Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

When I’m not using my Deck it’s sleeping, and there doesn’t seem to be a way to tell it to stay awake or wake up to keep updates coming. Also Steam at least on desktop likes to schedule updates for a few days out, presumably to flatten CDN load for people you aren’t actively playing the games, but I am obsessive about updating so it doesn’t please me.

Yeah with the desktop client I manually queue the updates because I have to let them process when I'm not using the connection for other things due to the aforementioned bottleneck.

With the Dreck, I was suggesting that you could power it on or wake it up before you need to use it; it doesn't need to be on 24/7 just in case a new update becomes available, you just need to manually wake it say at the beginning of the day or whatever. It'll stay on for the updates and then eventually put itself back to sleep.

Unlucky7 posted:

I haven't thought to play with the power settings, so I will try that. From here and the other guides I am seeing, the first thing I should try is to lower the frame/refresh rate to 40 or 30, then the TDP?

For most games that don't have a problem with it, you can keep the display refresh rate set to 40 Hz, and then keep the frame limiter at 40 FPS.

For the TDP, you get diminishing returns from 5 W as you approach the 15 W limit; 10 or 11 W is a good compromise between performance and endurance. (There are certainly games that will run fine on much less than that, but the suggested limit is a "set it and forget it" option. You could run your own benchmarks to see if different values work better for the games you play.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

What's the best Symphony of the Night that isn't made by Igarashi?

Been playin' a lot of Vampire Survivors (DLC just dropped), now my playlist is giving me Ren Faire Prog Slow Jams (by a band aptly named "The Guildmaster"), so I'm in a spooky-but-less-bombastic mood.

Metroid Dread 😈

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I ended up following a guide to tweak the vram and a few other options and I am very happy with the performance increase.

Now that I feel a bit more comfortable I think I will try my hand at emulation.

Also how easy is it to play Dwarf Fortress with just the controller? I don't have a dock, monitor, keyboard, and mouse right now but I really want to play it!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm finally going to try to get RDR2 working from the Rockstar Launcher today using this guide. One of the steps is to increase the VRAM. Is this 3-month old reddit post still the best way to do it? I didn't find a guide for this in the OP.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/x897f1/quick_and_dirty_read_dead_redemption_2_fix/

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 17, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm finally going to try to get RDR2 working from the Rockstar Launcher today. One of the steps is the increase the VRAM. Is this 3-month old reddit post still the best way to do it? I didn't find a guide for this in the OP.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/x897f1/quick_and_dirty_read_dead_redemption_2_fix/

Yeah, that works fine.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Metroid Dread 😈

Hard disagree. Dread is a highly polished Metroid game but lacks all of the RPG elements that are part and parcel of SoTN. If you go in expecting a SoTN game you'll be sorely disappointed, Dread is extremely rigid in comparison.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’m sure it’s been discussed but I can’t find it. I’m about to load Horizon Zero Dawn on my deck, it’s going to be a bit waiting on the download. Any tips on what settings I should use? I’ve seen reports ranging from it plays perfect as is to its unplayable no matter what on protondb.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Tunic is cool an has some spooky-ish moments!

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well my 256GB Deck + Dock have arrived... at my mother's. I'm spending Christmas there and with the estimated 1-2 weeks delivery to the UK thought I'd better play it safe, but in the end it took 8 days. Got a 512GB SD card so spent last night copying some large existing game files to that to save on download time next week, though from this thread it looks like I should be getting Vampire Survivors.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The deck will have to format that card and wipe it before it can use it so :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, unless you have a Linux PC capable of formatting something to ext4 or a backup for that data you've wasted all that time downloading because the Deck's going to undo it all, it won't read exFAT or NTFS formatted cards in the built-in uSD slot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loving Moron posted:

Also how easy is it to play Dwarf Fortress with just the controller? I don't have a dock, monitor, keyboard, and mouse right now but I really want to play it!

While I haven’t tried it yet someone else has in this thread and they said it works great. The community profiles are really good with maybe minor tweaks for your tastes.

The deck has a lot of input options so you can literally bind like 100 hot keys.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yes was aware of it needing to be ext4 formatted, which is why I set up an Ubuntu VM and USB passthroughed the card to it, then copied the files onto it over SSH.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

loudog999 posted:

I’m sure it’s been discussed but I can’t find it. I’m about to load Horizon Zero Dawn on my deck, it’s going to be a bit waiting on the download. Any tips on what settings I should use? I’ve seen reports ranging from it plays perfect as is to its unplayable no matter what on protondb.

Use the medium graphics preset and you’ll get a solid 30fps lock, if you want 40 you might want to drop it to low. It defaults to high settings which do not work.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

njsykora posted:

Use the medium graphics preset and you’ll get a solid 30fps lock, if you want 40 you might want to drop it to low. It defaults to high settings which do not work.
Ok sounds good. Thanks.

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.

loudog999 posted:

Here’s a good video with recommended tweaks and several presets (high fps, balanced, pretty):

https://youtu.be/xx9sf47sB9o

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr E posted:

I'm noticing my sticks having more friction on the deck than any controller I've ever used. I know there's hall effect replacements. Am I better off just getting those rubber band things that go on the sticks to stop the friction or is there a recommended stick replacement? If there is, is there also a quieter fan replacement since I'll be inside the deck anyway, and does all of this void any warranty the deck has? The stick and fan issues aren't huge deals right now but I'd rather fix them early than waiting til there's an actual problem or the fan gets noisier.

I'm getting my RMA from this back today. Replacing the sticks won't fix the issue. The white part of the stick is rubbing on the shell. RMA or sand the circle around the stick after disassembly. The new hall effect sticks reuse the white parts of the OEM sticks so if yours are scratched up like mine were, that won't change anything for you. You'd need to buy brand new ones from ifixit or RMA. You can see where I ended up. :v:

I'm putting the rubber bands on my new one when I get it back. I bought a pack of 10 from Amazon so if anybody wants to PM for a free set (since it's Christmas, I'll pay for your stamp lol) I have a few extra sets. Criminal that they're as expensive as they are.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 17, 2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

is there a slider or something in the OS to loosen up app/system permission settings generally by a large margin? there's a lot of stuff that i feel like permissions could be the problem, for example i never figured out how to do things like upload a file to gmail/an image hosting site

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Playing River City Girls 2. It came out with some weird 30 fps lock but you can opt into a beta branch that fixes it to run at 60.

Seems to work great on the deck, already unlocking moves and enjoying myself.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

loving Moron posted:

Extremely playable. Use the "most popular" button mapping, I forget the name, but it has some smart click wheels for hotkeys.

It has become my #1 game on the deck.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

PantsBandit posted:

Playing River City Girls 2. It came out with some weird 30 fps lock but you can opt into a beta branch that fixes it to run at 60.

How well does this nail the feel of the original RCR? I didn't get around to playing RCG1, and I probably should have.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How well does this nail the feel of the original RCR? I didn't get around to playing RCG1, and I probably should have.

Didn't play RCR so I can't give a great answer unfortunately. You're roaming around a cartoony city fighting cheerleaders and dudes with pompadours if that's what you mean?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm finally going to try to get RDR2 working from the Rockstar Launcher today using this guide.

This works! And amazingly, it can keep a solid 45FPS in most situations!

edit: It stays above 30, but Van Horn is a struggle, I assume, due to all the particle effects. I pulled the refresh down to 40, and it feels pretty decent overall. No crashes with multiple save loads in the same session, however, it bled the battery. Maybe 1.5 hours of playtime?

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 18, 2022

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

homeless snail posted:

Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

I'm a sucker for thing that have Labyrinth in the name and visually that looks dead-on. Wishlisted.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Hard disagree. Dread is a highly polished Metroid game but lacks all of the RPG elements that are part and parcel of SoTN. If you go in expecting a SoTN game you'll be sorely disappointed, Dread is extremely rigid in comparison.

Yeah, dunno why Metroid has never really clicked with me. Maybe I'll nab a used Switch copy at some point.

Samopsa posted:

Tunic is cool an has some spooky-ish moments!

I've watched my wife play a lot of this. It's neat!

loudog999 posted:

Just make sure that half-rate shading (or whatever it's called on the quick settings menu) is off or the in-game text will be unreadable.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Carpet posted:

Yes was aware of it needing to be ext4 formatted, which is why I set up an Ubuntu VM and USB passthroughed the card to it, then copied the files onto it over SSH.

Look at mister-actually-prepared over here, well done.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hammer Bro. posted:

What's the best Symphony of the Night that isn't made by Igarashi?

Been playin' a lot of Vampire Survivors (DLC just dropped), now my playlist is giving me Ren Faire Prog Slow Jams (by a band aptly named "The Guildmaster"), so I'm in a spooky-but-less-bombastic mood.

Timespinner is a pretty good Igavania style game.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Anti-Bunny posted:

Extremely playable. Use the "most popular" button mapping, I forget the name, but it has some smart click wheels for hotkeys.

It has become my #1 game on the deck.

Probably would be hard to answer but would this go for new players too? Was thinking of picking this up for my christmas vacation. Aside from dicking around with the free version a few times over the years I am pretty much starting fresh.

Also does it run ok? I have hear it can get quite resource hungry

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PantsBandit posted:

Thanks for the heads up on the beta branch. The 30fps lock was a huge bummer and the beta seems to run flawlessly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Since I've been messing with more advanced settings tweaking I decided to try and get some Xbox games running again, and either the settings tweaks I've made are working great or Xemu got way better because I can actually use the speed boost in JSRF and play DOA3 at full speed now.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Science_enthusiast posted:

Probably would be hard to answer but would this go for new players too? Was thinking of picking this up for my christmas vacation. Aside from dicking around with the free version a few times over the years I am pretty much starting fresh.

Also does it run ok? I have hear it can get quite resource hungry

In more or less the sea boat as you and I'd say yeah. There's even a tutorial now! Runs as well as it runs on anything.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is anyone mostly using their Deck as an emulation device via EmuDeck? I'm always paranoid about the experience being compromised or decision paralysis over is this the best way to play these games currently? On paper for me it's perfect, I've been looking for the holy grail of big handheld emulation beast for ages, and this seems to be about it and I already own one. All I'm interested in is PS2 and under emulation... I just worry it's still a little too fiddly to be a great experience. I'm probably being dumb about this lol.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they just pushed an emudeck update actually. description says it has some homebrew games, i hope just as an option

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Emudeck and drop ROMs / bios files in the appropriate folders is the least fiddly emulation experience I've ever had. Turns out with a set hardware configuration you can streamline things considerably. And basically anything PS2 or earlier should run great.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Is anyone mostly using their Deck as an emulation device via EmuDeck? I'm always paranoid about the experience being compromised or decision paralysis over is this the best way to play these games currently? On paper for me it's perfect, I've been looking for the holy grail of big handheld emulation beast for ages, and this seems to be about it and I already own one. All I'm interested in is PS2 and under emulation... I just worry it's still a little too fiddly to be a great experience. I'm probably being dumb about this lol.

Are you me? This is basically my use case. Can't wait.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's super easy and owns, most run better than on my actual pc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Decision paralysis is also lessened since you can use Steam Rom Manager to make games show up like any other Steam game in your library, and choose to only show certain systems with everything still being available through Emulation Station. Though the best option for avoiding that remains just limiting the roms/isos on the system to what you're actually actively playing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's literally the easiest thing in the world to set up and there's links in the Discord for all the files you'll need to get up and running. And yes, this is the best device for emulation. Fear not dear friend.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Does Emudeck offer advantages over just installing your emulators separately? The only game I’m emulating now is Wind Waker HD with cemu, and other than the need to go into desktop mode if I want the toolbar in cemu before I launch WW I haven’t had an issue. The reason I don’t want to install Emudeck is that judging from my history with knockoff Chinese emulating devices, having that many option will send me into a tailspin of finding the “perfect” set of roms for every system, and then after hours of tweaking and setup never play them.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah it lets you go 'i am never setting up or tweaking this thing i am going to actually play a video game instead'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

loudog999 posted:

Does Emudeck offer advantages over just installing your emulators separately? The only game I’m emulating now is Wind Waker HD with cemu, and other than the need to go into desktop mode if I want the toolbar in cemu before I launch WW I haven’t had an issue. The reason I don’t want to install Emudeck is that judging from my history with knockoff Chinese emulating devices, having that many option will send me into a tailspin of finding the “perfect” set of roms for every system, and then after hours of tweaking and setup never play them.

Emudeck sets up folders to put your ROMs and BIOS into, and puts the emulators you choose to install into Steam nicely with pictures. The advantage is in the streamlining, time saving, and uniformity.

Listen to your own concern because that would totally happen if that's what you're like. Maybe use EmuDeck to install exactly one emulator for you when you want to play something specific.