Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

S.J. posted:

Yeah having extra toughness makes sense it just interacts weirdly with how the other characters are already tanking a lot of ranged fire which can make it feel like the Vet just ends up having more toughness to rumble in melee and it being somewhat irrelevant for the ranged game :v:

Isn't the Vet 150 base?

veteran has 200 toughness base, everyone else has 100

Sharkopath posted:

No, it's 100% Toughness, not 100 numerical toughness. The second vet gets hits once they take scaling melee damage the same as everybody else.

i must be getting it confused with the launch bug where any number over 100 toughness gave you negative damage reduction then. i feel like my point that "the veteran needs more toughness because they take more ranged fire than everyone standing in front of them who are supposed to be closing to melee" doesn't make a lick of sense still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Are you sure this is true? This would make any toughness above 100 worse than 100 toughness.

Because the scale goes from 100 reduction to 0, having more toughness means you have slightly longer before you reach no protection at all.

Of course as the difficulties go up and enemy damage goes up, the protection toughness gives to melee damage goes down way precipitously, until the difference hardly matters at all between 100, 150, and 200.

It still remains an important part of veterans ability to stand up to heavy gunner and ranged fire though, where the damage reduction is 100% until toughness is gone.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The higher base toughness also makes all +% toughness curios much stronger for the vet.

I've been slow to get to higher levels because I'm basically playing all of the classes somewhat equally (all 20+ but level 15 Ogryn atm) but the more I play the more pronounced the power disparity between vets and the other classes gets. I just did a mission with my psycher and, aside from some horde clearing with voidstrike, I may as well not have been there.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Higher total toughness is much more effective against ranged damage than melee - losing any amount opens you to chip melee damage. And Zealot and Ogryn are theoretically more capable of regenerating toughness in melee so that's where they come into their own.

This kinda falls apart where the Power Sword comes into play, but that's not toughness' problem.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The higher base toughness also makes all +% toughness curios much stronger for the vet.

I've been slow to get to higher levels because I'm basically playing all of the classes somewhat equally (all 20+ but level 15 Ogryn atm) but the more I play the more pronounced the power disparity between vets and the other classes gets. I just did a mission with my psycher and, aside from some horde clearing with voidstrike, I may as well not have been there.

Honestly despite the loss of instant kill in t4 I think psyker still has a good niche for itself, the ability to just grab most things and pop it while behind cover is still a cool useful trick that comes in handy, and with your ult the ability to just consecutively pop ogryn heads makes a big difference in a way that any vet without a plasma gun cant quite do. Force sword is fun as hell and the most useful of all the elite killer "stuck-in" type weapons because of the slight knockback aoe, and the voidstrike despite having middling damage I'd still say is the absolute best ranged weapon in the game, because it doesn't matter if it doesnt kill elites in one hit when it can stunlock them until they die.

Its subtraits like maintaining warp charges to get a tiny damage bonus aren't even worth maintaining, and its talents are pretty weak choices across the board, and I'm still eagerly awaiting buffs to the other staffs, a rework of its talent tree, and also give me the psycannon for good measure.

I like vet but genuinely I have more fun playing psyker most of the time, I like the maintenance of peril gameplay and the special tricks you can do.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 18, 2022

megane
Jun 20, 2008

On both Zealot and Psyker I feel like I’m just caddying for the Vets; they do everything important while I run around pointing at ammo and cleaning up stray trash (just to keep myself entertained, of course; they all have power swords so they’re better than me at melee and ranged and surviving and supporting the team and probably dancing and lacrosse, too)

megane fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 18, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The vet needs you to stand next to him so he can stand still and have all the enemies target you so he can swing his powersword back.and forth killing everything. Probably just best if you block and dodge.

Edit: Also after the nerf the powersword is still strong, probably #1 or 1A melee weapon in the game but it does have some clear downsides. The mobility on it is not great including the dodges and it has a horrible push attack. The vet can easily get overwhelmed and cornered and doesnt have any capability to do anything about it once that happens where as Ogryn & Zealot can charge / become invuln / etc.

I think it'd be good if they brought other melee weapons up to the level the powersword is at now. The Thunderhammer charge heavy attack just be like a massive AOE knockback that smites a target in the center imo

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 18, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

like at the end of the day, the veteran has twice as much toughness as everyone else. you can argue that it's not that big of an advantage, or the most important advantage of the many they have, but it's an advantage the veteran has. just, numerically, if nothing else.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd also accept modified shuriken pistols/catapult/cannons for psyker, thank you fatshark.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

megane posted:

On both Zealot and Psyker I feel like I’m just caddying for the Vets; they do everything important while I run around pointing at ammo and cleaning up stray trash (just to keep myself entertained, of course; they all have power swords so they’re better than me at melee and ranged and surviving and supporting the team and probably dancing and lacrosse, too)

Honestly voidstrike is so good that I use it as my melee weapon a lot of the time, you can hold back entire hordes in melee range because anything that doesnt get killed by the massive line pierce is now stunned so you have time to quell or charge up another shot as needed. You can obliterate densely packed shooter hordes faster than vet too, it's got a lot going for it.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So how does this work again?
Veteran: Ranged and Melee class. Good at both
Ogryn: melee class. Really cool
Psyker: makes people's heads hurt
Zealot:flamethrower guy. Not as good at melee as veteran or ogryn

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Honestly the Zealot I love and is frustrating because it is so close to being a powerhouse.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jarvisi posted:

So how does this work again?
Veteran: Ranged and Melee class. Good at both
Ogryn: melee class. Really cool
Psyker: makes people's heads hurt
Zealot:flamethrower guy. Not as good at melee as veteran or ogryn
archetypally it seems like the overall intent is
zealot: melee dps
veteran: ranged dps
ogryn: tank
psyker: crowd control

but implementation wise it seems more like
veteran: all dps, some tank
zealot: melee dps (worse than veteran)
psyker: ranged dps (worse than veteran)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd say nobodys designed to be strictly melee or ranged, the game really relies on the hybrid gameplay.

Zealots intention is an offensive all rounder, Veteran is defensive all rounder.

Ogryn is a multipurpose support and anchor, Psyker is supposed to be a focused elite killer with some options for focused wave killing.

Veteran just edges too far into Psyker's territory for comfort while having a strong melee weapon that makes up for their lack of traits and skills in melee. Psyker's second build as a wave killer is also pretty underwhelming and undertuned while also making their elite killing skills drop off entirely by T4 because of how they don't scale well.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Would changing powersword moveset to be non-cleave oriented and serve as a single target melee be a good nerf, or two far?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

Would changing powersword moveset to be non-cleave oriented and serve as a single target melee be a good nerf, or two far?

the problem there is that weapon already exists for the veteran and it's called the chain axe

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Light attack cleave, heavy stabs or slashing overheads would be nice. I really want to see an overheat mechanic tho

Also a skin for the power sword that makes it an officer's sabre. Would go back to it in an instant if they did that

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

I think the bigger issue is that other classes power weapons should be brought in line with its power level. Power sword just stands out because the thunder hammer is so much more limited right now. Even chainsword and axe I think need a good buffing because of how iconic they are to the setting.

It's a weird concept for a game to have such different tiers of power but honestly I don't think a base shovel or axe should be strictly equitable to chain and power weapons, but giving them more defined niches and specialty use cases would be nice. The Bolter and Plasma Gun for instance do that pretty well, they're strong, fun, useful, and powerful weapons but have drawbacks that make more general purpose lasguns and autoguns more attractive to many users.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 18, 2022

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

if it lasts LONGER against ranged fire why does the veteran need MORE of it than every other class lol

Vet takes extra damage when running, dodging and maybe even sliding when zealot takes less or none

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sharkopath posted:

I'd say nobodys designed to be strictly melee or ranged, the game really relies on the hybrid gameplay.

Zealots intention is an offensive all rounder, Veteran is defensive all rounder.

Ogryn is a multipurpose support and anchor, Psyker is supposed to be a focused elite killer with some options for focused wave killing.

Veteran just edges too far into Psyker's territory for comfort while having a strong melee weapon that makes up for their lack of traits and skills in melee. Psyker's second build as a wave killer is also pretty underwhelming and undertuned while also making their elite killing skills drop off entirely by T4 because of how they don't scale well.

look, i get what you're saying is every class/every player needs to be prepared and expected to be able to fight both at range and at melee as the situation warrants, but if you look at the zealot's traits, feats, and ability it's obvious the class is meant to be primarily melee focused and if you look at the veteran's traits, feats and ability it's equally obvious the class is meant to be primarily ranged focused, there's no getting around that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

field balm posted:

Vet takes extra damage when running, dodging and maybe even sliding when zealot takes less or none

what, and also why

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's really just the power sword envy. If th eviscerator was sped up just a bit more or the hammer actually did slightly better damage in wide swings, I'd never take vet or zealot.

If you know the level layout, you can get around pretty well without taking ranged fire by sliding and dodging... but if you have a vet on the team, they'll take out whatever's shooting at you before you can get to it.

And if you get snagged by a pop in melee spawn, you're pretty much occupied until it's dealt with.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

what, and also why

The multipliers for damage sustained at different. Zealout pretty much has huge iframes ( 0 multiplier) while the others have some other fraction.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dandywalken posted:

It's three far, stop messing with my beautiful baby! :mad: The cleave nerf was painful enough. Only the Munitorum MK III Power Sword reduces an entire horde into a soup-like homogenate in 30 seconds, and that's the way I likes it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ninjoatse.cx posted:

The multipliers for damage sustained at different. Zealout pretty much has huge iframes ( 0 multiplier) while the others have some other fraction.
lol where the hell does it say that i must've completely missed it all this time

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

archetypally it seems like the overall intent is
zealot: melee dps
veteran: ranged dps
psyker: crowd control

but implementation wise it seems more like
veteran: all dps, some tank
zealot: melee dps (worse than veteran)
psyker: ranged dps (worse than veteran)

The Ogryn and Psyker imo were intended to be melee and ranged control, Ogryn being a tank isn't really accurate at all, even with the slab shield

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

S.J. posted:

The Ogryn and Psyker imo were intended to be melee and ranged control, Ogryn being a tank isn't really accurate at all, even with the slab shield

what about the extra health, the extra wound, the ability to pick up allies without being interrupted, and the damage reduction to toughness and health, though

and again, all the applicable feats

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 18, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

All of psykers traits also apply to both their ranged and melee, its very fun to poke somebody once with a sword and have their head explode.

Psuker does get a trait to reduce ranged toughness damage which helps support them countershooting too, but maintaining stack is hard and the benefits not as strong as vets.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

what about the extra health, the extra wounds, the ability to pick up allies without being interrupted, and the damage reduction to toughness and health, though

Those are decent compensations for being physically larger and therefore automatically taking more incidental damage than everyone else, sure. And certainly there is a tankier build you can build with, IF you can efficiently build bleed stacks, which is fairly gear dependent on being good. Being able to take damage fairly well doesn't mean they're the designated damage taker, seeing as they have no way to actually force the enemy to attack them. Ogryn is my main, there's a lot of situations where you just automatically take way more damage than everyone else even with your bonuses simply because of your size.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think you're getting a little too granular on what defines a tank in a videogame

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Cowcaster posted:

what about the extra health, the extra wounds, the ability to pick up allies without being interrupted, and the damage reduction to toughness and health, though

Ogryn trying to play as a tank quickly melts under ranged fire. Ogryn are best at controlling the horde so everyone can work on the actually dangerous specials and elites.

Also people saying Vet is the best melee class is like, I try to play Veteran like I do my Zealot and I just die quickly. The power sword is entirely carrying that class in melee and honestly I'm fine with the power sword being strong because otherwise your all 4 Veteran party will melt when a horde is on top of them. The power sword has the biggest downside in that you swing 3 times and then you have to back off and charge again, which is precious seconds in Heresy+ wasted whereas with my Eviscerator I only need to worry about revving it when there's a chonky enemy in there. If the Vet is engaged in melee then that's an honestly wasted Vet.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

i think you're getting a little too granular on what defines a tank in a videogame

I think you're applying an MMO definition to a classes abilities where it doesn't apply.

e: Ogryn is fantastic at disrupting the enemy at short range. They have to be able to take damage to do that well, because duh. That doesn't mean they're designated tanks, it means they need those abilities to not just die.

The Ogryn can certainly tank in certain situations if they have the build for it, but then, so can the Zealot and so can the Vet

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

S.J. posted:

I think you're applying an MMO definition to a classes abilities where it doesn't apply

you're the one applying mmo definitions my dude i'm saying, in your words, the class where "there's a lot of situations where you just automatically take way more damage than everyone else" is by definition the tank

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

you're the one applying mmo definitions my dude i'm saying, in your words, the class where "there's a lot of situations where you just automatically take way more damage than everyone else" is by definition the tank

Yeah, because they have a bigger hitbox and because their abilities almost always require them to be close to the enemy, not because they have the ability to magically draw aggro. Come on, stop intentionally misinterpreting me. The Zealot can actually tank in a lot of situations way better than the Ogryn because of their toughness damage reduction feat and their mobility, which requires a lot less effort out of their build, and has the ability to self heal.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 18, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tanking as in TAKING damage not AVOIDING it, i don't think we're understanding each other

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

tanking as in TAKING damage not AVOIDING it, i don't think we're understanding each other

Yeah you don't want to take damage, that's what you're not understanding, and that's why your idea of tanking is wrong

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Cowcaster posted:

Taking damage doesn't mean you're a tank. Ogryn doesn't want to be taking damage too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no one wants to take damage! i'm saying the ogryn can take more of it than other classes, that makes them the tank!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you know, like the armored vehicle that's really hard to defeat, because it can take so much punishment before it's out of commission? is that not what a tank is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

no one wants to take damage! i'm saying the ogryn can take more of it than other classes, that makes them the tank!

No, they can't, their default abilities basically just balance out the incidental damage that other classes automatically get to avoid easier with their smaller hitboxes. There is no tank in this game