Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Seeing a T-55 in a war is like seeing Brian Cox in a movie: Yeah, it's old as gently caress but you always love to see it

Next season on “Succession”…

Logan: KENDALL, you son of a bitch, here’s what I think of your “rap music!”

*fires main gun on an apartment building*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.vox.com/world/2022/12/16/23507640/dc-party-invite-military-contractors-money-ukraine-russia-war-us

Vox wrote about this event.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Lmfao

When even Vox is raising an eyebrow at this level of MIC sponsorship, you know you’ve failed at being subtle.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/timand2037/status/1603903254554877953

it's al qaeda all the way down

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Osamna

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SODA!!!

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Lolvov

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

is there a reason they don't push right down the western side and take Lviv? I assume it's very heavily defended?

Because no one's said it yet the answer is the same reason they never took Kiev, which is the Pripyat marshes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

is there a reason they don't push right down the western side and take Lviv? I assume it's very heavily defended?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I wonder how many weapons from Ukraine have already made their way down.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I wonder how many weapons from Ukraine have already made their way down.

bet a bunch of them didn't even make it to Ukraine first lol

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
There were some telegram posts of javelins and other stuff reaching Syria fairly recently

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Al-Ukraida

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw the actual border is south of that line, Yelsk is in Belarus.

The two clear routes are either Volyn or Zhytomyr, but if the attack happens before late February it is going to be less of an issue.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:57 on Dec 18, 2022

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

how else are you going to grind the swamp fox trait for your generals

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've had a generally pleasant experience with it, besides the limitations on the game library. What didn't you like?

it looks like a scam app. they really nailed the look

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Imagine living in Yelsk, Belarus. Just on the opposite side of the mosquito filled marsh lands the free and shining (huwite) lands of the west and it's stalwart, rich and beautiful protectors: The Ukranians.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin's Ardennes gamble

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No one told him satellites had been made.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

thats exactly where i'd place kyiv in civilization

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Nonsense posted:

Putin's Ardennes gamble

Battle of Hürtgen Forest + Battle of the Marshes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ukraine’s presidential office is criticizing FIFA for refusing to show a video message from President Volodymyr Zelensky in Qatar’s Lusail Stadium ahead of the World Cup final on Sunday.

The video, which was recorded in English, is meant to be an “appeal for peace,” Ukraine’s presidential office said in a written statement to CNN on Saturday.

“Qatar supported the President’s initiative, but FIFA blocked the initiative and will not allow the video address of the president to be shown before the final game,” the statement said.

Ukraine’s presidential office also said it will distribute the video independently if FIFA doesn’t air it and said their decision to block it would show “FIFA has lost its valuable understanding of soccer – as a game that unites peoples, rather than supporting existing divisions.”

CNN reached out to FIFA but has not received a comment. The world football governing body has gone to extreme lengths to keep political messaging out of its showcase tournament in Qatar, the first Middle Eastern nation to ever stage the event.

Qatar has not publicly commented on the request from Ukraine.

CNN first reported on the story on Friday, when a source within Zelensky’s office said the request to deliver the message of world peace prior to kickoff had been rebuffed.

On Saturday, CNN received a video copy of Zelensky’s pre-recorded speech.

In the clip, Zelensky says soccer is meant to bring the world together and calls for “the World Cup, but not world war.”

“This World Cup proved time again that different countries and nationalities can decide who is the strongest in the fair play but not in the playing with fire, on the green playing field and not on the red battlefield,” Ukraine’s president says in the video.

The Ukrainian presidential office told CNN they were informed that FIFA regarded the message as too political and said they had sent a copy of the text of the address to FIFA headquarters in Switzerland on Friday.

“There is nothing political in the president’s appeal that gives political color to the sporting event, namely, there are no subjective evaluations, political signals, and even more so no accusations,” the presidential office said, adding that there is “still time for FIFA to correct their error.”

“FIFA should not be afraid that words of peace will be heard at the global soccer celebration that represents peace,” the statement said.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Zelenskyy too corrupt for FIFA

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

George Orwell's dystopian novel "1984," set in an imagined future where totalitarian rulers deprive their citizens of all agency in order to maintain support for senseless wars, has topped electronic bestseller lists in Russia.

The novel is the most popular fiction download of 2022 on the platform of the Russian online bookseller LitRes, and the second most popular download in any category, the state news agency Tass reported on Tuesday.

The English author's novel was published in 1949, when Nazism had just been defeated and the West's Cold War with its erstwhile ally Josef Stalin and the Soviet communist bloc he now led was just beginning. The book was banned in the Soviet Union until 1988.

Orwell said he had used Stalin's dictatorship as a model for the personality cult of the all-seeing Big Brother, whose "thought police" force cowed citizens to engage in "doublethink" in order to believe that "War is peace, freedom is slavery."

But some see contemporary echoes in the rule of Russian President Vladimir Putin, who has eradicated political opposition and critical media from the public sphere in his two decades in power, as well as rehabilitating the memory of Stalin.

His invasion of Ukraine in February prompted new laws that made it a crime to publish any information about the war that was at variance with official statements. The Kremlin shuns the very word "war," referring instead to its "special military operation".

Officials in Moscow continue to assert that Russia bears no malice toward Ukraine, did not attack its neighbor, and is not occupying Ukrainian territories that it has seized and annexed.

Last week, Russian opposition politician Ilya Yashin was sentenced to eight-and-a-half years in prison on charges of spreading "false information" about the army -- for discussing evidence uncovered by Western journalists of Russian atrocities in Bucha, near Kyiv, which Russia said had been fabricated.

And last month the Kremlin's spokesman said there had been no attacks on civilian targets, despite wave after wave of bombardment of Ukrainian power facilities that have left millions without heat or light in the depths of winter.

However, the Russian translator of a brand new edition of "1984" sees the parallels with Orwell's novel elsewhere.

"Orwell could not have dreamt in his worst nightmares that the era of 'liberal totalitarianism' or 'totalitarian liberalism' would come in the West, and that people -- separate, rather isolated individuals -- would behave like a raging herd," Darya Tselovalnikova told the publishing house AST in May.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LonsomeSon posted:

Battle of Hürtgen Forest + Battle of the Marshes

warboss putin sending in the legions of finnish swamp trolls :)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some spicy bits here in Russian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dG7Sq-RgyU&t=6259s

Strelkov reposted some stuff from it, and I think others probably too. But this particular bit right here is for OSINT dweebs.

Grubnik claims that all Orlan assignments are controlled directly by the chief commander of SVO.

Some other bonus points is that some of the more professional fighters on Ukrainian side aren't doing it for their country, but only so that they can get out and go be head choppers for some PMC in the west.

The other one is that for them it takes about 20K to outfit a battalion with a full digital radio kit. They've mentioned it before in other videos, but I finally bothered to do the conversion this time lol.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I don't know what those acronyms and abbreviations mean.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

"Orwell could not have dreamt in his worst nightmares that the era of 'liberal totalitarianism' or 'totalitarian liberalism' would come in the West,

p sure that’s exactly what Orwell was dreaming about

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Orlan is just russian for sea eagle apparently.

I didn't even know there were sea eagles. It's a greek thing or something.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Orlan is just russian for sea eagle apparently.

I didn't even know there were sea eagles. It's a greek thing or something.

They're like regular eagles only salty

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are sea eagles birds or fish

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
an exotic species of flightless crabs

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

sum posted:

Because no one's said it yet the answer is the same reason they never took Kiev, which is the Pripyat marshes

i thought they didn't take kiev because they attacked with an incredibly small and fail force for accomplishing that objective

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I cannot stop thinking about the hype video the Azov battalion posted right before the invasion

https://youtu.be/lEn1KIFYgSk

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mila kunis posted:

i thought they didn't take kiev because they attacked with an incredibly small and fail force for accomplishing that objective

It was that and the Ukrainians purposefully flooded the Irpin river which slowed their advance until it was unviable. The Marshes themselves probably didn’t help but they weren’t the central issue.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saying they didn't take Kiev is disingenuous when it was clear that the whole exercise was as a threat ala Georgia and actually capturing it was never on the table to start with. I find it very doubtful that anyone involved seriously thought they could actually storm the city.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

It was that and the Ukrainians purposefully flooded the Irpin river which slowed their advance until it was unviable. The Marshes themselves probably didn’t help but they weren’t the central issue.

Yeah there were some desperate decisions made at the start of this mess.

It's pretty obvious how unprepared everyone was. At least a lot of panic in civilian leadership and regular people.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Saying they didn't take Kiev is disingenuous when it was clear that the whole exercise was as a threat ala Georgia and actually capturing it was never on the table to start with. I find it very doubtful that anyone involved seriously thought they could actually storm the city.

It was pretty unclear until a few weeks in that the Russians didn’t have proper reserves and didn’t have much of a game plan beyond the initial attack. Even so, it seemed like was more likely they would try to encircle the city and cut it off than directly attack it.

Admittedly, at their farthest advance the Russians were threatening most of the supply lines around the city except the highway directly south of it. Even so they needed at least another 100k.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It was pretty unclear until a few weeks in that the Russians didn’t have proper reserves and didn’t have much of a game plan beyond the initial attack. Even so, it seemed like was more likely they would try to encircle the city and cut it off than directly attack it.

Admittedly, at their farthest advance the Russians were threatening most of the supply lines around the city except the highway directly south of it. Even so they needed at least another 100k.

It was pretty unclear to us, on the sidelines. The Russians would've known right from the start it wasn't going to happen and was essentially a political gesture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I could have taken Kyiv in February