Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
pay homeless people $2/bag to eat your leaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

that article really confounds things by combining the "just don't worry about it and leave the leaves!" people doing the absolute minimum work with the "mulch your leaves and put them back!" people doing the absolute maximum

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cool av posted:

that article really confounds things by combining the "just don't worry about it and leave the leaves!" people doing the absolute minimum work with the "mulch your leaves and put them back!" people doing the absolute maximum

Why is America so polarized??

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Salt Fish posted:

Somebody moved into a house about 200m from me and installed an anti-loitering ultrasonic pinger that's attached to a motion detector. Now whenever I walk down the sidewalk to get to the trail I get to have a headache lmfao

It's like 100+db of 20Khz sound, I'm old as poo poo and I can easily hear it its madness. Humans are such dogshit.

ahh holy poo poo there’s one at the end of my block too. it triggers on proximity and sounds like a rising tinnitus tone. it really sucks!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

meanolmrcloud posted:

ahh holy poo poo there’s one at the end of my block too. it triggers on proximity and sounds like a rising tinnitus tone. it really sucks!

Um I don't want to dox myself but does the yard have a piece of rustic farm equipment in it?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
some urbanism channel i followed a while back seems to have morphed into supply side solve all people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3gtZcTdXaI

corporate landlords and investors buying everything in sight? that's good, we need more rentals. not everyone "needs" to own a home (please ignore how your life is like at the mercy of landlords espescially as you age)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbbBweYfzTo

we need more supply (which is true), we need to deregulate more and your lying eyes telling you all new developments get snapped up by investing class is fake, even if it wasn't its good actually

these attitudes piss me off and irritate me in a way that i can't quite articulate, even more because it's coming from people who are purporting to be on "my" (priced out millennial) side but i can intuitively feel really aren't. maybe i'm wrong

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Charles_SEO/status/1603720167116181504

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dont poo poo where you .... erm, nvrmind :stare:

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

Minecraft Holmes posted:

why do so many idiots love The Worst Building Material

Unironically I think it's because In their minds they think the containers clicks together like Legos. I've spent enough time around "planners" to know they want the world to be completely modular and plug and play. This is a virtuous design to them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

this looks like a crew cabin on a boat

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Throb Robinson posted:

Unironically I think it's because In their minds they think the containers clicks together like Legos. I've spent enough time around "planners" to know they want the world to be completely modular and plug and play. This is a virtuous design to them.

The part I don't get is if the container is in good enough shape to use as a house why wouldn't it already be in use as a shipping container?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

The part I don't get is if the container is in good enough shape to use as a shipping container why would it be turned into a house

wonder how much money you can get out of a shipping container monthly via using it as a container vs extracting rent from a tenant in it

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

The part I don't get is if the container is in good enough shape to use as a house why wouldn't it already be in use as a shipping container?

they don’t use used containers. they use new containers to build houses.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm interested in modular and prefab housing, but shipping container housing is like the joke Etsy version of that.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bar Ran Dun posted:

they don’t use used containers. they use new containers to build houses.

Bitcoinishliy: "no that's too stupid it doesn't work like that. You have to be explaining it wrong."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

it had a good initial use case. a big part of the initial push was build out containers as emergency homes that could be delivered worldwide for emergency response.

thing is when you modify a container. it’s no longer a container. You can’t ship it in the stacks as a container anymore unless you get the modifications approved by a classification society thus you have to secure it to a flat rack. Thus nothing can be stacked above it. thus it’s not cheap anymore.

now the folks trying to do this, they were told this. there are some viable industrial use cases stack roof stack makes a quick cheap garage you’ll see in container depots a lot. but for housing lol. and that’s not even getting into having to pull the floors because of the pesticides.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Factory built and prefab housing has come a long way from the 80s/90s and some of it you’d never even know, like multi floor apartments and such

The shipping container thing is just a dumb aesthetic to call attention to itself

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

it kinda seems like the latest round of tiny house poo poo started when there were Google engineers living in conversion vans in the Google parking lot lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

it kinda seems like the latest round of tiny house poo poo started when there were Google engineers living in conversion vans in the Google parking lot lol

Google does not and has never employed engineers

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

:ok:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Factory built and prefab housing has come a long way from the 80s/90s and some of it you’d never even know, like multi floor apartments and such

The shipping container thing is just a dumb aesthetic to call attention to itself

You can’t put prefab onto a containership easily.

but lmao you can’t put a container house on one easily either.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

that's not true. one of my fellow civil engineering buddies from uc davis ended up being hired as a Real Estate Project Executive at google, which im pretty sure means he gets paid 300k to spend 1 or 2 hours a week going "yeah we should buy this property off bayshore blvd for our software guys, it's dope. k cya"

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

that's not true. one of my fellow civil engineering buddies from uc davis ended up being hired as a Real Estate Executive at google, which im pretty sure means he gets paid 300k to spend 1 or 2 hours a week going "yeah we should buy this property off bayshore blvd for our software guys, it's dope. k cya"

Correction: Google has employed one (1) engineer

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Correction: Google has employed one (1) engineer

that's correct

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh/1325-Methyl-St-15216/home/74512622

They took a 100 year old house and renovated it to add an en suite bathroom + a laundry nook on the second floor and in doing so knocked out all the closet space. hope you like stacking your poo poo in the corners I guess

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A gas leaf blower is essentially a car's exhaust pipe. Barbaric tool.

pretty cool for blowing tear gas back at cops

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Use an electric one!!!

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Use an electric one!!!

internal combustion is great at creating hot gas, though

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Smug Mug posted:

internal combustion is great at creating hot gas, though

So am I, after chili night.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

afaik the original use case was less about them being pre-fab and more about them being non-permanent structures. I’ve personally worked on projects in the commercial sector where they were used for this purpose—no foundation or footprint it’s just a shipping container (or a big stack of them) that someone happened to install windows, electrical, fiber internet and hvac into so it’s technically Not A Building.

TheSlutPit has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Dec 22, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i figured those things were for the foreman at a north dakota tar sands site

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

i say swears online posted:

yeah i figured those things were for the foreman at a north dakota tar sands site

they get a lotta use as shops and offices in industry and transportation.

I’ve seen them overseas used as full stacked temporary office buildings with exterior temporary staircases built.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

roommate/landlord told me his parents' gasline is out so they need to have their Christmas party here. he's in Missouri for the week. the last time there was a party here he peaced out and it took me three solid days and seven loads of dishes to get it mostly back to normal, still need to clean the stovetop. I told him no, that I veto the plan and so far he's only responding with "lul". I'm loving furious

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

roommate/landlord told me his parents' gasline is out so they need to have their Christmas party here. he's in Missouri for the week. the last time there was a party here he peaced out and it took me three solid days and seven loads of dishes to get it mostly back to normal, still need to clean the stovetop. I told him no, that I veto the plan and so far he's only responding with "lul". I'm loving furious

Establish dominance by loving one of his family members

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Barricade the doors

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Establish dominance by loving one of his family members

Grandma got ramrodded by I say swears…

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hey she's a looker

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I know that density is good, especially in a place like l.a., but a teardown for a home like this to be replaced by only a duplex should be a crime.

https://twitter.com/esotouric/status/1611568549524299777

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that house is ugly as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Yeah idk about preserving old mansions just cause

Or is this Willa projecting?