Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

resistentialism posted:

Crossbow non-lethality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

We need :xcom: but for df

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did fungus start growing everywhere because i found a water cavern. is that good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

thunderspanks posted:

We need :xcom: but for df

:iit:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

did fungus start growing everywhere because i found a water cavern. is that good

yes. mostly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Super No Vacancy posted:

Yes.

Mostly yes. It will allow you to pasture grazing animals inside and they will not starve. However, it may periodically spawn underground plants, which can cause pathing issues.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I dont think fungus grows on smoothed stone so you can use that to stop tower caps and poo poo from just spontaneous blocking hallways off

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I realize it's still early but has anyone figured out a way to get a full chronological announcement log yet? I really want to play DF but this is holding me back.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

kakapotation!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've just learned that you can't put furniture in minecarts and I am devastated.

edit: Oh no I was wrong, it's just that so much furniture fits in a minecart it takes a long time for the cart to fill and the kick to be triggered lmao

Make sure to disable Minecarts in your furniture quantum stockpile!!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 18, 2022

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I had a Kiwi Cock on the map that was getting hunted so I was getting updates about the Kiwi Cock steady for a few minutes and it made me chuckle.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Finally, it's done.

The reactors provide the power

through the pipe connections

from the pump at the bottom

all the way to the top

Magma successfully moved from level -118 to level 34. That took awhile, it was more of a "let's see if I can actually do this" project then any real need for magma smelters at this point, but it was a good learning experience.

Now time to flood the world with magma

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 18, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay so putting two automated quantum stockpiles next to a Crafter, one for furniture and one for body parts, is pretty baller. They can sit at the workstation all day grabbing a piece of furniture and some shell/bone/etc. and decorating the furniture. You just passively churn value into your entire furniture stockpile.

Particularly in a fort like this which has ridiculously plentiful fish and a nonstop supply of shell.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 18, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I made one of those fancy In Fort Fishing things but everytime a dwarf fishes, it tells me there's nothing to catch. I can see salmon physically enter the location and they still exist in the river it's connected to.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So dwarven traders haven't shown up for a long time at my fort. Is this a known issue?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

deep dish peat moss posted:

edit: Oh no I was wrong, it's just that so much furniture fits in a minecart it takes a long time for the cart to fill and the kick to be triggered lmao

Did you leave conditions on the minecart? I just removed all of them and it instantly dumps whatever's placed into it into the QSP instead of lingering in a state of quantum unavailability

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The ultimate cause of my struggles was just a boneheaded mistake, when I built the rail station I forgot to set a dumping direction.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

StarkRavingMad posted:

Magma successfully moved from level -118 to level 34. That took awhile, it was more of a "let's see if I can actually do this" project then any real need for magma smelters at this point, but it was a good learning experience.

Now time to flood the world with magma

Nice! What material did you end up using for the pumps?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

mst4k posted:

Nice! What material did you end up using for the pumps?

Green glass for the screws and pipes, since it just uses sand and fuel. The rock blocks don't need to be magma safe, just fire safe, so you can use almost anything for those. (I did forget about the fire safe requirement and had to rebuild four pumps because I made them out of brimstone blocks).

My next project is probably to play around with getting mist generators everywhere. Then I may retire this one and do a new embark, maybe try to do a deep fortress down by the magma sea on the next one.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So dwarven traders haven't shown up for a long time at my fort. Is this a known issue?

Are you getting migrants and other race's caravans? If not, you ran into the same bug I did when traders got stuck, I deconstructed the depot, and then nobody ever came to my fortress again besides monster hunters. Couldn't find a solution, so you may need to autosave before your last traders or abandon the fortress, sadly.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Didn't someone figure out a trick for how to make stairs going up when you've already dug out the space you want the stairs to be in?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Didn't someone figure out a trick for how to make stairs going up when you've already dug out the space you want the stairs to be in?

Trick? Just use the build (not mine) stairs designation

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

tokin opposition posted:

Are you getting migrants and other race's caravans? If not, you ran into the same bug I did when traders got stuck, I deconstructed the depot, and then nobody ever came to my fortress again besides monster hunters. Couldn't find a solution, so you may need to autosave before your last traders or abandon the fortress, sadly.

I'm still getting regular visits from elves.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So I get the feeling that the civilization of my current fortress might not be going very well. My fort is rather small, it is still considered a hamlet and we did have roughly only twenty dwarves. Then midway through year 101, one of my dwarves randomly inherited the title of Baroness. Thought it was a bit odd, but whatever, got her some fancy quarters and she is still rather productive, only really giving out edicts on restricting the sale of backpacks every year.

Well, its now the spring of 102, this fort has barely got itself situated and I've now gotten an announcement that my expedition leader has become King (which was rather annoying as he was also my manager, broker and bookkeeper. New expedition leader to pulling those positions, gonna find some actual competent dwarves to fill in all those slots moving forward once I got enough offices made). So now I am running about trying to make all his needs met and not five minutes later do I get migrant wave that has now doubled my population. Exciting times in the hamlet of Spiritlenses. :v:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Trading has been one of the less predictable aspects of the game in my experience, whether that's from a bug or some hidden mechanics I couldn't say. I've had traders ignore me forever, sometimes they come back, sometimes it's all the civs and sometimes it's just one. My least favorite version of this bug is when the outpost liaison just never meets with my forts nobles and drinks in my tavern for years!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

thunderspanks posted:

The space above is solid stone, it won't let me since its "Hidden".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Build an up stair, then dig an up/down stair in the spot above it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

thunderspanks posted:

Leal posted:

You can't directly build single-layer "upwards stairs" as a construction, it forces you to span multiple layers and cancel the ones you don't actually want, so trying to just build a single layer of upwards stairs results in it bitching about a blocked build site on the second layer

The only real sane way I've found was to always do a 3x3 staircase and make sure 1 staircase goes one level past where I actually want it to cut off, so that if I want to extend further upwards later I can use that one upwards staircase as visibility for digging back down/building the rest of the upwards staircases (and cancelling the upper-floor ones that at that point already exist)

building single ramps might also work as a retroactive workaround to bootstrap into access, since you can just place those on one layer, but I haven't tried

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Leal posted:

"Must span multiple elevations"

Can't just build the up portion.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Well, today I learned that it’s no use to have literal binfuls of masterwork gold crafts if your dipshit baron has issued a mandate forbidding the export of boxes, because that means that no bins show up in the trading interface. :psydwarf:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Koba posted:

Well, today I learned that it’s no use to have literal binfuls of masterwork gold crafts if your dipshit baron has issued a mandate forbidding the export of boxes, because that means that no bins show up in the trading interface. :psydwarf:

you can disable the hiding of forbidden exports if you want to gently caress the police it

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I was busy watching an unending battle between a forgotten one made of fire vs one made of glass when a dragon showed up. :gonk:

It managed to kill over a hundred dwarves, before someone finally killed it. Sadly i don't know which dwarf, It was has hard to tell with everything that was going on, the game came to a standstill multiple times just trying to keep track of all the mussel shell =masterpieces= the dragon destroyed.

Nearly a year later, and i still have stockpiles of charcoal on fire.
I love this game.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

you can disable the hiding of forbidden exports if you want to gently caress the police it

The last two dwarves who got got for violating export mandates (still unsure how it happened) were beaten to death by the sheriff, so I don’t think I’ll be risking that.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

If you build some restraints and designate them as dungeons they won't get excited delerium'd by the sheriff

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Turns out monster hunters are pretty useful when they actually do their patrols. Have a spearman and an axedwarf in my tavern that have pretty much cleaned out my caves of trolls, troglodytes and cave crocodiles. Very useful before you have a good military set up.

Now if only I could get them to patrol more consistently...

Edit: Whyyyyyy do the dwarves not respect the god drat burrow rules!
Well Rip that colony, got a 12-strong rodent man invasion during the first year. No way I could deal with that at that point.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 18, 2022

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No. No, this is not "okay".

E: Apparently it spawned in where a bunch of drone antman spearmen have been hanging out for a good while now, including the one who stabbed the previous ash blob forgotten beast. I hope they can take it out without the entire cavern floor burning up too.

Edit 2: It seems fire can't spread down a slope, only up?

Edit 3: So far the other inhabitants of the caves have at least done a bit of damage to it. And it's melted all its own fat off...

Edit 4: Did get killed eventually, by a lucky queen antwoman stabbing it in the head.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 18, 2022

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeesh. After 70+ cave fishmen kills, I think I might have to temporarily withdraw from the cavern zones.

Four problems force our retreat:

1. Poor discipline/tactics. It's really hard to get wardwarfs to station where I want them to be without 1-2 randomly peeling off to fight 12+ cave invaders, which either leads to their doom or fighting in a melee that abandons our positional advantages. Also out of 6 marksdwarves, only 1-2 could get all the right equipment together and stay behind their fortifications.

2. Illegal movement. Civilians will invent reasons to disrespect your safety burrow, even with the hauling labor turned off, everything mass forbidden and traffic designations set to lowest on the battlefield. My only success with this is to literally lock the doors.

3. Armor quality. Even with masterwork copper armor and steel or bronze weapons, we tend to accrue leg and limb fractures in big fights, with 2-4 dwarves injured per 12-16 cave dwellers killed. Despite the material difference, copper has done a good job at preventing penetration from iron and bronze weapons; the only outright kills have been lucky crits from steel spears (stabbed in the face) or dwarves getting solo'd out after a mobility kill. This saves lives, but I'm steadily accruing crutch-bound dwarves who need to be retired from military service.

4. Trauma/miasma. 20-30 dead cave fishmen cut up into 100+ pieces makes a ton of bad thoughts for haulers and troops stationed near the front, and there's no way they're picking up all those severed fishmen parts before it rots into stink clouds.

#1 I can address with better earthworks, and more dedicated trap funnels. If I get a glass industry going, I'll be able to use infinite 10-weapon traps, which should help weed out the fish invaders as they path quite predictably through choke points.

#3 I can handle now that I've finally struck iron, 4 years in. To fully outfit my army, I'm reckoning I'll need 20 steel breastplates, 20 steel helms, and 20 sets of gauntlets/long boots. I think that's about 160 units of iron ore converted into steel. We already have enough steel weapons for everyone, or very near to it.

For #4, I've decided to wait and allow the fishmen to rot down to bones within areas that have been sealed off. A problem is that we have 2-4 dead civilians among them, including our baron and original expedition leader. Guess he won't be banning the export of bins anymore. Will dwarves still get "upset about an unburied friend" thought if I quickly put up some memorial slabs?

I dunno what to do about #2 other than lock everyone inside. Is there such thing as an anti-burrow?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I also wish there was some kind of "this area is dangerous" designation. Probably in two variations: "This area is dangerous, do not perform any jobs involving it whatsoever", and "This area can be dangerous, avoid standing around here unless there is a good reason". The latter mainly for things like children playing make-believe in the middle of the trap tunnels, and keeping wandering dwarves out of waterworks. For younger children, the "avoid this area" could perhaps create "guide child away from danger zone" jobs for nearby adults.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I once had a fort where I ended up with like, 60% children by ratio. I solved it by making a childcare burrow with bedrooms, toys and food, and forcing them all to stay in there. Wouldn't work in this version atm though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
How are any of you getting anything to happen?

I set difficulty to highest, I generated a world with a large land mass, long history, lots of civilizations, highest savagery, etc. I built my fortress literally encircled by goblin pits, I dug down to the bottom level caves. I'm raiding goblins constantly (my dwarves seem to be in no danger of losing despite wearing no armor and using copper weapons) and my miners are running around willy-nilly in the caves with no protection.

No sieges, no monsters in the caves, absolutely nothing has happened for 2 straight years, and nothing has happened in any of the other 4 forts I've made while learning the game. Sometimes monster hunters show up and then just wander the empty caves doing nothing.

On top of that, my dwarves are fine with living permanently in a dorm, eating and drinking nothing but an infinite auto-supply of plump helmets. Most of them have no job. I get traders bringing mostly garbage I could just make myself, but there's no point in trading anyway because my dwarves don't seem to care about anything except being in the rain.

Kinda disappointed, sunk a couple days into learning this game because of the reputation for emergent storytelling in DF but I can't get it to do anything and there's nothing to do. What am I missing?

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 18, 2022