Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i think all of those posts are about the one random guy in gbs who called an anti-AI artist reactionary (?!) and unsubscribed from their patreon

in that case: lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
just found this thread and lolling at cspammers being upset about tech bro pirates infringing on intellectual property rights

but thankfully the big friendly corporations like disney and all the record labels agree with you so these AIs might not be available to the public for long

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
many itt are mistakenly assuming that the pro-ai voices are tech-bros or musk fanboys or whatever. this is completely wrong. we simply hate artists and are cheer-leading their demise

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

projecthalaxy posted:

Pro-germ theory voices want us to stop bleeding the humours like the Old Masters did

stfu

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i'm tired of the ai art style already. next

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
why is everyone so mad about midjourney and stable diffusion anyway. ChatGPT has stolen every book in existance and probably all the code on github. i was expecting to be able to mock a bunch of angry authors and computer janitors but all if find are people mad about the theft of their deviant art portfolio

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Mercrom posted:

just found this thread and lolling at cspammers being upset about tech bro pirates infringing on intellectual property rights

but thankfully the big friendly corporations like disney and all the record labels agree with you so these AIs might not be available to the public for long

Nice thing about Stable Diffusion is it's there forever since they released the github project. Can't take it back if they wanted to. People can train their own models and release them on bittorrent or whatever.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Mercrom posted:

why is everyone so mad about midjourney and stable diffusion anyway. ChatGPT has stolen every book in existance and probably all the code on github. i was expecting to be able to mock a bunch of angry authors and computer janitors but all if find are people mad about the theft of their deviant art portfolio

The only thing I have heard from my fellow coders is how great ChatGPT is at writing tedious scripts quickly. You won't be able to code and maintain some hugely scalable website like Twitter with it, but anything that saves time and avoids tedium is welcomed by developers.

I don't think any of them are worried about computers taking their jobs, since the hardest part of our jobs is problem solving, scalability, dealing with non-technical people wanting to make impossible features, etc.

AI art is similar, but clearly there are some very real use cases where you can make money with no art skill. I feel like that would be much less likely with coding.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mercrom posted:

the computer touchers got it out of their systems lolling at ms's 'github copilot' ai months ago

here it is directly copy pasting a famous function from the quake source code:
https://twitter.com/mitsuhiko/status/1410886329924194309

RPATDO_LAMD has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Dec 16, 2022

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Mercrom posted:

Writers were more prepared for this event to happen. Between two short stories made by Borges, library of babel the shows a world where every single thing is written, and Pierre Menard shows where, it's not so much the story, but also the context around a story that give it a lot of meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Library_of_Babel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Menard,_Author_of_the_Quixote

And music, whooo, imagine telling somebody they have to make an original 4 note bar using only the thirteen notes of a single pitch, and despite how big that number is, it's kind of isn't (13*13*13*13 = ) 28'561 combinations. Most people don't put that music value into a single note sound. D isn't the happy note; G isn't the sad note. So the same note 4 times in a row CCCC, or F#F#F#F#, doesn't have that much meaningful difference.

"Enough monkeys at a typewriter will remake the works of Shakespeare."

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 20:16 on Dec 16, 2022

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
And just remember this article by Peter David from 2011 exists

Quote:
Just a few years down the line, as computer technology becomes more and more sophisticated, the requirement for drawing ability will fall away. Storytelling–writing–will still be a requirement, because people will always want and need stories. But drawing? Faw. Clip files can be fed into scanners, artwork manipulated and tweaked so that it’s no longer simple theft but, instead, a new creation.

For that matter, Motion Capture may well be modified into cheap, “Stop” Motion Capture. All you’d need is the pattern for Spider-Man’s costume, plus someone to body model it for you, and you’ve got your wall-crawler.

The need for artists who can “only” draw will lessen and diminish.

https://www.peterdavid.net/2011/01/31/words-and-pictures/

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

So capitalist are using their accumulated capital to deskill production and proletarianize skilled labor and the solution is to further enclose the commons? Makes perfect sense to me, surely the capitalist won't use their wealth to purchase the newly enclosed commons and rent them back to the same skilled labor that original produced them. This time we'll surely be successful in dismantling the master's house with his own tools, yep!

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

learning to draw hands is not very hard and will put you above 100% of the ai algorithms out there as well as roughly 90% of living artists

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Update: Just received a seasonal thank-you card from the artist I was considering ending my patreon subscription to. They included a cute little keychain in this one. I figure, that little extra bit of effort? That's worth keeping the subscription going a little bit longer, at least.

now to see what pictures of hosed up keychains i can generate

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Artstation update:

They've added the exact 'please don't scrape my art' tag that they said they were gonna add in their post yesterday
https://magazine.artstation.com/2022/12/noli-tag/

of course from a legal perspective this tag does literally nothing.
either AI training is fair use and they can ignore the tag or AI training is copyright violation and it's a violation even without the tag
and it's impossible to block right-click save-as either way

the community response is more protests that it's not turned on by default:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
the only halfway decent argument ive heard for AI being exempt from fair use is that it will push the entire field of AI training towards open source piracy. that sounds cool but seems too optimistic

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Mercrom posted:

At least Disney and the RIAA occasionally cut a check to an artist.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
speaking of which...
https://twitter.com/fractalcounty/status/1603823756908036099

the gofundme already has $100k
of course that's small potatoes compared to disney/riaa money so i doubt they'll do much to make the hellworld of copyright law any worse

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Artstation update:

They've added the exact 'please don't scrape my art' tag that they said they were gonna add in their post yesterday
https://magazine.artstation.com/2022/12/noli-tag/

of course from a legal perspective this tag does literally nothing.
either AI training is fair use and they can ignore the tag or AI training is copyright violation and it's a violation even without the tag
and it's impossible to block right-click save-as either way

the community response is more protests that it's not turned on by default:

It should be off by default so artists who died long before it was implemented will have their art scraped.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
copyright should instanlty expire at the death of the author imo
especially if a corporation other than the original author 'owns' it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Abolish intellectual property.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gonna feed my art into the AI on purpose to become part of the godhead

Every time you see a foot hosed up in just a certain way, I live on

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

copyright should instanlty expire at the death of the author imo
especially if a corporation other than the original author 'owns' it

Death + 18 years so residuals can take care of your minor children.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

speaking of which...
https://twitter.com/fractalcounty/status/1603823756908036099

the gofundme already has $100k
of course that's small potatoes compared to disney/riaa money so i doubt they'll do much to make the hellworld of copyright law any worse

Artists are some of the dumbest motherfuckers alive as it turns out

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Two questions:

Why did OpenAI cripple ChatGPT so hard over the past week culminating in the last update?

How did they do it? I don’t know how these models work, so I’d love to know how they got it to go into those Nice HR tone spiels when refusing requests, and refusing what seems like all requests.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tree Reformat posted:

I'll admit, I feel a bit of the schadenfreude "pride goeth before the fall" I felt back during the AlphaGo debut. Watching that master Go player going from smug "lol it'll be a triumph for the researchers if it ekes out a single win" to almost completely getting dunked on and eating humble pie afterwards was just :kiss:

I just love every AI advancement in every domain that people used to think could "never" compete with human warms my heart. It forces us to realize there's nothing truly special about being the meat machines we call humans, no "soul" that cannot ultimately be replicated or even improved upon in silicon and wires.

All Hail The New Flesh

Dumb

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Frosted Flake posted:

Two questions:

Why did OpenAI cripple ChatGPT so hard over the past week culminating in the last update?

How did they do it? I don’t know how these models work, so I’d love to know how they got it to go into those Nice HR tone spiels when refusing requests, and refusing what seems like all requests.

That was the entire purpose of the free beta. They wanted people poking at it from a million different angles and getting it to say 'bad' stuff so they could hack up some ad-hoc solutions to all those openings and block them up somehow.
After this period they are going to charge for it as a business product, once they're confident that they've covered most of the edge cases and it won't tell people how to hotwire cars or cook meth.

A lot of it is probably done by just watching the input and injecting additional text as context, or monitoring the output and throwing out + re-running especially bad generations, but I don't know exactly.

e: this extremely "good" analogy is currently top 5 trending on artstation

(it's a 12 page comic)

RPATDO_LAMD has issued a correction as of 06:56 on Dec 18, 2022

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's not an ad-hoc solution - chat-gpt explicitly has as part of its architecture a reward model and a reinforcement learning scheme which trains the model to rank possible generated responses.
for the beta model, they used on the order of 30K prompts and responses and had humans rank them to provide annotations

they're going to train another model or fine-tune the current one off presumably a subset of the prompts and responses generated by the public beta

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ok drat, that's more interesting then
their solutions for previous stuff like dall-e were way more hacky and ad-hoc
like when people complained that the dataset was obviously biased and the ai only made images of straight white males unless specifically instructed to make something else, they started secretly injecting stuff like ", a black woman" at the end of text prompts

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
One interesting thing about ChatGPT is that its answers on certain topics make it incredibly clear that most of its data comes from content that's effectively ad copy. You can ask it questions like "Should I clean my home's ductwork?" and instead of something like "no, that's a scam, and the EPA says don't do it," it'll just regurgitate bullet points from SEO blog articles telling you to do it every few years. Same thing when asking questions about some really common solar panel scams.

You can prod it into giving you better information, but you really have to already know the endpoint you're looking for to get there.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That was the entire purpose of the free beta. They wanted people poking at it from a million different angles and getting it to say 'bad' stuff so they could hack up some ad-hoc solutions to all those openings and block them up somehow.
After this period they are going to charge for it as a business product, once they're confident that they've covered most of the edge cases and it won't tell people how to hotwire cars or cook meth.

A lot of it is probably done by just watching the input and injecting additional text as context, or monitoring the output and throwing out + re-running especially bad generations, but I don't know exactly.

e: this extremely "good" analogy is currently top 5 trending on artstation

(it's a 12 page comic)

I don't like this Red Letter Media fancomic.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is AI art any less ethical than taking money to draw fanart of intellectual property you don't own? Seems to me there should be a law that lets corporations levy fines against people who do that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

super sweet best pal posted:

Is AI art any less ethical than taking money to draw fanart of intellectual property you don't own? Seems to me there should be a law that lets corporations levy fines against people who do that.

Also what about copying a dead artists style in some kind of sick "tribute"?
That's theft

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

machine learning has always been "do it wrong faster then adapt"

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Not at all. You're just reacting to new stimuli by demanding a rejection of them and a conservation of a possibly imagined more virtuous past. I'm just trying to figure out if that's 1950 or 1650.

You are correct but you are forgetting that most everyone in this thread is culturally a market capitalist like this poster:

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Belatedly, it doesn't seem surprising that it's easy to antagonize people watching a career field that, for many of them, has involved decades of work, get pinched by capitalism and techbros doing capitalism and techbro things.
That doesn't mean they're good, or that I'm supposed to just roll over and go 'well yep guess it was my turn' when the hellworld grinder comes for another aspect of my life. It just feels like any response any artist gives that isn't 'lmao you're right I should go gently caress myself' somehow gets twisted into this weird persecution narrative, as if they shouldn't be upset they're being devalued; hellworld doing hellworld stuff hurts people. That's the problem. I don't think the human grinder warrants cheerleading, regardless of how dramatic the response may be perceived to be.
They don't understand that the idea of getting paid for non-materially productive behavior (industrial agri etc) is a lie to get them to jump into the grinder.

They are already in it and getting exploited and discovering this is emotionally painful.

They see something have its market value decreased and automatically assume its real value has as well.

They see the market value of their products decrease and automatically assume their value as a human has as well.

This market value as human value is ingrained as part of their capitalist culture and divorcing them from it is painful.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Don't practice doing a fort night dance on your friends grave in front of them while they are dying of a terminal disease. It's rude.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

FFT posted:

machine learning has always been "do it wrong faster then adapt"

can't wait for the next ai winter so the computer fetishists will shut the hell up

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

shrike82 posted:

it's not an ad-hoc solution - chat-gpt explicitly has as part of its architecture a reward model and a reinforcement learning scheme which trains the model to rank possible generated responses.
for the beta model, they used on the order of 30K prompts and responses and had humans rank them to provide annotations

they're going to train another model or fine-tune the current one off presumably a subset of the prompts and responses generated by the public beta

The Flesh betrayed by the Flesh. A tail old as time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Armadillo Tank posted:

They see something have its market value decreased and automatically assume its real value has as well.

They see the market value of their products decrease and automatically assume their value as a human has as well.

This market value as human value is ingrained as part of their capitalist culture and divorcing them from it is painful.

🥹

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Armadillo Tank posted:

You are correct but you are forgetting that most everyone in this thread is culturally a market capitalist like this poster:

They don't understand that the idea of getting paid for non-materially productive behavior (industrial agri etc) is a lie to get them to jump into the grinder.

They are already in it and getting exploited and discovering this is emotionally painful.

Artists... the real capitalists... :aaaaa: