Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

The curse of the prequels is that they infantilised their audience. Cutesy side characters, goofy names - Lucas revealed he'd been making films for small children all along. Star Wars nerds really, really don't like being told they're not the target audience - and worse, Lucas rubbed it in their faces that they never had been!

Lucas was trying to do big, family-friendly blockbuster stuff that would appeal to kids who wanted to see funny aliens and cool space armour and to adults who'd grown up with the original trilogy and extensive merchandising and tie-in fiction and were now taking their kids to see the new Star Wars films. It's why the films have these big ideas about the fall of the Republic and spend so much time on politics, but also have Jar-Jar and R2D2's factory adventures.

e; also slavery is pretty clearly there as an example of the Jedi having lost the plot because they don't care about helping people. It's a problem because Jedi Suck, not because the films want to say anything about slavery.

(It absolutely does come up in the films, in the context of the Jedi doing jack poo poo for Anakin's mother in Phantom Menace, which results in her death, which results in Anakin's fear of losing people close to him, which is what Palpatine uses to turn him.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Rise is the only SW film that I actively detested and hated on watch. It was by far the worst SW film I have seen, including the side-films.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

If I want to make my own deck of cards but I want them to look professional quality, what are my options? All cut to the same size, nicely printed, like they came out of a retail box.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Loxbourne posted:

The curse of the prequels is that they infantilised their audience. Cutesy side characters, goofy names - Lucas revealed he'd been making films for small children all along. Star Wars nerds really, really don't like being told they're not the target audience - and worse, Lucas rubbed it in their faces that they never had been!

The other quirk of course is that the Republic's "problems" have shifted with audience expectations. In the films nobody cares about slavery and it doesn't even come up. Secondary material may have tacked to the changing winds of audience tastes and raised that critique, but it sure as heck wasn't onscreen at any point.
Nothing says child friendly like trade politics.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
In the films, (almost) no one cares about slavery but it comes up constantly. Critics and fans alike pick up on it; if you listen to the We Hate Movies review of TPM you'll hear them be like "why the gently caress does slavery keep coming up??" as a common refrain.

Why do they? Well, it was there from the very first movie. Luke meets Obi-Wan in the course of chasing down an escaped slave. So in fact the prequels are a return to form, a corrective.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Splicer posted:

Nothing says child friendly like trade politics.

So far nobody has argued that the prequels were well executed.

TBH the most interesting thing about the prequels at this point is the at-time nerd backlash against reviewers, which lead to EpII having a higher general reception than EpI, despite being a definitely worse movie, which at this point I primarily attribute to some reviewers deciding it just wasn't worth the headache of dealing with SW nerds to give honest opinions.

Cool Dad posted:

If I want to make my own deck of cards but I want them to look professional quality, what are my options? All cut to the same size, nicely printed, like they came out of a retail box.

Just making sure this doesn't get lost, but the most straightforward but certainly not cheapest option would be to, well, get a professional publisher. If you're just trying to publish a single deck of cards (or like...less than 100) then you won't benefit from the economies of scale, but there are bespoke micro publishers like printify https://printify.com/custom-playing-cards/ that will go down to single runs.

If you don't have designs ready to go and you're looking to pay a professional designer, I can hook you up but it's never going to be cheap.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

theironjef posted:

I dunno, have you ever tried to talk about any other Spider-Man movie without some horrid nerd coming in to say nothing will ever be as good as Tobey "I'm a 35 year old high school student and my every expression radiates "Did I smell a fart just now"" Maguire?

Yes. But mostly when talking about Into The Multiverse. Which is, of course, the best Spider-Man movie.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

neonchameleon posted:

Yes. But mostly when talking about Into The Multiverse. Which is, of course, the best Spider-Man movie.

Spiderverse. I think it's one of the best marvel movies, if not the best

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Spiderverse is really good but omg everyone, no point you're trying to make about the Star Wars Prequels or MCU fresh or insightful enough that it hasn't already been argued to death in the past 10 years on these forums.

Cool Dad posted:

If there's any still-extant office supply stores or Fedex Office type places, you could probably get cards printed on some study glossy cardboard there? I don't know if they offer an option to pre-cut the cards out though. You may need to carefully do that by hand. If you use the dimensions of playing cards or MTG cards you could probably slot the cards into some sleeves to help hide any imperfections if you need to hand-cut them.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Cool Dad posted:

I've used https://www.makeplayingcards.com/ for the past couple years to print out magic card sized cards (though they do like every size imaginable) as prize supports for some tabletop events I help run. Great quality, reasonable prices, would def recommend

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Is there a SA thread on escape rooms? - the last one i could find was from 2014 and here in TG.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I do not know of one.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Might be better suited for LAN?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

discount cathouse posted:

Is there a SA thread on escape rooms? - the last one i could find was from 2014 and here in TG.

I'd be interested in reading this, since I have no idea what these are but my coworkers talk about these all the time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I'd be interested in reading this, since I have no idea what these are but my coworkers talk about these all the time.
Newgrounds flash pixel-hunt adventure game but IRL.

This is not an un-endorsement.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cool Dad posted:

If you're just looking for a few, Drivethrucards prints some pretty nice card decks complete with boxes and such.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

Newgrounds flash pixel-hunt adventure game but IRL.

This is not an un-endorsement.

I think escape rooms as a design predate most of the online versions - but their public availability doesn’t. They showed up quite often on children’s game shows on UK TV even in the early 80s.

I would be interested in learning more about them and if there’s a standard on design practices. Given the number of them (there are at least four in my medium sized town - four rooms, that is, not four venues) it seems the only requirement to design one is to have money and a sufficiently large ego, which jars with the fact that puzzle design ain’t easy. Given they can use “no spoiler” policies to avoid reviews, it looks a very lemony market.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I made a thread for it but the downside is, its in GBS. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019994

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't know that I'd ever read an escape room thread. It basically feels like it would be full of spoilers for puzzles that might get reused in rooms I'm in, and that would take a lot of the fun out of it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Does anyone have a favorite prompt for Ten Candles? Running it again on Wednesday and I felt like my first time running it the generic "Make it from point A to point B" prompt worked, but I want to try something a bit different since I have a returning player.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone tried this?

https://freeleaguepublishing.com/en/store/?collection_id=407042053

Looks cool

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I did. Rules wise is your standard attribute+skill using d6. Setting is arabian nights+serenity/eve online. My big beef with this game is that it lacks solid description of various factions, and what exists is mostly coffined to railroady metaplot adventures.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Countblanc posted:

a met someone on Tinder a few months back who cringed when i told her I played in a 4e game and said that she hadnt played it but that it "sounded like a misguided but functional game, like the star wars prequels". she also lamented that 5e made designing encounters too hard, specifically too hard to reliably kill players.

Was she wrong? 4e came out of an era where everyone wanted to be "the next wow" and the designers should've just made an MMO instead of trying to shoehorn that stuff into d&d

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mila kunis posted:

Was she wrong? 4e came out of an era where everyone wanted to be "the next wow" and the designers should've just made an MMO instead of trying to shoehorn that stuff into d&d
Teeheehee

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

mila kunis posted:

:siren::siren:

Umm

Blades In The Dark!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh goodness

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

In anno loving domini 20-god drat 22, how did you really expect that to go.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

In anno loving domini 20-god drat 22, how did you really expect that to go.

Some people live under rocks when it comes to RPGs I should know I’m one of them

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed playing and running 4e. :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Podima posted:

I can't believe you played tabletop wow. I bet you even used that "grid" thing that was directly imported from wow and and never existed in D&D before nor since you filthy degenerate

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Splicer posted:

I can't believe you played tabletop wow. I bet you even used that "grid" thing that was directly imported from wow and and never existed in D&D before nor since you filthy degenerate

4e is tabletop WoW because you have abilities in 4e, something that has never happened in D&D before.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It rules that on a slow work day you apparently can just roll in and drop the limpest decade old bait in this thread and watch everyone stumbledick around about how bad and wrong it is.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Podima posted:

I enjoyed playing it. It reminded me of Blood Bowl :orks: Just wish the combat wasn't so darn glacial.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
4e was the first time that Action Points(/action dice/inspiration/etc.) were formalized in the rules, right? I was using a houserule for Action Dice in 3.5 before I swapped to 4e, and my players always thought it was such a blast busting out that extra action in a pinch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Podima posted:

How's those disassociated mechanics working out for you? :smuggo:

Oh? Quite well? I see.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr. Maltose posted:

It rules that on a slow work day you apparently can just roll in and drop the limpest decade old bait in this thread and watch everyone stumbledick around about how bad and wrong it is.
People having a little fun with someone (possibly) doing the "jokes on them I was only pretending" comic? Not on your watch!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

mila kunis posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I know this point has already been argued to death but 4e's grid dependence and pretty strict turn based setup would translate really badly to mmo mechanics. It should have been adapted into several final fantasy tactics alikes, but sadly there was just one not especially great psp game.

Ironically the 3.5 based D&D MMO had far fewer changes for video game adaptation than the eventual 4th ed MMO.

Podima posted:

4e was the first time that Action Points(/action dice/inspiration/etc.) were formalized in the rules, right? I was using a houserule for Action Dice in 3.5 before I swapped to 4e, and my players always thought it was such a blast busting out that extra action in a pinch.
They were an Eberron mechanic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Terrible Opinions posted:

I know this point has already been argued to death but 4e's grid dependence and pretty strict turn based setup would translate really badly to mmo mechanics. It should have been adapted into several final fantasy tactics alikes, but sadly there was just one not especially great psp game.

Ironically the 3.5 based D&D MMO had far fewer changes for video game adaptation than the eventual 4th ed MMO.

They were an Eberron mechanic.

yeah it was always closer to an SRPG than Wow

also wow was really fun when you were put to a stretch in a small group combat

Doctor Epitaph
Dec 22, 2008
The best way to play 4e in 2022 is Lancer, right? A guy in our group had brought it up once our current adventure is over and I'd really like to try playing something like that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Doctor Epitaph posted:

The best way to play 4e in 2022 is Lancer, right? A guy in our group had brought it up once our current adventure is over and I'd really like to try playing something like that again.

Maybe Icon when it’s done too???

¯\_(ツ)_/¯