Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

tbh that's just because what is mid-atlantics just becomes wcw after ownership changes hands to Turner and a split from the NWA

its also kind of hard to watch because of how legally screwed up the TV rights situation got

you've defintiely seen a lot of Memphis talent (Jerry Lawler or Jimmy Hart) but you're going to associate them with WWF or WCW because it just never could escape the collapse of the territories (it tried in forming in the USWA with WCCW from Dallas, but that was also damned)

I should also mention the Jarretts because you know its kind of hard not to mention them in regards to Memphis and surviving influences. Because goddamn.

The only show I have problems tracking down is wide world of wrestling. Nearly all of season 1 of championship wrestling is on YouTube and the nwa episodes Peacock doesn't have are on YouTube.

I have not seen Jimmy hart or Jerry Lawler at all. I haven't seen any Memphis wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm told Jimmy Hart was a different creature in Memphis than he was in WWF, etc.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

The only show I have problems tracking down is wide world of wrestling. Nearly all of season 1 of championship wrestling is on YouTube and the nwa episodes Peacock doesn't have are on YouTube.

I have not seen Jimmy hart or Jerry Lawler at all. I haven't seen any Memphis wrestling.

You probably have. It's basically impossible to not have heard or seen Lawler, since he was basically WWF's top color announcer for like 25 years until around the start of pandemic. Jim and Jim Ross are the iconic WWF announce team of the late 90s and early 00s. Lawler was the top babyface of the promotion and a high candidate for best wrestler to never win a major world title. Also had a feud with comedian Andy Kaufman which blew up nationally for a time (and was later in the Kaufman biopic Man in the Moon)

Jimmy Hart was a manager who while in Memphis was a heel, and would generally be managing whatever heels were aligned against Lawler. He eventually moved to WWF and would eventually manage Hulk Hogan before he left to join WCW.

Hart was a musician before he ever got into wrestling so he actually wrote a ton of music for ring intros and promos. Like Shawn Michaels' Sexy Boy.

Anyway, this is years of what working with Hulk Hogan will do to a man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXSHI02oQdk

Dawgstar posted:

I'm told Jimmy Hart was a different creature in Memphis than he was in WWF, etc.

and here is Jimmy in better times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFk0viRI7Ok

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

^thank you for posting my favorite song

im thinking about all the old footage the wwe owns that they will probably never release and its getting me really hot!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I know who Jerry "The King" Lawler the announcer is, but not his wrestler side. I absolutely do not know who Jimmy Hart, but googling I recognize his picture. I might eventually get into WWF stuff, but right now I'm just watching WCW.

Suplex Liberace posted:

^thank you for posting my favorite song

im thinking about all the old footage the wwe owns that they will probably never release and its getting me really hot!

I feel this way about a lot of old media.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 18, 2022

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I know who Jerry "The King" Lawler the announcer is, but not his wrestler side. I absolutely do not know who Jimmy Hart, but googling I recognize his picture. I might eventually get into WWF stuff, but right now I'm just watching WCW.

good news then! hes there in 1994ish

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

As far as I can gather in Memphis Jimmy Hart was his own character with his own stuff going on sorta like Mark Sterling. Once he hit WWE he was nothing but a loud voice and interference enabler for other acts.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 18, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ChrisBTY posted:

As far as I can gather in Memphis Jimmy Hart was his own character with his own stuff going on sorta like Mark Sterling. Once he hit WWE he was nothing but a loud voice and interference enabler for other acts.

I think his stable was called the First Family? All I know is at some point he managed Koko Ware and Bobby Eaton and they had 'We Hate School!' t-shirts and I would desperately love to have one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Lawler was the top babyface of the promotion and a high candidate for best wrestler to never win a major world title.

Lawler won the AWA World Heavyweight title. It might not have been at the heights it was during the 70s and early 80s, but it was still meaningful when he won it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mr Hootington posted:

JESUS CHRIST THAT MAGNUM TA AND TULLY MATCH

WTF

yeah, it's great right?

You might have better luck searching for NWA World Wide Wrestling rather than "Wide World of Wrestling" since that was the name used post-1978.

I have some episodes on my youtube channel from 84, 87 and then some 92 and 93 ones. They are a bit hard to upload to youtube because they will get randomly blocked, Main Event is the same way.

Anyway, you can find them here by searching https://www.youtube.com/ClassicWrestlingstuff/

I'll see if I can get the 1985 episodes up as well. The quality isn't the greatest, as you'd probably expect from really old tape ripes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MrBling posted:

yeah, it's great right?

You might have better luck searching for NWA World Wide Wrestling rather than "Wide World of Wrestling" since that was the name used post-1978.

I have some episodes on my youtube channel from 84, 87 and then some 92 and 93 ones. They are a bit hard to upload to youtube because they will get randomly blocked, Main Event is the same way.

Anyway, you can find them here by searching https://www.youtube.com/ClassicWrestlingstuff/

I'll see if I can get the 1985 episodes up as well. The quality isn't the greatest, as you'd probably expect from really old tape ripes.
That account is you? I've watched plenty of your uploads already. I really appreciate what you have done!

I used this 1985 playlist Someone created using your videos and 4WrestlingFans. I'll be wrapping up 1985 this week and moving onto 1986.

But yeah the match was brutal. On one hand still not a huge fan of the blading, but they really put on a show of kicking the poo poo out of each other. The chair at the end was unexpected.

Edit: I also enjoyed the landel and Terry match

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 18, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ok so 1986 is starting off confusing. Ole has a hurt leg and Dusty is now holding buddy landel's title. Did I miss some poo poo or is this behind the scenes stuff?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok so 1986 is starting off confusing. Ole has a hurt leg and Dusty is now holding buddy landel's title. Did I miss some poo poo or is this behind the scenes stuff?

Buddy had a disagreement with management (iirc the kind of disagreement that can be summarized as "stop showing up late and high, rear end in a top hat"), so they made him drop the title immediately after he won it. Which is a shame, he was supposedly set for a Nature Boy vs Nature Boy feud with Ric Flair if he kept his head on straight.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Buddy had a disagreement with management (iirc the kind of disagreement that can be summarized as "stop showing up late and high, rear end in a top hat"), so they made him drop the title immediately after he won it. Which is a shame, he was supposedly set for a Nature Boy vs Nature Boy feud with Ric Flair if he kept his head on straight.

That does suck. I kinda liked the buddy/JJ weird relationship and landel was a good heel.

Edit: not a lot of of the 1986 episodes of World Wide Wrestling available. I know at the end of this year a bunch of shows switch titles so I need to figure all that out too.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 27, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

That does suck. I kinda liked the buddy/JJ weird relationship and landel was a good heel.

Edit: not a lot of of the 1986 episodes of World Wide Wrestling available. I know at the end of this year a bunch of shows switch titles so I need to figure all that out too.

Few wrestlers have ever had such opportunities handed to them as Buddy and said "yeah, nah." I think this is not long before he just leaves without notice.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Lol

The 80s rule

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
There is a period during the early part of 1986 where Ric Flair calls his dick "Space Mountain" and constantly invites Baby Doll or women in general to ride it if they are over 18.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think it's at the '92 Royal Rumble that Mr. Perfect keeps asking Flair if he can ride Space Mountain with him.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Mr Hootington posted:

There is a period during the early part of 1986 where Ric Flair calls his dick "Space Mountain" and constantly invites Baby Doll or women in general to ride it if they are over 18.

I thought the Space Mountain thing was a death throws of WCW era Ric Flair thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
NWA World Championship Wrestling Air date January 25, 1986
https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1608188618572455936?t=utw7k64poMmUMg-mBwF4dA&s=19
https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1608187875757117442?t=IZN20aB0o4qHEvdfZ2_Q1Q&s=19
A show or 2 ago he also talked about riding space mountain and how babydoll couldn't handle it.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Honestly if I had thought of calling my dick ‘Space Mountain’ first I would have driven that poo poo into the ground for decades and don’t even try to tell me you wouldn’t either.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1608225538338062336

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

This isn't entirely true it was originally going to be a quick roll up and fast count not the leg drop, per Dave's previous reporting.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Regardless of how fast or slow the count was, having Sting take the loss there is one of the stupidest, self-destructive decisions. You build up for 18 months, you show the restraint to follow through with the plan of having him stay up in the rafters, you have the big bad heel who has basically defeated all adversaries (Luger's brief WCW title reign aside) running scared, you build the guy as the avenging hero, and in his first match back, he gets the poo poo knocked out of him and he loses?

WCW deserved to go out of business.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It’s a coincidence, but the rise and downfall of WCW directly tracks to them gaining and then losing the greatest wrestling game developer of all time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

Regardless of how fast or slow the count was, having Sting take the loss there is one of the stupidest, self-destructive decisions. You build up for 18 months, you show the restraint to follow through with the plan of having him stay up in the rafters, you have the big bad heel who has basically defeated all adversaries (Luger's brief WCW title reign aside) running scared, you build the guy as the avenging hero, and in his first match back, he gets the poo poo knocked out of him and he loses?

Hogan cheating to get a cheap fast count and Sting then firing up after Bret Hart comes out and dispatching Hogan would be much better than them trying to do a match. Hogan vs Sting was going to take a lot of smoke and mirrors to be watchable and was going to take Hogan having some out to take the loss. The original plan was pretty good to that end.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

edogawa rando posted:

"That doesn't work for me, brother."

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

"That doesn't work for me, brother."

It gets asked every so often what the point of no return was for WCW going out of business and for me that point is putting a contract with creative control in front of Hogan.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Watching WM9 and saying "yes this is what I want my company to be like"

Yeah they were hosed

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

It gets asked every so often what the point of no return was for WCW going out of business and for me that point is putting a contract with creative control in front of Hogan.

Hogan with creative control led the company to many profitable years including the most profitable in the history of wrestling to that point. Hogan without creative control never comes to WCW.

They could have simply not re-signed Hogan in 98 or not offered him creative control on that contract, or booked around it. But signing Hogan was very important for the company in 1994.

WCW was mostly very bad in 1993 so it's not like signing Hogan torpedoed something great creatively.

Edit: And Hogan's creative control clause was rarely used. He used it to avoid doing a job to Flair in 1994. It came up in the match with Jarrett and lawsuit in 2000. It sort of came up in the match he lost to Goldberg where he was promised he'd end the streak for doing the job, but gave that to Nash to set up the Fingerpoke. But that just showed you could work with Hogan to some degree and get around it. Everything else was just Hogan being smarter than everyone in the room. Starrcade 97 wasn't him using creative control, he politicked to Nick Patrick.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 30, 2022

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm of course making that statement with the benefit of a lot of hindsight.

When they originally signed him I probably would have done the same thing in their position.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

robinson would have counted right!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Just having creative control in your contract is a massive deal, no matter how often you technically use it, because it absolutely influences the writing and booking. "Should we book Hogan to lose to the new guy?" "Nah, no point, he'd never go for it. Give Hogan the win, its not worth the hassle.". Technically true that the creative control clause wasnt actually used by hogan there sure, but, especially if you've already been shown to be willing to use it to kibosh things you dont like, it means they're mainly going to offer you things they know you'll like because there is no point spending time planning something they know there is a decent chance you'll override.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SiKboy posted:

Just having creative control in your contract is a massive deal, no matter how often you technically use it, because it absolutely influences the writing and booking. "Should we book Hogan to lose to the new guy?" "Nah, no point, he'd never go for it. Give Hogan the win, its not worth the hassle.". Technically true that the creative control clause wasnt actually used by hogan there sure, but, especially if you've already been shown to be willing to use it to kibosh things you dont like, it means they're mainly going to offer you things they know you'll like because there is no point spending time planning something they know there is a decent chance you'll override.

Kevin Sullivan had a whole interview about booking around Hogan thanks to the creative control.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin and Precious are great. Lmao at the disinfectant being sprayed everywhere. Them being an actual married couple is great too

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Kevin Sullivan had a whole interview about booking around Hogan thanks to the creative control.

There is no doubt they had to book around Hogan, but on this very page we have an example of how booking would center around Hogan even without creative control in Wrestlemania 9. And from 1990 through his WWF exit there's plenty of examples of the company having to placate him or him doing things to sabotage others. Creative control formalizes that power but any company using Hogan is going to deal with his ability to manipulate them.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Did anyone ever try sitting down with Hulk Hogan and having A Talk? Maybe about how his actions were hurting the long term stability of the company? Sometimes it helps to have a good heart to heart chat, it can really go a long way.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

After hogan giving his idea of how an angle should go down, they should have told him that doesn’t work for them brother

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
More like oldkayfabeless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sandman McMahon posted:

Did anyone ever try sitting down with Hulk Hogan and having A Talk? Maybe about how his actions were hurting the long term stability of the company? Sometimes it helps to have a good heart to heart chat, it can really go a long way.

An equally interesting question is whom he might have listened to for such a talk.