Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bleusilences posted:

What's depressing is these clothes probably cost more they what I earn in a year, she is wearing something out of a Louis Vuitton line.

gently caress I bet her bag alone is worth that.

weird part is the wrist watch who wears a watch these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGDxv3U6m0

also midnights edge had a stupid theory that disney was in on FTX....lol....then something weird igers name gets mentioned. at like 8 minute mark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

MickeyFinn posted:

This has to be a photoshop. The lighting on her face looks wrong to me.

The original is from a different crypto fraud: https://twitter.com/RichardHeartWin/status/1560347968447840262

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sat on my keys! posted:

She does, her dad is the chair of the MIT econ department which makes it even funnier that Alameda was so loving bad at being a hedge fund.

I dunno, gels with everything I've ever heard about Western economics.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

that's one bored ape

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Boxturret posted:

imagine a mutated trump nft series, his eyeballs popping out, all sorts of skin diseases, his flesh melting off, just think of the value

That would be a way to expand their market. If you don't like Trump, you can apply a "Horrific Mutation Juice" to your NFT, and mint a new mutilated Trump.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Still no SBF - Caroline sex tape.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Small mercies.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Enough money to hire a personal tailor who knows what you mean when you ask for "that JoJo look," not enough to hire one who can actually pull it off.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1604258835908001793

As articulately pointed out elsewhere: "why he look like doughboy bebop"

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
SBF literally could not stop playing League of Legends on his twitter space apology calls his dopamine receptors are completely fried he is in agony in jail.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

SBF literally could not stop playing League of Legends on his twitter space apology calls his dopamine receptors are completely fried he is in agony in jail.

https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1592339195720134657

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'll play DotA during meetings for billions of VC money, HMU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
poo poo i've been playing videogames in meetings for years. It's called Work from home and muting your microphone.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Murderion posted:

By white-shoe lawyers do you mean the shoes are sneakers or are they like fancy spectator brogues or tapdancing spats please tell me this it is vitally important to me

White shoe refers to the grade of lawyer a certain former reality TV host hasn't been able to hire in several years

https://abovethelaw.com/2022/09/donald-trump-has-the-kind-of-lawyers-you-get-when-you-offer-to-pay-your-attorneys-in-livestock-if-at-all/

Clarence
May 3, 2012

He fully expects to be let out on bail, or go to trial quickly and be found innocent, doesn't he?

What's the usual sort of sentence for the charges he's facing? 10-20 years?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Clarence posted:

He fully expects to be let out on bail, or go to trial quickly and be found innocent, doesn't he?

What's the usual sort of sentence for the charges he's facing? 10-20 years?

Madoff got 150 years, Theranos lady got 17, anyone's guess really

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Failkids are allowed to play with money, even rich people's money, they have to piss off someone real powerful real hard to get more than a smack on the wrist.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Extremely funny that this idiot spent weeks running his mouth off and incriminating himself and he’s now had the tiniest taste of life in the slammer and shat his pants immediately.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Think how horrible this must be for him. His only entertainment is the one he hates most... Books.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
League of Legend popup book

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
if hideo kojima made a video game that subtly critiques capitalism, there would be a character called Bank Fraudman

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Madoff got 150 years, Theranos lady got 17, anyone's guess really

Holmes got 11, didn’t she? Balwani got 13

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Holmes also didn't use the stolen money to enrich herself, which apparently matters a lot for sentencing.

SBF bought all sorts of mansions and poo poo with his money.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Trillhouse posted:

Holmes also didn't use the stolen money to enrich herself, which apparently matters a lot for sentencing.

shrimp, he bought millions of shrimp and ate them. because he's vegan.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
it's okay to eat shrimp 'cuz they don't have any feelings

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

shrimp, he bought millions of shrimp and ate them.

Makes sense, since he was a crypto whale.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/12/17/sbf-prison-bahamas/

quote:

NASSAU, Bahamas — Sam Bankman-Fried, the disgraced and indicted former cryptocurrency executive, spends his days in a Bahamian jail watching movies and reading news articles about himself, holding out a sliver of hope that he will be granted bail and soon leave, according to a prison official who interacts with him on a regular basis.

Bankman-Fried might also soon decide to give up fighting extradition and allow himself to be brought to the United States to face charges, the official said.

Days after he arrived at the prison known as Fox Hill, Bankman-Fried remains in “good spirits” in the facility’s sick bay, where he has been undergoing a medical evaluation for several days, and he has expressed confidence that his lawyers will persuade a judge to grant him bail after their first attempt failed, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

But if the lawyers’ efforts at bail were to fail, Bankman-Fried would then waive his right to fight extradition and go back to the United States to “face the music,” he told the official on Friday morning in a brief exchange.
Reuters reported Saturday evening that the former FTX executive is expected to appear in court on Monday for a hearing to reverse his decision to fight extradition.

The official described the young ex-billionaire as “a little arrogant,” but overall “a nice guy” who has kept to himself and seemed “awfully scared” during his first days at the prison. He wouldn’t laugh when the other men held in the same room jokingly asked him how he managed to make so much money.

Earlier this week, as Bankman-Fried was watching a local TV news report about himself, the official asked him how he felt. He responded unperturbed: “It’s okay, I will deal with it,” the official recalled.

Bankman-Fried’s lawyers did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Missed this article that explains what his stay in prison is like.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Think how horrible this must be for him. His only entertainment is the one he hates most... Books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkS9EO42UVQ

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The various wire frauds have sentencing maxes of 30 years, so per the sentencing guidelines, with an economic loss of greater than $550 million without any prior criminal history that's an offense level of 37 with a band of 210-262 months (17.5 to 22 years) per charge. However, this starts getting into sentencing alchemy that I'm not really qualified to make confident statements about what he'll actually get, but the gist is that he's in serious trouble. Also unlike Holmes I seriously doubt that the case will be very complex, since the fraud was straightforward and there are so many incriminating statements.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
So will the number of counts of fraud be per user or per transaction?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

his reddit ama will be legendary

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

In the case of fraud like this usually it's per "type" basis. If I advertise that my FDIC insured bank is super duper secure while knowing it's a shack in the middle of the woods that the FDIC has no idea about, and I get 100 depositors, that's one count of wire fraud and a count of bank related fraud. Madoff made multiple different misrepresentations to multiple different types of parties over an extended period of time, which is why he got nailed with so many different charges. Same with Holmes. SBF (so far) is being nailed for lying about how he would handle customer funds, plus campaign related stuff. Maybe we'll get a superceding indictment that piles it on more, but odds are there's enough low-hanging fruit in the current one to put him away for a long time.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/DataFinnovation/status/1604423045564682241?t=0avn2inCyc0eIURB-vbLXg&s=19

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

it's just nice to see "never talk without a lawyer" be validated by some of his statements after the crash showing up in the indictments. people were seriously thinking he was getting away with it and that his stupid "plan" was working. meanwhile, actual lawyers were like "woah he just gave mens rea out. just blurted it out."

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Trillhouse posted:

Holmes was loving with peoples healthcare though, not just their funny internet money. Bankman-Fried is also young and dumb enough that he might be able to get off light. Really depends on what they find in the investigation. I'm sure they're going to dig up quite a bit of slimy behavior by him that will undermine this idea of him being naive. We already know he was misleading investors about the state of FTX's finances. If there's enough lies and enough evidence to show he was a straight up conman, they might end up trying to make an example out of him.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, from what I've heard, SBF's main problem is the amount of money involved is so huge it just blows through the upper range of sentence guidelines and he's hosed regardless of any white collar/first time offender pleas he might make in mitigation.

That much money means the hammer is coming down.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Kind of hoping he tries to prove that the actual money he lost was less than the stated valuation of the digital assets. Just bring down the whole thing to protect himself.

It won't help him, but it would be super funny.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Tricky Ed posted:

Kind of hoping he tries to prove that the actual money he lost was less than the stated valuation of the digital assets. Just bring down the whole thing to protect himself.

It won't help him, but it would be super funny.

People do that all the time with Kovel accountants (I've been engaged to do that to get reductions in sentencing guideline ranges, projected tax losses, etc.)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

kw0134 posted:

The various wire frauds have sentencing maxes of 30 years, so per the sentencing guidelines, with an economic loss of greater than $550 million without any prior criminal history that's an offense level of 37 with a band of 210-262 months (17.5 to 22 years) per charge. However, this starts getting into sentencing alchemy that I'm not really qualified to make confident statements about what he'll actually get, but the gist is that he's in serious trouble. Also unlike Holmes I seriously doubt that the case will be very complex, since the fraud was straightforward and there are so many incriminating statements.

He's a prosecutors dream tbh

"I have committed these crimes, and here's how it happened" is like a wet dream for any prosecuting attorney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
if i just honestly explain what happened, i'm sure the authorities will understand and go easy on me. i mean, it always worked with mom and dad