcom.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

Mark Strong should still play Eisenhorn...so Cavill can be Ravenor.

Too minor a role, that's like 2 scenes of him on screen and then just voice acting. They need to utilise him as their big draw, his star power was probably what got Amazon on board after they spent years trying to make Eisenhorn with the guy from Man in the High Castle and then hosed around doing whatever they were trying with Warhammer+. I do like Hammer and Bolter at least but it's all a few tiers below prestige TV in production values.

I reckon Ravenor should be a cameo kinda appearance from Kit Harrington, the only thing he's missing is height, just do whatever they do with Tom Cruise to make him look taller, all that perspective poo poo, high heels, whatever. It's only 2 scenes.

e: Also Mark Strong is much better when he's doing comedy imo, he's very dry, I would make him Cain instead.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 16, 2022

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Yeah Kit Harington would be a good Ravenor

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

drat, it's the thread game of 'Fantasy casting the 40k tv show', only it might happen this time. :psyduck:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Given Cavill can identify a Blackstone Fortress as needed, I'm deeply hoping for a Battlefleet Gothic show. As in, an adaptation of the Gothic War itself.

You can get away with limited sets and big CG battles. It's basically perfect for making a show on a reasonable budget (for Amazon), can be used to introduce most of the major factions in 40k, and, more importantly, gives me what I want.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Maybe they could do an anthology where Cavill has a different key role in every season, kinda like Evan Peters in American Horror Story.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Comedy answer, Strong is Cain and Cavill is the propaganda version.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arc Hammer posted:

40K Black Mirror or American Horror Story where each season is something entirely different.

A 40k anthology series would loving own, that's the best part about hammer and bolter

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Azubah posted:

Comedy answer, StrongRowan Atkinson is Cain and Cavill is the propaganda version.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
then who would be Jurgen?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Grognan posted:

then who would be Jurgen?

Someone actually handsome and good looking so the whole he's a blank thing makes people go "ooooh, that's what's up"

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Rufus Sewell or Jude Law would both be good as Eisenhorn.

Mark Strong's face has gotten way too round in the past 10 years.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

As long as they give Jurgen some Pigpen-esque stinklines I'm okay with anyone in the role.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

40K isekai anime “I got reincarnated as a sister of battle”

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Z the IVth I like your idea more.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Chemtrailologist posted:

Rufus Sewell or Jude Law would both be good as Eisenhorn.

Mark Strong's face has gotten way too round in the past 10 years.

I want to see Rufus Sewell in everything I watch, so I approve of that decision as well.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Given Cavill can identify a Blackstone Fortress as needed, I'm deeply hoping for a Battlefleet Gothic show. As in, an adaptation of the Gothic War itself.

You can get away with limited sets and big CG battles. It's basically perfect for making a show on a reasonable budget (for Amazon), can be used to introduce most of the major factions in 40k, and, more importantly, gives me what I want.

Oh, my god I never knew I wanted Battlestar Gothic until right this instant, but I do want it. I want it more than anything.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Deptfordx posted:

drat, it's the thread game of 'Fantasy casting the 40k tv show', only it might happen this time. :psyduck:

Gonna repost my old post from a few months ago:

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Imagine a Denis Villeneuve film "The Vengeful Spirit" with Cavill as Sanguinius. Save him for that, just in case. Not gonna happen but I can dream.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 17, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
basically every great role in 40k is for middle aged northern english white dude, except a whole lotta tokens like vulkan and the khan and the emperor himself, beloved by all

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Cavill should be that navigator from Rites of Passage too.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

basically every great role in 40k is for middle aged northern english white dude, except a whole lotta tokens like vulkan and the khan and the emperor himself, beloved by all

I'd be really surprised if they ever put in the Salamanders as currently exists in lore, in live action, because it is just blackface full stop.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Battle for Armageddon but Cavill plays every role. Ghazgull, Yarrick, Sewer Cleaner #3, all of them.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Sharkopath posted:

I'd be really surprised if they ever put in the Salamanders as currently exists in lore, in live action, because it is just blackface full stop.

Can hire black actors and put them in make up and it wouldn’t be blackface.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

Depends. A black dude i knew in college was like "Dude Salamanders are just like me but red eyes and buffer. Thats rad"

Also handwaved away the weirder part having everyone becoming black when implanted the gene seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Azubah posted:

Cavill should be that navigator from Rites of Passage too.

Cavill as Jokaero weaponsmith when??