Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So I had a large swamp biome that had 0 crypt spawns in it. Has anyone else had a problem like this? After an hour of searching for real I turned on Dev commands to make it easier to search and there were none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It definitely happens. You'll also occasionally find tiny ones with 5 jammed in there.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the 2 swamps closest to my base had none.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Looks like the public test branch is getting some updates:

https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1603715726493229056

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

quote:

* Mistlands Seeker event tweaked (It will no longer trigger in Meadows, Swamps, Mountains or Ocean. It will no longer spawn Seeker Soldiers and the amount of Seekers & Broods has been rebalanced)
* Seeker AI tweaks (They should now circulate a bit and not be on the player constantly to give them some time to catch their breath)
* Seeker Soldier and Gjall spawn rate tweaked (Was spawning quite frequently earlier. It’s now much similar to Troll spawns in Black Forest)
:hai:

quote:

* Hare running speed slightly decreased
:yeshaha:

quote:

* Mating hens no longer sound like boars
:dafuq:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The tweaks look good, no more bug raids on non-endgame bases is a nice change for co-op servers and hopefully the Gjall spawn rate decrease is significant...they spawned so much outside our base lol

Kinda wish they would demonstrate what they want us to do with the ballistas -- it's nice that they seem to be more efficient and effective at actually killing monsters but they still shoot friendlies...

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I am looking forward to being able to explore Mistlands instead of being stopped by gjall and two soldiers after a short trek... and whoops, it's night already.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
After the Great Chicken Massacre where a bug got in my meadows base, plus getting impaled by my own ballista at the start of a naked corpse run, I'm looking forward to these tweaks, too.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The chickens are a sore spot for me.

I spent the $3,000 to get the eggs and then immediately afterwards the chicks got murdered by the bat spawn somehow.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I had to give in and use an online map tool to try to find the merchant.

drat, he's far off and I haven't explored basically anything of the world yet.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

The chickens are a sore spot for me.

I spent the $3,000 to get the eggs and then immediately afterwards the chicks got murdered by the bat spawn somehow.

We had an amazingly placed cloudberry spawn in the middle of our lox pen that made feeding them super easy. Then bats spawned on me while I was looking in my inventory and their attacks on me destroyed all the berry bushes. It was so stupid I just had to laugh.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do floors have a mechanical effect at all?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yes they stop you building campfires.

(And I think they also allow you to build floor decorations like rugs? I don't know if I ever tried putting a rug not on the floor but it's possible)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes they stop you building campfires.

(And I think they also allow you to build floor decorations like rugs? I don't know if I ever tried putting a rug not on the floor but it's possible)

Got it. So might just make a paved floor with the ground texture if I want. Thanks.

On a different question, is there some mechanic that keeps you from digging too deep? I'm trying to dig out a copper vein entirely and having trouble. After awhile I just get to a point where I pickaxe and don't see the ground move at all. Previous veins I had either mined out normally or used a troll to do it, so this is new for me.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ravenfood posted:

Got it. So might just make a paved floor with the ground texture if I want. Thanks.

On a different question, is there some mechanic that keeps you from digging too deep? I'm trying to dig out a copper vein entirely and having trouble. After awhile I just get to a point where I pickaxe and don't see the ground move at all. Previous veins I had either mined out normally or used a troll to do it, so this is new for me.

The terrain can only be modified so much up or down. Once you hit that limit you can't go any further. It used to be 8 meters but I'm not sure what it is now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

pik_d posted:

The terrain can only be modified so much up or down. Once you hit that limit you can't go any further. It used to be 8 meters but I'm not sure what it is now.

Well gently caress. Guess I'm mining this out the old fashioned way then.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ravenfood posted:

Well gently caress. Guess I'm mining this out the old fashioned way then.

It's still better to dig around it, then break the lowest level of the copper node that you can.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

To clarify the previous answer, the general rule for various fire objects is that they need to be on ground or rock.

So a wooden floor wouldn't be able to support a campfire, but ...

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can also cheat this by building the item with the support it needs and then deleting the support.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i had a troll fish jump onto my karve and bounce around while i frantically tried to grab it with a full inventory. trolled indeed.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ptkfvk posted:

i had a troll fish jump onto my karve and bounce around while i frantically tried to grab it with a full inventory. trolled indeed.

Probably wasn't the size of one you had already so it didn't stack, absolutely owned by the Valheim inventory system

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't find the swamp fish to save my life

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Eifert Posting posted:

I can't find the swamp fish to save my life

I don't want to be rude but are you looking on the "shore" of the swamp, like where it meets open water, or are you looking in the swamp itself? You'll want to look along the shore for any jumping/floating/glitched fish, then just fish there with your sticky bait

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What are the true benefits for trying to catch fish other than pike, perch, and tuna? Mounting them?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So, I had rented a dedicated server running V+ for a friend group but then had some chronic idiot destroy all interest in it in four days flat by rampantly powergaming, advancing the world too quick, using cheaty clientside mods, and breaking the only three hard rules I had set (Don't beat unbeaten bosses without group approval, don't bring in poo poo from SP, and start naked so we can all advance together), and somehow not understanding how all this was bad and blaming me for not telling him more explicitly not to, but I shouldn't rant. Even tho he's gotten the boot, he's soured the mood for everyone and nobodies been on in a week, with most people directly telling me they're no longer interested because of.

But yeah it's still got a bit under three whole months of runtime left and it feels bad to have it sitting idle doing gently caress all, would anyone be interested in me turning it into a goonserver or something? Do we have a Valhiem goondiscord? I just want to feel like the cash I dropped on this has not been wasted honestly.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
That sucks man. If you do make a goon server I'd play on it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What are the true benefits for trying to catch fish other than pike, perch, and tuna? Mounting them?

If you follow the Perch line of unlocks you'll eventually unlock the highest stamina food in the game. The Mushroom Omelette is almost as good though.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 18, 2022

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Jawnycat posted:

But yeah it's still got a bit under three whole months of runtime left and it feels bad to have it sitting idle doing gently caress all, would anyone be interested in me turning it into a goonserver or something? Do we have a Valhiem goondiscord? I just want to feel like the cash I dropped on this has not been wasted honestly.

That fuckin sucks that you had someone poo poo on your server.

Put that in PGS with a general outline for progression, and I'm 100% sure there will be some goons that will play on it, though! (I'd be one of them)

reresearcher
Feb 24, 2004

Jawnycat posted:

My friend group lost steam on a fresh run around the swamp. I'm hankering to get my Valheim fix. I'd be down to join a fresh/somewhat progressed goon server.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Is there a go-to mod for snapping farming items onto a grid? I know FarmGrid exists but I don't think its been updated for more than 2 years now; unless it still works fine even after all the recent patches?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Is there a go-to mod for snapping farming items onto a grid? I know FarmGrid exists but I don't think its been updated for more than 2 years now; unless it still works fine even after all the recent patches?

Yes FarmGrid still works

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
If you use thunderstore instead of Nexus, they even have a filter that only lists mods that are working for the Mistlands update. Pretty handy.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Synastren posted:

That fuckin sucks that you had someone poo poo on your server.

Put that in PGS with a general outline for progression, and I'm 100% sure there will be some goons that will play on it, though! (I'd be one of them)

I'll make a thread in a day or so then and yell about it here, will be a fresh shiny new world. Totally missed my brain that PGS was a thing.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Jawnycat posted:

I'll make a thread in a day or so then and yell about it here, will be a fresh shiny new world. Totally missed my brain that PGS was a thing.

Been meaning to get back into this game. Would be down to start over on a goon server!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My group is playing through a fresh world and we just got back to the plains. I forgot how inexcusably badly designed Growths are. Enemies that inflict a speed debuff that lasts 10 seconds should not be able to reinflict it every 8 seconds. That's just stunlock with extra steps, and having enemies that can stunlock is poo poo game design.

Ghost of Elon Musk
Dec 18, 2022

Jawnycat posted:

So, I had rented a dedicated server running V+ for a friend group but then had some chronic idiot destroy all interest in it in four days flat by rampantly powergaming, advancing the world too quick, using cheaty clientside mods, and breaking the only three hard rules I had set (Don't beat unbeaten bosses without group approval, don't bring in poo poo from SP, and start naked so we can all advance together), and somehow not understanding how all this was bad and blaming me for not telling him more explicitly not to, but I shouldn't rant. Even tho he's gotten the boot, he's soured the mood for everyone and nobodies been on in a week, with most people directly telling me they're no longer interested because of.

That sucks. I've just created a (newbie) server a few days ago and would like to invite you and your pals (and anyone else in this thread) to join. We've only killed Elkythr so far, so if you start naked, you won't miss much. I plan to keep the server up at least until the major content patch or until some jerk ruins the server, which hopefully wont happen.

If we want to make this the official goon Valheim server, that's cool with me.

Ghost of Elon Musk fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 19, 2022

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Ghost of Elon Musk posted:

That sucks. I've just created a (newbie) server a few days ago and would like to invite you and your pals (and anyone else in this thread) to join. We've only killed Elkythr so far, so if you start naked, you won't miss much. I plan to keep the server up at least until the major content patch or until some jerk ruins the server, which hopefully wont happen.

Still gonna throw mine up tomorrow after I finish writing the PGS OP, cuz don't want my money to have been toileted, but looks like you'll be running vanilla and I'll be running vanilla+ so that works out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

For you Valheim+ people, what's the biggest benefit it actually brings? I was thinking about setting it up on my server but I wasn't convinced it was worth the hassle

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

For you Valheim+ people, what's the biggest benefit it actually brings? I was thinking about setting it up on my server but I wasn't convinced it was worth the hassle

Crafting from chests is a godsend, no more having to juggle junk in and out of your inventory while crafting. That and being able to make chests hold more crap is so nice. And it's all configurable down to the exact level you want, every feature is separately toggleable. Want a wood chest to be able to hold like 100 stacks? Or less than default? Can do.

Otherwise it's basically just an all-in-one for a buncha QoL mods, a buncha mechanic toggles and a ton of numbers fudging to your specific tastes. The advanced building modes are real nice too, if fiddly to use.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Growth stunlock can be somewhat managed by rolling. Rolls aren't slowed.