Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just catching up on the last few pages of the thread, I feel like nobody would have a problem with Veteran if they had to fight hordes without a power sword and it 100% effects their best in slot ranged weapon choices, wouldn't be any complaints about how all-around strong veterans are if they had to put away their bolter/mk12 to clear a horde with a combat knife/axe.

Cowcaster posted:

lol where the hell does it say that i must've completely missed it all this time
Peeps had to datamine the values, it really feels like something that should be mentioned ANYWHERE ingame that the zealot has iframes for slides and veteran takes x2 damage while sprinting.

Internet Explorer posted:

The only class that I haven't enjoyed is the Psyker. It just doesn't feel good. A lot of ink has been spilled on why, and it's all true, but I have one to add. With all of the other classes, if someone goes down I feel like I can get them back up. Grenades, charges, etc., but with the Psyker I just kind of go "uhhhhh can someone get them."
Psyker is my favorite and can cleanly do damnation difficulty, however it requires feats and blessing FAR MORE then any other class, a veteran can grab any green power sword any-blessing top tier gun and hit a random feat selector and go nuts, Psyker has very specific blessings they want on very specific weapons and a feat selection that only allows a couple different variations with alternative choices that aren't 100% useless like warpcharge talents or quell movement speed.
As mentioned by others the Psyker is top tier when it comes to reviving allies but again requires those VERY specific blessings and feats.

Black Griffon posted:

Played the new map. Nothing special, but it's fun.

New map is neat, but on difficulty4 and higher the mid and finale events are ballbusters, the events never let up on the enemy respawns even if you can't reach the servoskull unlike the other events of it's type, then had one run lost at the finale during a failure cascade because I couldn't pick anyone up because it spawned dozens upon dozens of gunners on different elevations and they could all shoot down past the holes in the railings and teammates respawn on the low ground in the open, if I was on Psyker instead of Zealot I'd of been able to still block the bullets and pull off the rescues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Black Griffon posted:

In case this got drowned out by the vet/zet debate I'm currently skipping past: started at 3 around 12 I think playing with my friend, didn't feel truly confident playing 3 with pubbies until 18-20 (not because of my own skill level but because I might have to make up for someone's deficiencies).

Thanks lol, 14 ATM with low 200s weapons but they feel like nerf toys against bosses

I'm enjoying the zealot class right now though but it does seem like everyone else eats its lunch. I'm usually the last one standing though so whatever lol

Estel
May 4, 2010

Fishstick posted:

But you have 4x more chance of a pubbie hitting a Daemonhost, so it balances out.

Edit: Also is it me or doees it seem like the extra dogs mutator is implemented weird? It seems to just spawn doubles of dogs whenever dogs would normally spawn, not like, a cavalcade of constant dogs.

Sharkopath posted:

Ive still always heard the sound cue, myself. I think it really is just spawning two dogs everytime it nornally would spawn one. Simple modifier.

I've played a couple rounds with this modifier and I've seen both things. Sometimes you hear one howl and 2 dogs appear and sometimes it's just a stream of dogs harassing your team. In one case a bunch of dogs was the cause of a wipe, 5 or 6 dogs just jumping everywhere while we were trying to defend against an horde some Ogryns and some specials.

uncalled for!
Dec 26, 2006

I complained a few times about background choices being meaningless but after dozens of hours as the group's dog killer I totally get why every psyker has a career in law enforcement

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

toasterwarrior posted:

Been trying to get that Ogryn 70-man knockdown penance tonight using diff 5 missions, didn't have luck with me. Funnily enough, one dropped me into a legit game (Drayko, even) and we made it all the way to the finish for my first diff 5 win. That said, I'd legit love to see Ogryn gameplay at that level that doesn't use shield because jfc you practically spend the entire game without toughness from all the shooters, and god help you if you don't have a good Veteran counterfiring. Being mobile cover deffo saved that run but I'll be damned if I can make Power Maul and others work on diff 5.

get a pre-made group and do the Repair mission that involves replacing the coolant. After you finished the final objective and are heading to the Valk, don't kill any of the pox walkers spawning on your right and set up on the bridge close to the Valk. It helps to have two Ogryns for this, one with a shield, just start pushing and holding the horde there for a bit till it looks like the spawns are petering out. Press your Charge button and you should get it! Did it last night with goons to get it done.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Peeps had to datamine the values, it really feels like something that should be mentioned ANYWHERE ingame that the zealot has iframes for slides and veteran takes x2 damage while sprinting.

Do you have a link to a post or video with this information? I'm really :psyduck: about this insanity, its very fatshark

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

uncalled for! posted:

I complained a few times about background choices being meaningless but after dozens of hours as the group's dog killer I totally get why every psyker has a career in law enforcement

it vas comink right at me!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

and veteran takes x2 damage while sprinting.

what

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

dogstile posted:

This is why I get annoyed at vets who don't take the 8% chance to get grenades on elite kill perk.

Oh higher difficulties, unless you're absolutely unlucky, it'll end up giving the whole party more names than one every 60 seconds will. Plus it means I don't have to take nades off the floor, win win.
It shares its spot with the "mark ult targets for your teammates" feat though, which is also insanely useful. Personally I just take the 60 seconds one and leave all the grenade boxes on the floor for my mates.

Anyways, this feat for the Zealot:

is way more useful than it first appears, because despite what the description says it also prevents you from getting stunned by ranged attacks!
I used to only pick Holy Revenant, but when testing heavy blades I tried this feat out and it's insane how much smoother it feels when you can just run around shooters without getting stunlocked. (though shotgunners and reapers will still push you back) Not sure if its bugged or the description is incomplete, but hopefully its the latter because it helps the Zealot a lot for doing their job.

And then one for you plasma brains out there, I found out that you can animation cancel every stage of the reload to save yourself like 4 seconds:
https://i.imgur.com/bFE5NyR.mp4
I've done it with little micro-sprints here, but I'm sure there's other ways to do it too. Though note that if you do it too early it resets the stage, so it requires a little practice to get it right.

Exodee fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 18, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

When I posted that Vet is a lot better than Psycher and Zealot, I'm not saying that the other classes don't have cool fun and effective things or that they can't contribute. They can, it's just far easier with the vet. Counterfire + Unwavering focus is just an insane combo for taking out packs of ranged units and something I don't really think the psycher can match. It's a combo that makes you take 75% less ranged damage, do 50% more damage, and highlight/wallhack all elites and ranged units until they are all dead (duration refreshes with every scab shooter or elite killed). Also you're probably recovering a lot of toughness for every elite you kill with Confirmed Kill. I'm actually kind of ok with this as, in theory, melee swarms can neutralize this (here is where the power sword is a little nuts). It would just be nice to see the psycher have similar tools (and zealot for melee stuff). The zealot is close with this 75% when critting, but it only lasts for something like 4 or 5 seconds compared to the almost unlimited ranged duration of the vet ability. Also the zealot basically gives up extra toughness recovery for that damage reduction.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Psyker is my favorite and can cleanly do damnation difficulty, however it requires feats and blessing FAR MORE then any other class, a veteran can grab any green power sword any-blessing top tier gun and hit a random feat selector and go nuts, Psyker has very specific blessings they want on very specific weapons and a feat selection that only allows a couple different variations with alternative choices that aren't 100% useless like warpcharge talents or quell movement speed.
As mentioned by others the Psyker is top tier when it comes to reviving allies but again requires those VERY specific blessings and feats.

This is a good point and definitely something I'm missing since my vet, zealot, and psycher are all in their low 20s so I'm basically just comparing perks and abilities rather than how they interact with late game blessings.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 18, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Exodee posted:

It shares its spot with the "mark ult targets for your teammates" feat though, which is also insanely useful. Personally I just take the 60 seconds one and leave all the grenade boxes on the floor for my mates.

While I've only really played Vet and Ogryn, that feat is incredibly overrated. I'd much rather be getting nades back then being shown poo poo that is someone else's job to deal with. I can see it having use for like, the Psyker on your team if there is one? Since they can know to prep BB before they even have a sightline but I'll take the feat that benefits 3/4 of the team instead of 1/4 (since you as Vet can already see the highlights without the feat).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I still haven't seen the new map

great system

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hoping eventually the game just lets you select a zone you want to play from a map of the city and each zone has as many maps/difficulties/modifiers open as the entire map currently does.

That would be better.

Similar to the shop, their base design assumption as to how many options would be acceptable to players is way lowballed and theyll have to up it to make it feel better.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 18, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Exodee posted:

Eh, in actual good groups everyone knows where the specials are anyway.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sharkopath posted:

Hoping eventually the game just lets you select a zone you want to play from a map of the city and each zone has as many maps/difficulties/modifiers open as the entire map currently does.

That would be better.

or just have a lobby list like every other game including fatshark's

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

or just have a lobby list like every other game including fatshark's

I get the idea of having a smaller rotating pool of maps with custom events going all the time and I think its a totally functional idea, there just needs to be more available.

Also it just makes more sense visually if the map of a city is the map of the city subdivided into zones and then you click deeper and pick which mission in that zone you want to do.

Looks weird that all the missions re just all over the map.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I have a brand new 30 psyker. Any tips for builds? I really do like the idea of the force sword survivability build.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s not so much a build as “get a force sword that can block bullets and the one feat that lets you block things with peril instead of stamina”

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I've never gotten that force sword trait, so I'm forced to just methodically pop heads behind cover when things get too hairy, but that seems to work too.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah the perils melee blocking talent is surprisingly good. I thought it'd only absorb a few hits but it actually makes you quite tanky. And it synergizes perfectly with my lasgun psyker build, as I don't normally build much peril outside of headbursting.

Anyway that's my build, psyker with Mk12 lasgun and force sword, aka. discount veteran.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

there should be a set of special daily missions which have bonuses/hazards or whatever but the entire map pool should be available.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

You could also probably make do with there just being the 12(?) ish maps available like currently but each of those is a map where only the location and modifiers are set and you pick the difficulty yourself. Also splitting it up into difficulty means theres bad times where for a whole 40 minute block only the same 1 or 2 missions are available for the difficulty you want to play. Real bad feel.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Evil Kit posted:

While I've only really played Vet and Ogryn, that feat is incredibly overrated. I'd much rather be getting nades back then being shown poo poo that is someone else's job to deal with. I can see it having use for like, the Psyker on your team if there is one? Since they can know to prep BB before they even have a sightline but I'll take the feat that benefits 3/4 of the team instead of 1/4 (since you as Vet can already see the highlights without the feat).

dogstile posted:

Eh, in actual good groups everyone knows where the specials are anyway.
It's not always easy or even possible (ie you're neck deep in a horde) to call out where they are in the heat of things even with voice comms, that feat makes it super simple/not needed. Plus my teammates are all fairly self-sufficient, so everyone can pick off specials if needed. But on the other hand I can see it not being as useful in a pub sure, was just saying that feat is good as well so I'm never annoyed whenever a Vet has it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It seems to me that the modifiers all come in waves. Like, at one time there are like 4 lights out missions available, and then I see none for days at a time. Lately it's all dog missions. I don't understand why they don't at least mix it up and always have a variety available.

e: also screw high intensity and grimoire missions. I hate it when those are all that are available at the difficulty level I want to play at.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It seems to me that the modifiers all come in waves. Like, at one time there are like 4 lights out missions available, and then I see none for days at a time. Lately it's all dog missions. I don't understand why they don't at least mix it up and always have a variety available.

There should be way more modifiers too, like the whole game was built around this design of variety coming from a good healthy dose of modifiers that change gameplay up but the only ones that are permanently around are easy mode and hard mode, which don't even really change the gameplay, they could do better and more original ones, and then besides those two the rest come as just special events happy hour style that you can miss completely.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 18, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It just really loving sucks when there's like 2 or 3 missions to play on the difficulty you want and one of them is a grimoire run one is high intensity and the other is the same map you just ran.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Exodee posted:

It's not always easy or even possible (ie you're neck deep in a horde) to call out where they are in the heat of things even with voice comms, that feat makes it super simple/not needed. Plus my teammates are all fairly self-sufficient, so everyone can pick off specials if needed. But on the other hand I can see it not being as useful in a pub sure, was just saying that feat is good as well so I'm never annoyed whenever a Vet has it.

Let me clarify: I would rather not see bright yellow outlines when I'm dealing with managing a horde, as I can easily already tell what I need to deal with because it's in front of me. If there are too many specials nearby it just makes it hard to parse what I'm dealing with usually. Anything outside of that range is pointless for me to know and distracting, and if it's behind me I'm not seeing that anyway so it being highlighted in yellow is also pointless as I can't see it. I say this as a primarily pre-made group playing player, and call outs are a thing there which invalidates it as a feat even more tbh. I can see it having marginal use in pubs, but I'd still rather just be getting back grenades.

Also the majority of specials that require immediate attention all have sound cues as well. Trappers, Bombers, Snipers, Dogs, Mutants, Flamers etc all provide you immediate notice they're gonna be doing their thing and you should watch out, and the sound design in the game is tight enough you can generally tell where they're coming from.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 18, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i dont think your gonna convince people that a wallhack ability isn't great

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Yeah, if the yellow outlines are really that distracting then sure. It's not been an issue for me so far because battles rarely take place on a flat plain, but I guess it could happen sometimes.
It's been super useful for my teammates though, and personally I hardly ever notice the 5% grenade on elite kill feat if I run Zealot myself, so different strokes and all that

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Exodee posted:

Yeah, if the yellow outlines are really that distracting then sure. It's not been an issue for me so far because battles rarely take place on a flat plain, but I guess it could happen sometimes.
It's been super useful for my teammates though, and personally I hardly ever notice the 5% grenade on elite kill feat if I run Zealot myself, so different strokes and all that

Not super scientific but we sort of paid attention to that for one map and my buddy noticed one grenade.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

explosivo posted:

It just really loving sucks when there's like 2 or 3 missions to play on the difficulty you want and one of them is a grimoire run one is high intensity and the other is that loving plague auspex one.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

hemale in pain posted:

i dont think your gonna convince people that a wallhack ability isn't great

Not as good as just rebinding your spot to your attack key as a group and always having a full team of grenades, tbh.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogstile posted:

Not as good as just rebinding your spot to your attack key as a group and always having a full team of grenades, tbh.

It doesn't generate that many grenades, though.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

boredsatellite posted:

I love and hate lights out. I find it fun but it also turns half of my team into terrified morons

I hate high intensity though. Makes matchmaking a chore if you are trying to do quickplay

How are you supposed to see anything in lights out missions? There's no flashlights for some reason

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Seems like somebody found some data mined scripts for Ogryn_Gun_Lugger and Veteran_Squad_Leader.

I imagine thats where pistol and sword stuff is gonna go, close ranged veteran subclass.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sharkopath posted:

It doesn't generate that many grenades, though.

5% per person on elite kill is quite a lot if you're all actually in coherency on higher modes.

Malice and lower yeah sure, higher modes you'll generate more from the sheer numbers it throws at you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh hey, squad leader gets krak grenades and people already have pulled out the animation, somehow.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My issue with the team wallhack vs team nade feats is that if anything I wish pubbies used their nades more. Zealot nades are the best

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

Oh hey, squad leader gets krak grenades and people already have pulled out the animation, somehow.

Owns. Baby ogryn box grenade for killing elites/unyielding maybe?

vvv Helllllll yeah

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Owns. Baby ogryn box grenade for killing elites/unyielding maybe?

Looks like a sticky grenade that does a big round ball explosion, kills a mauler in one hit.