Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Funnily enough the kids animated movie Zack did is a big complement to 300. Where 300 is ultimately about propaganda and using nationalistic fervor to trick people into signing up for war, the owl movie is about how war is a bitch and it leaves everyone broken, disfigured and with PTSD. The bad owls even look like spartans, it's great.

Snyder Snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

snyder snipe spider

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Zokari posted:

whats the difference between a meltdown and a psychotic meltdown

the psycho screeching violin music plays in your head when you have a psychotic meltdown

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh great, a guy has come into our thread again to tell us how obsessed we are with the guy he's obsessed with, and to tell us 300 was ABOUT using propaganda to trick people into war (this is true because it retroactively makes the movie less embarrassing)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gonna say what I said last time: even if you're right, and 300 was a brilliant satire that was so subtle nobody noticed the satire except you, satire that is so subtle nobody notices the satire except you is bad satire and is in effect not satire at all. The intent behind it is worthless if you cannot effectively communicate said intent.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

satire is contained in the reading, not the text. in satire you take something to an extreme in order to destroy it. there is no way to write it to be idiotproof without undermining the satire itself - if you as author have to step in to explain the satire, you're no longer letting the satirised object destroy itself, and it's just another polemic

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

McCloud posted:

Funnily enough the kids animated movie Zack did is a big complement to 300. Where 300 is ultimately about propaganda and using nationalistic fervor to trick people into signing up for war, the owl movie is about how war is a bitch and it leaves everyone broken, disfigured and with PTSD. The bad owls even look like spartans, it's great.

Snyder Snype

wow they even got their own gangtags.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

satire is contained in the reading, not the text. in satire you take something to an extreme in order to destroy it. there is no way to write it to be idiotproof without undermining the satire itself - if you as author have to step in to explain the satire, you're no longer letting the satirised object destroy itself, and it's just another polemic

So 300 is a satire because you chose to read it that way

That (a) is what I said, and (b) means nothing because nobody else read it that way. Like I said.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
i dread to imagine the standard of discussion in that subforum if there are people that genuinely think 300 is a satire.

grow the gently caress up and make your way up through the sight & sound list.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

tristeham posted:

i dread to imagine the standard of discussion in that subforum if there are people that genuinely think 300 is a satire.…
I will note that back in the days of cable I turned randomly to 300-in-progress and did think it was a parody of 300 rather than the movie itself for some time, maybe 20 minutes.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

loquacius posted:

So 300 is a satire because you chose to read it that way

That (a) is what I said, and (b) means nothing because nobody else read it that way. Like I said.

all satire is satire because you choose to read it that way. "bad satire" is a nonsense concept

the text is the text; there is no such thing as an "intent" to convey. it is your onus as reader to read the text and take responsibility for your thoughts

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

Gonna say what I said last time: even if you're right, and 300 was a brilliant satire that was so subtle nobody noticed the satire except you, satire that is so subtle nobody notices the satire except you is bad satire and is in effect not satire at all. The intent behind it is worthless if you cannot effectively communicate said intent.

The movie opens with the supposed heroes of the film tossing babies into a eugenics pit. I'm sorry this isn't clear enough for you, I guess, but I'm not particularly interested in going through the whole "is it or isn't it satire" discussion for the umpteenth time. I just wanted to point out that the owl movie is in many ways a sibling movie to 300 and that it's neat

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
a sibling movie? the gently caress

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

all satire is satire because you choose to read it that way. "bad satire" is a nonsense concept

the text is the text; there is no such thing as an "intent" to convey. it is your onus as reader to read the text and take responsibility for your thoughts

So 300 is equally effective as satire to Triumph of the Will, is what you're saying

:hmmyes:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

(desperately attempting to change the subject voice) hey has anyone heard of an eighties kung fu movie about three chinese women who go to the united states to bust up a drug ring the book im reading doesnt have a title and im curious if its actually a hong kong or taiwan movie which would undermine the writers implication that the movies procommie propaganda

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

McCloud posted:

The movie opens with the supposed heroes of the film tossing babies into a eugenics pit. I'm sorry this isn't clear enough for you, I guess, but I'm not particularly interested in going through the whole "is it or isn't it satire" discussion for the umpteenth time. I just wanted to point out that the owl movie is in many ways a sibling movie to 300 and that it's neat

Stating for the record that THIS poster is arguing that it was intended as satire

Do you think Frank Miller intended this as satire when he wrote it, and how does that square with the traitor character's concept being "a guy who should have been thrown into the eugenics pit"

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the same book just cited iron man 3 and the transformers as movies about government authority bad guys who orchestrated conspiracies that the heroes must take down struggling to remember how this applies to iron man 3 and the only way i can think of making it work with transformers is if you accept the terry vandelay cined interpretation as the mainstream one

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Who cares what Frank Miller intended

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

now hes talking to some kenyan censor who blames hey arnold for making kids gay which seems like a really specific accusation and im annoyed that no effort is being made to explain it like who was even watching hey arnold in 2017

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Tbh it's really funny that the movie of the month threads never make it past a single page

pretty much every time i read the op then don't get round to watching the film by the end of the month. they did clue me onto '*corpus callosum' way back when which is an incredible early 2000s art film about owning a bunch of graphics workstations and not knowing what to do with them

tristeham posted:

i dread to imagine the standard of discussion in that subforum if there are people that genuinely think 300 is a satire.

grow the gently caress up and make your way up through the sight & sound list.

'stop thinking for yourself and defer to a top 100' is bad advice whether it's the imdb list, the oscar best pictures or the sight and sound top 100

i did watch 'a matter of life and death' last month though, it was good but i preferred colonel blimp.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Some Guy TT posted:

(desperately attempting to change the subject voice) hey has anyone heard of an eighties kung fu movie about three chinese women who go to the united states to bust up a drug ring the book im reading doesnt have a title and im curious if its actually a hong kong or taiwan movie which would undermine the writers implication that the movies procommie propaganda

Not sure but honestly it doesn't sound like the kind of film mainland China was making in the 80s, afaik they mostly did the Jet Li/Shaolin temple stuff back then. What the heck book are you reading that doesn't give a title

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

McCloud posted:

Who cares what Frank Miller intended

I would imagine the guy arguing a Frank Miller adaptation was secret satire would

Anyway watch Starship Troopers, it actually is the thing you think 300 is

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Not sure but honestly it doesn't sound like the kind of film mainland China was making in the 80s, afaik they mostly did the Jet Li/Shaolin temple stuff back then. What the heck book are you reading that doesn't give a title

red carpet and yeah it gives titles for every other movie it discusses and has loads of references but this specific factoid comes from an interview conducted by the author i had the same thought but know frustratingly little about what the chinese film industry looked like in the eighties compared to hong kong and taiwan since most contemporaneous sources blend all three of them together if only there was a good serious book i could read on the subject hint hint

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

loquacius posted:

I would imagine the guy arguing a Frank Miller adaptation was secret satire would

“If I was Paul Verhoeven, and I had made this movie, I probably would have won the fricking festival with it,” he laughs. “Because everyone would be like, ‘Oh my God, it’s genius.'”

probably a coincidence, who knows

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

you know i gotta be honest i find the starship troopers is satire argument to be about as convincing as the 300 is satire argument which is to say not very

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

He's right, Paul Verhoeven is a better satirist :hmmyes:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

you know i gotta be honest i find the starship troopers is satire argument to be about as convincing as the 300 is satire argument which is to say not very

I am willing to accept this because I am not particularly invested in Paul Verhoeven's legacy

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I mean Starship Troopers definitely had its share of critics and internet idiots claiming it was fascist too

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

Excellent self awareness here, I gotta say

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i think both movies are more accurately described as tongue in cheek than full on satire which is to say theyre not brilliant but theyre absolutely running a bit

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

i think both movies are more accurately described as tongue in cheek than full on satire which is to say theyre not brilliant but theyre absolutely running a bit

I agree that satire isn't quite the right word for what they're doing and that they're not "intended" to be taken at face value, i disagree on STT not being brilliant because it absolutely is :colbert:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

McCloud posted:

Excellent self awareness here, I gotta say

The fact that Verhoeven was open about the source material being poo poo and diverged from it significantly for his film rather than making some cryptic remarks in interviews makes a p big difference yeah

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

loquacius posted:

I need a gigantic note saying satire requires clarity of purpose otherwise some cretin on twitter will be uncomfortable. When they make a 40k movie, every 30 seconds they should have Siri or Alexa tell you that the faction with skulls everywhere and yells loudly at everything is bad!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

when’s the last time you watched ST?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Starship Troopers is absolutely purposeful satire about fascism at the end of history

e: Buenos Aires was a false flag

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

I need a gigantic note saying satire requires clarity of purpose otherwise some cretin on twitter will be uncomfortable. When they make a 40k movie, every 30 seconds they should have Siri or Alexa tell you that the faction with skulls everywhere and yells loudly at everything is bad!

Gonna point again at Starship Troopers, a movie which did not do this and yet didn't have fratboys uncritically quoting it for a decade

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

Gonna point again at Starship Troopers, a movie which did not do this and yet didn't have fratboys uncritically quoting it for a decade

Lmao really, you sure about that

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

loquacius posted:

To be fair there are 100% a lot of people who didn't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

when’s the last time you watched ST?

two months ago ive been on a tear lately watching random movies recommended by the thread

speaking of which in bruges was all right dont really get watching it multiple times and i especially dont get thinking the gay stuff is a problem when everyones constantly saying midget while clearly knowing they shouldnt