Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Slavvy posted:

It was pretty unclear to us, on the sidelines. The Russians would've known right from the start it wasn't going to happen and was essentially a political gesture.

idk if it's fair to call to a political gesture if they legitimately expected to just walk in and turn over the government. they figured they were dealing with the 2014-era Ukrainian military and they might have been right if they were

e: vvvv yeah they didn't want to take it because they didn't think they'd have to

speng31b has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Dec 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Russians didn't expect to take Kiev.

They threatened it, negotiations started, russians pulled back, Ukrainians executed their own negotiator, now were coming up to a year of this thing.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 07:57 on Dec 18, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Saying they didn't take Kiev is disingenuous when it was clear that the whole exercise was as a threat ala Georgia and actually capturing it was never on the table to start with. I find it very doubtful that anyone involved seriously thought they could actually storm the city.

One theory floated in C-SPAM was that Russia would or effectively already did encircle Kyiv, and the local population would turn on the Ukrainian army, preferring instead to be taken by Russia. Or food and ammo would simply run out in Kyiv despite still open supply lines, because of a refusal to believe press reports that the highways were still open. This might have been even more optimistic for Russian victory than Russia’s own theory past day 2 or so, but for some, hope sprang eternal.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Saying they didn't take Kiev is disingenuous when it was clear that the whole exercise was as a threat ala Georgia and actually capturing it was never on the table to start with. I find it very doubtful that anyone involved seriously thought they could actually storm the city.

I imagine that the Russians thought Ukraine would fold like they did during 2014 and that the whole operation would be a walkover. If they expected the kind of resistance that they ran into then the forces and supplies that were allocated were completely inadequate.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

One theory floated in C-SPAM was that Russia would or effectively already did encircle Kyiv, and the local population would turn on the Ukrainian army, preferring instead to be taken by Russia. Or food and ammo would simply run out in Kyiv despite still open supply lines, because of a refusal to believe press reports that the highways were still open. This might have been even more optimistic for Russian victory than Russia’s own theory past day 2 or so, but for some, hope sprang eternal.

There was a point when several highways were indeed cut (not all of them though) so it wasn’t necessarily an impossibility that the Russians could encircle the city as it was unclear what the Russians had in reserve (the infamous conga line). In the end, they didn’t but I don’t know if it was a indefensible call either in terms of future possibility.

Basically though in reality the Russians didn’t have a broader game plan after that and even if they have brought in more reserves and cut the remaining highways, they would need far more forces to secure their supply lines.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:10 on Dec 18, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

There was a point when several highways were indeed cut (not all of them though) so it wasn’t necessarily an impossibility that the Russians could encircle the city as it was unclear what the Russians had in reserve (the infamous conga line). In the end, they didn’t but I don’t know if it was a indefensible call either in terms of future possibility.

I don’t find it terribly weird that some people thought encirclement might occur one day to come. It was more the people insisting Kyiv was already surrounded before the end of February when there was plain video and non-state reporting of the most important routes still being open: highways west to Lviv and south to Odessa. It was weird to argue that Kyiv was surrounded when the 40 and 95 were open and running heavy traffic.

It made me wonder what sources they consumed, as it was even more unfoundedly boisterous than literal Russian MoD reports of the situation.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t find it terribly weird that some people thought encirclement might occur one day to come. It was more the people insisting Kyiv was already surrounded before the end of February when there was plain video and non-state reporting of the most important routes still being open: highways west to Lviv and south to Odessa. It was weird to argue that Kyiv was surrounded when the 40 and 95 were open and running heavy traffic.

It made me wonder what sources they consumed, as it was even more unfoundedly boisterous than literal Russian MoD reports of the situation.

In particular, the E40 West had tank battles occurring on it so and at least it was threatened in the east so I got to stop you there, but at very least nothing not close to 95 West at the high point of the assault.

That said, it does really sound like you are bitter they were thinking too highly of the Russians beyond being wrong about “effective” encirclement. It is because some people just hate the United States and its proxies, what can I say?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Nah, more that it was weird that people believed and propagated claims that Russian formations were doing better than Russia ever claimed and made the assertion that Kyiv was encircled in February. I just wonder what accounts they follow to view and then believe such a warped version. Might explain some of the whiplash when it turned out to be untrue that Russia surrounded Kyiv, and it was impossible to deny it any longer.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Here we go again

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Nah, more that it was weird that people believed and propagated claims that Russian formations were doing better than Russia ever claimed and made the assertion that Kyiv was encircled in February. I just wonder what accounts they follow to view and then believe such a warped version. Might explain some of the whiplash when it turned out to be untrue that Russia surrounded Kyiv, and it was impossible to deny it any longer.

i think people just self selected towards the information that confirmed their bias, at the time almost everyone i knew (even or especially pro Ukraine people) were also convinced Russia was steamrolling Ukraine.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

i think people just self selected towards the information that confirmed their bias, at the time almost everyone i knew (even or especially pro Ukraine people) were also convinced Russia was steamrolling Ukraine.

After it kicked off I expected the war to last maybe two weeks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cspam was assuming Kyiv supremacy when the russians really only had Kyiv superiority

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Lostconfused posted:

Orlan is just russian for sea eagle apparently.

I didn't even know there were sea eagles. It's a greek thing or something.

they're huge and downright intimating irl they just stare you down

Only registered members can see post attachments!

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
has anyone made the mediocre "when they go Lwow we go high" joke yet?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

January 6 Survivor posted:

when they go Lwow we go HIMARS

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Kiev in spring 22 has a lot more vulnerable weak points than in spring 23. They had what, half a million kids and old people they had no sustainable infrastructure to support. Now all these people have gone to Poland. And I am sure more households have some food rations and ramen stashed in their basement so the city will withstand encirclement a lot longer than 1 year ago.

That's why Chinese military planners don't plan for the small war scenario with Taiwan or taking the outer islands, it's show hand or nothing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
on the other hand kiev in spring 2022 had a functioning power grid, which doesn't look to be the case in spring 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I doubt they're gonna go for Kiev when they don't even try to hit the leadership

I'll believe they have the will to drive on Kiev again when they drop a missile on Zelensky. Until then its still at least partially a media circus.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

I doubt they're gonna go for Kiev when they don't even try to hit the leadership

I'll believe they have the will to drive on Kiev again when they drop a missile on Zelensky. Until then its still at least partially a media circus.

Hypersonic missile

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

thank you

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

lobster shirt posted:

if the russians were able to credibly threaten lviv they would have to take over like 2/3 of ukraine and would basically have won the war already

Sounds like they should do this imo

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
probably should have started with that plan before getting a lot of skilled troops killed

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

unless you want a forever war, it's generally a poor idea to kill the people who can negotiate a peace

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

unless you want a forever war, it's generally a poor idea to kill the people who can negotiate a peace

i'd normally agree but the current administration is all in on endsieg

an extremist ukrainian government combined with an US administration that can feel the waning of its empire is a very bad combination for this ever ending peacefully

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

lmao russia has commited so hard to doing the iraq war they even got their own toby keith

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Is he empowered to negotiate a peace or would the SBU disposition him the moment he even thought of jt

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lol deradicalization a.k.a. "Take off your swastika patches and quit throwing up the roman salute when cameras are around you idiots!"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

if the russians were able to credibly threaten lviv they would have to take over like 2/3 of ukraine and would basically have won the war already

Maybe the Ukrainians are just trying to rile up Poland to get them involved, like when they shot Poland with a missile and blamed it on Russia.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

i'd normally agree but the current administration is all in on endsieg

an extremist ukrainian government combined with an US administration that can feel the waning of its empire is a very bad combination for this ever ending peacefully

any alternative ukranian government wouldn't be any less extreme

Isentropy posted:

Is he empowered to negotiate a peace or would the SBU disposition him the moment he even thought of jt

dunno, but he's the closest thing they got

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Slava Bankman-Ukraini

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Maybe the Ukrainians are just trying to rile up Poland to get them involved, like when they shot Poland with a missile and blamed it on Russia.

Their head of the armed forces said it was the only way they could win a war that went into 2023, so it’s a possibility

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:02 on Dec 18, 2022

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

gradenko_2000 posted:

Slava Bankman-Ukraini

Sucking Bandera Unendingly

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

I could have taken Kyiv in February

yeah you just need a 10 health unit and press capture for two turns.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

any alternative ukranian government wouldn't be any less extreme
So then it actually doesn't matter if the Ukrainian government exists or not.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Tankbuster posted:

yeah you just need a 10 health unit and press capture for two turns.

Lmao at not holding a capture point with a 10-model unit of Space Marines.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
this war uses advance wars rules you dummy.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dear Mr. Putin,

I hope this letter finds you well. My name is Timmy and I am writing to you from Kingston. I have been learning about different countries and their militaries in school, and I am particularly interested in the Canadian Mechanized Brigade Groups (CMBGs).

I have learned that CMBGs are a flexible and self-sufficient unit that can be deployed on a wide range of missions, including peacekeeping, peace enforcement, and high-intensity conflict. They are equipped with a mix of armored and non-armored vehicles, which allows them to operate in different terrain and weather conditions. They also have a mix of combat, combat support, and combat service support units, which enables them to sustain themselves and conduct a wide range of activities.

I have also learned that Canadian doctrine and tactics are designed to be flexible and adaptable. Canadian forces place a strong emphasis on training and developing the skills of individual soldiers and small units, which allows them to operate effectively in a variety of situations. They also place a strong emphasis on working closely with other nations and organizations, which helps to build strong partnerships and enhance the effectiveness of joint operations.

I think these are some really important advantages that the CMBGs and Canadian doctrine and tactics offer. I am writing to you to ask if Russia might consider reorganizing its ground forces along the lines of CMBGs and adopting some of the principles of Canadian doctrine and tactics. I understand that this is a complex and sensitive issue, and that ultimately it is up to the government of Russia to determine the most appropriate organizational structure and tactics for its own military forces based on its own national security needs and priorities. However, I hope that you will consider the potential benefits that CMBGs and Canadian doctrine and tactics could offer to Russia's military capabilities.

Thank you for your time and attention. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Timmy

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Majorian posted:

Lmfao

When even Vox is raising an eyebrow at this level of MIC sponsorship, you know you’ve failed at being subtle.

matter of time until ukrainian army uniforms are like nascar drivers and just covered with lockheed, rahtheon, bae logos and so on

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

So then it actually doesn't matter if the Ukrainian government exists or not.

no, it definitely does matter since there's a much better chance that the current government would sign a peace in the name of self-preservation than if the government consisted of a bunch of blood-gargling open nazis

and if there is no government at all then it would be all but certain that russia would have to deal with an unknown number of blood-gargling nazi splinter groups for an indefinite period of time, which they pretty obviously wouldn't want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tankbuster posted:

this war uses advance wars rules you dummy.

putin's leader power is poo poo; he doesn't even know the health of his own units. sending 2hp tanks up against fresh mechs lol